|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the yellow god?
2. What is culturally empty compared to Liberia according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
3. Who fought in Halicarnassus?
4. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the black god?
5. Why will the narrator in "Beta" never be censored?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
2. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
3. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
4. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
5. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
6. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
7. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
8. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
9. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
10. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolson use symbolism in the poem "The Gallows"? What is the meaning behind the symbolic element(s) in this poem?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term symbolism and explain the symbolism present in "The Mountain Climber."
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)