|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer did Ray Wax take as his model during the Depression?
(a) Upton Sinclair.
(b) John Steinbeck.
(c) Horatio Alger.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
2. What event discussed earlier in the book does Harry Norgard think was destructive to society?
(a) The Cradle Will Rock premiere.
(b) The Bank Holiday.
(c) The Chicago teachers' strike.
(d) The Detroit sit-in.
3. What shocking information did General Smedley Butler report to Congress in the 1930's?
(a) Hoover was absent for most meetings regarding the Depression.
(b) A group of right wing military men attempted a coup.
(c) There were Communists in the Roosevelt administration.
(d) Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time.
4. Who was the head of the red-baiting committee that investigated New Deal administrators in the 1930's?
(a) Stanley Fish.
(b) Joseph McCarthy.
(c) C. Wright Patman.
(d) Martin Dies.
5. What issue does Stanley Kell surprisingly support?
(a) Leaving Vietnam.
(b) George McGovern's campaign.
(d) Legalizing marijuana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prison where Scoop Lankford was held in the 1930's try to feed the inmates at the worst times?
2. What does Wilbur Kane still dislike about Roosevelt?
3. As described in The Farmer Is the Man, how did a mob respond to a judge who was foreclosing on homes in Iowa?
4. What was different about a teachers' strike in the 1930's?
5. What is the name of the sketch programs Neil Schaffner performed in troupes across the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange and dangerous episode regarding congressional testimony does C. Wright Patman make?
2. How were the prisons affected by the Depression?
3. In the Depression-era Midwest, how did corn prices lead to corn being burned and pigs being slaughtered?
4. How did Wilbur Kane experience the Joe Louis fight against Max Schmeling?
5. What role did Elsa Ponselle play in the forming of the Teacher's Union?
6. What humiliation did Ward James face seeking relief in the 1930's?
7. How did Jack Kirkland become famous during the Depression?
8. According to James Farley, how did Roosevelt alienate members of his own administration?
9. How did Neil Schaffner's theatre troupe have to change their business model after the Crash 1929?
10. According to Elizabeth Wood, how did public housing develop the stigma it has today?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)