|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What death has Cal become obsessed with in Part Six, Chapter thirty-four?
2. Where does Chevi go after his cover his blown and his life is in danger?
3. Who has sex on the grave of their first love in Part Six, Chapter twelve?
4. Who does the stewardess break up with in Part V, Chapter twenty, after he tries to introduce a third woman into their sexual relationship?
5. What is revealed about Libertad in Part IV, Chapter 30 that is very surprising?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hugh and Kittredge help Harry with the Boris situation?
2. How does Harry describe the new CIA headquarters from I-J-K-L to Langley?
3. Who are the famous men that Modene has affairs with?
4. How is Harry's regressing also symbolized as a blow to America's ego in the early 1960's after the failure at the Bay of Pigs?
5. Who is Chevi and how has he become important to the Agency?
6. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
7. What happens to Chevi after he is arrested and his cover is blown?
8. How does Harry begin to have problems with Chevi in the second part of Mongoose?
9. How does Modene serve as a replacement of Kittredge for Harry?
10. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry's life in Part II, Chapters 11 - 16, is dominated by strong male figures, the most important of which are Harlot and Harvey. Analyze the characters of Harlot and Harvey, examining how they dominate Harry's life. How is Harry beginning to orchestrate his seeming independence from Harvey? How do Hugh's clam that the agency functions as "soldiers of God" fall in line with Harry succumbing to the morals of a patriarchy? How have the both shaped Harry as a man?
Essay Topic 2
In "Harlot's Ghost", one of the writing styles that the Norman Mailer uses is his choice of narrator. Mailer uses a first-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing, particularly first-person narratives as in Harlot's Ghost. How does knowing Harry's thoughts and feelings help the story along? How would the overall story be affected by a change in narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Harry tells many stories throughout the action of the main story. Explore the author's use of the literary device story-within-a-story in the novel "Harlot's Ghost". Is the author using stories-within-a-story to parody views of the world? Or is the author using stories-within-a-story to give background about particuliar characters or events? How is this literary device effective in the novel "Harlot's Ghost", or is it effective?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)