|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" compare shifting too?
(b) Eating soup.
(c) Riding a horse.
(d) Riding a bike.
2. Who does the man fight for in "The Furlough"?
(a) His fellow soldiers.
(b) Hi family.
(c) His friend.
(d) His lover.
3. What industries does the poet describe in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Cotton and oil.
(b) Cars and trucks.
(c) Hammers and cash registers.
(d) Steam train and tractor.
4. Why does the scientist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(b) No one knows.
(d) Reproduction in the animal and plant kingdom.
5. What did slaves do on slaves ships in "Lento Grave"?
(a) Wrote letters.
(c) Wrote books.
6. What sounds does the poet hear in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) The sounds of industry.
(b) Bells and whistles.
(c) Cats and dogs.
(d) The sounds of revolution.
7. How many historic places does Tolson plan to rendezvous at?
8. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
(a) A house.
(b) A garage.
(c) A yard.
(d) A school.
9. What does a teacher teach his students in "The Gallows"?
10. What does the poet think of Crispus Attucks?
(a) He is a bad person.
(b) He is a hero.
(c) He is a good person.
(d) He does not like him.
11. How does the poet describe Michael in "Old Man Michael"?
12. What happens to the teacher at the end of "The Gallows"?
(a) He marries.
(b) The town shoots him.
(c) The town hangs him.
(d) He receives several awards.
13. Who does the farmer in "Old Man Michael" blame for his bad crops?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) The workers.
(d) The weather.
14. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(a) The temple.
(c) The city square.
(d) The lake.
15. What does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" chant about?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the skull the mountain climber finds belong to?
2. What concept does the poem "Tempo Primo" discuss?
3. What act of nature does the oak tree face in "A Scholar Looks at an Oak"?
4. What happens to men who live bad lives and have bad souls in "A Song for Myself"?
5. What does the poet discuss in "A Song for Myself"?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)