|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
(a) W.E.B. Dubois.
(b) Bok Choy.
(c) Wilfred Scott.
(d) Madame Chiang.
2. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" tell the narrator?
(a) He shifts too aggressively
(b) Boats are out of fashion.
(c) His car needs gas.
(d) Motercycles are dangerous.
3. Where does the poem "The Bard of Addis Ababa" take place?
4. According to the poet of "The Traitor to France," what is a traitor?
(a) A smart person.
(b) A thief.
(c) A loser.
(d) A hero.
5. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
(a) Patrick Henry.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Frederick Douglas.
(d) Sam Wheat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
2. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
3. Where does Tolson repeat the same stanzas of the poem "The Mountain Climber"?
4. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
5. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tolson remove black men from responsibility in "Larghetto"?
2. What is Tolson's final message to the reader in "Tempo di Marcia"?
3. Why does no one listen to the hillman in the poem "Vesuvius"?
4. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
5. Who are the bad people that Tolson mentions in his poem "Rendezvous with America," and why does he feel the need to mention them?
6. Why does the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar" feel guilty, and how does he appease this guilt?
7. How do different people view the world in "A Primer for Today"?
8. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
9. What might "The Shift of Gears" be a metaphor for?
10. What historical events does Tolson believe tested the powers of Americans in "Rendezvous with America"? What was the result of these events?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)