|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Omicron," what does Dr. Nkomo insist rules the artist?
2. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," what is the gateway for black Americans to the eastern world?
(a) Mother earth.
(c) The ocean.
3. Who follows tyrants?
(a) The rich.
(b) The poor.
(c) The smart.
4. What does the poet of "The Idols of the Tribe" believe is in every society?
(b) A Hitler figure.
(d) An unheard voice.
5. What tyrant does the narrator mention in "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
(c) Louis XI.
(d) Charles the Great.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe hate in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
2. Who is the poet laureate of Lenox Avenue in Harlem?
3. What animal is in "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
4. What does "ex" stand for in "Beta"?
5. Who does Tolson list in "Tapestries of Time" as being a tyrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
2. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
3. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
4. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
5. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
6. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
7. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
8. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
9. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
10. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)