|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
2. What legendary artist of the twentieth century directed The Cradle Will Rock?
3. How did some states begin paying public school teachers in the 1930's?
4. What did Hiram Sherman do in The Cradle Will Rock?
5. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to James Farley, how did Roosevelt alienate members of his own administration?
2. In the Depression-era Midwest, how did corn prices lead to corn being burned and pigs being slaughtered?
3. Describe Harry Hartman's experiences repossessing belongings in the Depression.
4. What was Edward Burgess's experience of the 1930's?
5. How did The Cradle Will Rock become a lightning rod of controversy?
6. What role did Elsa Ponselle play in the forming of the Teacher's Union?
7. Who was Martin Dies?
8. Describe the incident with the Iowa Judge in The Father Is the Man?
9. Why does Myrna Loy think she never got to meet Roosevelt in person?
10. How much power did coal companies have in the towns they inhabited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Roosevelt Administration took special care to ensure that arts professionals were employed in the period of the Great Depression. Write an essay about the changes in the performing arts during this period of history. How did the actors union gain strength at this time? What did traveling sketch troupes have to do to remain viable? To what extent did the theatre begin to tackle more current and controversial subjects? Which famous artists emerged from this crucible?
Essay Topic 2
A recurring question in Hard Times is how America would handle another Depression, were one to occur. Write an essay on this question. What experiences in the 1930's inform the interviewees who answer a question regarding America's ability to handle hard times? How close do these people think the US came to collapse? Do they, by and large, think that America is stronger or weaker as a system and culture now?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the far left in America. What were its expectations when the stock market collapsed in 1929? Did it expect that the American capitalist system was completely defunct? How did events in Europe throughout the 1930's affect the coalition of far left groups in the United States? What occurred politically and economically in America that rendered the left toothless by the time World War II started?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)