|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the man fight for in "The Furlough"?
(a) His fellow soldiers.
(b) His lover.
(c) Hi family.
(d) His friend.
2. How does the poet describe the mongrel in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
3. What does the poet of "Rendezvous With America" claim America will face?
(a) A war with Russia.
(c) Great Wealth.
4. What do the Indians in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake" do to the white man?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Torture him.
(c) Invite him to dinner.
(d) Share a peace pipe.
5. What does Tolson hope for in the poem "A Song for Myself"?
(b) A good afterlife.
(c) Peace on earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did slaves do on slaves ships in "Lento Grave"?
2. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
3. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
4. How does the geologist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
5. What concept does the poem "Tempo Primo" discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
2. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
3. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
4. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
5. Describe the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa."
6. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," how is the black man represented?
7. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
8. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
9. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
10. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)