|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Hiram Sherman removed from Equity leadership?
(a) He performed The Cradle Will Rock.
(b) He quit acting.
(c) He was branded a communist.
(d) He voted to disband the union.
2. What psychiatric complaints did Dr. Nathan Ackerman's patients most often bring to him?
(a) Tremors and nausea.
(b) Anxiety and chronic sadness.
(c) Malaise and suicidal thoughts.
(d) Agoraphobia and narcolepsy.
3. Why did Ray Wax flee his parents home?
(a) He wanted to move to New York City.
(b) He eloped with a girl.
(c) They were stealing his money.
(d) They kicked him out for his Communist beliefs.
4. What event discussed earlier in the book does Harry Norgard think was destructive to society?
(a) The Detroit sit-in.
(b) The Bank Holiday.
(c) The Chicago teachers' strike.
(d) The Cradle Will Rock premiere.
5. Why did a significant number of people flee public housing in 1949?
(a) The units were found to be unsafely constructed.
(b) The war increased income across the board.
(c) The governement decreased funding to it.
(d) The units were integrated.
6. Where did Max R. Naiman and his worker's rights clients end up sleeping after he got them acquitted?
(a) A boxcar.
(b) A city park.
(c) On the steps of the courthouse.
(d) A YMCA.
7. How does Dr. Martin Bickham recommend his employers help struggling Americans during the Depression?
(a) Develop work programs.
(b) Issue relief through churches.
(c) Organize bread lines.
(d) Contribute to governmental efforts.
8. What shocking information did General Smedley Butler report to Congress in the 1930's?
(a) There were Communists in the Roosevelt administration.
(b) Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time.
(c) Hoover was absent for most meetings regarding the Depression.
(d) A group of right wing military men attempted a coup.
9. Who does Myrna Loy suspect of being the force behind her inability to meet FDR?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(c) Louis B. Mayer.
(d) Martin Dies.
10. What did the prison where Scoop Lankford was held in the 1930's try to feed the inmates at the worst times?
(d) Rotten sardines.
11. With what assertion does David Kennedy say he disagrees regarding Roosevelt?
(a) He was a Communist.
(b) He saved America.
(c) His programs stemmed suffering.
(d) He bought his elections.
12. What happened to Orrin Kelly after the incident with the Iowa judge?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) He interviewed the leaders of the mob.
(c) He had to flee town.
(d) He became judge of the county.
13. What did Hiram Sherman do in The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) He was a stagehand.
(b) He wrote it.
(c) He directed it.
(d) He was an actor.
14. What does Wilbur Kane remember most vividly about Franklin Roosevelt?
(a) His tailcoats.
(b) His smile.
(c) His voice.
(d) His cufflinks.
15. As described in The Farmer Is the Man, how did a mob respond to a judge who was foreclosing on homes in Iowa?
(a) They tarred and feathered him.
(b) They lobbied to have him removed.
(c) They burned down his house.
(d) They lynched him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
2. What memory makes Elsa Ponselle laugh during her interview in Public Servant-The City?
3. Why did C. Wright Patman push for the impeachment of Hoover's Treasury Secretary?
4. How were the actors able to perform the opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
5. What controversial action did the Rural Rehabilitation Division undertake in the 1930's?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)