|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Blabbermouth's hair?
2. What does Haorun think Butt's hair is like?
3. Who sneaks into Buttoo's houseboat while Rashid and Haroun are sleeping?
4. What happens to Rashid at the end of Chapter 1?
5. Who is Blabbermouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Butt the Hoopoe not move his beak when he speaks?
2. Describe Rashid.
3. What is the P2C2E house and where is it located?
4. Why are Haroun and the other passengers frightened of Butt's driving?
5. What is Moody Land?
6. What does the Bezaban idol look like?
7. Why does Haroun name his Hoopoe Butt?
8. Why are Guppees unsure of what to do with spies?
9. Describe Blabbermouth.
10. Describe Buttoo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world of Kahani features many literary-themed components. Among these are the Pages of the Gup Army, and the Sea of Stories itself. Write an essay that explains how writing and literature is important to Earth's second watery moon, Kahani. How does the name Kahani itself tie into the themes of literature and writing? Why are the Pages of the Gup Army organized into Chapters and Volumes? How does the Stream of Stories work and what is its purpose? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of happiness is prevalent throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". After all is said and done, and the Walrus offers Haroun a favor, he asks for a happy ending for everyone. Write an essay that explains why happiness is important to Haroun. Is Haroun typically an unhappy person? Why does he wish for happiness? Who is he thinking of when he makes his request to the Walrus? Does the Walrus agree that happiness is a good thing? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
Every adventure story must have its hero. Haroun is the hero of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Yet even though he saves Kahani, he does not think of himself as a savior. Write an essay that explains why Haroun is a hero to the people of Kahani. What is a hero? What makes Haroun a hero? Why does he not think of himself as heroic? Why do the citizens of Gup appreciate him? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)