|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the poet describe Michael in "Old Man Michael"?
2. What does the Malay wear in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
(a) A loin cloth.
(b) A dress.
(c) A suit.
(d) A robe.
3. What is La Guardia's ethnic background?
4. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
(a) He has no manners.
(b) He hit a woman.
(c) He doesn't drink scotch.
(d) He killed a black soldier in the Flanders Field.
5. According to the poet of "The Traitor to France," what is a traitor?
(a) A smart person.
(b) A loser.
(c) A hero.
(d) A thief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolson compare the mountain climber's plight to?
2. What does the poet think of Crispus Attucks?
3. What is the poem "Vesuvius" about?
4. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
5. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson define bravery in the poem "The Big Game Hunter"?
2. What does Tolson mean when he suggests there is truth in death in "A Song for Myself"?
3. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
4. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
5. How does the story of the sheep and the wolf in "The Dictionary of the Wolf" symbolize racism?
6. Why do the black men laugh at the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
7. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
8. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
9. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
10. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)