|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other name for the Parliament of Gup?
2. Where did "The Walrus" get his name from?
3. Who is Rashid?
4. Who is the leader of the Chupwalas?
5. What is Blabbermouth's secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "Old Zone"?
2. What does the Bezaban idol look like?
3. Describe what Plentimaw Fish look like.
4. What does Gup City look like?
5. What does Arabian Nights Plus One look like?
6. Why do the Page uniforms feature strange stories with Bolo's name in them?
7. Describe Blabbermouth.
8. What is a Hoopoe?
9. What does Dull Lake look like?
10. Why were Batcheat and her handmaidens at Chattery's Wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist is the most important character to the plot. Without Haroun there would be no "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Write an essay that explores the different aspects of Haroun's character. What is Haroun like at the beginning of the story? How does his character evolve as the story progresses and he is forced overcome obstacles and problems? How do his interactions with different characters change as the plot progresses? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Every adventure story must have its hero. Haroun is the hero of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Yet even though he saves Kahani, he does not think of himself as a savior. Write an essay that explains why Haroun is a hero to the people of Kahani. What is a hero? What makes Haroun a hero? Why does he not think of himself as heroic? Why do the citizens of Gup appreciate him? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)