|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Doc Graham, what was the only good thing Roosevelt did?
(a) Pass the WPO.
(c) Repeal Prohibition.
(d) Get Hoover out of office.
2. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
(a) Hardcore pornography.
(d) Celebrity photography.
3. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
(a) They were barely talked about.
(b) They were boogeymen.
(c) They were folk heroes.
(d) They were commodities to be sold.
4. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(d) Emigrating to Mexico.
5. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(a) Tear gas.
(b) Water cannon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
2. According to Dr. David J. Rossman, what did psychoanalysis not acknowledge regarding patient distress in the 1930's?
3. How did Phyllis Mortimer's brother feel about her working in the 1930's?
4. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
5. In her interview, what does Diana Morgan say never interested her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Arthur Robinson experience after the Wall Street Crash of 1929?
2. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
3. How did Yip Harburg find his way to making music?
4. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
5. How did the "southern belle" Diane Morgan become socially conscious in the 1930's?
6. How does Terkel explain his purposes in writing Hard Times?
7. How do interviewees who were young in the 1930's realize something bad happened in the country?
8. What is Doc Graham's attitude toward Franklin Roosevelt?
9. What connection is made between fear and the Depression in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
10. How did the effects of the Crash become apparent in Terkel's parents' business?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)