|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ray Wax flee his parents home?
(a) He eloped with a girl.
(b) They kicked him out for his Communist beliefs.
(c) They were stealing his money.
(d) He wanted to move to New York City.
2. At the end of his interview, Horace Cayton discusses why black Americans never joined what group en masse?
(a) The Wobblies.
(b) The Republicans.
(c) The Unions.
(d) The Communists.
3. Aaron Barkham informs the reader of what strange practice of certain clans within the Appalachian Ku Klux Klan?
(a) They had bake sales.
(b) They had black members.
(c) They were entirely composed of women.
(d) They spoke Gaelic to each other.
4. Why was Ward James fired from his job in the 1930's?
(a) Drinking on the job.
(c) Union activity.
(d) Lack of money to pay him.
5. What issue does Stanley Kell surprisingly support?
(a) George McGovern's campaign.
(c) Leaving Vietnam.
(d) Legalizing marijuana.
6. According to Fred Thompson, what did Wobblies constantly have to prove they were not?
7. According to Gardiner Means, what ended with the Depression?
(a) Personal freedom.
(c) Federal intervention.
(d) The Gold Standard.
8. Why did C. Wright Patman push for the impeachment of Hoover's Treasury Secretary?
(a) He stopped the World War I bonuses.
(b) He promoted market speculation.
(c) He failed to address the stock market crash.
(d) He was not an American citizen.
9. During the Depression, why did farmers systematically stop corn deliveries?
(a) To highlight their struggle to survive.
(b) To boost the price.
(c) The avoid the spread of colic.
(d) To feed locals.
10. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
(a) UMW locals.
(b) Town hall meetings.
(c) Church raisings.
(d) Progressive political rallies.
11. What was Dorothea Lange's profession?
(d) Newspaper columnist.
12. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
(a) When Roosevelt died.
(b) When America entered World War II.
(c) When the stock market crashed.
(d) The seventies.
13. Who does Myrna Loy suspect of being the force behind her inability to meet FDR?
(a) Martin Dies.
(b) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(c) Harry Truman.
(d) Louis B. Mayer.
14. In the 1930's W. Clement Stone made his money selling what?
(a) Wholesale grain feed.
(d) Life insurance.
15. Why does Billy Green say he was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) He had his money overseas.
(b) He had no stocks.
(c) He invested in his own business.
(d) He invested in gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Actors Union's response to The Cradle Will Rock?
2. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
3. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
4. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
5. Where did Max R. Naiman and his worker's rights clients end up sleeping after he got them acquitted?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)