|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the geologist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(a) The stars.
(b) The planets.
(c) The moon.
(d) The earth.
2. How does the poet describe Michael in "Old Man Michael"?
3. How might one view America after reading "Rendezvous With America"?
(b) Melting pot.
4. What is a Hamlet?
(a) A flower.
(b) A slice of meat.
(c) A murder.
(d) A ring.
5. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frederick Douglas famous for being?
2. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
3. Who is the object in "Damascus Bride" fit for?
4. Where is "Vesuvius" located?
5. What sounds does the poet hear in "Rendezvous With America"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
2. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
3. Describe the different Gods Tolson describes in "The Idols of the Tribe."
4. In "Pi" it is written that art without limits can climb mountains. What is meant by this?
5. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
6. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
7. What is Tolson's opinion on tyrants as seen in the poem "A Long Head to a Round Head"?
8. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
9. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
10. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)