|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frederick Douglas famous for being?
2. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
3. What warnings did the man see while climbing the mountain?
4. What does the poem "The Triumph Aster" hope for?
5. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
2. What might "The Shift of Gears" be a metaphor for?
3. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
4. How does Babylon symbolize America in the poem "Babylon"?
5. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," how is the black man represented?
6. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
7. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
8. What does Tolson hope for himself in the poem "A Song for Myself"? What does he hope for the reader?
9. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
10. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact did Lincoln have on Tolson's life? Choose examples from Tolson's poems that suggest what relationship Tolson had with Lincoln. Why does Tolson hold Lincoln in such high esteem?
Essay Topic 2
When considering Tolson's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his poems? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? What do you believe inspired Tolson more, the present or past?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the poem? Does it matter that the poem is set in another country or time period? Describe the setting of the poem of you choice and explain how it effected your experience of the poem.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)