|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the affiliated CIA link that Harry wants to become a part of?
2. What is the name of Kittredge's friend who has an affair with JFK?
3. Who confessed to having dealings with the DGI party after being accused of being pro-Castro?
4. What does Hugh discover after checking with his contacts at the Soviet Desk in Part IV, Chapter twenty-one?
5. What does Hunt say the Cuban mentality depends upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Harry care to become a "Most Special Fellow?"
2. Who are the famous men that Modene has affairs with?
3. How is Harry's regressing also symbolized as a blow to America's ego in the early 1960's after the failure at the Bay of Pigs?
4. How does the faulty wiretap scenario in Part V, Chapters 21 - 30 illustrate the problems inherent in serving different interests?
5. How does Harry begin to have problems with Chevi in the second part of Mongoose?
6. In Part Six, Chapters 11 - 20, how do the people in Harry's life start acting strangely?
7. Why does Arnie Rosen seem to have a grudge against Harry?
8. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
9. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
10. How is Harry's recording of the invasion of The Bay of Pigs as a journal rather than letters to Kittredge important as a real breakthrough for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry is a complicated man with a mysterious job, although he seems to be presenting himself very clearly to the audience and we trust him as narrator. Examine the use of tone in fiction writing and explore how it's used in "Harlot's Ghost". How does the author set the tone in "Harlot's Ghost"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in "Harlot's Ghost"? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 2
Harry's life in Part II, Chapters 11 - 16, is dominated by strong male figures, the most important of which are Harlot and Harvey. Analyze the characters of Harlot and Harvey, examining how they dominate Harry's life. How is Harry beginning to orchestrate his seeming independence from Harvey? How do Hugh's clam that the agency functions as "soldiers of God" fall in line with Harry succumbing to the morals of a patriarchy? How have the both shaped Harry as a man?
Essay Topic 3
In the process of creating a story, the author's choices in style meld to become the writer's voice, his or her own unique style. Examine Mailer's use of style in "Harlot's Ghost" and how it affects the overall story. What choices does Mailer use in his writing that shows his unique style? Does Mailer use tactical choices in grammar or word usage? How can sentence and paragraph length affect the overall story? What kind of imagery does Mailer use?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)