|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
2. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
3. What is La Guardia's ethnic background?
4. Who does the farmer in "Old Man Michael" blame for his bad crops?
5. What does love equal in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
2. List two important, historical people that Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous with America." Why does he mention these people, and what did they contribute to America?
3. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
4. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
5. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
6. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
7. What historical events does Tolson believe tested the powers of Americans in "Rendezvous with America"? What was the result of these events?
8. Describe Tolson's vision of a poet in the "The Poet."
9. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
10. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the characters in the Harlem Galleries. How does this character change from the beginning to the end of the collection? Do you believe Tolson allows the character to change if he or she does? Why does Tolson choose to allow the character to remain stagnant if he or she does? Choose one other character in the Harlem Galleries and explain their relationship with the initial character you chose.
Essay Topic 2
What poem does the quote "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People" come from? Explain the significance of this quote to the poem and how it explains the message of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
What is metaphor? Define this term and cite three examples of where Tolson uses metaphor in his poetry. Explain how this metaphor lends to the overall message of the poem.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)