|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Tolson ask in "The Mountain Climber"?
2. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
3. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" compare shifting too?
4. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
5. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
2. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
3. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
4. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
5. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
6. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
7. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
8. Describe Tolson's vision of a poet in the "The Poet."
9. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
10. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes that reoccurs in Tolson's poetry is that of the hardworking every-man. Chose one poem where this theme is present and explain how Tolson presents it using imagery and symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the poem? Does it matter that the poem is set in another country or time period? Describe the setting of the poem of you choice and explain how it effected your experience of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
How does Tolson use symbolism in the poem "The Gallows"? What is the meaning behind the symbolic element(s) in this poem?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)