|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
(a) The penny arcade.
(b) The Charleston.
(c) The fan dance.
(d) The knock-knock joke.
2. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
(a) It became a shantytown.
(b) It was closed by the broke municipal government.
(c) It fell into disrepair.
(d) It became a site of weekly worker protests.
3. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(c) Emigrating to Mexico.
4. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
(a) They occupied federal buildings.
(b) They slept in train stations.
(c) They set up tents in the National Mall.
(d) The slept in front of the White House.
5. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He performed on the radio.
(b) He assessed people on relief.
(c) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(d) He maintained national forests.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
2. Where does the sit in of Three Strikes take place?
3. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
4. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
5. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did blues and alcohol play a defining role in Terkel's college years?
2. Why is Jerome Zerbe's interview oddly disturbing?
3. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
4. How did a small community develop around the Ford plant strike in Detroit?
5. How does Terkel explain his purposes in writing Hard Times?
6. How did the effects of the Crash become apparent in Terkel's parents' business?
7. How did Mrs. Winston Roberts of Chicago survive the Depression?
8. What does Slim Collier's discussion of her father say about the effect unemployment has on men?
9. What was the purpose of the Bonus March?
10. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)