|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Tempo Primo," what black heroes are mentioned?
2. Where are the bones of the man and snake left behind in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
3. What happens to the teacher at the end of "The Gallows"?
4. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
5. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
2. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
3. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
4. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
5. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
6. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
7. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
8. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
9. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
10. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
Essay Topic 1
When considering Tolson's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his poems? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? What do you believe inspired Tolson more, the present or past?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term foreshadow. How does Tolson use foreshadowing in his poems? Provide two examples of foreshadowing and the events they predict.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the interaction between The Curator and Hideho Heights. How do the men treat one another? What is the significance of their relationship?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)