|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
(a) Chorus diver in movies.
(b) Door girl for a speakeasy.
(c) Switchboard operator for an advertising firm.
(d) Card girl at boxing matches.
2. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
(a) They are all fired.
(b) The porters are given a vote and they vote against the union.
(c) The union is instituted.
(d) Only NIxon's train line is unionized.
3. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
(a) John Kennedy.
(b) Curtis LeMay.
(c) George Patton.
(d) Dwight Eisenhower.
4. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt came from money.
(b) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(c) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
(d) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
5. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Les Miserables.
(b) Democracy in America.
(c) Grapes of Wrath.
(d) The Great Gatsby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
2. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
3. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
4. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
5. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Robin Langston's family affected by the Depression?
2. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
3. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
4. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
5. Why is Jerome Zerbe's interview oddly disturbing?
6. How did the effects of the Crash become apparent in Terkel's parents' business?
7. How did Mrs. Winston Roberts of Chicago survive the Depression?
8. How did blues and alcohol play a defining role in Terkel's college years?
9. How was Dr. Lewis Andreas converted to union support in 1937?
10. How did the Bonus March end?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)