|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hunt get angry with Harry for using and tells him never to use it again in Part IV, Chapter twenty-one?
2. Who has sex on the grave of their first love in Part Six, Chapter twelve?
3. Who asks Harry if he hooked "the mermaid?"
4. Who does Cal go to meet in Paris, who the agency has put next in line for the Presidency of Cuba?
5. Harry is depressed in Part V, Chapter thirty-five, after his breakup with who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Chevi after he is arrested and his cover is blown?
2. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
3. How does Harry describe the new CIA headquarters from I-J-K-L to Langley?
4. How does the faulty wiretap scenario in Part V, Chapters 21 - 30 illustrate the problems inherent in serving different interests?
5. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
6. How does multiple names serve as one of the larger symbols in "Harlot's Ghost"?
7. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
8. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
9. What important event takes place in Part Six, Chapters 19 with the CIA?
10. How does Modene serve as a replacement of Kittredge for Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Harlot's Ghost" is the story of Harry Hubbard's adventures in the CIA. Analyze the character of Harry from the first few chapters of the text. Who is Harry married to at the beginning of the novel? How did Harry get involved in the CIA? What happened to Kittredge's first husband and her son?
Essay Topic 2
In Part III, Chapters 1 - 7, Harry falls even further in line with the accepted social mores of his country and era. Research and explore Communism, and the morals that are reinforced by the characters in "Harlot's Ghost". What is communism? How prevalent was communism in the 1960's? How did the Agency indoctrinate the Agents to the idea of anti-Communism as a calling? What happens with Lenny Bruce at a nightclub that lets Hugh and Kittredge use their anti-Communism power as an agent?
Essay Topic 3
"Harlot's Ghost", Part IV, Chapters 31 - 36, deals with endings. Several of Harry's endings in his life and a few others. Examine the theme of endings in the novel "Harlot's Ghost". What is the definition of an ending? What type of endings are there in "Harlot's Ghost"? How is Harry affected by these different endings in his life? Is he worse off or better off? Where at in Harry's life is he at when all these endings happen? Do they all happen about the same time?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)