|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the economist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(c) The stock market.
(d) Wealth and poverty.
2. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
(b) Republicans and Democrats.
(c) Ku Klux Klan and anti-Semites.
3. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
(a) W.E.B. Dubois.
(b) Bok Choy.
(c) Madame Chiang.
(d) Wilfred Scott.
4. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
(b) Purple and green.
(d) Black and white.
5. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(a) The city square.
(c) The temple.
(d) The lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time period does "Lento Grave" discuss?
2. What do the townspeople become interested in during the poem "The Street Called Straight"?
3. In "If You Should Lie to Me," who is the narrator speaking to?
4. Who are the white men mentioned in "Rendezvous With America"?
5. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," what happens to the tree's limbs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
2. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
3. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
4. How does Tolson address tyranny in the poem "Tapestries of Time"?
5. How does the nickname African-China come about in the poem "African China"?
6. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
7. What is the significance of the Harlem Gallery according to Tolson?
8. What is the significance of the Curator in Harlem Gallery distinguishing the importance of the word "ex"?
9. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
10. What role does the Curator play in the Harlem Gallery poems?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)