Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prison where Scoop Lankford was held in the 1930's try to feed the inmates at the worst times?
2. As described in The Farmer Is the Man, how did a mob respond to a judge who was foreclosing on homes in Iowa?
3. What happened to Orrin Kelly after the incident with the Iowa judge?
4. According to Scoop Lankford, when did conditions finally improve in the prison?
5. In the 1930's W. Clement Stone made his money selling what?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the psychological effects that the joblessness of the Great Depression has on men in America. What do interviewees recall their fathers doing to pass time and feel useful? Why did men of this era refuse to take government relief and turn so often to alcohol instead? How was America's psychiatric profession unprepared to deal with the effects of joblessness on the population? What obvious causation were psychiatrists ignoring?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the Appalachian mining communities' attempts to unionize. How was this group of workers facing Depression-style injustice before the Depression started? What type of power did companies wield in Appalachia, and how did they enforce this power? Discuss how normal tension between management and would-be unionizing broke into full war in the 1930's? What was the result?
Essay Topic 3
The Roosevelt Administration took special care to ensure that arts professionals were employed in the period of the Great Depression. Write an essay about the changes in the performing arts during this period of history. How did the actors union gain strength at this time? What did traveling sketch troupes have to do to remain viable? To what extent did the theatre begin to tackle more current and controversial subjects? Which famous artists emerged from this crucible?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)