|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the prison where Scoop Lankford was held in the 1930's try to feed the inmates at the worst times?
(c) Rotten sardines.
2. What did Hiram Sherman do in The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) He directed it.
(b) He wrote it.
(c) He was an actor.
(d) He was a stagehand.
3. What Depression-era event terrified social worker Eileen Barth?
(a) A union riot in Cleveland.
(b) An assassination attemp on FDR.
(c) A bomb threat at her office.
(d) A caseworker's murder.
4. What issue does Stanley Kell surprisingly support?
(a) Leaving Vietnam.
(b) George McGovern's campaign.
(c) Legalizing marijuana.
5. Why did a significant number of people flee public housing in 1949?
(a) The war increased income across the board.
(b) The units were integrated.
(c) The governement decreased funding to it.
(d) The units were found to be unsafely constructed.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in The Farmer Is the Man, how did a mob respond to a judge who was foreclosing on homes in Iowa?
2. What memory makes Elsa Ponselle laugh during her interview in Public Servant-The City?
3. What was different about a teachers' strike in the 1930's?
4. According to Fred Thompson, what did Wobblies constantly have to prove they were not?
5. What is the name of the sketch programs Neil Schaffner performed in troupes across the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Neil Schaffner's theatre troupe have to change their business model after the Crash 1929?
2. What was Edward Burgess's experience of the 1930's?
3. How were the prisons affected by the Depression?
4. How did Ray Wax's life disillusion him to the idea of strive-and-succeed?
5. What did Hiram Sherman do after The Cradle Will Rock?
6. How did Jack Kirkland become famous during the Depression?
7. According to James Farley, how did Roosevelt alienate members of his own administration?
8. According to Elizabeth Wood, how did public housing develop the stigma it has today?
9. Describe Harry Hartman's experiences repossessing belongings in the Depression.
10. What does Dr. Martin Bickham discover about the American drive to work through his relief work in the 1930's?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)