|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concept does the poem "Tempo Primo" discuss?
(a) Future versus past.
(b) Education in America.
(c) The new black man.
(d) The harlem pride.
2. Where does "The Shift of Gears" take place?
(a) A house.
(b) A yard.
(c) A garage.
(d) A school.
3. Who does the farmer in "Old Man Michael" blame for his bad crops?
(b) The workers.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) The weather.
4. How does the poet describe the people that flock to America in "Rendezvous With America"?
5. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(b) The temple.
(c) The city square.
(d) The lake.
6. Who does Tolson compare Crispus Attucks to?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Frederick Douglas.
(c) Sam Wheat.
(d) Patrick Henry.
7. What hurts the farmer's feet in "Old Man Michael"?
(c) His shoes.
(d) The roots.
8. In "The Shift of Gears," what does the man fix?
(a) His car.
(b) His bike.
(c) His motercycle.
(d) His boat.
9. What religion is Louis Brandeis?
10. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
11. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(c) Cold and snowy.
(d) Thunder and lightening.
12. What time period does "Lento Grave" discuss?
(b) Civil War.
(c) The 20's.
(d) Spanish America War.
13. What is the town logo in "The Town of Fathers"?
(a) "If you lived here you would be home by now."
(b) "Where beauty is just."
(c) "Freedom and Justice for all."
(d) "The Blackest Land / And The Whitest People."
14. What is the result in "Rendezvous With America," of the historic places the poet speaks of?
(a) A legacy.
(b) A new president.
15. What object does the craftsman in "Damascus Bride" make?
(a) A gun.
(b) A table.
(c) A basket.
(d) A blade.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Stokowski?
2. In the poem "Rendezvous With America," what is the population that arrives in America like?
3. According to "A Song for Myself," what can one find in death?
4. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
5. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)