|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A private club.
(b) A rigged casino.
(c) A candy store.
(d) A Roman orgy.
2. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
3. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They worked for a newspaper.
(b) They ran a hotel.
(c) They worked a farm.
(d) They were actuaries.
4. At the end of High Life, what does Judy blame for the Depression?
5. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(a) The New Republic.
(c) Literary Digest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
2. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
3. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
4. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
5. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Slim Collier's discussion of her father say about the effect unemployment has on men?
2. Why was psychoanalysis largely ineffective in the Depression?
3. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
4. How do interviewees who were young in the 1930's realize something bad happened in the country?
5. What does Peggy Terry have to say about race and the Depression?
6. How did the effects of the Crash become apparent in Terkel's parents' business?
7. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
8. How did the Bonus March end?
9. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
10. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)