|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
(b) Through love.
(c) Through tragedy.
(d) By code.
2. What hurts the farmer's feet in "Old Man Michael"?
(b) His shoes.
(d) The roots.
3. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" tell the narrator?
(a) He shifts too aggressively
(b) His car needs gas.
(c) Motercycles are dangerous.
(d) Boats are out of fashion.
4. Where does the poem "The Bard of Addis Ababa" take place?
5. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
(a) What happened to JFK.
(b) Whether change happens fast or slow.
(c) Who the last ten presidents were.
(d) The future.
6. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
7. What do the townspeople become interested in during the poem "The Street Called Straight"?
8. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
9. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
(a) They are right.
(b) There are no wise men in town.
(c) The hillmen are jealous.
(d) They are wrong.
10. Who is Lin Yutang?
(a) A writer.
(b) A boxer.
(c) A scientist.
(d) A painter.
11. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" compare shifting too?
(a) Eating soup.
(b) Riding a horse.
(d) Riding a bike.
12. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
(b) Ku Klux Klan and anti-Semites.
(d) Republicans and Democrats.
13. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
(b) Black and white.
(d) Purple and green.
14. What object does the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" make?
(a) A basket.
(b) A blade.
(c) A gun.
(d) A table.
15. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
(a) The new election.
(b) The fire of 1812.
(c) Jim Crow laws.
(d) The earthquake of 1920.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poem "The Triumph Aster" hope for?
2. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
3. What can bad men not escape according to "A Song for Myself"?
4. What sounds does the poet hear in "Rendezvous With America"?
5. What does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" chant about?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)