|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
2. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
3. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
4. What do the townspeople become interested in during the poem "The Street Called Straight"?
5. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
2. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
3. How does Babylon symbolize America in the poem "Babylon"?
4. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
5. List two important, historical people that Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous with America." Why does he mention these people, and what did they contribute to America?
6. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
7. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
8. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
9. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
10. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term symbolism and explain the symbolism present in "The Mountain Climber."
Essay Topic 2
How does Tolson use symbolism in the poem "The Gallows"? What is the meaning behind the symbolic element(s) in this poem?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two significant events Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous With America." What are these events and why does Tolson include them in this poem?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)