|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the white man tell the black man to forget in "Andante Sostenuto"?
2. What crash does "Larghetto" assert black men were not involved in?
(c) Stock market.
3. How long does Tolson say blacks were enslaved in "Andante Sostenuto"?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 100 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 300 years.
4. What is a Hamlet?
(a) A murder.
(b) A flower.
(c) A slice of meat.
(d) A ring.
5. How does the economist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(a) The stock market.
(b) Wealth and poverty.
6. What is the town logo in "The Town of Fathers"?
(a) "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People."
(b) "Where beauty is just."
(c) "Freedom and Justice for all."
(d) "If you lived here you would be home by now."
7. What color is the object the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" makes?
(a) Black and white.
(c) Purple and green.
8. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) Cold and snowy.
(c) Thunder and lightening.
9. In "Tempo Primo," what black heroes are mentioned?
(a) Jesse Jackson.
(b) Justice Clarence Thomas.
(c) President Obama.
(d) Harriet Tubman.
10. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
(a) Sam Wheat.
(b) Frederick Douglas.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Patrick Henry.
11. What sounds does the poet hear in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Cats and dogs.
(b) Bells and whistles.
(c) The sounds of industry.
(d) The sounds of revolution.
12. In "Larghetto," what has the black man not contributed to?
(c) The wrongdoings of white men.
13. How does the poet describe the mongrel in "When Great Dogs Fight"?
14. What do the people of Addis Ababa want to the bard to do?
(a) Berate them.
(b) Heal them.
(c) Empower them.
(d) Feed them.
15. What does the poet of "Rendezvous With America" claim America will face?
(a) Great Wealth.
(b) A war with Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frederick Douglas famous for being?
2. In "A Scholar Looks at an Oak," what happens to the tree's limbs?
3. What is tied to the rattlesnakes tail in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
4. What does the poet think of Crispus Attucks?
5. What do the Indians in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake" do to the white man?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)