|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the operation that is encountering some problems with negotiations between the White House and the Kremlin?
2. What is the name of the affiliated CIA link that Harry wants to become a part of?
3. Who does Harry believe Chevi is in love with?
4. During a letter, Harry's father tells him he has reunited with his ex-wife; who is he distraught over committing suicide?
5. Who does Harry's father ask him to stay away from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
2. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
3. How do Hugh and Kittredge help Harry with the Boris situation?
4. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
5. What important event takes place in Part Six, Chapters 19 with the CIA?
6. In Part Six, Chapters 11 - 20, how do the people in Harry's life start acting strangely?
7. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
8. How does Harry describe the new CIA headquarters from I-J-K-L to Langley?
9. How is Harry's regressing also symbolized as a blow to America's ego in the early 1960's after the failure at the Bay of Pigs?
10. How does Harry begin to have problems with Chevi in the second part of Mongoose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Harlot's Ghost", one of the writing styles that the Norman Mailer uses is his choice of narrator. Mailer uses a first-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing, particularly first-person narratives as in Harlot's Ghost. How does knowing Harry's thoughts and feelings help the story along? How would the overall story be affected by a change in narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Part I, Chapters 5 - 14, highlights Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, and his distrust of his own instincts. Examine the theme of Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, also exploring his distrust of his own instincts. What is the definition of dependence? How does Harry's dependence on his father and godfather affect his self-confidence? What examples from the book demonstrate what Harry's dependence? Would Harry be considered a self-confident man? What is an example from the book of Harry distrusting his own instincts?
Essay Topic 3
Harry's life in Part II, Chapters 11 - 16, is dominated by strong male figures, the most important of which are Harlot and Harvey. Analyze the characters of Harlot and Harvey, examining how they dominate Harry's life. How is Harry beginning to orchestrate his seeming independence from Harvey? How do Hugh's clam that the agency functions as "soldiers of God" fall in line with Harry succumbing to the morals of a patriarchy? How have the both shaped Harry as a man?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)