|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides attempting to change the makeup of the Supreme Court, what Roosevelt decision does James Farley say alienated people in the administration?
(a) Not revealing his health problems to the public.
(b) Creating the NRA.
(c) Running for a third term.
(d) Entering World War II.
2. What does Wilbur Kane still dislike about Roosevelt?
(a) He stayed in office past two full terms.
(b) He waited too long to take on Hitler.
(c) He tried to pack the Supreme Court.
(d) He did away with the NRA.
3. According to Gardiner Means, what ended with the Depression?
(a) The Gold Standard.
(b) Personal freedom.
(c) Federal intervention.
4. What does Edward Burgess discuss buying at the beginning of his interview in Merely Passing Through?
(a) A Studebaker.
(b) A pair of Florsheim shoes.
(c) A rack of lamb.
(d) A yacht.
5. What was Paul Draper's occupation during the 1930's?
6. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
(a) His father.
7. What did Harry Hartman do in the 1930's when he felt bad for the indebted people he was serving?
(a) He would buy them a taxi to a shelter.
(b) He would give them the address of a Worker's Alliance.
(c) He would leave some belongings behind.
(d) He would say they were not home.
8. What did the prison where Scoop Lankford was held in the 1930's try to feed the inmates at the worst times?
(a) Rotten sardines.
9. Corn farmers often switched to what agricultural product in the midst of the Depression?
10. What did Hiram Sherman do in The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) He was a stagehand.
(b) He was an actor.
(c) He directed it.
(d) He wrote it.
11. What was Dorothea Lange's profession?
(a) Newspaper columnist.
12. Why did a significant number of people flee public housing in 1949?
(a) The units were found to be unsafely constructed.
(b) The units were integrated.
(c) The war increased income across the board.
(d) The governement decreased funding to it.
13. What moment excited Wilbur Kane to the point of mocking his German neighbors?
(a) The death of Adolf Hitler.
(b) Jesse Owens' win in the Berlin Olympics.
(c) Joe Louis's victory over Schmeling.
(d) America entering the War.
14. What does Alf Landon say he disliked about Roosevelt's New Deal?
(a) The Stalinist collectivism.
(b) Its centralization of executive power.
(c) The nationalization of industry.
(d) Almost nothing.
15. What controversial action did the Rural Rehabilitation Division undertake in the 1930's?
(a) It combined farms under a federal banner.
(b) It tried to buy out General Mills.
(c) It slaughtered thousands of cows.
(d) It nationalized the dairy industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emma Tiller say in her interview is as important as money?
2. Of what sixties-era organization is Robert A. Baird's son Peter a member?
3. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
4. With what assertion does David Kennedy say he disagrees regarding Roosevelt?
5. What was the Actors Union's response to The Cradle Will Rock?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)