|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is art to the curator in "Gamma"?
(a) A blend of lines.
(b) Boring and bland.
(c) A mosiac of colors.
(d) A masterpiece of skill.
2. What should the viewer of art never doubt according to "Delta"?
(a) Their interpretation.
(b) The history of art.
(c) The aritst.
(d) The inks used.
3. What is the purpose of the Warriors' ceremony in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
4. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
(a) Scary and safe.
(b) Fun and dull.
(c) Old and new.
(d) Primitive and sophisticated.
5. Which language's alphabet does Tolson use in Alpha to Mu?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the parts of the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" broken up?
2. What does time move on despite in "Tapestries of Time"?
3. What does man continually do according to "Tapestries of Time" during the Golden Age?
4. Who does the poet compare the people of Liberia to?
5. According to "Omicron," what is the school of the artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
2. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
3. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
4. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
5. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
6. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
7. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
8. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
9. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
10. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)