|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
(a) Their parents.
(c) Their school.
(d) Their grandparents.
2. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Huey Long.
(b) Alf Landon.
(c) Father Coughlin.
(d) Doctor Townsend.
3. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They worked for a newspaper.
(b) They were actuaries.
(c) They ran a hotel.
(d) They worked a farm.
4. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
5. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
(a) The knock-knock joke.
(b) The Charleston.
(c) The penny arcade.
(d) The fan dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
2. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
3. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
4. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
5. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Doc Graham's attitude toward Franklin Roosevelt?
2. How did the jazz community take care of its own in the Depression?
3. How did Yip Harburg find his way to making music?
4. What did Arthur Robinson experience after the Wall Street Crash of 1929?
5. How was Dr. Lewis Andreas converted to union support in 1937?
6. How do interviewees who were young in the 1930's realize something bad happened in the country?
7. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
8. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
9. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
10. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)