|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He rode a boxcar.
(b) He hitched rides.
(c) He walked the whole way.
(d) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
2. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
(a) To make more money.
(b) To have influence.
(c) To give to the poor.
(d) To provide for one's family.
3. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
(a) They are all fired.
(b) The union is instituted.
(c) The porters are given a vote and they vote against the union.
(d) Only NIxon's train line is unionized.
4. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(b) It demeans her life experience.
(c) It ignores the political reality of the events.
(d) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
5. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(c) Her family.
(d) Her sense of patriotism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
2. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
3. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
4. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
5. In her interview, what does Diana Morgan say never interested her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do interviewees who were young in the 1930's realize something bad happened in the country?
2. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
3. How did the jazz community take care of its own in the Depression?
4. How was Dr. Lewis Andreas converted to union support in 1937?
5. What connection is made between fear and the Depression in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
6. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
7. How did the "southern belle" Diane Morgan become socially conscious in the 1930's?
8. What does Peggy Terry have to say about race and the Depression?
9. What is Doc Graham's attitude toward Franklin Roosevelt?
10. How did Mrs. Winston Roberts of Chicago survive the Depression?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)