|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Empire State Building.
(b) Pearl Harbor.
(c) Eiffel tower.
2. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" tell the narrator?
(a) He shifts too aggressively
(b) Motercycles are dangerous.
(c) His car needs gas.
(d) Boats are out of fashion.
3. Who is Lin Yutang?
(a) A painter.
(b) A scientist.
(c) A writer.
(d) A boxer.
4. What does Tolson claim in "Dark Symphony" that the black man has less of then white men?
5. Who is Louis Brandeis?
(a) A wrestler.
(b) A boxer.
(c) A supreme court justice.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" make?
2. Why does the scientist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
3. What is a Hamlet?
4. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
5. Where does the poem "The Bard of Addis Ababa" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
2. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
3. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
4. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
5. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
6. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
7. What is the poet trying to prove in his poem "Rendezvous with America"? How does he prove this?
8. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
9. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
10. What is the significance of the the sign in "The Town of Fathers" that reads "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People"?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)