|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
(a) A garage.
(b) A yard.
(c) A house.
(d) A school.
2. How do the black men respond to the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
(a) They kick him.
(b) They hate him.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) They fear him.
3. What Indian tribe tied up the man in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
4. What crash does "Larghetto" assert black men were not involved in?
(c) Stock market.
5. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
6. What does love equal in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
7. Who meets in the sanctuary in "The Triumph Aster"?
(a) North and South.
(b) A man and woman.
(c) East and West.
8. According to the poet of "The Traitor to France," what is a traitor?
(a) A hero.
(b) A smart person.
(c) A loser.
(d) A thief.
9. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" compare shifting too?
(b) Eating soup.
(c) Riding a horse.
(d) Riding a bike.
10. What is Frederick Douglas famous for being?
(a) A painter.
(b) A musician.
(c) An abolitionist.
(d) A doctor.
11. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
(a) He doesn't drink scotch.
(b) He has no manners.
(c) He hit a woman.
(d) He killed a black soldier in the Flanders Field.
12. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
(a) W.E.B. Dubois.
(b) Madame Chiang.
(c) Bok Choy.
(d) Wilfred Scott.
13. How does the poet describe the mongrel in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
14. According to "A Song for Myself," what can one find in death?
15. Why does the scientist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(c) No one knows.
(d) Reproduction in the animal and plant kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
2. What is La Guardia's ethnic background?
3. What is tied to the rattlesnakes tail in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
4. In the poem "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what color is the man's dyed hair?
5. Who is La Guardia?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)