|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet of "Rendezvous With America" claim America will face?
(a) Great Wealth.
(b) A war with Russia.
2. In "When Great Dogs Fight" what does the mongrel steal at the end of the poem?
(a) A steak.
(b) A bone.
(c) A toy.
(d) A slice of bread.
3. What does the Malay wear in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
(a) A robe.
(b) A dress.
(c) A suit.
(d) A loin cloth.
4. What warnings did the man see while climbing the mountain?
5. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," what happens to the tree's limbs?
(a) They sag.
(b) They are chopped up for wood.
(c) They burn.
(d) They stick straight up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the man fight for in "The Furlough"?
2. What does Tolson hope for in the poem "A Song for Myself"?
3. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
4. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" compare shifting too?
5. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
2. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
3. What is the purpose of the use of religion in "Rendezvous with America"?
4. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
5. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
6. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
7. What historical events does Tolson believe tested the powers of Americans in "Rendezvous with America"? What was the result of these events?
8. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
9. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
10. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)