|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
2. Who does the skull the mountain climber finds belong to?
(a) A previous climber.
(b) A bear.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A cow.
3. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
(b) Black and white.
(d) Purple and green.
4. What does Tolson say forgetting is akin to in "Andante Sostenuto"?
(c) Spurning democracy.
5. What crash does "Larghetto" assert black men were not involved in?
(c) Stock market.
6. How long does Tolson say blacks were enslaved in "Andante Sostenuto"?
(a) 300 years.
(b) 100 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 50 years.
7. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
8. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Ku Klux Klan and anti-Semites.
(c) Republicans and Democrats.
9. What act of nature does the oak tree face in "A Scholar Looks at an Oak"?
10. What animal is mentioned in "A Legend of Versailles"?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A dog.
(c) A bear.
(d) A sheep.
11. What type of animal is featured in "The Bard of Addis Ababa"?
(a) A cat.
(b) A lion.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bear.
12. How does the economist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(c) The stock market.
(d) Wealth and poverty.
13. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
(a) A house.
(b) A garage.
(c) A yard.
(d) A school.
14. What does the narrator in "A Hamlet Rives Us" fail to acknowledge?
(a) His editor.
(b) His friend's grief.
(c) His daughter's marriage.
(d) His mother's divorce.
15. In "Tempo Primo," what black heroes are mentioned?
(a) President Obama.
(b) Jesse Jackson.
(c) Justice Clarence Thomas.
(d) Harriet Tubman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industries does the poet describe in "Rendezvous With America"?
2. What can bad men not escape according to "A Song for Myself"?
3. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
4. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
5. Where does Tolson repeat the same stanzas of the poem "The Mountain Climber"?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)