|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
(a) The strike organizers.
(b) Hired thugs working for management.
(c) The series of vendors who provided food for strikers.
(d) The government officers who were on the company payroll.
2. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
(a) An entertainer.
(b) A priest.
(c) A poet.
(d) A labor organizer.
3. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
(a) All Republicans would be voted out.
(b) There would be widespread violence.
(c) We would rebound faster.
(d) The Soviets would take over.
4. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
(a) The porters are given a vote and they vote against the union.
(b) Only NIxon's train line is unionized.
(c) They are all fired.
(d) The union is instituted.
5. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(a) Her family.
(c) Her sense of patriotism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
2. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
3. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
4. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
5. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Bonus March?
2. Why is Jerome Zerbe's interview oddly disturbing?
3. How did blues and alcohol play a defining role in Terkel's college years?
4. How did the Bonus March end?
5. How did a small community develop around the Ford plant strike in Detroit?
6. How did Mrs. Winston Roberts of Chicago survive the Depression?
7. How does Terkel explain his purposes in writing Hard Times?
8. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
9. What does Peggy Terry have to say about race and the Depression?
10. Who is Bob La Follette?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)