|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
(a) To provide for one's family.
(b) To give to the poor.
(c) To have influence.
(d) To make more money.
2. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were always worse off.
(b) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(c) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
(d) Blacks were actually better off.
3. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Huey Long.
(b) Father Coughlin.
(c) Alf Landon.
(d) Doctor Townsend.
4. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
(a) In his sock.
(b) In a Swiss account.
(c) In a coffee can.
(d) Under his mattress.
5. According to Doc Graham, what was the only good thing Roosevelt did?
(a) Repeal Prohibition.
(b) Get Hoover out of office.
(d) Pass the WPO.
6. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
7. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
(a) We're In the Money.
(b) Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries.
(c) Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
(d) Sixteen Tons.
8. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Spanish American War.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Crimean War.
9. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
10. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
(c) Pig's feet.
(d) Brussel sprouts.
11. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Advertising copy editor.
(b) Radio performer.
(c) Dustbin salesman.
(d) Circus booker.
12. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
(a) The Communists.
(b) The Wobblies.
(c) The CIO.
(d) The Catholic Workers.
13. At the end of High Life, what does Judy blame for the Depression?
14. In God Bless' the Child, Slim Collier discusses what effect created by job loss in America?
15. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) They never bought on credit.
(b) Black communities were not affected by the Depression.
(c) Theirs was the most popular restaurant in town.
(d) They never had money to begin with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about modern America mystifies Diana Morgan?
2. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
3. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
4. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
5. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)