|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides attempting to change the makeup of the Supreme Court, what Roosevelt decision does James Farley say alienated people in the administration?
(a) Creating the NRA.
(b) Running for a third term.
(c) Not revealing his health problems to the public.
(d) Entering World War II.
2. Why did Ray Wax flee his parents home?
(a) They were stealing his money.
(b) They kicked him out for his Communist beliefs.
(c) He eloped with a girl.
(d) He wanted to move to New York City.
3. What does Alf Landon say he disliked about Roosevelt's New Deal?
(a) Almost nothing.
(b) The nationalization of industry.
(c) The Stalinist collectivism.
(d) Its centralization of executive power.
4. What psychiatric complaints did Dr. Nathan Ackerman's patients most often bring to him?
(a) Agoraphobia and narcolepsy.
(b) Malaise and suicidal thoughts.
(c) Anxiety and chronic sadness.
(d) Tremors and nausea.
5. At the end of his interview, Horace Cayton discusses why black Americans never joined what group en masse?
(a) The Wobblies.
(b) The Republicans.
(c) The Communists.
(d) The Unions.
6. In the 1930's W. Clement Stone made his money selling what?
(b) Wholesale grain feed.
(c) Life insurance.
7. Where did Max R. Naiman and his worker's rights clients end up sleeping after he got them acquitted?
(a) On the steps of the courthouse.
(b) A boxcar.
(c) A YMCA.
(d) A city park.
8. Who does Myrna Loy suspect of being the force behind her inability to meet FDR?
(a) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(b) Louis B. Mayer.
(c) Martin Dies.
(d) Harry Truman.
9. Why did Huey Long not run for president in 1936?
(a) He was assassinated.
(b) He was embroiled in scandals.
(c) He chose to retire.
(d) He became Roosevelt's Chief of Staff.
10. Why did C. Wright Patman push for the impeachment of Hoover's Treasury Secretary?
(a) He was not an American citizen.
(b) He stopped the World War I bonuses.
(c) He failed to address the stock market crash.
(d) He promoted market speculation.
11. In whose administration was David Kennedy the Secretary of the Treasury?
12. Why was Hiram Sherman removed from Equity leadership?
(a) He was branded a communist.
(b) He quit acting.
(c) He performed The Cradle Will Rock.
(d) He voted to disband the union.
13. What accusation was made against Dr. Francis Townsend in his time?
(a) Stealing from the elderly.
(b) Womanizing behavior.
(c) Being a Communist.
(d) Aspiring to the Presidency.
14. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
(a) The Cultural Revolution.
(b) The Hitler-Stalin Pact.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
(d) Stalin's purges.
15. What was Paul Draper's occupation during the 1930's?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of The Fine and Lively Arts, Hiram Sherman speaks glowingly of drinking covert gin out of what?
2. Who was the head of the red-baiting committee that investigated New Deal administrators in the 1930's?
3. With what assertion does David Kennedy say he disagrees regarding Roosevelt?
4. How was public housing viewed differently by the public in the 1930's than it is today?
5. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)