|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other name for the Parliament of Gup?
2. What is Wishwater?
3. Who is King Chattergy?
4. Where do the people of Kahani get their treats from?
5. How does Blabbermouth treat Haroun when they first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Ocean of Kahani when it is polluted?
2. Why is Haroun's "princess rescue dream" strange?
3. What is the "Old Zone"?
4. What does the Bezaban idol look like?
5. What is Moody Land?
6. Why does Butt the Hoopoe not move his beak when he speaks?
7. What is the P2C2E house and where is it located?
8. What is the Mist of Misery?
9. Describe Rashid.
10. Why does Butt stop at the vista outside of the Tunell of I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every adventure story must have its hero. Haroun is the hero of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Yet even though he saves Kahani, he does not think of himself as a savior. Write an essay that explains why Haroun is a hero to the people of Kahani. What is a hero? What makes Haroun a hero? Why does he not think of himself as heroic? Why do the citizens of Gup appreciate him? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Khattam-Shud is the antagonist of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". He is an evil man with a rotten core and dubious ambitions. Write an essay that explores the character of Khattam-Shud. What makes him the antagonist of the story? What are some of his beliefs when it comes to stories and imagination? What is his ultimate goal? What does he want for Earth's second watery moon, Kahani? Does he view the people of Gup as a threat? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)