|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the poem "Vesuvius" about?
(a) A volcano.
(b) A Greek god.
(c) A mountain.
(d) An earthquake.
2. What does the poet compare the foundation of America to in "Larghetto"?
(a) A desert.
(b) A stream.
(c) A house.
(d) An ocean.
3. In "The Blindness of Scorn," what does the Malay guide become caught in?
(a) A sink hole.
(b) Quick. Sand.
(c) A web.
(d) A snake's coil.
4. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
5. What warnings did the man see while climbing the mountain?
6. How does the poet assert in "Dark Symphony" that black slaves created a brotherhood?
(a) Through tragedy.
(c) By code.
(d) Through love.
7. Where are the bones of the man and snake left behind in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
(a) The desert.
(b) The field.
(c) The swamp.
(d) The forest.
8. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
(a) The future.
(b) Who the last ten presidents were.
(c) What happened to JFK.
(d) Whether change happens fast or slow.
9. In the poem "Old House," whose ghost is not welcome?
(a) Richard Wright.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Lazurus's mouse.
10. What is the weather like in "The Mountain Climber"?
(c) Cold and snowy.
(d) Thunder and lightening.
11. What does the black man want in "Tempo Primo"?
(b) A better tomorrow.
12. Who is "The Triumph Aster" dedicated to?
(a) Wilfred Scott.
(b) W.E.B. Dubois.
(c) Bok Choy.
(d) Madame Chiang.
13. What does Tolson claim in "Dark Symphony" that the black man has less of then white men?
14. Who does the skull the mountain climber finds belong to?
(a) A bear.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A previous climber.
(d) A cow.
15. What act of nature does the oak tree face in "A Scholar Looks at an Oak"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the workers in "The Shipwright" feel they are citizens of?
2. What does the poet think of Crispus Attucks?
3. What time period does "Lento Grave" discuss?
4. In "Tempo Primo," what black heroes are mentioned?
5. Who is Crispus Attucks?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)