|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is it in the poem "Rho"?
2. What does the narrator in "Beta" claim you can explore art with?
3. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," who is the narrator's brother?
4. Where do the African warriors go in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
5. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
2. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
3. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
4. What is the significance of the word tapestries in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
5. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
6. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
7. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
8. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
9. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
10. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term foreshadow. How does Tolson use foreshadowing in his poems? Provide two examples of foreshadowing and the events they predict.
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the poem? Does it matter that the poem is set in another country or time period? Describe the setting of the poem of you choice and explain how it effected your experience of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)