|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Harry meeting with who starts to have a heart attack in Part V, Chapter thirteen?
2. What is the name of the Station Chief in Mexico City who is causing Hunt problems?
3. What does the Washington bureau ask Harry a bunch of questions about in Part IV, Chapter 20?
4. Where is Harry's father going in hopes of reuniting with his ex-wife in Part Six, Chapter Two?
5. Who has sex on the grave of their first love in Part Six, Chapter twelve?
Essay Topic 1
Harry tells many stories throughout the action of the main story. Explore the author's use of the literary device story-within-a-story in the novel "Harlot's Ghost". Is the author using stories-within-a-story to parody views of the world? Or is the author using stories-within-a-story to give background about particuliar characters or events? How is this literary device effective in the novel "Harlot's Ghost", or is it effective?
Essay Topic 2
Part I, Chapters 5 - 14, highlights Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, and his distrust of his own instincts. Examine the theme of Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, also exploring his distrust of his own instincts. What is the definition of dependence? How does Harry's dependence on his father and godfather affect his self-confidence? What examples from the book demonstrate what Harry's dependence? Would Harry be considered a self-confident man? What is an example from the book of Harry distrusting his own instincts?
Essay Topic 3
The reader is presented with Kittredge's theory of the Alpha and Omega in Part I, Chapters 5 - 14. Explore the theme of of the Alpha and Omega throughout the novel thus far. . What characters could be examples of the different psyches? How passionate is Kittredge about her work? What does each psyche represent?
This section contains 1,655 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)