|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the one sharecropper travel in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
2. What is the poem "Vesuvius" about?
(a) A Greek god.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A volcano.
(d) A mountain.
3. Who is Lin Yutang?
(a) A painter.
(b) A writer.
(c) A scientist.
(d) A boxer.
4. What does the poem "The Triumph Aster" hope for?
(a) Economic success.
(c) A better world.
5. How does the economist in "A Primer for Today" claim change occurs?
(c) Wealth and poverty.
(d) The stock market.
6. Who does the bard in "The Bard of Addis Ababa" call to?
7. Where do the hillmen think they should not build?
(a) The lake.
(b) The city square.
(d) The temple.
8. What hurts the farmer's feet in "Old Man Michael"?
(a) The roots.
(b) His shoes.
9. What do the wise people think of the hillmen's opinions in "Vesuvius"?
(a) They are wrong.
(b) The hillmen are jealous.
(c) There are no wise men in town.
(d) They are right.
10. What does the poet think of Crispus Attucks?
(a) He does not like him.
(b) He is a good person.
(c) He is a bad person.
(d) He is a hero.
11. In "The Shift of Gears," what does the man fix?
(a) His car.
(b) His boat.
(c) His bike.
(d) His motercycle.
12. In "When Great Dogs Fight" what does the mongrel steal at the end of the poem?
(a) A steak.
(b) A bone.
(c) A slice of bread.
(d) A toy.
13. Who is Louis Brandeis?
(a) A wrestler.
(b) A supreme court justice.
(c) A boxer.
(d) A doctor.
14. In "Larghetto," what has the black man not contributed to?
(c) The wrongdoings of white men.
15. What does the historian want to know in "A Primer for Today"?
(a) Whether change happens fast or slow.
(b) Who the last ten presidents were.
(c) The future.
(d) What happened to JFK.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might one view America after reading "Rendezvous With America"?
2. What does the mechanic in "The Shift of Gears" compare shifting too?
3. Why does the bartender judge the narrator in "An Ex-Judge at the Bar"?
4. What do the townspeople become interested in during the poem "The Street Called Straight"?
5. What is tied to the rattlesnakes tail in "The Ballad of the Rattlesnake"?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)