|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the group who is in charge of tacking out Castro?
2. In a letter to Kittredge in Part Six, Chapter 21, how many men does Harry say they lost while trying to get to Cuba?
3. Where does Harry vacation with his mother and afterward meets with a special group about sabotaging Cuba?
4. In Part IV, Chapter 29, who asks Hunt if they can meet Nardone and he tells them no?
5. Who does Harvey think is acting as an agent of the Kennedy's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Harry report his information to, and how is he serving several masters?
2. What important event takes place in Part Six, Chapters 19 with the CIA?
3. What does Chevi reveal about Libertad la Lengua?
4. How does the faulty wiretap scenario in Part V, Chapters 21 - 30 illustrate the problems inherent in serving different interests?
5. Who are the famous men that Modene has affairs with?
6. How does Harry's rise to his father's side mirror the country's expectation that Bobby Kennedy will somehow help to fill the place his brother left?
7. What does Fidel Castro talk about in an interview to journalist Jean Daniel?
8. In Part Six, Chapters 11 - 20, how do the people in Harry's life start acting strangely?
9. How does Modene serve as a replacement of Kittredge for Harry?
10. How is Harry's regressing also symbolized as a blow to America's ego in the early 1960's after the failure at the Bay of Pigs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part IV, Chapters 14 - 19, of "Harlot's Ghost" many of the characters find themselves at the tipping point, their security being breached, and everybody is reacting secretively. Explore the theme of traditional values breaking apart in the novel, "Harlot's Ghost". What is revealed about Dorothy Hunt, Harvey's wife? What happens to Sally, Harry's mistress at this point in the story? How is Harry's affair with Sally mirrored with the very public affair between the Soviets, who do not realize they are being recorded? How does Nancy posing as Harry's fiancee underlie the strange world that are coming from?
Essay Topic 2
Part IV, Chapters 7 - 13, Alpha and Omega play an extremely large part in this section of the book. Harry is developing different parts of himself in this section of the book. Examine how Harry has started to developed two separate personalities, his Alpha and Omega. How would Harry's Alpha side be described? How would Harry' Omega side be described? Which part would be Harry's side that thinks Hunt's stupid jokes are funny, or the part that is sleeping with a married woman and the professional part as he develops his contacts and continues his work?
Essay Topic 3
In the process of creating a story, the author's choices in style meld to become the writer's voice, his or her own unique style. Examine Mailer's use of style in "Harlot's Ghost" and how it affects the overall story. What choices does Mailer use in his writing that shows his unique style? Does Mailer use tactical choices in grammar or word usage? How can sentence and paragraph length affect the overall story? What kind of imagery does Mailer use?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)