|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is La Guardia?
(a) A teacher,
(b) A mayor.
(c) A judge.
(d) A writer.
2. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
(b) A new president.
(d) A legacy.
3. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
(a) He has no manners.
(b) He killed a black soldier in the Flanders Field.
(c) He doesn't drink scotch.
(d) He hit a woman.
4. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
(a) Who the last ten presidents were.
(b) What happened to JFK.
(c) The future.
(d) Whether change happens fast or slow.
5. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
6. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
(b) Black and white.
(d) Purple and green.
7. What happens to the teacher at the end of "The Gallows"?
(a) He receives several awards.
(b) The town shoots him.
(c) The town hangs him.
(d) He marries.
8. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(a) The lake.
(b) The temple.
(d) The city square.
9. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Sam Wheat.
(c) Frederick Douglas.
(d) Patrick Henry.
10. What do the Indians in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake" do to the white man?
(a) Torture him.
(b) Share a peace pipe.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Invite him to dinner.
11. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
(a) Bok Choy.
(b) Wilfred Scott.
(c) W.E.B. Dubois.
(d) Madame Chiang.
12. What is the town logo in "The Town of Fathers"?
(a) "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People."
(b) "If you lived here you would be home by now."
(c) "Where beauty is just."
(d) "Freedom and Justice for all."
13. Who meets at Versailles?
(a) Woodrow Wilson.
(b) President Obama.
(c) Louis XVI.
(d) June Cleaver.
14. Where did the one sharecropper travel in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
15. What emotion does the narrator of "Babylon" express?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
2. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
3. What is the poem "Vesuvius" about?
4. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
5. What does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" chant about?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)