|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
(a) John Kennedy.
(b) George Patton.
(c) Curtis LeMay.
(d) Dwight Eisenhower.
2. In his interview, Doc Graham says that in the 1930's he was the country's best what?
(a) Con man.
(c) Pitch man.
(d) Door-to-door salesman.
3. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
(a) Brussel sprouts.
(b) Pig's feet.
4. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(a) Literary Digest.
(c) The New Republic.
5. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
(a) A military post.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A boarding school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
2. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
3. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
4. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
5. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Bonus March?
2. How does Terkel explain his purposes in writing Hard Times?
3. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
4. What does Peggy Terry have to say about race and the Depression?
5. How did William Benton make his fortune?
6. How did the jazz community take care of its own in the Depression?
7. How did Yip Harburg find his way to making music?
8. How did hobos get by during the Depression?
9. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
10. What does Slim Collier's discussion of her father say about the effect unemployment has on men?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)