|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Harry that Castro did not want the missiles but Khrushchev convinced him to take them?
2. What does the Washington bureau ask Harry a bunch of questions about in Part IV, Chapter 20?
3. Who does Hugh agree with Harry that he should stay away from in Part IV, Chapter twenty-one?
4. Who successfully tapped the PCU?
5. Who does Harry believe Chevi is in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Harry care to become a "Most Special Fellow?"
2. How do Hugh and Kittredge help Harry with the Boris situation?
3. Who are the famous men that Modene has affairs with?
4. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
5. Who is Chevi and how has he become important to the Agency?
6. What happens to Chevi after he is arrested and his cover is blown?
7. What important event takes place in Part Six, Chapters 19 with the CIA?
8. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
9. How does Modene serve as a replacement of Kittredge for Harry?
10. How does Harry describe the new CIA headquarters from I-J-K-L to Langley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Harlot's Ghost", one of the writing styles that the Norman Mailer uses is his choice of narrator. Mailer uses a first-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing, particularly first-person narratives as in Harlot's Ghost. How does knowing Harry's thoughts and feelings help the story along? How would the overall story be affected by a change in narrator?
Essay Topic 2
"Harlot's Ghost", Part IV, Chapters 31 - 36, deals with endings. Several of Harry's endings in his life and a few others. Examine the theme of endings in the novel "Harlot's Ghost". What is the definition of an ending? What type of endings are there in "Harlot's Ghost"? How is Harry affected by these different endings in his life? Is he worse off or better off? Where at in Harry's life is he at when all these endings happen? Do they all happen about the same time?
Essay Topic 3
In Part III, Chapters 1 - 7, Harry falls even further in line with the accepted social mores of his country and era. Research and explore Communism, and the morals that are reinforced by the characters in "Harlot's Ghost". What is communism? How prevalent was communism in the 1960's? How did the Agency indoctrinate the Agents to the idea of anti-Communism as a calling? What happens with Lenny Bruce at a nightclub that lets Hugh and Kittredge use their anti-Communism power as an agent?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)