|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Hoopoe remind Haroun of?
2. Do Floating Gardeners like to talk?
3. How does Haroun react when he hears the name "Khattam-Shud"?
4. What is Rashid's reaction to the news of Soraya's disappearance?
5. Why does Iff agree to take Haroun to Gup City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the P2C2E house and where is it located?
2. Why does Soraya choose to leave her family?
3. Why do the Page uniforms feature strange stories with Bolo's name in them?
4. Describe Buttoo.
5. What does Dull Lake look like?
6. What does Prince Bolo think of Batcheat?
7. Why does Butt agree to help Haroun by driving him to the Valley of K?
8. Describe Iff and where he comes from.
9. Describe what Plentimaw Fish look like.
10. Why were Batcheat and her handmaidens at Chattery's Wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haroun and Blabbermouth share a relationship that is unique to the other characters. Both characters are nearly the same age and they have an ongoing struggle that exists within the foundations of their friendship. Write an essay that explains why Haroun and Blabbermouth's friendship is important to the plot of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What do Haroun and Blabbermouth have in common other than their age? Why do Haroun and Blabbermouth constantly struggle and bicker with one another? Could their relationship every flourish into love? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Salman Rushdie named many of his characters and locations after Hindustani words and figures. Haroun himself is named after a legendary figure of Baghdad. Write an essay that explains which characters and locations were derived from Hindustani, and what their meanings are. How did Salman Rushdie relate these characters to their real life meanings? Are the characters in the book privy to this information? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
The world of Kahani features many literary-themed components. Among these are the Pages of the Gup Army, and the Sea of Stories itself. Write an essay that explains how writing and literature is important to Earth's second watery moon, Kahani. How does the name Kahani itself tie into the themes of literature and writing? Why are the Pages of the Gup Army organized into Chapters and Volumes? How does the Stream of Stories work and what is its purpose? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)