|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "African China," who is Big John?
(a) A gigolo.
(b) A dancer.
(c) A bouncer.
(d) A teacher.
2. In "Omicron," what does Dr. Nkomo insist rules the artist?
3. According to "Omicron," what is the school of the artist?
(d) The church.
4. In "Tapestries of Time," what do the common people not dream about?
5. Who is the narrator's mother in "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Omicron," what is the temperament of the artist?
2. Where does "Alpha" take place?
3. Where is Timbuktu?
4. Where is the art in "Beta"?
5. What does man continually do according to "Tapestries of Time" during the Golden Age?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
2. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
3. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
4. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
5. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
6. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
7. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
8. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
9. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
10. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)