|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Huey Long not run for president in 1936?
(a) He was assassinated.
(b) He chose to retire.
(c) He was embroiled in scandals.
(d) He became Roosevelt's Chief of Staff.
2. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
(a) The Hitler-Stalin Pact.
(b) Stalin's purges.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
(d) The Cultural Revolution.
3. During the Depression, why did farmers systematically stop corn deliveries?
(a) The avoid the spread of colic.
(b) To highlight their struggle to survive.
(c) To feed locals.
(d) To boost the price.
4. What was the principal desire driving black protest in the 1930's according to Horace Cayton?
(b) Voting rights.
(c) Societal acceptance.
5. What issue does Stanley Kell surprisingly support?
(a) Legalizing marijuana.
(c) Leaving Vietnam.
(d) George McGovern's campaign.
6. What legendary artist of the twentieth century directed The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) Lee Strasburg.
(b) John Gielgud.
(c) Lawrence Olivier.
(d) Orson Welles.
7. What was the name of the private relief organization that Dr. Martin Bickham worked with in the 1930's?
(a) United Charity.
(b) Helping Hands.
(c) Philanthropists Agglomerated.
(d) Relief Alternatives.
8. Why did Ray Wax flee his parents home?
(a) He wanted to move to New York City.
(b) They were stealing his money.
(c) He eloped with a girl.
(d) They kicked him out for his Communist beliefs.
9. What does Wilbur Kane still dislike about Roosevelt?
(a) He did away with the NRA.
(b) He stayed in office past two full terms.
(c) He tried to pack the Supreme Court.
(d) He waited too long to take on Hitler.
10. What type of protest does Horace Cayton discuss in Honor and Humiliation?
11. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
(a) The seventies.
(b) When America entered World War II.
(c) When Roosevelt died.
(d) When the stock market crashed.
12. Why did C. Wright Patman push for the impeachment of Hoover's Treasury Secretary?
(a) He failed to address the stock market crash.
(b) He promoted market speculation.
(c) He stopped the World War I bonuses.
(d) He was not an American citizen.
13. What was Dorothea Lange's profession?
(b) Newspaper columnist.
14. In Three o'Clock in the Morning, Wilbur Kane's mother was bitter about the invasion of what?
(a) The Sudetanland
15. What does the young man in the final interview of Arrests and Other Running Sores do for a living?
(a) Public defender.
(c) Convenience store clerk.
(d) Repo man.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of The Fine and Lively Arts, Hiram Sherman speaks glowingly of drinking covert gin out of what?
2. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
3. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
4. Of what sixties-era organization is Robert A. Baird's son Peter a member?
5. Dr. Francis Townsend's ideas eventually became the groundwork for what?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)