|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what are the sharecroppers doing?
(b) Telling stories.
(c) Working in the field.
2. What does the poem "The Triumph Aster" hope for?
(c) Economic success.
(d) A better world.
3. When does the town of fathers meet?
(a) September 8th.
(b) July 4th.
(c) June 4th.
(d) March 6th.
4. What does a teacher teach his students in "The Gallows"?
5. What is a Hamlet?
(a) A slice of meat.
(b) A murder.
(c) A flower.
(d) A ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
2. What happens to the teacher at the end of "The Gallows"?
3. In the poem "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what color is the man's dyed hair?
4. In the poem "Old House," whose ghost is not welcome?
5. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
2. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
3. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
4. What is the purpose of the use of religion in "Rendezvous with America"?
5. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
6. Describe Tolson's vision of a poet in the "The Poet."
7. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
8. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
9. What historical events does Tolson believe tested the powers of Americans in "Rendezvous with America"? What was the result of these events?
10. How does Tolson remove black men from responsibility in "Larghetto"?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)