|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is art to the curator in "Gamma"?
2. How are the parts of the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" broken up?
3. Who is Black Diamond?
4. What does the white god in "The Idols of the Tribe" eat?
5. What does man continually do according to "Tapestries of Time" during the Golden Age?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
2. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
3. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
4. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
5. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
6. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
7. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
8. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
9. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
10. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering Tolson's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his poems? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? What do you believe inspired Tolson more, the present or past?
Essay Topic 2
What impact did Lincoln have on Tolson's life? Choose examples from Tolson's poems that suggest what relationship Tolson had with Lincoln. Why does Tolson hold Lincoln in such high esteem?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term foreshadow. How does Tolson use foreshadowing in his poems? Provide two examples of foreshadowing and the events they predict.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)