|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harry reads the transcripts from the stewardess and her friend; who does he find out she was spending her weekends with in Las Vegas?
2. Harry is depressed in Part V, Chapter thirty-five, after his breakup with who?
3. Who does Kittredge say has always hung like a ghost over her and Hugh's marriage and their sex life?
4. In Part IV, Chapter 26, what does Harry go to with Porringer?
5. What is the name of the operation that is encountering some problems with negotiations between the White House and the Kremlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
2. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
3. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
4. Who are the famous men that Modene has affairs with?
5. How is Harry's regressing also symbolized as a blow to America's ego in the early 1960's after the failure at the Bay of Pigs?
6. What happens to Chevi after he is arrested and his cover is blown?
7. How does Harry describe the new CIA headquarters from I-J-K-L to Langley?
8. What important event takes place in Part Six, Chapters 19 with the CIA?
9. In Part Six, Chapters 11 - 20, how do the people in Harry's life start acting strangely?
10. Why does Arnie Rosen seem to have a grudge against Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part IV, Chapters 7 - 13, Alpha and Omega play an extremely large part in this section of the book. Harry is developing different parts of himself in this section of the book. Examine how Harry has started to developed two separate personalities, his Alpha and Omega. How would Harry's Alpha side be described? How would Harry' Omega side be described? Which part would be Harry's side that thinks Hunt's stupid jokes are funny, or the part that is sleeping with a married woman and the professional part as he develops his contacts and continues his work?
Essay Topic 2
In Omega VII - Omega XII, the reader is presented with three different versions of the CIA man through Harry, Rosen, and Dix. Examine the three different versions of the CIA man that are represented in "Harlot's Ghost". Who is an agent by birthright? Who has had to transform painfully to become an agent? Who is a bit of a thug but a spy by nature? Compare and contrast these different versions of the CIA man.
Essay Topic 3
In "Harlot's Ghost", one of the writing styles that the Norman Mailer uses is his choice of narrator. Mailer uses a first-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing, particularly first-person narratives as in Harlot's Ghost. How does knowing Harry's thoughts and feelings help the story along? How would the overall story be affected by a change in narrator?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)