|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the skull the mountain climber finds belong to?
(a) A bear.
(b) A cow.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A previous climber.
2. What crash does "Larghetto" assert black men were not involved in?
(d) Stock market.
3. What is the town logo in "The Town of Fathers"?
(a) "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People."
(b) "Where beauty is just."
(c) "If you lived here you would be home by now."
(d) "Freedom and Justice for all."
4. What is Frederick Douglas famous for being?
(a) A musician.
(b) An abolitionist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A painter.
5. In the poem "Old House," whose ghost is not welcome?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) Lazurus's mouse.
(c) George Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" tell the narrator?
2. Who is Lin Yutang?
3. Who is the object in "Damascus Bride" fit for?
4. What sounds does the poet hear in "Rendezvous With America"?
5. How might one view America after reading "Rendezvous With America"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Tolson in the poem "The Idols of the Tribe," who is likely to worship false idols?
2. Describe Tolson's vision of a poet in the "The Poet."
3. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
4. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
5. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
6. Why does Tolson suggest in "Epsilon" that a nod of approval is the worst thing for an artist?
7. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
8. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
9. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," how is the black man represented?
10. What does Tolson hope for himself in the poem "A Song for Myself"? What does he hope for the reader?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)