|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," who is the narrator's brother?
(c) The sun.
2. What does the narrator in "Beta" claim you can explore art with?
(a) Your elbows.
(b) Your toes.
(c) Your tongue.
(d) Your hair.
3. Where do the African warriors go in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
(b) The river.
(d) The field.
4. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the yellow god?
5. Where is the art in "Beta"?
(a) On the floor.
(b) In the city.
(c) In the sky.
(d) On the walls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the parts of the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" broken up?
2. In "African China," who is Big John?
3. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights in "Xi"?
4. Who is the "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" dedicated to?
5. How does the narrator describe hate in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
2. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
3. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
4. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
5. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
6. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
7. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
8. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
9. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
10. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)