|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator's mother in "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
2. What places does the narrator discuss in "Alpha"?
3. What colors does the curator mention in "Gamma"?
4. Why will the narrator in "Beta" never be censored?
5. In "A Long Head to a Round Head," what is intriguing about the animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
2. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
3. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
4. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
5. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
6. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
7. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
8. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
9. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
10. What is the significance of the word tapestries in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the word tapestries important in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolson address the theme of America as a melting pot? Choose two examples of how this idea appears in his poems, and explain whether he believes the concept of the melting pot to be true.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes that reoccurs in Tolson's poetry is that of the hardworking every-man. Chose one poem where this theme is present and explain how Tolson presents it using imagery and symbolism.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)