|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what was the state of coal miners before the Depression?
(a) A normal middle-class community.
(b) Moderately well-to-do.
(c) Absurdly prosperous.
(d) The same as during the Depression.
2. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) George Gershwin.
(b) Hiram Sherman.
(c) John Houseman.
(d) Marc Blitzstein.
3. What issue does Stanley Kell surprisingly support?
(b) Leaving Vietnam.
(c) George McGovern's campaign.
(d) Legalizing marijuana.
4. What public figure publicly raved about Jack Kirkland's play?
(a) Orson Welles.
(b) Harold Ickes.
(c) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(d) Huey Long.
5. Why did C. Wright Patman push for the impeachment of Hoover's Treasury Secretary?
(a) He failed to address the stock market crash.
(b) He stopped the World War I bonuses.
(c) He was not an American citizen.
(d) He promoted market speculation.
6. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
(b) Stalin's purges.
(c) The Cultural Revolution.
(d) The Hitler-Stalin Pact.
7. What was the Actors Union's response to The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) It barred actors from performing it onstage.
(b) It refused to intervene.
(c) It insisted the production go on as scheduled.
(d) It stipulated only five of its members could perform in it.
8. What popular American novel did Jack Kirkland adapt into a successful play?
(a) Tender is the Night.
(b) The Jungle.
(c) Tobacco Road.
(d) Of Mice and Men.
9. Why was Hiram Sherman removed from Equity leadership?
(a) He quit acting.
(b) He was branded a communist.
(c) He performed The Cradle Will Rock.
(d) He voted to disband the union.
10. At the end of his interview, Horace Cayton discusses why black Americans never joined what group en masse?
(a) The Wobblies.
(b) The Republicans.
(c) The Unions.
(d) The Communists.
11. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
(a) To keep Japanese Americans out of it.
(b) To stop mobs threatening to burn it down.
(c) To keep an eye out for union organizers.
(d) To ensure that blacks were being fairly served.
12. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
(b) Relief fraud.
(c) Employer intimidation.
(d) Health violations.
13. To whom did Myrna Loy send her infamous wire?
(a) A Soviet defector.
(b) A Czech dissident.
14. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
(a) The poor public servant.
(c) King Frank.
(d) The indispensible man.
15. What was Dorothea Lange's profession?
(b) Newspaper columnist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Martin Bickham recommend his employers help struggling Americans during the Depression?
2. Why did Huey Long not run for president in 1936?
3. According to historian Christopher Lasch, what was never a serious possibility in the Depression?
4. How did some states begin paying public school teachers in the 1930's?
5. Why did a significant number of people flee public housing in 1949?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)