|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) Thunder and lightening.
(c) Cold and snowy.
2. How might one view America after reading "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Melting pot.
3. Who are the white men mentioned in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) George Bush and Bill Clinton.
(b) Daniel Boone and Jesse James.
(c) Ben Franklin and George Washington.
(d) Davy Crockett and Paul Bunyon.
4. What does the poet of "Rendezvous With America" claim America will face?
(b) Great Wealth.
(c) A war with Russia.
5. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
(a) Jim Crow laws.
(b) The fire of 1812.
(c) The new election.
(d) The earthquake of 1920.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tolson repeat the same stanzas of the poem "The Mountain Climber"?
2. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
3. Where did the one sharecropper travel in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
4. What industries does the poet describe in "Rendezvous With America"?
5. In "The Shift of Gears," what does the man fix?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tolson believe the "new black man" embodies according to "Tempo Primo"?
2. In "Dark Symphony," how does Tolson suggest black men formed a brotherhood?
3. Why did Tolson decide to split "Dark Symphony" into titles that are musical movements?
4. What might the volcano's eruption signify in the poem "Vesuvius"?
5. How does Tolson demonstrate that Crispus Attucks is a hero in "Allegro Moderato"?
6. What message is Tolson trying to send with the blade in "The Damascus Bride"?
7. What is the meaning of the bones of both the snake and the man are left in the dessert in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
8. Why is it important that Tolson does not identify the race of the person who tells the story in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
9. How does Babylon symbolize America in the poem "Babylon"?
10. How does "The Street Called Straight" become crooked?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)