|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the important leader who was arrested in Cuba who Harry later has dinner with?
2. What does Hunt say the Cuban mentality depends upon?
3. Where does Harry say the company lands when they can no longer land in Trinidad during the invasion?
4. Where is Harry's father going in hopes of reuniting with his ex-wife in Part Six, Chapter Two?
5. During a letter, Harry's father tells him he has reunited with his ex-wife; who is he distraught over committing suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hugh and Kittredge help Harry with the Boris situation?
2. Why doesn't Harry care to become a "Most Special Fellow?"
3. How does Harry begin to have problems with Chevi in the second part of Mongoose?
4. How is Harry's regressing also symbolized as a blow to America's ego in the early 1960's after the failure at the Bay of Pigs?
5. How does Modene serve as a replacement of Kittredge for Harry?
6. How does Harry's rise to his father's side mirror the country's expectation that Bobby Kennedy will somehow help to fill the place his brother left?
7. How does the faulty wiretap scenario in Part V, Chapters 21 - 30 illustrate the problems inherent in serving different interests?
8. How is Harry's recording of the invasion of The Bay of Pigs as a journal rather than letters to Kittredge important as a real breakthrough for them?
9. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
10. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part I, Chapters 5 - 14, highlights Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, and his distrust of his own instincts. Examine the theme of Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, also exploring his distrust of his own instincts. What is the definition of dependence? How does Harry's dependence on his father and godfather affect his self-confidence? What examples from the book demonstrate what Harry's dependence? Would Harry be considered a self-confident man? What is an example from the book of Harry distrusting his own instincts?
Essay Topic 2
In the process of creating a story, the author's choices in style meld to become the writer's voice, his or her own unique style. Examine Mailer's use of style in "Harlot's Ghost" and how it affects the overall story. What choices does Mailer use in his writing that shows his unique style? Does Mailer use tactical choices in grammar or word usage? How can sentence and paragraph length affect the overall story? What kind of imagery does Mailer use?
Essay Topic 3
Harry tells many stories throughout the action of the main story. Explore the author's use of the literary device story-within-a-story in the novel "Harlot's Ghost". Is the author using stories-within-a-story to parody views of the world? Or is the author using stories-within-a-story to give background about particuliar characters or events? How is this literary device effective in the novel "Harlot's Ghost", or is it effective?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)