|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake," what color is the man's dyed hair?
2. What does the narrator in "A Hamlet Rives Us" fail to acknowledge?
(a) His editor.
(b) His mother's divorce.
(c) His daughter's marriage.
(d) His friend's grief.
3. In "The Shift of Gears," what does the man fix?
(a) His bike.
(b) His boat.
(c) His motercycle.
(d) His car.
4. What does Tolson claim in "Dark Symphony" that the black man has less of then white men?
5. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
6. What sounds does the poet hear in "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Cats and dogs.
(b) The sounds of revolution.
(c) The sounds of industry.
(d) Bells and whistles.
7. Who are the bad men in America according to the poem "Rendezvous With America"?
(a) Republicans and Democrats.
(b) Ku Klux Klan and anti-Semites.
8. What does the poet think of Crispus Attucks?
(a) He is a good person.
(b) He is a hero.
(c) He does not like him.
(d) He is a bad person.
9. What is the town logo in "The Town of Fathers"?
(a) "Where beauty is just."
(b) "Freedom and Justice for all."
(c) "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People."
(d) "If you lived here you would be home by now."
10. What will black people overcome according to "Tempo di Marcia"?
(a) The new election.
(b) Jim Crow laws.
(c) The fire of 1812.
(d) The earthquake of 1920.
11. When does the town of fathers meet?
(a) June 4th.
(b) September 8th.
(c) July 4th.
(d) March 6th.
12. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(a) Cold and snowy.
(b) Thunder and lightening.
13. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
14. What can bad men not escape according to "A Song for Myself"?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) Their conscience.
(c) The police.
15. In "Tempo Primo," what black heroes are mentioned?
(a) President Obama.
(b) Jesse Jackson.
(c) Harriet Tubman.
(d) Justice Clarence Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the skull the mountain climber finds belong to?
2. Who are the white men mentioned in "Rendezvous With America"?
3. What should separate the rose and the thorn in "The Unknown Soldier"?
4. How does the economist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
5. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)