|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Prince Bolo love his betrothed?
2. How many brother and sisters does Haroun have?
3. Where do the people of Kahani get their treats from?
4. How do Iff and Butt the Hoopoe react to the suspicion of Gup City being at war?
5. How does Haroun react when he hears the name "Khattam-Shud"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Old Zone"?
2. Why are Haroun and the other passengers frightened of Butt's driving?
3. Why does Butt stop at the vista outside of the Tunell of I?
4. What happens to the Ocean of Kahani when it is polluted?
5. What is the Mist of Misery?
6. Who is Oneeta?
7. Why does Buttoo hire Rashid to speak on stage?
8. Why is Haroun's "princess rescue dream" strange?
9. What is a Hoopoe?
10. What does Arabian Nights Plus One look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By far the most prevalent theme in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is that of imagination and fantasy. Rashid is known as the Shah of Blah and the Ocean of Notions, and he is the one from which many stories flow. It is through him that Haroun is first introduced to the ideas of Moody Land and other such fantastical elements. Write an essay that explains why fantasy and imagination are important to the plot of the story. How do Rashid's stories help the protagonist, Haroun, throughout his journey? In what way does fantasy blend with reality to create something greater? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Salman Rushdie named many of his characters and locations after Hindustani words and figures. Haroun himself is named after a legendary figure of Baghdad. Write an essay that explains which characters and locations were derived from Hindustani, and what their meanings are. How did Salman Rushdie relate these characters to their real life meanings? Are the characters in the book privy to this information? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)