|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Allen Dulles a coded go-ahead for Cuba?
2. What is the name of the Station Chief in Mexico City who is causing Hunt problems?
3. Who does Kittredge write to tell Harry that Sam has married?
4. Where is Harry's father going in hopes of reuniting with his ex-wife in Part Six, Chapter Two?
5. Who is going to be replacing Harvey as an agent in Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important event takes place in Part Six, Chapters 19 with the CIA?
2. What does Chevi reveal about Libertad la Lengua?
3. Why doesn't Harry care to become a "Most Special Fellow?"
4. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
5. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
6. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
7. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
8. How does the faulty wiretap scenario in Part V, Chapters 21 - 30 illustrate the problems inherent in serving different interests?
9. How is Harry's recording of the invasion of The Bay of Pigs as a journal rather than letters to Kittredge important as a real breakthrough for them?
10. How is Harry's regressing also symbolized as a blow to America's ego in the early 1960's after the failure at the Bay of Pigs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part III, Chapters 1 - 7, Harry falls even further in line with the accepted social mores of his country and era. Research and explore Communism, and the morals that are reinforced by the characters in "Harlot's Ghost". What is communism? How prevalent was communism in the 1960's? How did the Agency indoctrinate the Agents to the idea of anti-Communism as a calling? What happens with Lenny Bruce at a nightclub that lets Hugh and Kittredge use their anti-Communism power as an agent?
Essay Topic 2
In Part II, Chapters 5 - 10 of the novel "Harlot's Ghost", Harry has started to change and become more of a man in a traditional sense. Analyze how Harry's character has started to mature and change at this point in the novel, and also examine where his development is still incomplete. How has Harry started to become more of a man in his personal life? How is Harry learning to play different games for function successfully within the CIA? How is Harry's development still incomplete? How does Harry still rely heavily on Harry's development?
Essay Topic 3
In Omega VII - Omega XII, the reader is presented with three different versions of the CIA man through Harry, Rosen, and Dix. Examine the three different versions of the CIA man that are represented in "Harlot's Ghost". Who is an agent by birthright? Who has had to transform painfully to become an agent? Who is a bit of a thug but a spy by nature? Compare and contrast these different versions of the CIA man.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)