|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Stokowski?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A painter.
(d) A composer.
2. Where do the workers in "The Shipwright" feel they are citizens of?
3. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
4. What do the townspeople become interested in during the poem "The Street Called Straight"?
5. Who does the farmer in "Old Man Michael" blame for his bad crops?
(b) The workers.
(c) The weather.
(d) His ex-wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
2. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
3. What hurts the farmer's feet in "Old Man Michael"?
4. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
5. Where is "Vesuvius" located?
Short Essay Questions
1. List two important, historical people that Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous with America." Why does he mention these people, and what did they contribute to America?
2. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
3. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
4. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
5. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
6. What is the poet trying to prove in his poem "Rendezvous with America"? How does he prove this?
7. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
8. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
9. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
10. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)