|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion was celebrated in Timbuktu?
2. How does the narrator describe the Nordic god in "The Idols of the Tribe""?
3. What do the African warriors in "The Idols of the Tribe" do?
4. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights in "Xi"?
5. What does the narrator see at the end of "Tapestries of Time"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
2. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
3. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
4. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
5. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
6. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
7. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
8. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
9. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
10. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the poem, "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," Tolson compares America to the narrator's mother, Liberia to his wife, and Africa to his brother. What does Tolson mean by this comparison?
Essay Topic 2
What impact did Lincoln have on Tolson's life? Choose examples from Tolson's poems that suggest what relationship Tolson had with Lincoln. Why does Tolson hold Lincoln in such high esteem?
Essay Topic 3
Tolson creates and discusses many interesting people in his poems. Choose one person or couple he mentions in a poem explain how those people or characters help deliver the message of the poem.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)