|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Golden Age occur with?
2. What does the author think will prevail in "Tapestries of Time"?
3. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights in "Xi"?
4. In "A Long Head to a Round Head," what is intriguing about the animals?
5. According to "Omicron," what is the school of the artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
2. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
3. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
4. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
5. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
6. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
7. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
8. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
9. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
10. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the poem, "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," Tolson compares America to the narrator's mother, Liberia to his wife, and Africa to his brother. What does Tolson mean by this comparison?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two significant events Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous With America." What are these events and why does Tolson include them in this poem?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)