|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "E.&O.E." stand for?
(a) Ears and orthopedics excellence.
(b) Errors and omissions excepted.
(c) Edgar and Oliver Ewelle.
(d) Errors and out-takes excellent.
2. What does "ex" stand for in "Beta"?
(b) The person you used to date.
(c) The person you are.
(d) The person you were.
3. In "Omicron," what does Dr. Nkomo insist rules the artist?
4. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
(a) Primitive and sophisticated.
(b) Old and new.
(c) Fun and dull.
(d) Scary and safe.
5. Who does the Golden Age occur with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the white man's philosophy according to "Mu"?
2. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," who is the narrator's brother?
3. In "African China," who is Big John?
4. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the black god?
5. In "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia," what is the gateway for black Americans to the eastern world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
2. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
3. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
4. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
5. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
6. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
7. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
8. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
9. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
10. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)