|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
(a) Celebrity photography.
(b) Hardcore pornography.
2. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(a) Water cannon.
(c) Tear gas.
3. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
(a) It became a site of weekly worker protests.
(b) It became a shantytown.
(c) It fell into disrepair.
(d) It was closed by the broke municipal government.
4. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A candy store.
(b) A rigged casino.
(c) A private club.
(d) A Roman orgy.
5. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Father Coughlin.
(b) Doctor Townsend.
(c) Huey Long.
(d) Alf Landon.
6. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He rode a boxcar.
(b) He hitched rides.
(c) He walked the whole way.
(d) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
7. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
(a) Alchohol and drugs.
(d) The government.
8. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) The blues.
(b) A real American Hooverville.
(c) Huey Long's home district.
(d) His high school sweetheart.
9. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
10. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
(a) The strike organizers.
(b) The government officers who were on the company payroll.
(c) Hired thugs working for management.
(d) The series of vendors who provided food for strikers.
11. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To track the places they have been.
(b) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(c) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(d) To say hello to loved ones.
12. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
(a) Social worker.
(b) Primary school teacher.
(c) Union organizer.
(d) Railway worker.
13. What did an industrialist ask Gordon Baxter to destroy for him?
(a) A cudgel used to kill a union leader.
(b) A union card.
(c) Anti-union pamphlets.
(d) Dossiers on his workers.
14. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Circus booker.
(b) Dustbin salesman.
(c) Radio performer.
(d) Advertising copy editor.
15. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Their wives.
(b) The government.
(c) Their faith.
(d) Charity organizations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
2. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
3. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
4. In what scant costume did Sally Rand enter the Beaux Arts ball?
5. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)