|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did slaves do on slaves ships in "Lento Grave"?
2. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
3. What is La Guardia's ethnic background?
4. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
5. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
2. Describe Tolson's vision of a poet in the "The Poet."
3. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
4. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
5. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
6. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
7. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
8. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
9. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
10. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What poem does the quote "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People" come from? Explain the significance of this quote to the poem and how it explains the message of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the poem? What are some examples where the description does not work? Cite two poems and explain how the description helps or hinders the poet's message.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the characters in the Harlem Galleries. How does this character change from the beginning to the end of the collection? Do you believe Tolson allows the character to change if he or she does? Why does Tolson choose to allow the character to remain stagnant if he or she does? Choose one other character in the Harlem Galleries and explain their relationship with the initial character you chose.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)