|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights in "Xi"?
(a) He is indifferent.
(b) He loves his work.
(c) He thinks he is genuine.
(d) He is a fake.
2. Where is Timbuktu?
(a) South Africa.
3. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the black god?
4. How does the narrator describe the Nordic god in "The Idols of the Tribe""?
5. What is the name of the child that is born in "African China"?
(a) Ling Tsu.
(d) Wu Shang Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which language's alphabet does Tolson use in Alpha to Mu?
2. What war influences Tolson in "Tapestries of Time"?
3. What does the narrator of "Tapestries of Time" want to prevail?
4. Who is the poet laureate of Lenox Avenue in Harlem?
5. In "Omicron," what is the temperament of the artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
2. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
3. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
4. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
5. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
6. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
7. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
8. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
9. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
10. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)