|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Tapestries of Time," what do the common people not dream about?
2. What day is it in the poem "Rho"?
3. Who is the "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" dedicated to?
4. How does the narrator describe hate in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
5. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," what is the gateway for black Americans to the eastern world?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the characters in the Harlem Galleries. How does this character change from the beginning to the end of the collection? Do you believe Tolson allows the character to change if he or she does? Why does Tolson choose to allow the character to remain stagnant if he or she does? Choose one other character in the Harlem Galleries and explain their relationship with the initial character you chose.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the word tapestries important in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the poem? Does it matter that the poem is set in another country or time period? Describe the setting of the poem of you choice and explain how it effected your experience of the poem.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)