|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did an industrialist ask Gordon Baxter to destroy for him?
(a) A cudgel used to kill a union leader.
(b) Anti-union pamphlets.
(c) Dossiers on his workers.
(d) A union card.
2. How did Phyllis Mortimer's brother feel about her working in the 1930's?
3. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
(a) Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) Curtis LeMay.
(c) John Kennedy.
(d) George Patton.
4. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
5. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
(b) Die work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
2. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
3. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
4. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
5. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Doc Graham's attitude toward Franklin Roosevelt?
2. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
3. How did the effects of the Crash become apparent in Terkel's parents' business?
4. How did the "southern belle" Diane Morgan become socially conscious in the 1930's?
5. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
6. How does Alf Landon recall his 1936 campaign against Roosevelt in the book?
7. How does Christopher Lasch explain the possibility of a socialist revolt in the 1930's?
8. Describe Harry Hartman's experiences repossessing belongings in the Depression.
9. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
10. What did Arthur Robinson experience after the Wall Street Crash of 1929?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)