|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Doc Graham, what was the only good thing Roosevelt did?
(a) Pass the WPO.
(c) Get Hoover out of office.
(d) Repeal Prohibition.
2. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
(a) He contributed thousands to their employment fund.
(b) He provided free healthcare to them.
(c) He lobbied senators and congressmen on their behalf.
(d) He wrote op-eds for them.
3. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(a) Her family.
(d) Her sense of patriotism.
4. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
(a) The Boston Globe.
(d) Corn Flakes.
5. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
(a) The Catholic Workers.
(b) The Wobblies.
(c) The Communists.
(d) The CIO.
6. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A sin.
(b) A birthright.
(c) A personal failing.
(d) A mark of holiness.
7. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
(b) Military services.
(c) Financial sector.
(d) University administration.
8. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
9. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
(a) The government officers who were on the company payroll.
(b) The strike organizers.
(c) Hired thugs working for management.
(d) The series of vendors who provided food for strikers.
10. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He walked the whole way.
(b) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
(c) He rode a boxcar.
(d) He hitched rides.
11. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
(a) The Charleston.
(b) The fan dance.
(c) The knock-knock joke.
(d) The penny arcade.
12. What did Arthur Robinson do before entering the financial markets?
(a) He was a tobacco picker.
(b) He was an actor.
(c) He was a school teacher.
(d) He was a war correspondent.
13. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
14. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
(a) Card girl at boxing matches.
(b) Chorus diver in movies.
(c) Door girl for a speakeasy.
(d) Switchboard operator for an advertising firm.
15. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To track the places they have been.
(b) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(c) To say hello to loved ones.
(d) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Diana Morgan describe herself at the beginning of her interview?
2. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
3. What happened that made Robin Langston realize a crisis had begun in the country?
4. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
5. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)