|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Epsilon," what is the worst thing an artist can receive?
2. In "The Idols of the Tribe," how many points does a road meet at?
3. What does the narrator see at the end of "Tapestries of Time"?
4. What artist did the Curator teach Black Diamond about?
5. Who does the poet compare the people of Liberia to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
2. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
3. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
4. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
5. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
6. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
7. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
8. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
9. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
10. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tolson use symbolism in the poem "The Gallows"? What is the meaning behind the symbolic element(s) in this poem?
Essay Topic 2
In the poem, "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," Tolson compares America to the narrator's mother, Liberia to his wife, and Africa to his brother. What does Tolson mean by this comparison?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)