|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking information did General Smedley Butler report to Congress in the 1930's?
(a) Hoover was absent for most meetings regarding the Depression.
(b) A group of right wing military men attempted a coup.
(c) Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time.
(d) There were Communists in the Roosevelt administration.
2. What type of protest does Horace Cayton discuss in Honor and Humiliation?
3. What popular American novel did Jack Kirkland adapt into a successful play?
(a) Tender is the Night.
(b) Tobacco Road.
(c) Of Mice and Men.
(d) The Jungle.
4. What event discussed earlier in the book does Harry Norgard think was destructive to society?
(a) The Detroit sit-in.
(b) The Cradle Will Rock premiere.
(c) The Chicago teachers' strike.
(d) The Bank Holiday.
5. To whom did Myrna Loy send her infamous wire?
(a) A Czech dissident.
(d) A Soviet defector.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward Burgess say he never saw in Chicago in the 1930's?
2. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
3. Why was Ward James fired from his job in the 1930's?
4. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
5. What happened to Orrin Kelly after the incident with the Iowa judge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Dr. Townsend's contribution to the Depression-era discourse?
2. How did Wilbur Kane experience the Joe Louis fight against Max Schmeling?
3. How does Christopher Lasch explain the possibility of a socialist revolt in the 1930's?
4. How did Jack Kirkland become famous during the Depression?
5. What humiliation did Ward James face seeking relief in the 1930's?
6. What role did Elsa Ponselle play in the forming of the Teacher's Union?
7. What did Hiram Sherman do after The Cradle Will Rock?
8. What strange dichotomy exists in Stanley Kell's interview in Honor and Humiliation?
9. How did Neil Schaffner's theatre troupe have to change their business model after the Crash 1929?
10. In the Depression-era Midwest, how did corn prices lead to corn being burned and pigs being slaughtered?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)