|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bezaban made out of?
2. Does Prince Bolo love his betrothed?
3. What is Bezaban?
4. What do the factories around Haroun's home town produce?
5. Where does the Gup army meet before pulling out of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Batcheat and her handmaidens at Chattery's Wall?
2. Why are Haroun and the other passengers frightened of Butt's driving?
3. What is the "Old Zone"?
4. Where did the Walrus get his name from?
5. Describe Butt.
6. What is the Mist of Misery?
7. What happens to the Ocean of Kahani when it is polluted?
8. What is Moody Land?
9. How does Rashid react to his wife's disappearance?
10. Why is Haroun embarrassed when he is unable to use his Wishwater properly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Haroun and Blabbermouth share a relationship that is unique to the other characters. Both characters are nearly the same age and they have an ongoing struggle that exists within the foundations of their friendship. Write an essay that explains why Haroun and Blabbermouth's friendship is important to the plot of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What do Haroun and Blabbermouth have in common other than their age? Why do Haroun and Blabbermouth constantly struggle and bicker with one another? Could their relationship every flourish into love? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Money is important to several of the characters in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Snooty Buttoo in particular values money and possessions above many other things in life. Write an essay that explores the theme of money within the context of the plot. Why does Snooty Buttoo value money and things like his houseboat? Are Haroun and Rashid impressed by grandiose material possessions? Are they themselves rich or poor? What is their opinion of money and do they care for finance? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)