|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harry attends the special classes that Hugh teaches; what does he call the days when teaching officers attend?
2. Harvey gives Harry several names of contacts he wants him to track down; how does the first contact feel about Harvey?
3. What does Harry discuss with the man he meets in Part II, Chapter 12 besides the security of Catheter?
4. How was Kittredge's first husband paralyzed?
5. Harry's father has remarried and has twin boys; what are their nicknames?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry oversee in Uruguay?
2. What happens when Dix and Harry go out for a drink with Freddie McCann and his wife Bunny?
3. How do the ghosts that Kittredge mentions tend to arise at times of particular stress and challenge?
4. How is Kittredge's sixth sense emphasized when Harry sends her a brooch?
5. How is Harry described as a child?
6. What does Harvey want to do with the mission Cloakroom?
7. How does Kittredge show her duplicity when leaving Harry?
8. How does Kittredge get into experimenting with LSD?
9. How does Kittredge describe people's psyches as Alpha and Omega?
10. What does the note say that Boris passes to Harry at the end of Part IV, Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry tells many stories throughout the action of the main story. Explore the author's use of the literary device story-within-a-story in the novel "Harlot's Ghost". Is the author using stories-within-a-story to parody views of the world? Or is the author using stories-within-a-story to give background about particuliar characters or events? How is this literary device effective in the novel "Harlot's Ghost", or is it effective?
Essay Topic 2
Harry's life in Part II, Chapters 11 - 16, is dominated by strong male figures, the most important of which are Harlot and Harvey. Analyze the characters of Harlot and Harvey, examining how they dominate Harry's life. How is Harry beginning to orchestrate his seeming independence from Harvey? How do Hugh's clam that the agency functions as "soldiers of God" fall in line with Harry succumbing to the morals of a patriarchy? How have the both shaped Harry as a man?
Essay Topic 3
In Part V, Chapters 1 - 10 of "Harlot's Ghost", the character of Modene is introduced. She becomes an important character in Harry's life. Analyze the character of Modene, and examine her affect on Harry. How does Harry meet Modene? How does Modene mirror Kittredge? Who is Modene dating who is famous? How does Modene remind Harry of Kittredge?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)