|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alf Landon say he disliked about Roosevelt's New Deal?
(a) The nationalization of industry.
(b) Almost nothing.
(c) The Stalinist collectivism.
(d) Its centralization of executive power.
2. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
(b) Food rations.
(d) Company vouchers.
3. What was Dorothea Lange's profession?
(d) Newspaper columnist.
4. What did the prison where Scoop Lankford was held in the 1930's try to feed the inmates at the worst times?
(b) Rotten sardines.
5. How was public housing viewed differently by the public in the 1930's than it is today?
(a) It was open to people of all income brackets.
(b) It was despised by the wealthy.
(c) It was not thoroughly understood.
(d) It was thought nicer than private housing.
6. What marked Long's second-in-command Gerald Smith regarding his speeches?
(a) His stutter.
(b) His anti-Semitism.
(c) His lack of clarity.
(d) His vulgarity.
7. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
(a) UMW locals.
(b) Town hall meetings.
(c) Progressive political rallies.
(d) Church raisings.
8. What public figure publicly raved about Jack Kirkland's play?
(a) Orson Welles.
(b) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(c) Harold Ickes.
(d) Huey Long.
9. What was the name of the private relief organization that Dr. Martin Bickham worked with in the 1930's?
(a) Relief Alternatives.
(b) Philanthropists Agglomerated.
(c) United Charity.
(d) Helping Hands.
10. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
(d) His father.
11. What controversial action did the Rural Rehabilitation Division undertake in the 1930's?
(a) It nationalized the dairy industry.
(b) It tried to buy out General Mills.
(c) It combined farms under a federal banner.
(d) It slaughtered thousands of cows.
12. To whom did Myrna Loy send her infamous wire?
(b) A Soviet defector.
(c) A Czech dissident.
13. What accusation was made against Dr. Francis Townsend in his time?
(a) Aspiring to the Presidency.
(b) Womanizing behavior.
(c) Stealing from the elderly.
(d) Being a Communist.
14. Of what sixties-era organization is Robert A. Baird's son Peter a member?
(a) The Yippies.
(c) The Weathermen.
(d) The Hari-Krishnas.
15. What is the name of the sketch programs Neil Schaffner performed in troupes across the country?
(d) Penny entertainments.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
2. Dr. Francis Townsend's ideas eventually became the groundwork for what?
3. What does Wilbur Kane remember most vividly about Franklin Roosevelt?
4. What was different about a teachers' strike in the 1930's?
5. In whose administration was David Kennedy the Secretary of the Treasury?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)