|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the town of fathers meet?
2. What crash does "Larghetto" assert black men were not involved in?
3. What is Frederick Douglas famous for being?
4. In the poem "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what color is the man's dyed hair?
5. What does love equal in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
2. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
3. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
4. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
5. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
6. What might "The Shift of Gears" be a metaphor for?
7. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
8. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
9. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
10. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the characters in the Harlem Galleries. How does this character change from the beginning to the end of the collection? Do you believe Tolson allows the character to change if he or she does? Why does Tolson choose to allow the character to remain stagnant if he or she does? Choose one other character in the Harlem Galleries and explain their relationship with the initial character you chose.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between The Curator and Hideho Heights. How do the men treat one another? What is the significance of their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the word tapestries important in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)