Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
2. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
3. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
4. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
5. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
2. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
3. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
4. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
5. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
6. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
7. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
8. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
9. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
10. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
Discuss one of the characters in the Harlem Galleries. How does this character change from the beginning to the end of the collection? Do you believe Tolson allows the character to change if he or she does? Why does Tolson choose to allow the character to remain stagnant if he or she does? Choose one other character in the Harlem Galleries and explain their relationship with the initial character you chose.
How does Tolson address the theme of America as a melting pot? Choose two examples of how this idea appears in his poems, and explain whether he believes the concept of the melting pot to be true.
What is metaphor? Define this term and cite three examples of where Tolson uses metaphor in his poetry. Explain how this metaphor lends to the overall message of the poem.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)