|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose administration was David Kennedy the Secretary of the Treasury?
2. What controversial action did the Rural Rehabilitation Division undertake in the 1930's?
3. What change to the ticket structure did the Schaffner Players make after the 1929 Crash?
4. In the 1930's W. Clement Stone made his money selling what?
5. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange dichotomy exists in Stanley Kell's interview in Honor and Humiliation?
2. According to Horace Cayton, why did black Americans not join the Communists en masse?
3. How did The Cradle Will Rock become a lightning rod of controversy?
4. Describe the incident with the Iowa Judge in The Father Is the Man?
5. What was the most controversial component of the New Deal?
6. What did Hiram Sherman do after The Cradle Will Rock?
7. According to Elizabeth Wood, how did public housing develop the stigma it has today?
8. How did Ray Wax's life disillusion him to the idea of strive-and-succeed?
9. How much power did coal companies have in the towns they inhabited?
10. What was Dr. Townsend's contribution to the Depression-era discourse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Great Depression was a period of time during which large organized movements sought to restructure American society. In a three part essay, discuss how several organized groups went about attempting the recreation of a country:
Part 1) What hole in the union movement did the CIO fill in the 1930's? What tactics did the unions use in the rust belt in order to organize industrial workers? What opposition did they face? How much success did the CIO achieve over the course of the Depression? How did its relationship with the AFL change in this time?
Part 2) How did the American Communist movement surge in popularity during the Hoover years, and how did events in Europe destroy much of its credibility? To what extent did Roosevelt's New Deal destroy its ability to accomplish its goals in the 1930's? What members did it lose after Roosevelt built his coalition?
Part 3) How were both the Catholic Worker and the Wobblies different from the unions and the Communists? What was each group's guiding philosophy? Did either one form a coalition during the Depression? What happened to them after the Depression?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Horatio Alger narrative and how the Great Depression forced individuals to reassess the legitimacy of it. Which interviewees in the text subscribed to the strive-and-succeed philosophy of Alger? Did any of them succeed? Of those who failed, what elements in the 1930's work environment proved incompatible with the rags-to-riches mythology? What did these people discover as a new philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the Appalachian mining communities' attempts to unionize. How was this group of workers facing Depression-style injustice before the Depression started? What type of power did companies wield in Appalachia, and how did they enforce this power? Discuss how normal tension between management and would-be unionizing broke into full war in the 1930's? What was the result?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)