|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the private relief organization that Dr. Martin Bickham worked with in the 1930's?
(a) Relief Alternatives.
(b) Philanthropists Agglomerated.
(c) United Charity.
(d) Helping Hands.
2. According to Samuel A. Heller, what did police often do with arraigned people awaiting trial in the 1930's?
(a) Pawn them off to construction crews.
(b) Have them sing for their entertainment.
(c) Beat them for fun.
(d) Have them shine their shoes.
3. Aaron Barkham informs the reader of what strange practice of certain clans within the Appalachian Ku Klux Klan?
(a) They were entirely composed of women.
(b) They had bake sales.
(c) They spoke Gaelic to each other.
(d) They had black members.
4. What writer did Ray Wax take as his model during the Depression?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Upton Sinclair.
(c) Horatio Alger.
(d) John Steinbeck.
5. What psychiatric complaints did Dr. Nathan Ackerman's patients most often bring to him?
(a) Tremors and nausea.
(b) Agoraphobia and narcolepsy.
(c) Malaise and suicidal thoughts.
(d) Anxiety and chronic sadness.
6. Corn farmers often switched to what agricultural product in the midst of the Depression?
7. With what assertion does David Kennedy say he disagrees regarding Roosevelt?
(a) He was a Communist.
(b) His programs stemmed suffering.
(c) He bought his elections.
(d) He saved America.
8. Why does Billy Green say he was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) He invested in gold.
(b) He invested in his own business.
(c) He had no stocks.
(d) He had his money overseas.
9. Who was the head of the red-baiting committee that investigated New Deal administrators in the 1930's?
(a) C. Wright Patman.
(b) Martin Dies.
(c) Joseph McCarthy.
(d) Stanley Fish.
10. What accusation was made against Dr. Francis Townsend in his time?
(a) Stealing from the elderly.
(b) Being a Communist.
(c) Aspiring to the Presidency.
(d) Womanizing behavior.
11. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
(a) His father.
12. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
(a) Secretary of Agriculture and Vice President.
(b) Secretary of Commerce and Attorney General.
(c) Secretary of the Interior and English Ambassador.
(d) Secretary of Transportation and Chief of Staff.
13. What was Roosevelt trying to prevent with the Bank Holiday?
(a) The emigration of bank owners.
(b) Buyouts by large conglomerate banks.
(c) The decimation of people's savings.
(d) A run on failing banks.
14. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
(a) Company vouchers.
(d) Food rations.
15. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
(a) Ventilating mines.
(b) Spraying down shafts.
(c) Offering medical examinations.
(d) Switching out workers every 8 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. As described in The Farmer Is the Man, how did a mob respond to a judge who was foreclosing on homes in Iowa?
2. In the 1930's W. Clement Stone made his money selling what?
3. What moment excited Wilbur Kane to the point of mocking his German neighbors?
4. Why was Ward James fired from his job in the 1930's?
5. What did Harry Hartman do in the 1930's when he felt bad for the indebted people he was serving?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)