|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(a) Emigrating to Mexico.
2. What does Diane personally think about the suffering of the 1930's in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
(a) She thinks America reaped what it sowed in the 1920's.
(b) She thinks it is exaggerated by those who experienced it.
(c) She thinks the suffering was focused disproportionately on minorities.
(d) She has no opinion.
3. According to Doc Graham, what was the only good thing Roosevelt did?
(a) Get Hoover out of office.
(b) Repeal Prohibition.
(c) Pass the WPO.
4. At the end of High Life, what does Judy blame for the Depression?
5. In what scant costume did Sally Rand enter the Beaux Arts ball?
(d) Lady Godiva.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
2. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
3. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
4. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
5. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did blues and alcohol play a defining role in Terkel's college years?
2. What is Doc Graham's attitude toward Franklin Roosevelt?
3. How did Mrs. Winston Roberts of Chicago survive the Depression?
4. What connection is made between fear and the Depression in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
5. How did the jazz community take care of its own in the Depression?
6. How did the Bonus March end?
7. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
8. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
9. How did hobos get by during the Depression?
10. Who is Bob La Follette?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)