|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Roosevelt trying to prevent with the Bank Holiday?
(a) A run on failing banks.
(b) The emigration of bank owners.
(c) Buyouts by large conglomerate banks.
(d) The decimation of people's savings.
2. What moment excited Wilbur Kane to the point of mocking his German neighbors?
(a) Jesse Owens' win in the Berlin Olympics.
(b) The death of Adolf Hitler.
(c) America entering the War.
(d) Joe Louis's victory over Schmeling.
3. What controversial action did the Rural Rehabilitation Division undertake in the 1930's?
(a) It slaughtered thousands of cows.
(b) It tried to buy out General Mills.
(c) It combined farms under a federal banner.
(d) It nationalized the dairy industry.
4. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
(a) The poor public servant.
(c) King Frank.
(d) The indispensible man.
5. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
(a) Town hall meetings.
(b) Progressive political rallies.
(c) UMW locals.
(d) Church raisings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Max R. Naiman and his worker's rights clients end up sleeping after he got them acquitted?
2. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
3. Besides attempting to change the makeup of the Supreme Court, what Roosevelt decision does James Farley say alienated people in the administration?
4. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
5. According to Scoop Lankford, when did conditions finally improve in the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Elsa Ponselle play in the forming of the Teacher's Union?
2. According to Horace Cayton, why did black Americans not join the Communists en masse?
3. In the Depression-era Midwest, how did corn prices lead to corn being burned and pigs being slaughtered?
4. Who was Martin Dies?
5. Describe Harry Hartman's experiences repossessing belongings in the Depression.
6. Why does Myrna Loy think she never got to meet Roosevelt in person?
7. What was the most controversial component of the New Deal?
8. What safety concerns pervaded mines in the 1930's?
9. What strange dichotomy exists in Stanley Kell's interview in Honor and Humiliation?
10. How did Jack Kirkland become famous during the Depression?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)