|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about modern America mystifies Diana Morgan?
(a) Those who ignore poverty.
(b) The election of Richard Nixon.
(c) America's involvement with Vietnam.
(d) The widespread use of drugs.
2. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
(a) A military advisor to Hoover.
(b) The Secretary of Education.
(c) The owner of a chain of delis.
(d) A Republican governor of Wisconsin.
3. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A hot meal.
(b) A new sweater.
(c) A trip to the movies.
(d) A bed.
4. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
5. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
(a) His loss of a hand.
(b) His left-leaning views.
(c) The oversaturation of the profession in the 1930's.
(d) His drinking.
6. Why was the Michigan governor Frank Murphy branded weak-willed regarding the sit-in strike?
(a) He disappeared from public after condemning the strike.
(b) He came out in support of the union.
(c) He did not send in troops.
(d) He refused to comment on the strike.
7. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
(a) Violent removal of striking workers.
(b) Employer firings of unionizing workers.
(c) Government money going to unions.
(d) Union organizers on private property.
8. What was Bob La Follette's signature issue in the 1928 election?
(a) Worker's rights.
(b) Anti-union legislation.
(c) Wall Street reform.
(d) Military isolation.
9. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
(a) To make more money.
(b) To have influence.
(c) To provide for one's family.
(d) To give to the poor.
10. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(b) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(c) To say hello to loved ones.
(d) To track the places they have been.
11. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
(b) Their parents.
(c) Their school.
(d) Their grandparents.
12. At the end of High Life, what does Judy blame for the Depression?
13. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Alf Landon.
(b) Doctor Townsend.
(c) Father Coughlin.
(d) Huey Long.
14. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
15. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(b) He assessed people on relief.
(c) He performed on the radio.
(d) He maintained national forests.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
2. How does Diana Morgan describe herself at the beginning of her interview?
3. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
4. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
5. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)