|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Epsilon," what is the worst thing an artist can receive?
(a) A round of applause.
(b) An award.
(c) A nod of approval.
(d) A paint set.
2. What does the narrator see at the end of "Tapestries of Time"?
3. Where is Timbuktu?
(c) South Africa.
4. Where is the art in "Beta"?
(a) On the walls.
(b) In the sky.
(c) On the floor.
(d) In the city.
5. How are the parts of the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" broken up?
(a) By color.
(b) Musical scales.
(c) Geographic region.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors does the curator mention in "Gamma"?
2. Where do the African warriors go in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
3. Who is Wu Shang in "African China"?
4. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights in "Xi"?
5. What do the African warriors in "The Idols of the Tribe" do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
2. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
3. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
4. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
5. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
6. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
7. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
8. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
9. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
10. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)