|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What recollection does Diana Morgan have that draws tears from her?
(a) Her father's death.
(b) Interviewing her former maid for relief.
(c) Having to stand on line for a job.
(d) Losing her house.
2. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) His high school sweetheart.
(b) Huey Long's home district.
(c) A real American Hooverville.
(d) The blues.
3. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
(a) A military advisor to Hoover.
(b) A Republican governor of Wisconsin.
(c) The Secretary of Education.
(d) The owner of a chain of delis.
4. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
(a) The financial giants.
(b) Those who thought it foolproof.
(c) Black people.
(d) Those who were poor already.
5. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
(b) The government.
(d) Alchohol and drugs.
6. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(b) Emigrating to Mexico.
7. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(b) Her sense of patriotism.
(c) Her family.
8. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
(a) We would rebound faster.
(b) All Republicans would be voted out.
(c) There would be widespread violence.
(d) The Soviets would take over.
9. What demagogic figure of the 1930's did Dawn McCullough despise?
(a) Huey Long.
(b) Bob La Follette.
(c) Franklin Roosevelt.
(d) Father Coughlin.
10. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He maintained national forests.
(b) He performed on the radio.
(c) He assessed people on relief.
(d) He wrote for a national labor journal.
11. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
(a) Die work.
12. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
(a) Social worker.
(b) Union organizer.
(c) Railway worker.
(d) Primary school teacher.
13. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
(a) To provide for one's family.
(b) To make more money.
(c) To give to the poor.
(d) To have influence.
14. In his interview, Doc Graham says that in the 1930's he was the country's best what?
(a) Door-to-door salesman.
(c) Pitch man.
(d) Con man.
15. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
(a) Union organizers on private property.
(b) Government money going to unions.
(c) Employer firings of unionizing workers.
(d) Violent removal of striking workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
2. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
3. How did strike organizers in Detroit finally stop scabs from coming?
4. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
5. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)