|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "When Great Dogs Fight" what does the mongrel steal at the end of the poem?
(a) A slice of bread.
(b) A steak.
(c) A toy.
(d) A bone.
2. Who meets at Versailles?
(a) June Cleaver.
(b) Louis XVI.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) President Obama.
3. What is La Guardia's ethnic background?
4. What concept does the poem "Tempo Primo" discuss?
(a) Education in America.
(b) Future versus past.
(c) The new black man.
(d) The harlem pride.
5. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
(b) Republicans and Democrats.
(d) Ku Klux Klan and anti-Semites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stokowski?
2. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
3. What do the townspeople become interested in during the poem "The Street Called Straight"?
4. What happens to the teacher at the end of "The Gallows"?
5. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
2. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
3. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
4. What does Tolson believe is the greatest gift Africa has to give to its people according to "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia"?
5. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
6. What is the significance of the the sign in "The Town of Fathers" that reads "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People"?
7. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
8. What is the significance of separating "Libretto for the Republic of Liberia" into musical segments?
9. What is the purpose of the use of religion in "Rendezvous with America"?
10. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)