|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets in the sanctuary in "The Triumph Aster"?
(b) North and South.
(c) East and West.
(d) A man and woman.
2. Who is Stokowski?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A composer.
(d) A painter.
3. What does the poet of "Rendezvous With America" claim America will face?
(a) Great Wealth.
(d) A war with Russia.
4. Where does the poem "The Bard of Addis Ababa" take place?
5. Where are the bones of the man and snake left behind in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
(a) The desert.
(b) The swamp.
(c) The forest.
(d) The field.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
2. What type of animal is featured in "The Bard of Addis Ababa"?
3. Who does Tolson compare the mountain climber's plight to?
4. What does a teacher teach his students in "The Gallows"?
5. What does Tolson hope for in the poem "A Song for Myself"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
2. What might "The Shift of Gears" be a metaphor for?
3. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
4. How is hatred the downfall of white men in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
5. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
6. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
7. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
8. How does Tolson describe the common people in "Rendezvous with America"?
9. What does Tolson hope for himself in the poem "A Song for Myself"? What does he hope for the reader?
10. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)