|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed about Libertad in Part IV, Chapter 30 that is very surprising?
2. Who has sex on the grave of their first love in Part Six, Chapter twelve?
3. What does Hunt get angry with Harry for using and tells him never to use it again in Part IV, Chapter twenty-one?
4. Who does Harry tell Kittredge in a letter that they are planning on kidnapping in Part Six, Chapter 11?
5. Who arranges a raid on Cuba, although the men never reach their target?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the faulty wiretap scenario in Part V, Chapters 21 - 30 illustrate the problems inherent in serving different interests?
2. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
3. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
4. How does Harry begin to have problems with Chevi in the second part of Mongoose?
5. Who are the famous men that Modene has affairs with?
6. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
7. Why does Arnie Rosen seem to have a grudge against Harry?
8. How does Harry describe the new CIA headquarters from I-J-K-L to Langley?
9. Who is Chevi and how has he become important to the Agency?
10. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Harlot's Ghost" is the story of Harry Hubbard's adventures in the CIA. Analyze the character of Harry from the first few chapters of the text. Who is Harry married to at the beginning of the novel? How did Harry get involved in the CIA? What happened to Kittredge's first husband and her son?
Essay Topic 2
In Part IV, Chapters 14 - 19, of "Harlot's Ghost" many of the characters find themselves at the tipping point, their security being breached, and everybody is reacting secretively. Explore the theme of traditional values breaking apart in the novel, "Harlot's Ghost". What is revealed about Dorothy Hunt, Harvey's wife? What happens to Sally, Harry's mistress at this point in the story? How is Harry's affair with Sally mirrored with the very public affair between the Soviets, who do not realize they are being recorded? How does Nancy posing as Harry's fiancee underlie the strange world that are coming from?
Essay Topic 3
The reader is presented with Kittredge's theory of the Alpha and Omega in Part I, Chapters 5 - 14. Explore the theme of of the Alpha and Omega throughout the novel thus far. . What characters could be examples of the different psyches? How passionate is Kittredge about her work? What does each psyche represent?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)