|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is General Kitab?
2. Who does the Hoopoe remind Haroun of?
3. Do Floating Gardeners like to talk?
4. Where is Bezaban located?
5. What is Batcheat's biggest flaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Butt the Hoopoe not move his beak when he speaks?
2. Who is Oneeta?
3. What does Gup City look like?
4. Why are Guppees unsure of what to do with spies?
5. Why does Butt stop at the vista outside of the Tunell of I?
6. What does Arabian Nights Plus One look like?
7. What does the Bezaban idol look like?
8. Describe Iff and where he comes from.
9. Describe Blabbermouth.
10. Why are Haroun and the other passengers frightened of Butt's driving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is an important aspect of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Much of the plot revolves around the adventures of Haroun and his father, Rashid. Write an essay that explores the concept of family within the context of the plot. Why is Rashid important to the story? What role does he play both in Haroun's life, and also in the saving of Kahani? Why is Haroun's mother, Soraya, absent for most of the book? Does Haroun and Rashid miss Soraya? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Writing style is an important element of fiction writing. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of the author, Salman Rushdie. Address various components of writing such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)