|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alf Landon say he disliked about Roosevelt's New Deal?
(a) Its centralization of executive power.
(b) The nationalization of industry.
(c) Almost nothing.
(d) The Stalinist collectivism.
2. What writer did Ray Wax take as his model during the Depression?
(a) Horatio Alger.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Upton Sinclair.
(d) John Steinbeck.
3. How were the actors able to perform the opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) They performed it in Spanish.
(b) They performed from the audience.
(c) They recorded a performance and broadcast it.
(d) They performed on the street.
4. What popular American novel did Jack Kirkland adapt into a successful play?
(a) Of Mice and Men.
(b) Tobacco Road.
(c) Tender is the Night.
(d) The Jungle.
5. What shocking information did General Smedley Butler report to Congress in the 1930's?
(a) Hoover was absent for most meetings regarding the Depression.
(b) A group of right wing military men attempted a coup.
(c) There were Communists in the Roosevelt administration.
(d) Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Dorothea Lange's profession?
2. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
3. Why does Billy Green say he was unaffected by the Depression?
4. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
5. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harry Hartman's experiences repossessing belongings in the Depression.
2. What did Hiram Sherman do after The Cradle Will Rock?
3. Who was Martin Dies?
4. What was Edward Burgess's experience of the 1930's?
5. What humiliation did Ward James face seeking relief in the 1930's?
6. Why does Myrna Loy think she never got to meet Roosevelt in person?
7. What was the most controversial component of the New Deal?
8. What strange dichotomy exists in Stanley Kell's interview in Honor and Humiliation?
9. What safety concerns pervaded mines in the 1930's?
10. How did Neil Schaffner's theatre troupe have to change their business model after the Crash 1929?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)