|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose criticism does not count in "Omicron"?
(a) Fellow artists.
(b) The blind.
(c) Rich men.
(d) Poor men.
2. What do the African warriors in "The Idols of the Tribe" do?
3. What happens to people who worship false idols in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
(a) Hellfire and brimstone.
(b) God will judge them.
(c) They die.
4. According to "Omicron," what is the school of the artist?
(c) The church.
5. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," what is the gateway for black Americans to the eastern world?
(a) Mother earth.
(b) The ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fought in Halicarnassus?
2. In "The Idols of the Tribe," what does the fool do?
3. In "A Long Head to a Round Head," what is intriguing about the animals?
4. What is the purpose of the Warriors' ceremony in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
5. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
2. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
3. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
4. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
5. What is the significance of the word tapestries in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
6. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
7. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
8. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
9. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
10. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)