|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Epsilon," what is the worst thing an artist can receive?
(a) A round of applause.
(b) A paint set.
(c) A nod of approval.
(d) An award.
2. Whose march will continue, according to "Tapestries of Time"?
(a) Global man.
3. Who is Wu Shang in "African China"?
(a) A shop owner.
(b) A priest.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A doctor.
4. What does "ex" stand for in "Beta"?
(a) The person you were.
(b) The person you used to date.
(d) The person you are.
5. What does the narrator see at the end of "Tapestries of Time"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Black Diamond?
2. What does the white god in "The Idols of the Tribe" eat?
3. Where does "Alpha" take place?
4. Where does the poem "Sigma" take place?
5. What does the poet of "The Idols of the Tribe" believe is in every society?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
2. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
3. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
4. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
5. What is the significance of the word tapestries in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
6. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
7. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
8. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
9. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
10. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)