|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Omicron," what is the temperament of the artist?
2. What artist did the Curator teach Black Diamond about?
(c) Van Gogh.
3. What does "E.&O.E." stand for?
(a) Edgar and Oliver Ewelle.
(b) Errors and omissions excepted.
(c) Errors and out-takes excellent.
(d) Ears and orthopedics excellence.
4. Where is Timbuktu?
(c) South Africa.
5. Who is Wu Shang in "African China"?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A shop owner.
(d) A priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Idols of the Tribe," what does the fool do?
2. Which language's alphabet does Tolson use in Alpha to Mu?
3. Who is the poet laureate of Lenox Avenue in Harlem?
4. What is the purpose of the Warriors' ceremony in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
5. What day is it in the poem "Rho"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the word tapestries in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
2. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
3. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
4. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
5. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
6. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
7. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
8. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
9. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
10. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)