|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" dedicated to?
(a) Queen Shiraz.
(c) Marion Joyfield.
2. Who is the narrator's mother in "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
3. Who is Black Diamond?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) The curator.
(d) The heir to the Lenox Policy Racket.
4. How does the narrator of "The Idols of the Tribe" describe the yellow god?
5. What artist did the Curator teach Black Diamond about?
(a) Van Gogh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tyrant does the narrator mention in "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
2. Who is Wu Shang in "African China"?
3. What places does the narrator discuss in "Alpha"?
4. What does the narrator see at the end of "Tapestries of Time"?
5. Who does Tolson list in "Tapestries of Time" as being a tyrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
2. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
3. Why does Tolson believe that despite the reign of tyrants justice will prevail?
4. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
5. Explain your interpretation of the line "You are / Black Lazarus risen from the White Man's grave" from the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia."
6. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
7. What might have been the reason Tolson elects to use the Greek alphabet to separate his poem Harlem Gallery?
8. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
9. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
10. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)