|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of nature does the oak tree face in "A Scholar Looks at an Oak"?
2. What industries does the poet describe in "Rendezvous With America"?
3. What is the town logo in "The Town of Fathers"?
4. Where is "Vesuvius" located?
5. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
2. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
3. How does Tolson remove black men from responsibility in "Larghetto"?
4. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
5. What is the purpose of the use of religion in "Rendezvous with America"?
6. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
7. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
8. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
9. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
10. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between The Curator and Hideho Heights. How do the men treat one another? What is the significance of their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
Essay Topic 3
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the poem? What are some examples where the description does not work? Cite two poems and explain how the description helps or hinders the poet's message.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)