|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should separate the rose and the thorn in "The Unknown Soldier"?
2. What act of nature does the oak tree face in "A Scholar Looks at an Oak"?
3. What time period does "Lento Grave" discuss?
4. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
5. What president is mentioned in "The Dictionary of the Wolf"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
2. What might "The Shift of Gears" be a metaphor for?
3. What does Tolson hope for himself in the poem "A Song for Myself"? What does he hope for the reader?
4. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," how is the black man represented?
5. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
6. What is the purpose of the use of religion in "Rendezvous with America"?
7. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
8. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
9. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
10. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What poem does the quote "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People" come from? Explain the significance of this quote to the poem and how it explains the message of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolson address the theme of America as a melting pot? Choose two examples of how this idea appears in his poems, and explain whether he believes the concept of the melting pot to be true.
Essay Topic 3
What is metaphor? Define this term and cite three examples of where Tolson uses metaphor in his poetry. Explain how this metaphor lends to the overall message of the poem.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)