|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
2. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
3. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
4. How does the geologist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
5. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
2. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
3. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
4. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
5. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
6. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
7. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
8. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
9. How does Tolson remove black men from responsibility in "Larghetto"?
10. How does Babylon symbolize America in the poem "Babylon"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the poem? Does it matter that the poem is set in another country or time period? Describe the setting of the poem of you choice and explain how it effected your experience of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of a new black man. What is Tolson's definition of this term, and how does he present this idea in his poems. Choose two poems to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What poem does the quote "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People" come from? Explain the significance of this quote to the poem and how it explains the message of the poem.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)