|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the water look like in Gup City?
2. What is Bezaban made out of?
3. What is the name of Buttoo's houseboat?
4. What does Haroun think of the people they meet at the railway station?
5. Why does Butt not stop to pick up the mail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Buttoo hire Rashid to speak on stage?
2. Why is Haroun embarrassed when he is unable to use his Wishwater properly?
3. Why does Soraya choose to leave her family?
4. What does Dull Lake look like?
5. What is the "Old Zone"?
6. What does Gup City look like?
7. Why were Batcheat and her handmaidens at Chattery's Wall?
8. Why does Haroun name his Hoopoe Butt?
9. Why is Haroun's "princess rescue dream" strange?
10. Why do the Page uniforms feature strange stories with Bolo's name in them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cult of Bezaban worships a giant idol in the Citadel of Chup City. Khattam-Shud is both the overlord of the cult as well as the leader of Chup itself. Write an essay the explains the details of the Cult of Bezaban and its ties to Khattam-Shud. What exactly is the Cult of Bezaban? What do the members of the cult believe in? What is the symbol for the cult? Why is Khattam-Shud the leader of it? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
Writing style is an important element of fiction writing. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of the author, Salman Rushdie. Address various components of writing such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
Blabbermouth is strongest and most important female character in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". She is the only one who plays a pivotal role in the saving of Kahani. Write an essay that explores Blabbermouth's character from a feminist perspective. Why is she a strong feminist character? What are her beliefs on work and society? How is she different from other female characters like Princess Batcheat and Soraya? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)