|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
(b) Auto workers.
(c) Corn growers.
(d) Jazz musicians.
2. What recollection does Diana Morgan have that draws tears from her?
(a) Losing her house.
(b) Having to stand on line for a job.
(c) Interviewing her former maid for relief.
(d) Her father's death.
3. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
(a) Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
(b) Sixteen Tons.
(c) We're In the Money.
(d) Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries.
4. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt came from money.
(b) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
(c) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(d) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
5. What demagogic figure of the 1930's did Dawn McCullough despise?
(a) Father Coughlin.
(b) Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) Bob La Follette.
(d) Huey Long.
6. Why was the Michigan governor Frank Murphy branded weak-willed regarding the sit-in strike?
(a) He came out in support of the union.
(b) He disappeared from public after condemning the strike.
(c) He did not send in troops.
(d) He refused to comment on the strike.
7. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
(a) A military advisor to Hoover.
(b) A Republican governor of Wisconsin.
(c) The Secretary of Education.
(d) The owner of a chain of delis.
8. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
(a) Violent removal of striking workers.
(b) Employer firings of unionizing workers.
(c) Union organizers on private property.
(d) Government money going to unions.
9. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
(a) John Kennedy.
(b) George Patton.
(c) Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) Curtis LeMay.
10. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Charity organizations.
(b) Their faith.
(c) The government.
(d) Their wives.
11. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Dustbin salesman.
(b) Radio performer.
(c) Advertising copy editor.
(d) Circus booker.
12. What happened that made Robin Langston realize a crisis had begun in the country?
(a) His lights were turned off.
(b) He had to miss days of school.
(c) His family stopped eating meat.
(d) His friend's father killed himself.
13. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
(a) Union organizer.
(b) Railway worker.
(c) Primary school teacher.
(d) Social worker.
14. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
(a) He wrote op-eds for them.
(b) He provided free healthcare to them.
(c) He contributed thousands to their employment fund.
(d) He lobbied senators and congressmen on their behalf.
15. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He rode a boxcar.
(b) He walked the whole way.
(c) He hitched rides.
(d) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
2. What was Bob La Follette's signature issue in the 1928 election?
3. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
4. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
5. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)