|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event discussed earlier in the book does Harry Norgard think was destructive to society?
(a) The Chicago teachers' strike.
(b) The Bank Holiday.
(c) The Cradle Will Rock premiere.
(d) The Detroit sit-in.
2. What was Roosevelt trying to prevent with the Bank Holiday?
(a) The decimation of people's savings.
(b) The emigration of bank owners.
(c) A run on failing banks.
(d) Buyouts by large conglomerate banks.
3. What does Edward Burgess say he never saw in Chicago in the 1930's?
(a) Apple carts.
(b) Bread lines.
(c) Union strikes.
(d) Speakeasy raids.
4. What type of protest does Horace Cayton discuss in Honor and Humiliation?
5. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) Marc Blitzstein.
(b) John Houseman.
(c) Hiram Sherman.
(d) George Gershwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
2. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
3. What did Hiram Sherman do in The Cradle Will Rock?
4. With what assertion does David Kennedy say he disagrees regarding Roosevelt?
5. Who was the head of the red-baiting committee that investigated New Deal administrators in the 1930's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much power did coal companies have in the towns they inhabited?
2. How does Christopher Lasch explain the possibility of a socialist revolt in the 1930's?
3. What was Edward Burgess's experience of the 1930's?
4. What strange and dangerous episode regarding congressional testimony does C. Wright Patman make?
5. What humiliation did Ward James face seeking relief in the 1930's?
6. What strange dichotomy exists in Stanley Kell's interview in Honor and Humiliation?
7. What was the most controversial component of the New Deal?
8. Why does Myrna Loy think she never got to meet Roosevelt in person?
9. According to James Farley, how did Roosevelt alienate members of his own administration?
10. Who was Martin Dies?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)