|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
(a) He provided free healthcare to them.
(b) He lobbied senators and congressmen on their behalf.
(c) He contributed thousands to their employment fund.
(d) He wrote op-eds for them.
2. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She refurbished sofas.
(b) She made pastries.
(c) She was a prostitute.
(d) She ran a speakeasy.
3. What did an industrialist ask Gordon Baxter to destroy for him?
(a) Dossiers on his workers.
(b) Anti-union pamphlets.
(c) A union card.
(d) A cudgel used to kill a union leader.
4. What was Bob La Follette's signature issue in the 1928 election?
(a) Wall Street reform.
(b) Worker's rights.
(c) Anti-union legislation.
(d) Military isolation.
5. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
(a) In his sock.
(b) In a Swiss account.
(c) Under his mattress.
(d) In a coffee can.
6. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Radio performer.
(b) Circus booker.
(c) Advertising copy editor.
(d) Dustbin salesman.
7. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
(a) Their parents.
(b) Their grandparents.
(d) Their school.
8. What demagogic figure of the 1930's did Dawn McCullough despise?
(a) Father Coughlin.
(b) Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) Bob La Follette.
(d) Huey Long.
9. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
(b) Jazz musicians.
(c) Corn growers.
(d) Auto workers.
10. In God Bless' the Child, Slim Collier discusses what effect created by job loss in America?
11. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To say hello to loved ones.
(b) To track the places they have been.
(c) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(d) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
12. Why was the Michigan governor Frank Murphy branded weak-willed regarding the sit-in strike?
(a) He disappeared from public after condemning the strike.
(b) He did not send in troops.
(c) He refused to comment on the strike.
(d) He came out in support of the union.
13. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Charity organizations.
(b) Their wives.
(c) Their faith.
(d) The government.
14. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(b) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(c) It demeans her life experience.
(d) It ignores the political reality of the events.
15. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
(a) The fan dance.
(b) The knock-knock joke.
(c) The Charleston.
(d) The penny arcade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
2. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
3. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
4. In his interview, Doc Graham says that in the 1930's he was the country's best what?
5. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)