|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blabbermouth think of Batcheat?
2. How do the bus drivers tease the passengers wanting to get on the buses?
3. How does the Hoopoe communicate?
4. What is the Mystery of Bezaban?
5. Who is Blabbermouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Plentimaw Fish look like.
2. Why are the cities of Gup and Chup separated from each other?
3. Who is Oneeta?
4. Why are Haroun and the other passengers frightened of Butt's driving?
5. Describe Mali.
6. Describe Iff and where he comes from.
7. Why do the Page uniforms feature strange stories with Bolo's name in them?
8. What is a Hoopoe?
9. Why does Butt agree to help Haroun by driving him to the Valley of K?
10. Describe Haroun.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Writing style is an important element of fiction writing. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of the author, Salman Rushdie. Address various components of writing such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
The world of Kahani features many literary-themed components. Among these are the Pages of the Gup Army, and the Sea of Stories itself. Write an essay that explains how writing and literature is important to Earth's second watery moon, Kahani. How does the name Kahani itself tie into the themes of literature and writing? Why are the Pages of the Gup Army organized into Chapters and Volumes? How does the Stream of Stories work and what is its purpose? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
"Haroun and the Sea of Stories" concludes with a happy ending. Haroun and Rashid return home a success, Rashid is able to tell stories once more. Soraya returns home after realizing the faults of Mr. Sengupta, and the citizens of the sad city now remember the city's name. Write an essay that explores the conclusion of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What happens when Haroun goes to sleep after his return home? Why does he tell Butt the Hoopoe that he does not want to go anywhere? Does Butt understand his reasons for not wanting to go anywhere? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)