|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(a) The temple.
(c) The lake.
(d) The city square.
2. What does Tolson claim in "Dark Symphony" that the black man has less of then white men?
3. What president is mentioned in "The Dictionary of the Wolf"?
4. What does the black man want in "Tempo Primo"?
(b) A better tomorrow.
5. How do the black men respond to the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
(a) They hate him.
(b) They kick him.
(c) They fear him.
(d) They laugh at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the geologist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
2. What question does Tolson ask in "The Mountain Climber"?
3. What do the Indians in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake" do to the white man?
4. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
5. What type of animal is featured in "The Bard of Addis Ababa"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
2. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
3. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
4. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
5. How does Babylon symbolize America in the poem "Babylon"?
6. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
7. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
8. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
9. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
10. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)