|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the yellow god?
2. What is a tyrant made of?
(a) A fool and a little man.
(b) Wealth and anger.
(c) A fool and a big ego.
(d) A big ego and money.
3. Who is the narrator's mother in "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
4. What does Liberia represent in "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
(b) A new Africa.
5. Who is Rufino Lauglin?
(a) The M.C.
(b) A painter.
(c) A cook.
(d) A teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolson list in "Tapestries of Time" as being a tyrant?
2. What should the viewer of art never doubt according to "Delta"?
3. Who follows tyrants?
4. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," who is the narrator's brother?
5. Who is Wu Shang in "African China"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
2. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
3. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
4. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
5. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
6. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
7. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
8. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
9. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
10. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)