|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She ran a speakeasy.
(b) She refurbished sofas.
(c) She made pastries.
(d) She was a prostitute.
2. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A new sweater.
(b) A trip to the movies.
(c) A bed.
(d) A hot meal.
3. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
4. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
(a) Direct mail.
(b) Sponsoring shorts before films.
(c) Radio advertising.
5. What did Bob Leary's father do during much of the Depression to avoid going crazy?
(a) Fish at a nearby lake.
(b) Paint a house.
(c) Redo the upholstery of a car.
(d) Have an affair.
6. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
(a) It was closed by the broke municipal government.
(b) It became a shantytown.
(c) It became a site of weekly worker protests.
(d) It fell into disrepair.
7. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
(a) A priest.
(b) A labor organizer.
(c) An entertainer.
(d) A poet.
8. At the end of High Life, what does Judy blame for the Depression?
9. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
(a) There would be widespread violence.
(b) All Republicans would be voted out.
(c) The Soviets would take over.
(d) We would rebound faster.
10. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
(a) The Crimean War.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Spanish American War.
(d) World War II.
11. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
(a) Only NIxon's train line is unionized.
(b) The union is instituted.
(c) They are all fired.
(d) The porters are given a vote and they vote against the union.
12. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
(a) The Secretary of Education.
(b) A military advisor to Hoover.
(c) A Republican governor of Wisconsin.
(d) The owner of a chain of delis.
13. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He walked the whole way.
(b) He hitched rides.
(c) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
(d) He rode a boxcar.
14. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
15. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
(a) They were boogeymen.
(b) They were folk heroes.
(c) They were barely talked about.
(d) They were commodities to be sold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
2. In her interview, what does Diana Morgan say never interested her?
3. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
4. What was Bob La Follette's signature issue in the 1928 election?
5. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)