|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the scientist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(a) Reproduction in the animal and plant kingdom.
(b) No one knows.
2. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
(a) A yard.
(b) A garage.
(c) A school.
(d) A house.
3. Who is Louis Brandeis?
(a) A supreme court justice.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A wrestler.
(d) A boxer.
4. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(a) The temple.
(c) The lake.
(d) The city square.
5. Where is "Vesuvius" located?
(c) Costa Rica.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Tolson ask in "The Mountain Climber"?
2. What does a teacher teach his students in "The Gallows"?
3. What happens to men who live bad lives and have bad souls in "A Song for Myself"?
4. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
5. Who is Lin Yutang?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Babylon symbolize America in the poem "Babylon"?
2. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
3. Describe Tolson's vision of a poet in the "The Poet."
4. What is the lesson that Tolson puts forth in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
5. How does Tolson remove black men from responsibility in "Larghetto"?
6. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
7. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
8. What is the poet trying to prove in his poem "Rendezvous with America"? How does he prove this?
9. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
10. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)