|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Shift of Gears," what does the man fix?
(a) His bike.
(b) His boat.
(c) His car.
(d) His motercycle.
2. What does the narrator in "A Hamlet Rives Us" fail to acknowledge?
(a) His editor.
(b) His friend's grief.
(c) His daughter's marriage.
(d) His mother's divorce.
3. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
4. Where does the poem "The Bard of Addis Ababa" take place?
5. What does the white man tell the black man to forget in "Andante Sostenuto"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the black men respond to the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
2. How does the poet describe the mongrel in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
3. Who is the object in "Damascus Bride" fit for?
4. What does the poet think of Crispus Attucks?
5. What act of nature does the oak tree face in "A Scholar Looks at an Oak"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
2. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
3. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
4. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
5. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
6. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
7. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
8. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
9. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
10. Describe Tolson's vision of a poet in the "The Poet."
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)