|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the black men respond to the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
(a) They kick him.
(b) They hate him.
(c) They fear him.
(d) They laugh at him.
2. How does the economist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(a) Wealth and poverty.
(c) The stock market.
3. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
(a) A school.
(b) A garage.
(c) A yard.
(d) A house.
4. How does the poet describe the mongrel in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
5. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
(a) An ocean.
(b) A desert.
(c) A stream.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time period does "Lento Grave" discuss?
2. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
3. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
4. Who is Louis Brandeis?
5. In the poem "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what color is the man's dyed hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
2. What is the significance of the the sign in "The Town of Fathers" that reads "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People"?
3. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
4. How does Babylon symbolize America in the poem "Babylon"?
5. List two important, historical people that Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous with America." Why does he mention these people, and what did they contribute to America?
6. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
7. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
8. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
9. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
10. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)