|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harvey think is acting as an agent of the Kennedy's?
2. During a letter, Harry's father tells him he has reunited with his ex-wife; who is he distraught over committing suicide?
3. Who does Harry learn that Dix tortured, who turned out to have friends in powerful places?
4. Who is now the top agent in Uruguay in Part IV, Chapter twenty-two?
5. In Part IV, Chapter 28, Harry writes a letter to Kittredge and tells her he went to the country with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
2. How does Harry's rise to his father's side mirror the country's expectation that Bobby Kennedy will somehow help to fill the place his brother left?
3. Why does Arnie Rosen seem to have a grudge against Harry?
4. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
5. In Part Six, Chapters 11 - 20, how do the people in Harry's life start acting strangely?
6. Why doesn't Harry care to become a "Most Special Fellow?"
7. Who are the famous men that Modene has affairs with?
8. What does Chevi reveal about Libertad la Lengua?
9. How is Harry's recording of the invasion of The Bay of Pigs as a journal rather than letters to Kittredge important as a real breakthrough for them?
10. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part I, Chapters 5 - 14, highlights Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, and his distrust of his own instincts. Examine the theme of Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, also exploring his distrust of his own instincts. What is the definition of dependence? How does Harry's dependence on his father and godfather affect his self-confidence? What examples from the book demonstrate what Harry's dependence? Would Harry be considered a self-confident man? What is an example from the book of Harry distrusting his own instincts?
Essay Topic 2
Dix Butler and Harry begin working together and share an apartment in Berlin. Compare the characters of Dix Butler and Harry, analyzing how Dix affects Harry. What kind of person is Dix? How is Dix's attitude about life different than Harry's? How do they feel about each other?
Essay Topic 3
In Part II, Chapters 5 - 10 of the novel "Harlot's Ghost", Harry has started to change and become more of a man in a traditional sense. Analyze how Harry's character has started to mature and change at this point in the novel, and also examine where his development is still incomplete. How has Harry started to become more of a man in his personal life? How is Harry learning to play different games for function successfully within the CIA? How is Harry's development still incomplete? How does Harry still rely heavily on Harry's development?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)