|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Dorothea Lange's profession?
(b) Newspaper columnist.
2. What was Roosevelt trying to prevent with the Bank Holiday?
(a) Buyouts by large conglomerate banks.
(b) The decimation of people's savings.
(c) A run on failing banks.
(d) The emigration of bank owners.
3. What type of protest does Horace Cayton discuss in Honor and Humiliation?
4. According to Scoop Lankford, when did conditions finally improve in the prison?
(a) When the WPA started.
(b) When Truman took office.
(c) When the war started.
(d) When the rioting started.
5. What marked Long's second-in-command Gerald Smith regarding his speeches?
(a) His lack of clarity.
(b) His anti-Semitism.
(c) His stutter.
(d) His vulgarity.
6. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
(a) Ventilating mines.
(b) Offering medical examinations.
(c) Spraying down shafts.
(d) Switching out workers every 8 hours.
7. What legendary artist of the twentieth century directed The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) Lawrence Olivier.
(b) Orson Welles.
(c) Lee Strasburg.
(d) John Gielgud.
8. In Three o'Clock in the Morning, Wilbur Kane's mother was bitter about the invasion of what?
(a) The Sudetanland
9. What writer did Ray Wax take as his model during the Depression?
(a) Upton Sinclair.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) Horatio Alger.
10. With what assertion does David Kennedy say he disagrees regarding Roosevelt?
(a) His programs stemmed suffering.
(b) He bought his elections.
(c) He saved America.
(d) He was a Communist.
11. How does Dr. Martin Bickham recommend his employers help struggling Americans during the Depression?
(a) Develop work programs.
(b) Contribute to governmental efforts.
(c) Organize bread lines.
(d) Issue relief through churches.
12. According to historian Christopher Lasch, what was never a serious possibility in the Depression?
(b) Annexation by Canada.
(c) A right-wing reaction.
(d) Loss of personal freedom.
13. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
(a) The poor public servant.
(c) King Frank.
(d) The indispensible man.
14. What does the young man in the final interview of Arrests and Other Running Sores do for a living?
(a) Public defender.
(c) Repo man.
(d) Convenience store clerk.
15. Why does Billy Green say he was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) He had no stocks.
(b) He had his money overseas.
(c) He invested in gold.
(d) He invested in his own business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue does Stanley Kell surprisingly support?
2. How were the actors able to perform the opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
3. Where did Max R. Naiman and his worker's rights clients end up sleeping after he got them acquitted?
4. Who does Myrna Loy suspect of being the force behind her inability to meet FDR?
5. Why did C. Wright Patman push for the impeachment of Hoover's Treasury Secretary?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)