|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who follows tyrants?
(a) The smart.
(c) The poor.
(d) The rich.
2. What is the purpose of the Warriors' ceremony in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
3. Who does the poet compare the people of Liberia to?
4. In "The Idols of the Tribe," how many points does a road meet at?
5. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
(a) Scary and safe.
(b) Old and new.
(c) Fun and dull.
(d) Primitive and sophisticated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fought in Halicarnassus?
2. Who does the Golden Age occur with?
3. Where does the poem "Sigma" take place?
4. In "A Long Head to a Round Head," what is intriguing about the animals?
5. What do the African warriors in "The Idols of the Tribe" do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
2. What does the Curator think about Hideho Heights? Why does he feel this way?
3. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
4. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
5. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
6. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
7. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
8. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
9. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
10. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)