|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the workers in "The Shipwright" feel they are citizens of?
2. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
3. What does the black man want in "Tempo Primo"?
(b) A better tomorrow.
4. What does Tolson say forgetting is akin to in "Andante Sostenuto"?
(c) Spurning democracy.
5. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
(a) A house.
(b) A stream.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Malay wear in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
2. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
3. What industries does the poet describe in "Rendezvous With America"?
4. How many parts is the poem "Dark Symphony"?
5. What does the white man tell the black man to forget in "Andante Sostenuto"?
Short Essay Questions
1. List two important, historical people that Tolson mentions in "Rendezvous with America." Why does he mention these people, and what did they contribute to America?
2. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
3. How does Babylon symbolize America in the poem "Babylon"?
4. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
5. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
6. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
7. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
8. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
9. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
10. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)