|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harry vacation with his mother and afterward meets with a special group about sabotaging Cuba?
2. Harry's father writes him a letter in Part V, Chapter thirty-three, who does he say died?
3. Who asks Harry if he hooked "the mermaid?"
4. What does Harry spend his time monitoring while in Miami?
5. During a letter, Harry's father tells him he has reunited with his ex-wife; who is he distraught over committing suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Modene serve as a replacement of Kittredge for Harry?
2. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
3. What are two of the dual personalities that appear in Part IV, Chapters 25 - 30?
4. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
5. How does Harry's rise to his father's side mirror the country's expectation that Bobby Kennedy will somehow help to fill the place his brother left?
6. What does Chevi reveal about Libertad la Lengua?
7. Why does Arnie Rosen seem to have a grudge against Harry?
8. What prevents Harry from being transferred to a more active base in Israel?
9. How does multiple names serve as one of the larger symbols in "Harlot's Ghost"?
10. How is Cal's growing weakness highlighted in his letters to Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry is a complicated man with a mysterious job, although he seems to be presenting himself very clearly to the audience and we trust him as narrator. Examine the use of tone in fiction writing and explore how it's used in "Harlot's Ghost". How does the author set the tone in "Harlot's Ghost"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in "Harlot's Ghost"? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 2
Harry's life in Part II, Chapters 11 - 16, is dominated by strong male figures, the most important of which are Harlot and Harvey. Analyze the characters of Harlot and Harvey, examining how they dominate Harry's life. How is Harry beginning to orchestrate his seeming independence from Harvey? How do Hugh's clam that the agency functions as "soldiers of God" fall in line with Harry succumbing to the morals of a patriarchy? How have the both shaped Harry as a man?
Essay Topic 3
The reader is presented with Kittredge's theory of the Alpha and Omega in Part I, Chapters 5 - 14. Explore the theme of of the Alpha and Omega throughout the novel thus far. . What characters could be examples of the different psyches? How passionate is Kittredge about her work? What does each psyche represent?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)