|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) Cold and snowy.
(b) Thunder and lightening.
2. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," what happens to the tree's limbs?
(a) They burn.
(b) They are chopped up for wood.
(c) They sag.
(d) They stick straight up.
3. What crash does "Larghetto" assert black men were not involved in?
(c) Stock market.
4. What should separate the rose and the thorn in "The Unknown Soldier"?
5. In "When Great Dogs Fight" what does the mongrel steal at the end of the poem?
(a) A bone.
(b) A steak.
(c) A slice of bread.
(d) A toy.
6. What happens to the teacher at the end of "The Gallows"?
(a) He receives several awards.
(b) He marries.
(c) The town hangs him.
(d) The town shoots him.
7. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
8. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
9. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
(a) A house.
(b) An ocean.
(c) A stream.
(d) A desert.
10. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
(a) They are right.
(b) There are no wise men in town.
(c) They are wrong.
(d) The hillmen are jealous.
11. Where do the workers in "The Shipwright" feel they are citizens of?
12. Who is Stokowski?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A painter.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A composer.
13. What is a Hamlet?
(a) A murder.
(b) A flower.
(c) A slice of meat.
(d) A ring.
14. What Indian tribe tied up the man in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
15. Who is La Guardia?
(a) A writer.
(b) A judge.
(c) A teacher,
(d) A mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what are the sharecroppers doing?
2. How long does Tolson say blacks were enslaved in "Andante Sostenuto"?
3. In the poem "Old House," whose ghost is not welcome?
4. In "Tempo Primo," what black heroes are mentioned?
5. Who is Crispus Attucks?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)