|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet discuss in "A Song for Myself"?
2. What question does Tolson ask in "The Mountain Climber"?
3. What happens to the teacher at the end of "The Gallows"?
4. How many parts is the poem "Dark Symphony"?
5. Who is Stokowski?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
2. What might "The Shift of Gears" be a metaphor for?
3. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
4. What is the poet trying to prove in his poem "Rendezvous with America"? How does he prove this?
5. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
6. What is the significance of the the sign in "The Town of Fathers" that reads "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People"?
7. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
8. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
9. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
10. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term symbolism and explain the symbolism present in "The Mountain Climber."
Essay Topic 2
In the poem, "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," Tolson compares America to the narrator's mother, Liberia to his wife, and Africa to his brother. What does Tolson mean by this comparison?
Essay Topic 3
What is metaphor? Define this term and cite three examples of where Tolson uses metaphor in his poetry. Explain how this metaphor lends to the overall message of the poem.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)