|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
(a) Pig's feet.
(b) Brussel sprouts.
2. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
(a) It became a shantytown.
(b) It fell into disrepair.
(c) It was closed by the broke municipal government.
(d) It became a site of weekly worker protests.
3. How does Diana Morgan describe herself at the beginning of her interview?
(a) A woman of ill repute.
(b) A habitual instigator.
(c) A lost cause.
(d) A southern belle.
4. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A new sweater.
(b) A hot meal.
(c) A bed.
(d) A trip to the movies.
5. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He rode a boxcar.
(b) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
(c) He hitched rides.
(d) He walked the whole way.
6. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
(a) Their school.
(b) Their grandparents.
(c) Their parents.
7. What industry did Jose Yglesia attempt to unionize?
(a) Newspaper printers.
(b) Cigar rollers.
8. Where does the sit in of Three Strikes take place?
(a) A cigarette manufactuing plant.
(b) A Ford auto plant.
(c) A Rockefeller steel mill.
(d) A locally owned cloth factory.
9. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(b) Tear gas.
(d) Water cannon.
10. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(d) Emigrating to Mexico.
11. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
12. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
(b) Direct mail.
(c) Sponsoring shorts before films.
(d) Radio advertising.
13. In what scant costume did Sally Rand enter the Beaux Arts ball?
(a) Lady Godiva.
14. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A candy store.
(b) A Roman orgy.
(c) A private club.
(d) A rigged casino.
15. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were actually better off.
(b) Blacks were always worse off.
(c) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
(d) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
2. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
3. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
4. What inversion of racial relationships happened regarding Robin Langston's father during the Depression?
5. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)