|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Tapestries of Time," what do the common people not dream about?
2. How does the narrator describe hate in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
3. Who breaks her leg in "African China"?
4. Who is Abraham Lincoln's mother in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
5. Which language's alphabet does Tolson use in Alpha to Mu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
2. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
3. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
4. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
5. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
6. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
7. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
8. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
9. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
10. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between The Curator and Hideho Heights. How do the men treat one another? What is the significance of their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes that reoccurs in Tolson's poetry is that of the hardworking every-man. Chose one poem where this theme is present and explain how Tolson presents it using imagery and symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
In the poem, "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," Tolson compares America to the narrator's mother, Liberia to his wife, and Africa to his brother. What does Tolson mean by this comparison?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)