|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the townspeople become interested in during the poem "The Street Called Straight"?
2. In "Tempo Primo," what black heroes are mentioned?
(a) Justice Clarence Thomas.
(b) Harriet Tubman.
(c) Jesse Jackson.
(d) President Obama.
3. What does a teacher teach his students in "The Gallows"?
4. What is La Guardia's ethnic background?
5. What question does Tolson ask in "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) Why the moon never shines on the mountain.
(b) How long it takes to climb a mountain.
(c) Why the climber risks his life.
(d) Why the climber quits his job.
6. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
(b) Republicans and Democrats.
(d) Ku Klux Klan and anti-Semites.
7. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
(a) He doesn't drink scotch.
(b) He has no manners.
(c) He killed a black soldier in the Flanders Field.
(d) He hit a woman.
8. Where did the one sharecropper travel in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
9. What is the town logo in "The Town of Fathers"?
(a) "Freedom and Justice for all."
(b) "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People."
(c) "Where beauty is just."
(d) "If you lived here you would be home by now."
10. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(b) Thunder and lightening.
(c) Cold and snowy.
11. In "When Great Dogs Fight" what does the mongrel steal at the end of the poem?
(a) A slice of bread.
(b) A bone.
(c) A toy.
(d) A steak.
12. What do the Indians in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake" do to the white man?
(a) Share a peace pipe.
(b) Torture him.
(c) Invite him to dinner.
(d) Shoot him.
13. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" compare shifting too?
(b) Eating soup.
(c) Riding a bike.
(d) Riding a horse.
14. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" tell the narrator?
(a) Boats are out of fashion.
(b) Motercycles are dangerous.
(c) His car needs gas.
(d) He shifts too aggressively
15. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
(a) Through tragedy.
(c) Through love.
(d) By code.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lin Yutang?
2. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
3. What sounds does the poet hear in "Rendezvous With America"?
4. Who does Tolson compare the mountain climber's plight to?
5. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)