|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see at the end of "Tapestries of Time"?
2. How does the narrator describe hate in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
3. In "Tapestries of Time," what do the common people not dream about?
4. What is the poem "The Man from Halicarnassus" about?
5. How does the narrator describe the Nordic god in "The Idols of the Tribe""?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
2. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
3. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
4. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
5. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
6. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
7. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
8. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
9. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
10. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does race play in Tolson's poems? Choose two poems and explain how Tolson demonstrates his opinions on race in these poems. The poems may present similar or conflicting views.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
Essay Topic 3
How does Tolson use symbolism in the poem "The Gallows"? What is the meaning behind the symbolic element(s) in this poem?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)