|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
(a) Secretary of Transportation and Chief of Staff.
(b) Secretary of the Interior and English Ambassador.
(c) Secretary of Agriculture and Vice President.
(d) Secretary of Commerce and Attorney General.
2. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
(b) Relief fraud.
(c) Employer intimidation.
(d) Health violations.
3. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
(b) His father.
4. In what country did William Patterson study economics for a time?
(b) The USSR.
5. What legendary artist of the twentieth century directed The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) John Gielgud.
(b) Lee Strasburg.
(c) Orson Welles.
(d) Lawrence Olivier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accusation was made against Dr. Francis Townsend in his time?
2. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what was the state of coal miners before the Depression?
3. Why did Ray Wax flee his parents home?
4. What controversial action did the Rural Rehabilitation Division undertake in the 1930's?
5. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Dr. Townsend's contribution to the Depression-era discourse?
2. According to James Farley, how did Roosevelt alienate members of his own administration?
3. What was Edward Burgess's experience of the 1930's?
4. How much power did coal companies have in the towns they inhabited?
5. How did Jack Kirkland become famous during the Depression?
6. Describe the incident with the Iowa Judge in The Father Is the Man?
7. How did The Cradle Will Rock become a lightning rod of controversy?
8. How does Max Shachtman explain the decline of Communism's popularity in America?
9. Describe Harry Hartman's experiences repossessing belongings in the Depression.
10. How does Alf Landon recall his 1936 campaign against Roosevelt in the book?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)