|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In God Bless' the Child, Slim Collier discusses what effect created by job loss in America?
2. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
(a) The Communists.
(b) The Wobblies.
(c) The Catholic Workers.
(d) The CIO.
3. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
(a) The series of vendors who provided food for strikers.
(b) The government officers who were on the company payroll.
(c) Hired thugs working for management.
(d) The strike organizers.
4. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
(a) Door girl for a speakeasy.
(b) Chorus diver in movies.
(c) Switchboard operator for an advertising firm.
(d) Card girl at boxing matches.
5. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Their faith.
(b) Charity organizations.
(c) Their wives.
(d) The government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
2. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
3. What industry did Jose Yglesia attempt to unionize?
4. What happened that made Robin Langston realize a crisis had begun in the country?
5. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
2. What connection is made between fear and the Depression in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
3. What was the purpose of the Bonus March?
4. Why is Jerome Zerbe's interview oddly disturbing?
5. How did hobos get by during the Depression?
6. How did a small community develop around the Ford plant strike in Detroit?
7. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
8. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
9. What does Peggy Terry have to say about race and the Depression?
10. How did Mrs. Winston Roberts of Chicago survive the Depression?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)