|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Shift of Gears," what does the man fix?
2. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
3. What does the white man tell the black man to forget in "Andante Sostenuto"?
4. How does the poet describe the mongrel in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
5. What does the poem "The Triumph Aster" hope for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What historical events does Tolson believe tested the powers of Americans in "Rendezvous with America"? What was the result of these events?
2. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
3. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
4. What does Tolson hope for himself in the poem "A Song for Myself"? What does he hope for the reader?
5. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
6. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
7. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
8. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
9. What is the purpose of the use of religion in "Rendezvous with America"?
10. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is metaphor? Define this term and cite three examples of where Tolson uses metaphor in his poetry. Explain how this metaphor lends to the overall message of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between The Curator and Hideho Heights. How do the men treat one another? What is the significance of their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did Lincoln have on Tolson's life? Choose examples from Tolson's poems that suggest what relationship Tolson had with Lincoln. Why does Tolson hold Lincoln in such high esteem?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)