|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Golden Age occur with?
2. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights in "Xi"?
3. What does Liberia represent in "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
4. Which language's alphabet does Tolson use in Alpha to Mu?
5. Who is the poet laureate of Lenox Avenue in Harlem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
2. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
3. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
4. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
5. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
6. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
7. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
8. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
9. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
10. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of a new black man. What is Tolson's definition of this term, and how does he present this idea in his poems. Choose two poems to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Tolson creates and discusses many interesting people in his poems. Choose one person or couple he mentions in a poem explain how those people or characters help deliver the message of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the word tapestries important in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)