|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bob La Follette's signature issue in the 1928 election?
(a) Worker's rights.
(b) Wall Street reform.
(c) Military isolation.
(d) Anti-union legislation.
2. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A Roman orgy.
(b) A private club.
(c) A candy store.
(d) A rigged casino.
3. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A hot meal.
(b) A trip to the movies.
(c) A bed.
(d) A new sweater.
4. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
(a) Employer firings of unionizing workers.
(b) Violent removal of striking workers.
(c) Government money going to unions.
(d) Union organizers on private property.
5. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
(a) Direct mail.
(c) Radio advertising.
(d) Sponsoring shorts before films.
Short Answer Questions
1. What industry did Jose Yglesia attempt to unionize?
2. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
3. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
4. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
5. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mrs. Winston Roberts of Chicago survive the Depression?
2. Why is Jerome Zerbe's interview oddly disturbing?
3. How did the "southern belle" Diane Morgan become socially conscious in the 1930's?
4. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
5. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
6. What was the purpose of the Bonus March?
7. What connection is made between fear and the Depression in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
8. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
9. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
10. How did William Benton make his fortune?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)