Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
2. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
3. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
4. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
5. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
2. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
3. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
4. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
5. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
6. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
7. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
8. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
9. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
10. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the poem? Does it matter that the poem is set in another country or time period? Describe the setting of the poem of you choice and explain how it effected your experience of the poem.
How does the Civil War affect the message Tolson's poetry? Choose one poem and discuss how the effects of the Civil War are demonstrated in that poem.
Define the term foreshadow. How does Tolson use foreshadowing in his poems? Provide two examples of foreshadowing and the events they predict.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)