|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Rashid and Haroun forced to buy a bus ticket?
2. What happens when Haroun drinks the story water Iff gives him?
3. What word does Butt start many of his sentences with?
4. What is Batcheat's biggest flaw?
5. Where is Bezaban located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Butt agree to help Haroun by driving him to the Valley of K?
2. Who is Oneeta?
3. Why is Haroun's "princess rescue dream" strange?
4. Describe Buttoo.
5. Describe Rashid.
6. Why does Soraya choose to leave her family?
7. Why are Haroun and the other passengers frightened of Butt's driving?
8. What is the P2C2E house and where is it located?
9. Where did the Walrus get his name from?
10. Why do the Page uniforms feature strange stories with Bolo's name in them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The world of Kahani is fictitious and at the same time real in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The author, Salman Rushdie, goes into great detail explaining how such a place would exist. Write an essay that explores the fictitious world of Kahani. What kind of place is Kahani? What does it look like and what is it made of? Why is it invisible to the people of Earth? What type of people and creatures live on Kahani? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
Writing style is an important element of fiction writing. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of the author, Salman Rushdie. Address various components of writing such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)