|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Harry being sent in Part III, Chapter one, which is a small area but he will learn a lot?
2. What does Harry write about in his first letter to Kittredge?
3. How does Kittredge react to Harry's letter about the Alpha and Omega's in Part IV, Chapter eight?
4. Harry's father has remarried and has twin boys; what are their nicknames?
5. What does Harry think about the stories that Dix Butler tells the American girl he picks up from the nightclub?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the ghosts that Kittredge mentions tend to arise at times of particular stress and challenge?
2. In Omega I through Omega VII, Harry spends a lot of time discussing his childhood and background. How are these connections important to him?
3. How is Kittredge's sixth sense emphasized when Harry sends her a brooch?
4. What does Harry read from Rosen's confidential letter to Dix in Part II, Chapter 14?
5. How does Harry begin to fall even more in line with the accepted social mores of his country and era in Part III, Chapters 1 - 7?
6. What is an example from "Harlot's Ghost" where Harry's instincts go against the official Agency policies?
7. How is Harry described as a child?
8. How is Kittredge's theory of Alpha and Omega represented in Harry in Part IV, Chapters 7 - 13?
9. How is the growing difference between who Harry is as a CIA agent and whom he feels like enumerated in Part II, Chapters 1 - 4?
10. Why is Harry's development as a man and CIA agent still incomplete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry is a complicated man with a mysterious job, although he seems to be presenting himself very clearly to the audience and we trust him as narrator. Examine the use of tone in fiction writing and explore how it's used in "Harlot's Ghost". How does the author set the tone in "Harlot's Ghost"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in "Harlot's Ghost"? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 2
Part I, Chapters 5 - 14, highlights Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, and his distrust of his own instincts. Examine the theme of Harry's dependence on his father and godfather, also exploring his distrust of his own instincts. What is the definition of dependence? How does Harry's dependence on his father and godfather affect his self-confidence? What examples from the book demonstrate what Harry's dependence? Would Harry be considered a self-confident man? What is an example from the book of Harry distrusting his own instincts?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Harry's early years, and explore the affect his father and godfather have had on his upbringing. What kind of child was he? What weaknesses did he have? How did he overcome these weaknesses? Were Harry's parents supportive of him and loving? Why was Harry always desperate to prove himself?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)