|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the African warriors in "The Idols of the Tribe" do?
2. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," who is the narrator's brother?
3. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the black god?
4. What does the narrator of "Tapestries of Time" want to prevail?
5. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the yellow god?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
2. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
3. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
4. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
5. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
6. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
7. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
8. What is the significance of the word tapestries in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
9. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
10. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the characters in the Harlem Galleries. How does this character change from the beginning to the end of the collection? Do you believe Tolson allows the character to change if he or she does? Why does Tolson choose to allow the character to remain stagnant if he or she does? Choose one other character in the Harlem Galleries and explain their relationship with the initial character you chose.
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolson address the theme of America as a melting pot? Choose two examples of how this idea appears in his poems, and explain whether he believes the concept of the melting pot to be true.
Essay Topic 3
In the poem, "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," Tolson compares America to the narrator's mother, Liberia to his wife, and Africa to his brother. What does Tolson mean by this comparison?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)