|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a letter, Harry's father tells him he has reunited with his ex-wife; who is he distraught over committing suicide?
2. Who does Harvey think is acting as an agent of the Kennedy's?
3. Who is tortured with his head in a toilet bowl, although this person will not confess to giving up the men lost in the raid?
4. What is the name of the affiliated CIA link that Harry wants to become a part of?
5. Part Six, Chapter thirteen, recounts a conversation between Kennedy and who?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does multiple names serve as one of the larger symbols in "Harlot's Ghost"?
2. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
3. How does Harry's rise to his father's side mirror the country's expectation that Bobby Kennedy will somehow help to fill the place his brother left?
4. Why does Arnie Rosen seem to have a grudge against Harry?
5. How does Modene serve as a replacement of Kittredge for Harry?
6. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
7. Who is Chevi and how has he become important to the Agency?
8. How does the faulty wiretap scenario in Part V, Chapters 21 - 30 illustrate the problems inherent in serving different interests?
9. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
10. What important event takes place in Part Six, Chapters 19 with the CIA?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry tells many stories throughout the action of the main story. Explore the author's use of the literary device story-within-a-story in the novel "Harlot's Ghost". Is the author using stories-within-a-story to parody views of the world? Or is the author using stories-within-a-story to give background about particuliar characters or events? How is this literary device effective in the novel "Harlot's Ghost", or is it effective?
Essay Topic 2
"Harlot's Ghost" is the story Harry Hubbard's adventures in the CIA and life. Throughout the book, he goes through tremendous changes and is no longer that same person as he was at the beginning of his life. Explore the theme of coming of age, and analysis the changes in Harry's character throughout the novel. What does coming of age mean? How did meeting Kittredge change Harry's life? How have Harry's ideals and goals changed throughout his life? What has Harry learned about himself and life?
Essay Topic 3
In Part IV, Chapters 14 - 19, of "Harlot's Ghost" many of the characters find themselves at the tipping point, their security being breached, and everybody is reacting secretively. Explore the theme of traditional values breaking apart in the novel, "Harlot's Ghost". What is revealed about Dorothy Hunt, Harvey's wife? What happens to Sally, Harry's mistress at this point in the story? How is Harry's affair with Sally mirrored with the very public affair between the Soviets, who do not realize they are being recorded? How does Nancy posing as Harry's fiancee underlie the strange world that are coming from?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)