Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
2. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
3. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
4. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
5. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
2. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
3. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
4. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
5. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
6. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
7. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
8. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
9. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
10. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of a new black man. What is Tolson's definition of this term, and how does he present this idea in his poems. Choose two poems to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the poem? What are some examples where the description does not work? Cite two poems and explain how the description helps or hinders the poet's message.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term foreshadow. How does Tolson use foreshadowing in his poems? Provide two examples of foreshadowing and the events they predict.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)