|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young man in the final interview of Arrests and Other Running Sores do for a living?
(a) Public defender.
(c) Repo man.
(d) Convenience store clerk.
2. How did some states begin paying public school teachers in the 1930's?
(a) With food.
(b) With Canadian money.
(c) With store vouchers.
(d) With IOU's.
3. What memory makes Elsa Ponselle laugh during her interview in Public Servant-The City?
(a) Her family accusing her of being a Bolshevik.
(b) The fear millionaires had during the Depression.
(c) The propaganda posters the government put out.
(d) The debates that led to the creation of the teacher's union.
4. What does Alf Landon say he disliked about Roosevelt's New Deal?
(a) The Stalinist collectivism.
(b) Almost nothing.
(c) The nationalization of industry.
(d) Its centralization of executive power.
5. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma Tiller say in her interview is as important as money?
2. What shocking information did General Smedley Butler report to Congress in the 1930's?
3. What does Edward Burgess say he never saw in Chicago in the 1930's?
4. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
5. What legendary artist of the twentieth century directed The Cradle Will Rock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What safety concerns pervaded mines in the 1930's?
2. Who was Martin Dies?
3. What role did Elsa Ponselle play in the forming of the Teacher's Union?
4. What strange dichotomy exists in Stanley Kell's interview in Honor and Humiliation?
5. What did Hiram Sherman do after The Cradle Will Rock?
6. According to Elizabeth Wood, how did public housing develop the stigma it has today?
7. What strange and dangerous episode regarding congressional testimony does C. Wright Patman make?
8. How did The Cradle Will Rock become a lightning rod of controversy?
9. Why does Myrna Loy think she never got to meet Roosevelt in person?
10. How did Wilbur Kane experience the Joe Louis fight against Max Schmeling?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)