|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
(a) He provided free healthcare to them.
(b) He wrote op-eds for them.
(c) He contributed thousands to their employment fund.
(d) He lobbied senators and congressmen on their behalf.
2. How did Phyllis Mortimer's brother feel about her working in the 1930's?
3. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
(a) Those who thought it foolproof.
(b) Those who were poor already.
(c) The financial giants.
(d) Black people.
4. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
(a) Die work.
5. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) Black communities were not affected by the Depression.
(b) Theirs was the most popular restaurant in town.
(c) They never bought on credit.
(d) They never had money to begin with.
6. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
(a) Auto workers.
(b) Corn growers.
(d) Jazz musicians.
7. What did Arthur Robinson do before entering the financial markets?
(a) He was a tobacco picker.
(b) He was an actor.
(c) He was a school teacher.
(d) He was a war correspondent.
8. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
(a) They were boogeymen.
(b) They were barely talked about.
(c) They were folk heroes.
(d) They were commodities to be sold.
9. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were actually better off.
(b) Blacks were always worse off.
(c) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(d) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
10. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Advertising copy editor.
(b) Circus booker.
(c) Radio performer.
(d) Dustbin salesman.
11. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He walked the whole way.
(b) He rode a boxcar.
(c) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
(d) He hitched rides.
12. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Spanish American War.
(d) The Crimean War.
13. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(a) Water cannon.
(c) Tear gas.
14. How did strike organizers in Detroit finally stop scabs from coming?
(a) They paid scabs not to go to work.
(b) They burned a scab's house down.
(c) They nailed shut the factory doors.
(d) They shut down the highway.
15. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
(c) Hardcore pornography.
(d) Celebrity photography.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
2. What did Bob Leary's father do during much of the Depression to avoid going crazy?
3. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
4. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
5. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)