|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poem "The Triumph Aster" hope for?
2. In "The Blindness of Scorn," what does the Malay guide become caught in?
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
4. How might one view America after reading "Rendezvous With America"?
5. How does the poet describe the people that flock to America in "Rendezvous With America"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
2. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
3. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
4. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
5. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
6. What is the purpose of the use of religion in "Rendezvous with America"?
7. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
8. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
9. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
10. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tolson creates and discusses many interesting people in his poems. Choose one person or couple he mentions in a poem explain how those people or characters help deliver the message of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolson use symbolism in the poem "The Gallows"? What is the meaning behind the symbolic element(s) in this poem?
Essay Topic 3
When considering Tolson's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his poems? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? What do you believe inspired Tolson more, the present or past?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)