|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Huey Long not run for president in 1936?
(a) He was embroiled in scandals.
(b) He became Roosevelt's Chief of Staff.
(c) He chose to retire.
(d) He was assassinated.
2. Why did Ray Wax flee his parents home?
(a) They were stealing his money.
(b) They kicked him out for his Communist beliefs.
(c) He eloped with a girl.
(d) He wanted to move to New York City.
3. How does Dr. Martin Bickham recommend his employers help struggling Americans during the Depression?
(a) Organize bread lines.
(b) Contribute to governmental efforts.
(c) Develop work programs.
(d) Issue relief through churches.
4. Dr. Francis Townsend's ideas eventually became the groundwork for what?
(a) The Civil Rights Movement.
(c) Social Security.
(d) The New Deal.
5. What psychiatric complaints did Dr. Nathan Ackerman's patients most often bring to him?
(a) Agoraphobia and narcolepsy.
(b) Anxiety and chronic sadness.
(c) Malaise and suicidal thoughts.
(d) Tremors and nausea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy Green say he was unaffected by the Depression?
2. Besides attempting to change the makeup of the Supreme Court, what Roosevelt decision does James Farley say alienated people in the administration?
3. What writer did Ray Wax take as his model during the Depression?
4. What was different about a teachers' strike in the 1930's?
5. What controversial action did the Rural Rehabilitation Division undertake in the 1930's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Myrna Loy think she never got to meet Roosevelt in person?
2. What did Hiram Sherman do after The Cradle Will Rock?
3. Describe the incident with the Iowa Judge in The Father Is the Man?
4. How did Neil Schaffner's theatre troupe have to change their business model after the Crash 1929?
5. How did Ray Wax's life disillusion him to the idea of strive-and-succeed?
6. According to Elizabeth Wood, how did public housing develop the stigma it has today?
7. According to Horace Cayton, why did black Americans not join the Communists en masse?
8. In the Depression-era Midwest, how did corn prices lead to corn being burned and pigs being slaughtered?
9. According to James Farley, how did Roosevelt alienate members of his own administration?
10. What role did Elsa Ponselle play in the forming of the Teacher's Union?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)