|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Warriors' ceremony in "The Idols of the Tribe"?
2. Who is the narrator's mother in "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
3. What does "ex" stand for in "Beta"?
(b) The person you were.
(c) The person you are.
(d) The person you used to date.
4. What war influences Tolson in "Tapestries of Time"?
(a) Spanish American War.
(b) Gulf War.
(d) Vietnam War.
5. What is a tyrant made of?
(a) A big ego and money.
(b) Wealth and anger.
(c) A fool and a big ego.
(d) A fool and a little man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the child that is born in "African China"?
2. What are the two ways of life according to "E.&O.E."?
3. Where is the art in "Beta"?
4. What does the narrator in "Beta" claim you can explore art with?
5. What is the white man's philosophy according to "Mu"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
2. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
3. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
4. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
5. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
6. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
7. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
8. What does the poem "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" mean when it suggests that America is the narrator's mother and Liberia is his wife.
9. What is the danger of worshiping false idols according to Tolson?
10. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)