|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the scientist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(c) No one knows.
(d) Reproduction in the animal and plant kingdom.
2. According to "A Song for Myself," what can one find in death?
3. What does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" chant about?
4. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(b) The city square.
(c) The temple.
(d) The lake.
5. What is a Hamlet?
(a) A murder.
(b) A ring.
(c) A slice of meat.
(d) A flower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
2. What does Tolson say forgetting is akin to in "Andante Sostenuto"?
3. What does the narrator in "A Hamlet Rives Us" fail to acknowledge?
4. What is Frederick Douglas famous for being?
5. What object does the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" make?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
2. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
3. What is the significance of the the sign in "The Town of Fathers" that reads "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People"?
4. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
5. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
6. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
7. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
8. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
9. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
10. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)