|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking information did General Smedley Butler report to Congress in the 1930's?
(a) There were Communists in the Roosevelt administration.
(b) Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time.
(c) A group of right wing military men attempted a coup.
(d) Hoover was absent for most meetings regarding the Depression.
2. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
(a) When Roosevelt died.
(b) When America entered World War II.
(c) The seventies.
(d) When the stock market crashed.
3. In the 1930's W. Clement Stone made his money selling what?
(a) Life insurance.
(d) Wholesale grain feed.
4. What psychiatric complaints did Dr. Nathan Ackerman's patients most often bring to him?
(a) Agoraphobia and narcolepsy.
(b) Malaise and suicidal thoughts.
(c) Anxiety and chronic sadness.
(d) Tremors and nausea.
5. Besides attempting to change the makeup of the Supreme Court, what Roosevelt decision does James Farley say alienated people in the administration?
(a) Running for a third term.
(b) Not revealing his health problems to the public.
(c) Creating the NRA.
(d) Entering World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What public figure publicly raved about Jack Kirkland's play?
2. To whom did Myrna Loy send her infamous wire?
3. How was public housing viewed differently by the public in the 1930's than it is today?
4. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
5. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to James Farley, how did Roosevelt alienate members of his own administration?
2. In the Depression-era Midwest, how did corn prices lead to corn being burned and pigs being slaughtered?
3. According to Elizabeth Wood, how did public housing develop the stigma it has today?
4. What was the most controversial component of the New Deal?
5. How were the prisons affected by the Depression?
6. What did Hiram Sherman do after The Cradle Will Rock?
7. According to Horace Cayton, why did black Americans not join the Communists en masse?
8. What was Dr. Townsend's contribution to the Depression-era discourse?
9. What humiliation did Ward James face seeking relief in the 1930's?
10. Why does Myrna Loy think she never got to meet Roosevelt in person?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)