|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hunt say the Cuban mentality depends upon?
2. What death has Cal become obsessed with in Part Six, Chapter thirty-four?
3. Whose passionate affair does Harry describe in Part IV, Chapter 33?
4. Who does the stewardess break up with in Part V, Chapter twenty, after he tries to introduce a third woman into their sexual relationship?
5. Who does Harry learn that Dix tortured, who turned out to have friends in powerful places?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
2. What happens to Chevi after he is arrested and his cover is blown?
3. How does Harry describe the new CIA headquarters from I-J-K-L to Langley?
4. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
5. How does multiple names serve as one of the larger symbols in "Harlot's Ghost"?
6. How does Harry begin to have problems with Chevi in the second part of Mongoose?
7. Who are the famous men that Modene has affairs with?
8. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
9. What does Chevi reveal about Libertad la Lengua?
10. Who is Chevi and how has he become important to the Agency?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part II, Chapters 5 - 10 of the novel "Harlot's Ghost", Harry has started to change and become more of a man in a traditional sense. Analyze how Harry's character has started to mature and change at this point in the novel, and also examine where his development is still incomplete. How has Harry started to become more of a man in his personal life? How is Harry learning to play different games for function successfully within the CIA? How is Harry's development still incomplete? How does Harry still rely heavily on Harry's development?
Essay Topic 2
Part IV, Chapters 7 - 13, Alpha and Omega play an extremely large part in this section of the book. Harry is developing different parts of himself in this section of the book. Examine how Harry has started to developed two separate personalities, his Alpha and Omega. How would Harry's Alpha side be described? How would Harry' Omega side be described? Which part would be Harry's side that thinks Hunt's stupid jokes are funny, or the part that is sleeping with a married woman and the professional part as he develops his contacts and continues his work?
Essay Topic 3
In "Harlot's Ghost", Harry discusses his parents' connection with the CIA. These connections also define Mailer's view of the CIA. Research and explore the CIA and how it correlates to Harry's family. What is the CIA? How is Harry's family involved in the CIA? What do the CIA do for America? How do Harry's personal and familial connections draw him into the CIA?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)