|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is King Chattergy?
2. Why does Iff give Haroun the story water to drink?
3. Which animal does Haroun's bed take the shape of?
4. Where is the Land of Chup located?
5. What is the entirety of Gup's army called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the cities of Gup and Chup separated from each other?
2. Why does Butt stop at the vista outside of the Tunell of I?
3. Why are Guppees unsure of what to do with spies?
4. How does Rashid react to his wife's disappearance?
5. What happens to the Ocean of Kahani when it is polluted?
6. What does Gup City look like?
7. What is a Hoopoe?
8. Describe what Plentimaw Fish look like.
9. Describe Haroun.
10. Describe Blabbermouth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence and war are minor themes in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Toward the end of the story, the cities of Gup and Chup go to war. Write an essay that explores how Salman Rushie is able to convey the ideas of war without extreme violence. Where do most of the casualties of the war come from? How does Salman Rushie convey the idea of battle without bloodshed? Does he show more sympathy for one side than the other? Is his version of war realistic? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Salman Rushdie named many of his characters and locations after Hindustani words and figures. Haroun himself is named after a legendary figure of Baghdad. Write an essay that explains which characters and locations were derived from Hindustani, and what their meanings are. How did Salman Rushdie relate these characters to their real life meanings? Are the characters in the book privy to this information? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
"Haroun and the Sea of Stories" concludes with a happy ending. Haroun and Rashid return home a success, Rashid is able to tell stories once more. Soraya returns home after realizing the faults of Mr. Sengupta, and the citizens of the sad city now remember the city's name. Write an essay that explores the conclusion of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What happens when Haroun goes to sleep after his return home? Why does he tell Butt the Hoopoe that he does not want to go anywhere? Does Butt understand his reasons for not wanting to go anywhere? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)