|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wishwater?
2. What does Kosh-Mar mean?
3. What vehicle does Butt drive?
4. Who is King Chattergy?
5. Who is Khattam-Shud?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Plentimaw Fish look like.
2. What does Prince Bolo think of Batcheat?
3. What is Moody Land?
4. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
5. Describe the Dark Ship.
6. What does the Bezaban idol look like?
7. Why are the cities of Gup and Chup separated from each other?
8. How does Haroun feel when he is captured by Khattam-Shud's men?
9. What happens to the Ocean of Kahani when it is polluted?
10. Why can Rashid only say "ark" when he is on stage in the Town of G?
Essay Topic 1
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of happiness is prevalent throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". After all is said and done, and the Walrus offers Haroun a favor, he asks for a happy ending for everyone. Write an essay that explains why happiness is important to Haroun. Is Haroun typically an unhappy person? Why does he wish for happiness? Who is he thinking of when he makes his request to the Walrus? Does the Walrus agree that happiness is a good thing? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
The world of Kahani is fictitious and at the same time real in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The author, Salman Rushdie, goes into great detail explaining how such a place would exist. Write an essay that explores the fictitious world of Kahani. What kind of place is Kahani? What does it look like and what is it made of? Why is it invisible to the people of Earth? What type of people and creatures live on Kahani? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)