|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet of "The Idols of the Tribe" believe is in every society?
(c) A Hitler figure.
(d) An unheard voice.
2. How are the parts of the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" broken up?
(a) Geographic region.
(c) By color.
(d) Musical scales.
3. Whose criticism does not count in "Omicron"?
(a) Fellow artists.
(b) The blind.
(c) Poor men.
(d) Rich men.
4. What tyrant does the narrator mention in "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
(b) Louis XI.
(c) Charles the Great.
5. What is the name of the child that is born in "African China"?
(b) Ling Tsu.
(d) Wu Shang Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the Nordic god in "The Idols of the Tribe""?
2. Who is the self-portrait of in "Upsilon"?
3. Who fought in Halicarnassus?
4. What war influences Tolson in "Tapestries of Time"?
5. What religion was celebrated in Timbuktu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
2. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
3. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
4. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
5. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
6. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
7. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
8. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
9. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
10. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)