|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the passengers fear for their lives while riding with Butt?
2. What is the Twilight Strip?
3. What is Moody Land?
4. How does Haroun react when he hears the name "Khattam-Shud"?
5. What is a Hoopoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Soraya choose to leave her family?
2. Why does Butt agree to help Haroun by driving him to the Valley of K?
3. What is Moody Land?
4. Why can Rashid only say "ark" when he is on stage in the Town of G?
5. Describe Rashid.
6. Why were Batcheat and her handmaidens at Chattery's Wall?
7. What does Arabian Nights Plus One look like?
8. Why does Buttoo hire Rashid to speak on stage?
9. Describe Buttoo.
10. Why are Guppees unsure of what to do with spies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haroun and Blabbermouth share a relationship that is unique to the other characters. Both characters are nearly the same age and they have an ongoing struggle that exists within the foundations of their friendship. Write an essay that explains why Haroun and Blabbermouth's friendship is important to the plot of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What do Haroun and Blabbermouth have in common other than their age? Why do Haroun and Blabbermouth constantly struggle and bicker with one another? Could their relationship every flourish into love? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Money is important to several of the characters in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Snooty Buttoo in particular values money and possessions above many other things in life. Write an essay that explores the theme of money within the context of the plot. Why does Snooty Buttoo value money and things like his houseboat? Are Haroun and Rashid impressed by grandiose material possessions? Are they themselves rich or poor? What is their opinion of money and do they care for finance? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Family is an important aspect of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Much of the plot revolves around the adventures of Haroun and his father, Rashid. Write an essay that explores the concept of family within the context of the plot. Why is Rashid important to the story? What role does he play both in Haroun's life, and also in the saving of Kahani? Why is Haroun's mother, Soraya, absent for most of the book? Does Haroun and Rashid miss Soraya? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)