|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
(a) The indispensible man.
(c) The poor public servant.
(d) King Frank.
2. Why was Hiram Sherman removed from Equity leadership?
(a) He quit acting.
(b) He voted to disband the union.
(c) He was branded a communist.
(d) He performed The Cradle Will Rock.
3. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) John Houseman.
(b) George Gershwin.
(c) Hiram Sherman.
(d) Marc Blitzstein.
4. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
(d) His father.
5. How was public housing viewed differently by the public in the 1930's than it is today?
(a) It was despised by the wealthy.
(b) It was open to people of all income brackets.
(c) It was not thoroughly understood.
(d) It was thought nicer than private housing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What legendary artist of the twentieth century directed The Cradle Will Rock?
2. At the end of his interview, Horace Cayton discusses why black Americans never joined what group en masse?
3. What memory makes Elsa Ponselle laugh during her interview in Public Servant-The City?
4. What shocking information did General Smedley Butler report to Congress in the 1930's?
5. In what country did William Patterson study economics for a time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What safety concerns pervaded mines in the 1930's?
2. According to James Farley, how did Roosevelt alienate members of his own administration?
3. What was the most controversial component of the New Deal?
4. What was Edward Burgess's experience of the 1930's?
5. What humiliation did Ward James face seeking relief in the 1930's?
6. How did The Cradle Will Rock become a lightning rod of controversy?
7. What does Dr. Martin Bickham discover about the American drive to work through his relief work in the 1930's?
8. How were the prisons affected by the Depression?
9. According to Elizabeth Wood, how did public housing develop the stigma it has today?
10. How did Wilbur Kane experience the Joe Louis fight against Max Schmeling?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)