|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Haroun's attention span last for?
2. How many brother and sisters does Haroun have?
3. Who meets Rashid and Haroun at the railway station?
4. Does Prince Bolo believe Rashid's story about how he came to be on the planet?
5. What separates the Chuppwalas and the Guppees from each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Haroun name his Hoopoe Butt?
2. Why does Butt agree to help Haroun by driving him to the Valley of K?
3. Why can Rashid only say "ark" when he is on stage in the Town of G?
4. What does the Bezaban idol look like?
5. What is Moody Land?
6. Why are Haroun and the other passengers frightened of Butt's driving?
7. Describe Haroun.
8. What does Dull Lake look like?
9. Describe Mali.
10. Why is Haroun's "princess rescue dream" strange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blabbermouth is strongest and most important female character in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". She is the only one who plays a pivotal role in the saving of Kahani. Write an essay that explores Blabbermouth's character from a feminist perspective. Why is she a strong feminist character? What are her beliefs on work and society? How is she different from other female characters like Princess Batcheat and Soraya? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
Family is an important aspect of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Much of the plot revolves around the adventures of Haroun and his father, Rashid. Write an essay that explores the concept of family within the context of the plot. Why is Rashid important to the story? What role does he play both in Haroun's life, and also in the saving of Kahani? Why is Haroun's mother, Soraya, absent for most of the book? Does Haroun and Rashid miss Soraya? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
"Haroun and the Sea of Stories" concludes with a happy ending. Haroun and Rashid return home a success, Rashid is able to tell stories once more. Soraya returns home after realizing the faults of Mr. Sengupta, and the citizens of the sad city now remember the city's name. Write an essay that explores the conclusion of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What happens when Haroun goes to sleep after his return home? Why does he tell Butt the Hoopoe that he does not want to go anywhere? Does Butt understand his reasons for not wanting to go anywhere? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)