Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
(a) A desert.
(b) A stream.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A house.
2. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
3. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
(c) A legacy.
(d) A new president.
4. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
(a) The new election.
(b) The earthquake of 1920.
(c) Jim Crow laws.
(d) The fire of 1812.
5. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Eiffel tower.
(b) Pearl Harbor.
(d) Empire State Building.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
2. Who does Tolson compare the mountain climber's plight to?
3. What industries does the poet describe in "Rendezvous With America"?
4. Who is La Guardia?
5. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the teacher die in "The Gallows"?
2. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
3. Why does Doctor Nkomo feel that life and art are linked?
4. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
5. What is Tolson's opinion of Abraham Lincoln in "Abraham Lincoln of Rock Springs Farm"?
6. How does the poem "The Mountain Climber" represent the struggle to acclimate to America?
7. Why does the poem "The Idols of the Tribe" open with a quote from Hitler?
8. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
9. What will bring death to the narrator in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
10. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)