|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which language's alphabet does Tolson use in Alpha to Mu?
2. What does the poet of "The Idols of the Tribe" believe is in every society?
(a) A Hitler figure.
(d) An unheard voice.
3. In "Tapestries of Time," what do the common people not dream about?
4. What tyrant does the narrator mention in "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
(a) Louis XI.
(d) Charles the Great.
5. What does the narrator in "Beta" claim you can explore art with?
(a) Your hair.
(b) Your toes.
(c) Your tongue.
(d) Your elbows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is in "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
2. Where is the art in "Beta"?
3. How does the narrator describe hate in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
4. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the black god?
5. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," who is the narrator's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
2. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
3. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
4. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
5. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
6. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
7. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
8. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
9. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
10. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)