|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
(a) A poet.
(b) A labor organizer.
(c) An entertainer.
(d) A priest.
2. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Their faith.
(b) Their wives.
(c) Charity organizations.
(d) The government.
3. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
(b) Celebrity photography.
(c) Hardcore pornography.
4. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
(a) The government.
(c) Alchohol and drugs.
5. How did strike organizers in Detroit finally stop scabs from coming?
(a) They nailed shut the factory doors.
(b) They paid scabs not to go to work.
(c) They burned a scab's house down.
(d) They shut down the highway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
2. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
3. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
4. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
5. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Robin Langston's family affected by the Depression?
2. What strange and dangerous episode regarding congressional testimony does C. Wright Patman make?
3. How does Christopher Lasch explain the possibility of a socialist revolt in the 1930's?
4. How was Dr. Lewis Andreas converted to union support in 1937?
5. What safety concerns pervaded mines in the 1930's?
6. How did Yip Harburg find his way to making music?
7. What does Slim Collier's discussion of her father say about the effect unemployment has on men?
8. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
9. What was Dr. Townsend's contribution to the Depression-era discourse?
10. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)