|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Butt not stop to pick up the mail?
2. Who meets Rashid and Haroun at the railway station?
3. What is the other name for the Parliament of Gup?
4. What is Moody Land?
5. Who is also known as the "Shah of Blah"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Iff and where he comes from.
2. Describe Butt.
3. Describe Blabbermouth.
4. Why do the Page uniforms feature strange stories with Bolo's name in them?
5. Why are the cities of Gup and Chup separated from each other?
6. How does Rashid react to his wife's disappearance?
7. Why were Batcheat and her handmaidens at Chattery's Wall?
8. What does Arabian Nights Plus One look like?
9. What does Prince Bolo think of Batcheat?
10. What happens to the Ocean of Kahani when it is polluted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is important to several of the characters in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Snooty Buttoo in particular values money and possessions above many other things in life. Write an essay that explores the theme of money within the context of the plot. Why does Snooty Buttoo value money and things like his houseboat? Are Haroun and Rashid impressed by grandiose material possessions? Are they themselves rich or poor? What is their opinion of money and do they care for finance? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Writing style is an important element of fiction writing. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of the author, Salman Rushdie. Address various components of writing such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
The world of Kahani features many literary-themed components. Among these are the Pages of the Gup Army, and the Sea of Stories itself. Write an essay that explains how writing and literature is important to Earth's second watery moon, Kahani. How does the name Kahani itself tie into the themes of literature and writing? Why are the Pages of the Gup Army organized into Chapters and Volumes? How does the Stream of Stories work and what is its purpose? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)