|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is culturally empty compared to Liberia according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
2. Where do the African warriors go in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
3. What does the narrator in "Beta" claim you can explore art with?
4. Who is Abraham Lincoln's mother in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
5. How are the parts of the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" broken up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
2. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
3. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
4. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
5. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
6. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
7. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
8. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
9. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
10. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
Essay Topic 2
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the poem? What are some examples where the description does not work? Cite two poems and explain how the description helps or hinders the poet's message.
Essay Topic 3
When considering Tolson's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his poems? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? What do you believe inspired Tolson more, the present or past?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)