|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the prison where Scoop Lankford was held in the 1930's try to feed the inmates at the worst times?
(b) Rotten sardines.
2. Aaron Barkham informs the reader of what strange practice of certain clans within the Appalachian Ku Klux Klan?
(a) They had bake sales.
(b) They spoke Gaelic to each other.
(c) They were entirely composed of women.
(d) They had black members.
3. What Depression-era event terrified social worker Eileen Barth?
(a) A caseworker's murder.
(b) An assassination attemp on FDR.
(c) A bomb threat at her office.
(d) A union riot in Cleveland.
4. Why was Ward James fired from his job in the 1930's?
(b) Drinking on the job.
(c) Lack of money to pay him.
(d) Union activity.
5. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
(a) To keep Japanese Americans out of it.
(b) To keep an eye out for union organizers.
(c) To stop mobs threatening to burn it down.
(d) To ensure that blacks were being fairly served.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
2. In the 1930's W. Clement Stone made his money selling what?
3. What moment excited Wilbur Kane to the point of mocking his German neighbors?
4. What does the young man in the final interview of Arrests and Other Running Sores do for a living?
5. How were the actors able to perform the opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did The Cradle Will Rock become a lightning rod of controversy?
2. How did Jack Kirkland become famous during the Depression?
3. How did Neil Schaffner's theatre troupe have to change their business model after the Crash 1929?
4. How did Wilbur Kane experience the Joe Louis fight against Max Schmeling?
5. What did Hiram Sherman do after The Cradle Will Rock?
6. Describe the incident with the Iowa Judge in The Father Is the Man?
7. Describe Harry Hartman's experiences repossessing belongings in the Depression.
8. How much power did coal companies have in the towns they inhabited?
9. What strange and dangerous episode regarding congressional testimony does C. Wright Patman make?
10. How were the prisons affected by the Depression?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)