|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
(a) The series of vendors who provided food for strikers.
(b) The strike organizers.
(c) Hired thugs working for management.
(d) The government officers who were on the company payroll.
2. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
(a) Jazz musicians.
(c) Corn growers.
(d) Auto workers.
3. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She was a prostitute.
(b) She made pastries.
(c) She refurbished sofas.
(d) She ran a speakeasy.
4. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Charity organizations.
(b) The government.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Their faith.
5. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt came from money.
(b) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(c) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
(d) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
2. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
3. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
4. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
5. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
2. How did hobos get by during the Depression?
3. Why was psychoanalysis largely ineffective in the Depression?
4. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
5. Describe E.D. Nixon's struggle to unionize sleeping car porters.
6. How did the jazz community take care of its own in the Depression?
7. How did blues and alcohol play a defining role in Terkel's college years?
8. What does Peggy Terry have to say about race and the Depression?
9. Who is Bob La Follette?
10. How did the effects of the Crash become apparent in Terkel's parents' business?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)