|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
(a) Hoover's administration was riddled with communists.
(b) Capitalism seemed doomed.
(c) The US seemed set to ally with the USSR.
(d) World War I destabilized many western democracies.
2. What is the name of the sketch programs Neil Schaffner performed in troupes across the country?
(b) Penny entertainments.
3. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
(a) The indispensible man.
(c) The poor public servant.
(d) King Frank.
4. According to Scoop Lankford, when did conditions finally improve in the prison?
(a) When the WPA started.
(b) When the rioting started.
(c) When Truman took office.
(d) When the war started.
5. With what assertion does David Kennedy say he disagrees regarding Roosevelt?
(a) He bought his elections.
(b) His programs stemmed suffering.
(c) He saved America.
(d) He was a Communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma Tiller say in her interview is as important as money?
2. What was the Actors Union's response to The Cradle Will Rock?
3. Why did Huey Long not run for president in 1936?
4. Why does Billy Green say he was unaffected by the Depression?
5. According to Fred Thompson, what did Wobblies constantly have to prove they were not?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange dichotomy exists in Stanley Kell's interview in Honor and Humiliation?
2. How were the prisons affected by the Depression?
3. How did Ray Wax's life disillusion him to the idea of strive-and-succeed?
4. What humiliation did Ward James face seeking relief in the 1930's?
5. How does Alf Landon recall his 1936 campaign against Roosevelt in the book?
6. How did Neil Schaffner's theatre troupe have to change their business model after the Crash 1929?
7. How does Max Shachtman explain the decline of Communism's popularity in America?
8. In the Depression-era Midwest, how did corn prices lead to corn being burned and pigs being slaughtered?
9. What was Edward Burgess's experience of the 1930's?
10. What safety concerns pervaded mines in the 1930's?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)