|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors does the curator mention in "Gamma"?
2. What day is it in the poem "Rho"?
3. In "Omicron," what is the temperament of the artist?
4. What do the African warriors in "The Idols of the Tribe" do?
5. How does the narrator describe hate in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
2. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
3. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
4. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
5. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
6. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
7. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
8. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
9. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
10. What is the significance of the word tapestries in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolson use symbolism in the poem "The Gallows"? What is the meaning behind the symbolic element(s) in this poem?
Essay Topic 3
What poem does the quote "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People" come from? Explain the significance of this quote to the poem and how it explains the message of the poem.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)