|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) Cold and snowy.
(c) Thunder and lightening.
2. What does the poem "The Triumph Aster" hope for?
(a) Economic success.
(b) A better world.
3. What hurts the farmer's feet in "Old Man Michael"?
(b) His shoes.
(d) The roots.
4. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(b) The city square.
(c) The temple.
(d) The lake.
5. What is La Guardia's ethnic background?
6. What is the poem "Vesuvius" about?
(a) A volcano.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A Greek god.
(d) A mountain.
7. Why does the scientist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(b) Reproduction in the animal and plant kingdom.
(d) No one knows.
8. According to the poet of "The Traitor to France," what is a traitor?
(a) A thief.
(b) A hero.
(c) A loser.
(d) A smart person.
9. How might one view America after reading "Rendezvous With America"?
(c) Melting pot.
10. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
(a) Madame Chiang.
(b) Bok Choy.
(c) W.E.B. Dubois.
(d) Wilfred Scott.
11. How does the economist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(a) Wealth and poverty.
(b) The stock market.
12. Who does the farmer in "Old Man Michael" blame for his bad crops?
(b) His ex-wife.
(c) The weather.
(d) The workers.
13. Who is Stokowski?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A composer.
(d) A painter.
14. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
(a) Black and white.
(c) Purple and green.
15. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" compare shifting too?
(a) Riding a bike.
(b) Riding a horse.
(d) Eating soup.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tolson hope for in the poem "A Song for Myself"?
2. How does the poet describe the people that flock to America in "Rendezvous With America"?
3. What does love equal in "If You Should Lie to Me"?
4. In the poem "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what color is the man's dyed hair?
5. What president is mentioned in "The Dictionary of the Wolf"?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)