|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Dustbin salesman.
(b) Radio performer.
(c) Advertising copy editor.
(d) Circus booker.
2. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
(a) Violent removal of striking workers.
(b) Employer firings of unionizing workers.
(c) Union organizers on private property.
(d) Government money going to unions.
3. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He maintained national forests.
(b) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(c) He performed on the radio.
(d) He assessed people on relief.
4. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A private club.
(b) A Roman orgy.
(c) A candy store.
(d) A rigged casino.
5. What happened that made Robin Langston realize a crisis had begun in the country?
(a) His friend's father killed himself.
(b) His lights were turned off.
(c) His family stopped eating meat.
(d) He had to miss days of school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
2. At the end of High Life, what does Judy blame for the Depression?
3. What did an industrialist ask Gordon Baxter to destroy for him?
4. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
5. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
2. What was the most controversial component of the New Deal?
3. What do interviewees suspect would happen in another Depression?
4. How did blues and alcohol play a defining role in Terkel's college years?
5. What did the Depression teach Virginia Durr?
6. Why was psychoanalysis largely ineffective in the Depression?
7. What does Dr. Martin Bickham discover about the American drive to work through his relief work in the 1930's?
8. How did The Cradle Will Rock become a lightning rod of controversy?
9. How does Alf Landon recall his 1936 campaign against Roosevelt in the book?
10. How did Wilbur Kane experience the Joe Louis fight against Max Schmeling?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)