|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is "Vesuvius" located?
(c) Costa Rica.
2. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
(a) He has no manners.
(b) He killed a black soldier in the Flanders Field.
(c) He doesn't drink scotch.
(d) He hit a woman.
3. Where does Tolson repeat the same stanzas of the poem "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) The begining and middle.
(c) The beginning and end.
(d) The middle and end.
4. What does the poet think of Crispus Attucks?
(a) He is a bad person.
(b) He is a hero.
(c) He does not like him.
(d) He is a good person.
5. What does Tolson say forgetting is akin to in "Andante Sostenuto"?
(c) Spurning democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
2. Who is La Guardia?
3. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
4. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
5. What does love equal in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
2. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
3. List two important, historical people that Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous with America." Why does he mention these people, and what did they contribute to America?
4. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
5. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
6. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
7. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
8. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
9. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
10. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)