|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what sixties-era organization is Robert A. Baird's son Peter a member?
(a) The Yippies.
(b) The Weathermen.
(d) The Hari-Krishnas.
2. Why did C. Wright Patman push for the impeachment of Hoover's Treasury Secretary?
(a) He stopped the World War I bonuses.
(b) He promoted market speculation.
(c) He was not an American citizen.
(d) He failed to address the stock market crash.
3. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
(a) Spraying down shafts.
(b) Offering medical examinations.
(c) Ventilating mines.
(d) Switching out workers every 8 hours.
4. In Three o'Clock in the Morning, Wilbur Kane's mother was bitter about the invasion of what?
(c) The Sudetanland
5. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
(a) Town hall meetings.
(b) Church raisings.
(c) UMW locals.
(d) Progressive political rallies.
6. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
(a) When America entered World War II.
(b) The seventies.
(c) When the stock market crashed.
(d) When Roosevelt died.
7. What does Wilbur Kane remember most vividly about Franklin Roosevelt?
(a) His cufflinks.
(b) His voice.
(c) His smile.
(d) His tailcoats.
8. Why did Huey Long not run for president in 1936?
(a) He was embroiled in scandals.
(b) He was assassinated.
(c) He became Roosevelt's Chief of Staff.
(d) He chose to retire.
9. What did the prison where Scoop Lankford was held in the 1930's try to feed the inmates at the worst times?
(c) Rotten sardines.
10. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
(c) His father.
11. What was Paul Draper's occupation during the 1930's?
12. Why did Ray Wax flee his parents home?
(a) They kicked him out for his Communist beliefs.
(b) He wanted to move to New York City.
(c) He eloped with a girl.
(d) They were stealing his money.
13. According to Samuel A. Heller, what did police often do with arraigned people awaiting trial in the 1930's?
(a) Have them shine their shoes.
(b) Beat them for fun.
(c) Pawn them off to construction crews.
(d) Have them sing for their entertainment.
14. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
(b) The poor public servant.
(c) The indispensible man.
(d) King Frank.
15. Why did a significant number of people flee public housing in 1949?
(a) The war increased income across the board.
(b) The units were found to be unsafely constructed.
(c) The governement decreased funding to it.
(d) The units were integrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alf Landon say he disliked about Roosevelt's New Deal?
2. According to Gardiner Means, what ended with the Depression?
3. What is the name of the sketch programs Neil Schaffner performed in troupes across the country?
4. During the Depression, why did farmers systematically stop corn deliveries?
5. What accusation was made against Dr. Francis Townsend in his time?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)