|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harry vacation with his mother and afterward meets with a special group about sabotaging Cuba?
2. Who confessed to having dealings with the DGI party after being accused of being pro-Castro?
3. Harry's father writes him a letter in Part V, Chapter thirty-three, who does he say died?
4. Who has sex on the grave of their first love in Part Six, Chapter twelve?
5. Who is the former head of the Cuban Senate that Harry meets with in Part V, Chapter six?
Essay Topic 1
"Harlot's Ghost", Part IV, Chapters 31 - 36, deals with endings. Several of Harry's endings in his life and a few others. Examine the theme of endings in the novel "Harlot's Ghost". What is the definition of an ending? What type of endings are there in "Harlot's Ghost"? How is Harry affected by these different endings in his life? Is he worse off or better off? Where at in Harry's life is he at when all these endings happen? Do they all happen about the same time?
Essay Topic 2
In Part III, Chapters 1 - 7, Harry falls even further in line with the accepted social mores of his country and era. Research and explore Communism, and the morals that are reinforced by the characters in "Harlot's Ghost". What is communism? How prevalent was communism in the 1960's? How did the Agency indoctrinate the Agents to the idea of anti-Communism as a calling? What happens with Lenny Bruce at a nightclub that lets Hugh and Kittredge use their anti-Communism power as an agent?
Essay Topic 3
In Part II, Chapters 5 - 10 of the novel "Harlot's Ghost", Harry has started to change and become more of a man in a traditional sense. Analyze how Harry's character has started to mature and change at this point in the novel, and also examine where his development is still incomplete. How has Harry started to become more of a man in his personal life? How is Harry learning to play different games for function successfully within the CIA? How is Harry's development still incomplete? How does Harry still rely heavily on Harry's development?
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)