|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the workers in "The Shipwright" feel they are citizens of?
2. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
(a) Through tragedy.
(b) By code.
(c) Through love.
3. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
4. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) Thunder and lightening.
(b) Cold and snowy.
5. What is the poem "Vesuvius" about?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A mountain.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A Greek god.
6. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
(a) Frederick Douglas.
(b) Patrick Henry.
(c) Sam Wheat.
(d) George Washington.
7. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
8. What does Tolson say forgetting is akin to in "Andante Sostenuto"?
(c) Spurning democracy.
9. What is the man in "A Hamlet Rives Us" doing during the poem?
(d) Expressing joy.
10. What does the poet of "Rendezvous With America" claim America will face?
(c) A war with Russia.
(d) Great Wealth.
11. Who does the man fight for in "The Furlough"?
(a) His lover.
(b) His fellow soldiers.
(c) His friend.
(d) Hi family.
12. What does the narrator in "A Hamlet Rives Us" fail to acknowledge?
(a) His daughter's marriage.
(b) His editor.
(c) His friend's grief.
(d) His mother's divorce.
13. Who meets in the sanctuary in "The Triumph Aster"?
(a) East and West.
(b) A man and woman.
(d) North and South.
14. What is a Hamlet?
(a) A slice of meat.
(b) A murder.
(c) A flower.
(d) A ring.
15. What does the white man tell the black man to forget in "Andante Sostenuto"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Indians in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake" do to the white man?
2. In "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what are the sharecroppers doing?
3. What act of nature does the oak tree face in "A Scholar Looks at an Oak"?
4. What does Tolson hope for in the poem "A Song for Myself"?
5. How does the poet describe the mongrel in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)