|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Stokowski?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A painter.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A composer.
2. How does the poet describe the mongrel in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
3. In "The Blindness of Scorn," what does the Malay guide become caught in?
(a) A sink hole.
(b) Quick. Sand.
(c) A snake's coil.
(d) A web.
4. Who is La Guardia?
(a) A teacher,
(b) A judge.
(c) A writer.
(d) A mayor.
5. What does a teacher teach his students in "The Gallows"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
2. What happens to men who live bad lives and have bad souls in "A Song for Myself"?
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
4. How does the poet describe the people that flock to America in "Rendezvous With America"?
5. Where does the poem "The Bard of Addis Ababa" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
2. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
3. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
4. How does Tolson remove black men from responsibility in "Larghetto"?
5. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
6. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
7. What is the poet trying to prove in his poem "Rendezvous with America"? How does he prove this?
8. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
9. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
10. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)