|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
2. What industries does the poet describe in "Rendezvous With America"?
3. Who is Lin Yutang?
4. In the poem "Old House," whose ghost is not welcome?
5. Where are the bones of the man and snake left behind in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
2. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
3. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
4. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
5. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
6. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
7. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
8. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
9. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
10. What does Tolson hope for himself in the poem "A Song for Myself"? What does he hope for the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact did Lincoln have on Tolson's life? Choose examples from Tolson's poems that suggest what relationship Tolson had with Lincoln. Why does Tolson hold Lincoln in such high esteem?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the word tapestries important in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
Essay Topic 3
In the poem, "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," Tolson compares America to the narrator's mother, Liberia to his wife, and Africa to his brother. What does Tolson mean by this comparison?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)