|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
(a) The fire of 1812.
(b) The new election.
(c) The earthquake of 1920.
(d) Jim Crow laws.
2. What does the Malay claim in "The Blindness of Scorn" put people on the attack?
3. Who is La Guardia?
(a) A writer.
(b) A judge.
(c) A mayor.
(d) A teacher,
4. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
(c) Empire State Building.
(d) Eiffel tower.
5. What is tied to the rattlesnakes tail in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
(a) A bone.
(b) A rock.
(c) A stick.
(d) A fork.
6. What should separate the rose and the thorn in "The Unknown Soldier"?
7. What do the townspeople become interested in during the poem "The Street Called Straight"?
8. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
(a) An ocean.
(b) A stream.
(c) A desert.
(d) A house.
9. What does the narrator in "A Hamlet Rives Us" fail to acknowledge?
(a) His daughter's marriage.
(b) His editor.
(c) His friend's grief.
(d) His mother's divorce.
10. How long does Tolson say blacks were enslaved in "Andante Sostenuto"?
(a) 500 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 100 years.
(d) 300 years.
11. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
(a) Whether change happens fast or slow.
(b) What happened to JFK.
(c) Who the last ten presidents were.
(d) The future.
12. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
(a) Frederick Douglas.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Sam Wheat.
(d) Patrick Henry.
13. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
(c) Black and white.
(d) Purple and green.
14. Who meets in the sanctuary in "The Triumph Aster"?
(a) East and West.
(b) A man and woman.
(c) North and South.
15. What is a Hamlet?
(a) A murder.
(b) A flower.
(c) A slice of meat.
(d) A ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the poem "Vesuvius" about?
2. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
3. What is La Guardia's ethnic background?
4. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," what happens to the tree's limbs?
5. How might one view America after reading "Rendezvous With America"?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)