|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets in the sanctuary in "The Triumph Aster"?
2. In the poem "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what color is the man's dyed hair?
3. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
4. According to the poet of "The Traitor to France," what is a traitor?
5. Where does Tolson repeat the same stanzas of the poem "The Mountain Climber"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," how is the black man represented?
2. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
3. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
4. What historical events does Tolson believe tested the powers of Americans in "Rendezvous with America"? What was the result of these events?
5. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
6. What might "The Shift of Gears" be a metaphor for?
7. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
8. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
9. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
10. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the poem? Does it matter that the poem is set in another country or time period? Describe the setting of the poem of you choice and explain how it effected your experience of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the poem? What are some examples where the description does not work? Cite two poems and explain how the description helps or hinders the poet's message.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two significant events Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous With America." What are these events and why does Tolson include them in this poem?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)