Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the black god?
2. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
3. What is the poem "The Man from Halicarnassus" about?
4. What does the white god in "The Idols of the Tribe" eat?
5. What tyrant does the narrator mention in "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
Explain the concept of a new black man. What is Tolson's definition of this term, and how does he present this idea in his poems. Choose two poems to defend your answer.
In the poem, "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," Tolson compares America to the narrator's mother, Liberia to his wife, and Africa to his brother. What does Tolson mean by this comparison?
When considering Tolson's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his poems? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? What do you believe inspired Tolson more, the present or past?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)