|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What recollection does Diana Morgan have that draws tears from her?
(a) Losing her house.
(b) Her father's death.
(c) Having to stand on line for a job.
(d) Interviewing her former maid for relief.
2. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(c) Literary Digest.
(d) The New Republic.
3. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
(a) Door girl for a speakeasy.
(b) Chorus diver in movies.
(c) Switchboard operator for an advertising firm.
(d) Card girl at boxing matches.
4. In her interview, what does Diana Morgan say never interested her?
(a) Political struggle.
(c) The accumulation of money.
(d) The suffering of others.
5. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A rigged casino.
(b) A Roman orgy.
(c) A private club.
(d) A candy store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
2. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
3. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
4. What demagogic figure of the 1930's did Dawn McCullough despise?
5. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did blues and alcohol play a defining role in Terkel's college years?
2. What does Peggy Terry have to say about race and the Depression?
3. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
4. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
5. What was the purpose of the Bonus March?
6. How was Robin Langston's family affected by the Depression?
7. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
8. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
9. What is Doc Graham's attitude toward Franklin Roosevelt?
10. What does Slim Collier's discussion of her father say about the effect unemployment has on men?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)