|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) An African prince.
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(d) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
2. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
3. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Charity organizations.
(b) The government.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Their faith.
4. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) They never had money to begin with.
(b) They never bought on credit.
(c) Black communities were not affected by the Depression.
(d) Theirs was the most popular restaurant in town.
5. According to Dr. David J. Rossman, what did psychoanalysis not acknowledge regarding patient distress in the 1930's?
(b) External stimuli.
(c) Anxiety attacks.
(d) Parental fixations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
2. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
3. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
4. Why was the Michigan governor Frank Murphy branded weak-willed regarding the sit-in strike?
5. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a small community develop around the Ford plant strike in Detroit?
2. How did Blackie Gold end up maintaining national forests in the 1930's?
3. Why is Jerome Zerbe's interview oddly disturbing?
4. What does Phyllis Mortimer do when her family falls on hard times in the 1930's?
5. Why was psychoanalysis largely ineffective in the Depression?
6. What does Slim Collier's discussion of her father say about the effect unemployment has on men?
7. What connection is made between fear and the Depression in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
8. How was Dr. Lewis Andreas converted to union support in 1937?
9. What resources for the transient did Ed Paulson discover during the Depression?
10. How did William Benton make his fortune?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)