|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
2. How does the narrator describe hate in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
3. What does the poet of "The Idols of the Tribe" believe is in every society?
4. Who is Abraham Lincoln's mother in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
5. What day is it in the poem "Rho"?
Essay Topic 1
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two significant events Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous With America." What are these events and why does Tolson include them in this poem?
Essay Topic 3
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the poem? What are some examples where the description does not work? Cite two poems and explain how the description helps or hinders the poet's message.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)