|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
2. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
(b) A new president.
(c) A legacy.
3. What does the poet of "Rendezvous With America" claim America will face?
(c) A war with Russia.
(d) Great Wealth.
4. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
5. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
(b) Ku Klux Klan and anti-Semites.
(c) Republicans and Democrats.
6. What president is mentioned in "The Dictionary of the Wolf"?
7. What can bad men not escape according to "A Song for Myself"?
(b) The police.
(c) Their conscience.
(d) The afterlife.
8. What happens to the teacher at the end of "The Gallows"?
(a) He marries.
(b) The town shoots him.
(c) The town hangs him.
(d) He receives several awards.
9. In "If You Should Lie to Me," who is the narrator speaking to?
(a) His son.
(b) His mother.
(c) His lover.
(d) His brother.
10. How does the poet describe the people that flock to America in "Rendezvous With America"?
11. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
(a) He doesn't drink scotch.
(b) He has no manners.
(c) He killed a black soldier in the Flanders Field.
(d) He hit a woman.
12. What does the Malay wear in "The Blindness of Scorn"?
(a) A dress.
(b) A loin cloth.
(c) A robe.
(d) A suit.
13. What crash does "Larghetto" assert black men were not involved in?
(b) Stock market.
14. What concept does the poem "Tempo Primo" discuss?
(a) The new black man.
(b) Future versus past.
(c) Education in America.
(d) The harlem pride.
15. Who is Stokowski?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A painter.
(d) A composer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Old House," whose ghost is not welcome?
2. Who meets at Versailles?
3. What Indian tribe tied up the man in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
4. What did slaves do on slaves ships in "Lento Grave"?
5. Where does Tolson repeat the same stanzas of the poem "The Mountain Climber"?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)