|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is La Guardia?
2. Who does the man fight for in "The Furlough"?
3. What does the Malay wear in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
4. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," what happens to the tree's limbs?
5. Who meets at Versailles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
2. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
3. What does Tolson hope for himself in the poem "A Song for Myself"? What does he hope for the reader?
4. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
5. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
6. What historical events does Tolson believe tested the powers of Americans in "Rendezvous with America"? What was the result of these events?
7. What is the purpose of the use of religion in "Rendezvous with America"?
8. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
9. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
10. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of a new black man. What is Tolson's definition of this term, and how does he present this idea in his poems. Choose two poems to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the characters in the Harlem Galleries. How does this character change from the beginning to the end of the collection? Do you believe Tolson allows the character to change if he or she does? Why does Tolson choose to allow the character to remain stagnant if he or she does? Choose one other character in the Harlem Galleries and explain their relationship with the initial character you chose.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term foreshadow. How does Tolson use foreshadowing in his poems? Provide two examples of foreshadowing and the events they predict.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)