|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7: "Shuck This Corn".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the names of the two men who helped Denmark Vesey in the resurrection by building homemade pikes?
(a) Henry K. Durrant and George Ticknor Curtis.
(b) Charles Nalle and John A. Andrew.
(c) Peter Poyas and Mingo Harth.
(d) John Chase and William Bailey.
2. Denmark Vesey bought his freedom when he was how old, according to the narrator in Chapter 2: “The First Years”?
3. What special day occurred at the end of the month, according to the narrator in Chapter 3: “Six Years Old”?
(a) Remission day.
(b) Tax day.
(c) Arbor day.
(d) Issue day.
4. According to the narrator in Chapter 2: “The First Years,” Denmark Vesey quoted the following from what book in the Old Testament before the resurrection: “Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee”?
(a) The Book of Habakkuk.
(b) The Book of Zechariah.
(c) The Book of Exodus.
(d) The Book of Ezekiel.
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 5: “Flight,” the chain gang walked down a “long, terrible road that ended” where?
(a) Dallas or Houston.
(b) Little Rock or Texarkana.
(c) Jackson or Atlanta.
(d) New Orleans or Natchez.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mrs. Cook’s profession in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
2. What ailment did Harriet contract while working for the Cooks in Chapter 4: “Hired Out”?
3. When did the American Revolutionary War take place?
4. Who told Harriet that Edward Brodas had died in Chapter 7: “Shuck this Corn”?
5. What Secretary of State was persuaded in 1826 to ask the Canadian government to work out a plan to return runaway slaves to their owners?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)