|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the former head of the Cuban Senate that Harry meets with in Part V, Chapter six?
2. Who is tortured with his head in a toilet bowl, although this person will not confess to giving up the men lost in the raid?
3. What is the name of the affiliated CIA link that Harry wants to become a part of?
4. In a letter to Kittredge in Part Six, Chapter 21, how many men does Harry say they lost while trying to get to Cuba?
5. What is the name of the group who is in charge of tacking out Castro?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry's rise to his father's side mirror the country's expectation that Bobby Kennedy will somehow help to fill the place his brother left?
2. What important event takes place in Part Six, Chapters 19 with the CIA?
3. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
4. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
5. How does Modene serve as a replacement of Kittredge for Harry?
6. Who is Chevi and how has he become important to the Agency?
7. How is Harry's recording of the invasion of The Bay of Pigs as a journal rather than letters to Kittredge important as a real breakthrough for them?
8. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
9. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
10. Why does Arnie Rosen seem to have a grudge against Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader is presented with Kittredge's theory of the Alpha and Omega in Part I, Chapters 5 - 14. Explore the theme of of the Alpha and Omega throughout the novel thus far. . What characters could be examples of the different psyches? How passionate is Kittredge about her work? What does each psyche represent?
Essay Topic 2
Harry is a complicated man with a mysterious job, although he seems to be presenting himself very clearly to the audience and we trust him as narrator. Examine the use of tone in fiction writing and explore how it's used in "Harlot's Ghost". How does the author set the tone in "Harlot's Ghost"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in "Harlot's Ghost"? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 3
"Harlot's Ghost" is the story of Harry Hubbard's adventures in the CIA. Analyze the character of Harry from the first few chapters of the text. Who is Harry married to at the beginning of the novel? How did Harry get involved in the CIA? What happened to Kittredge's first husband and her son?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)