|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Omicron," what is the school of the artist?
(d) The church.
2. Where is Timbuktu?
(d) South Africa.
3. Who breaks her leg in "African China"?
(a) Mary Martin.
(b) Sally Suitor.
(c) Dixie Dixon.
(d) Dot Duet.
4. Who follows tyrants?
(a) The smart.
(c) The rich.
(d) The poor.
5. In "The Idols of the Tribe," how many points does a road meet at?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolson list in "Tapestries of Time" as being a tyrant?
2. What does man continually do according to "Tapestries of Time" during the Golden Age?
3. Who is Abraham Lincoln's mother in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
4. In "Omicron," what is the temperament of the artist?
5. What tyrant does the narrator mention in "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
2. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
3. How does Tolson believe tyrants remain in power?
4. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
5. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
6. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
7. What is the significance of the word tapestries in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
8. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
9. How does the narrator define himself in "E.&O.E."?
10. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)