|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Golden Age occur with?
2. In "Omicron," what does Dr. Nkomo insist rules the artist?
3. What religion was celebrated in Timbuktu?
4. What day is it in the poem "Rho"?
(d) New Years Day.
5. What do the African warriors in "The Idols of the Tribe" do?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose criticism does not count in "Omicron"?
2. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
3. Who breaks her leg in "African China"?
4. In "A Long Head to a Round Head," what is intriguing about the animals?
5. Who does Tolson list in "Tapestries of Time" as being a tyrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
2. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
3. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
4. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
5. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
6. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
7. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
8. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
9. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
10. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)