|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Ward James fired from his job in the 1930's?
(a) Lack of money to pay him.
(c) Drinking on the job.
(d) Union activity.
2. Why does Billy Green say he was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) He had no stocks.
(b) He invested in his own business.
(c) He had his money overseas.
(d) He invested in gold.
3. What memory makes Elsa Ponselle laugh during her interview in Public Servant-The City?
(a) The propaganda posters the government put out.
(b) Her family accusing her of being a Bolshevik.
(c) The debates that led to the creation of the teacher's union.
(d) The fear millionaires had during the Depression.
4. According to Scoop Lankford, when did conditions finally improve in the prison?
(a) When Truman took office.
(b) When the rioting started.
(c) When the war started.
(d) When the WPA started.
5. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
(a) Food rations.
(b) Company vouchers.
6. What type of protest does Horace Cayton discuss in Honor and Humiliation?
7. What does Edward Burgess discuss buying at the beginning of his interview in Merely Passing Through?
(a) A yacht.
(b) A Studebaker.
(c) A rack of lamb.
(d) A pair of Florsheim shoes.
8. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
(a) To stop mobs threatening to burn it down.
(b) To ensure that blacks were being fairly served.
(c) To keep an eye out for union organizers.
(d) To keep Japanese Americans out of it.
9. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
(d) His father.
10. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
(a) The Hitler-Stalin Pact.
(b) Stalin's purges.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
(d) The Cultural Revolution.
11. What shocking information did General Smedley Butler report to Congress in the 1930's?
(a) A group of right wing military men attempted a coup.
(b) Hoover was absent for most meetings regarding the Depression.
(c) There were Communists in the Roosevelt administration.
(d) Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time.
12. What does Wilbur Kane still dislike about Roosevelt?
(a) He did away with the NRA.
(b) He waited too long to take on Hitler.
(c) He stayed in office past two full terms.
(d) He tried to pack the Supreme Court.
13. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
(a) Progressive political rallies.
(b) Town hall meetings.
(c) UMW locals.
(d) Church raisings.
14. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
(a) The seventies.
(b) When America entered World War II.
(c) When Roosevelt died.
(d) When the stock market crashed.
15. What accusation was made against Dr. Francis Townsend in his time?
(a) Stealing from the elderly.
(b) Being a Communist.
(c) Aspiring to the Presidency.
(d) Womanizing behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alf Landon say he disliked about Roosevelt's New Deal?
2. What was the Actors Union's response to The Cradle Will Rock?
3. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
4. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
5. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)