|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She refurbished sofas.
(b) She made pastries.
(c) She ran a speakeasy.
(d) She was a prostitute.
2. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
(a) The series of vendors who provided food for strikers.
(b) The strike organizers.
(c) Hired thugs working for management.
(d) The government officers who were on the company payroll.
3. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
4. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(c) Emigrating to Mexico.
5. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
(a) The oversaturation of the profession in the 1930's.
(b) His left-leaning views.
(c) His loss of a hand.
(d) His drinking.
6. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
7. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
(a) It became a shantytown.
(b) It was closed by the broke municipal government.
(c) It fell into disrepair.
(d) It became a site of weekly worker protests.
8. In his interview, Doc Graham says that in the 1930's he was the country's best what?
(a) Door-to-door salesman.
(b) Con man.
(d) Pitch man.
9. What happened that made Robin Langston realize a crisis had begun in the country?
(a) His friend's father killed himself.
(b) He had to miss days of school.
(c) His family stopped eating meat.
(d) His lights were turned off.
10. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
(b) Corn Flakes.
(c) The Boston Globe.
11. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A rigged casino.
(b) A private club.
(c) A Roman orgy.
(d) A candy store.
12. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(b) Tear gas.
(c) Water cannon.
13. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He hitched rides.
(b) He walked the whole way.
(c) He rode a boxcar.
(d) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
14. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
(a) A military post.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A boarding school.
15. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A mark of holiness.
(b) A birthright.
(c) A sin.
(d) A personal failing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
2. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
3. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
4. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
5. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)