|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can bad men not escape according to "A Song for Myself"?
(b) The police.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) Their conscience.
2. How does the economist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(a) Wealth and poverty.
(c) The stock market.
3. Where does Tolson repeat the same stanzas of the poem "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) The beginning and end.
(b) The begining and middle.
(c) The middle and end.
4. What concept does the poem "Tempo Primo" discuss?
(a) Education in America.
(b) The new black man.
(c) Future versus past.
(d) The harlem pride.
5. What is the name of an historic place Tolson visits in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
(b) Eiffel tower.
(c) Empire State Building.
6. What warnings did the man see while climbing the mountain?
7. Who is La Guardia?
(a) A mayor.
(b) A writer.
(c) A teacher,
(d) A judge.
8. What happens to men who live bad lives and have bad souls in "A Song for Myself"?
(a) They are hated.
(b) They are condemned.
(c) The are forgiven.
(d) They lose their money.
9. How might one view America after reading "Rendezvous With America"?
(c) Melting pot.
10. How do the black men respond to the farmer in "Old Man Michael"?
(a) They fear him.
(b) They hate him.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) They kick him.
11. In the poem "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what color is the man's dyed hair?
12. Who is Stokowski?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A painter.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A composer.
13. Who is the object in "Damascus Bride" fit for?
(a) A queen.
(b) A prince.
(c) A sultan.
(d) A princess.
14. What crash does "Larghetto" assert black men were not involved in?
(a) Stock market.
15. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
(b) A legacy.
(c) A new president.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolson say forgetting is akin to in "Andante Sostenuto"?
2. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
3. What does the poet of "Rendezvous With America" claim America will face?
4. In "Larghetto," what has the black man not contributed to?
5. What does the Malay wear in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)