|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Haroun's attention span last for?
2. Which type of tasty treat does Iff offer Haroun?
3. How does Buttoo dress?
4. How long ago did a bus plunge into the gully?
5. Who does the Hoopoe remind Haroun of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Butt stop at the vista outside of the Tunell of I?
2. Why is Haroun embarrassed when he is unable to use his Wishwater properly?
3. What does Prince Bolo think of Batcheat?
4. Why do the Page uniforms feature strange stories with Bolo's name in them?
5. Why are Haroun and the other passengers frightened of Butt's driving?
6. Who is Oneeta?
7. Describe Haroun.
8. What is a Hoopoe?
9. What happens to the Ocean of Kahani when it is polluted?
10. Why can Rashid only say "ark" when he is on stage in the Town of G?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is important to several of the characters in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Snooty Buttoo in particular values money and possessions above many other things in life. Write an essay that explores the theme of money within the context of the plot. Why does Snooty Buttoo value money and things like his houseboat? Are Haroun and Rashid impressed by grandiose material possessions? Are they themselves rich or poor? What is their opinion of money and do they care for finance? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Salman Rushdie named many of his characters and locations after Hindustani words and figures. Haroun himself is named after a legendary figure of Baghdad. Write an essay that explains which characters and locations were derived from Hindustani, and what their meanings are. How did Salman Rushdie relate these characters to their real life meanings? Are the characters in the book privy to this information? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)