|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(d) An African prince.
2. How did Phyllis Mortimer's brother feel about her working in the 1930's?
3. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
(a) He provided free healthcare to them.
(b) He wrote op-eds for them.
(c) He contributed thousands to their employment fund.
(d) He lobbied senators and congressmen on their behalf.
4. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
(a) It became a shantytown.
(b) It fell into disrepair.
(c) It was closed by the broke municipal government.
(d) It became a site of weekly worker protests.
5. What demagogic figure of the 1930's did Dawn McCullough despise?
(a) Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) Bob La Follette.
(c) Huey Long.
(d) Father Coughlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
2. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
3. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
4. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
5. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the Depression, what did Terkel do instead of becoming a lawyer?
2. How was Robin Langston's family affected by the Depression?
3. How did the jazz community take care of its own in the Depression?
4. What connection is made between fear and the Depression in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
5. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
6. How did blues and alcohol play a defining role in Terkel's college years?
7. How did Mrs. Winston Roberts of Chicago survive the Depression?
8. How did a small community develop around the Ford plant strike in Detroit?
9. Why was psychoanalysis largely ineffective in the Depression?
10. How did the "southern belle" Diane Morgan become socially conscious in the 1930's?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)