|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) Theirs was the most popular restaurant in town.
(b) Black communities were not affected by the Depression.
(c) They never had money to begin with.
(d) They never bought on credit.
2. What does Diane personally think about the suffering of the 1930's in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
(a) She thinks the suffering was focused disproportionately on minorities.
(b) She thinks America reaped what it sowed in the 1920's.
(c) She has no opinion.
(d) She thinks it is exaggerated by those who experienced it.
3. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
(a) It became a site of weekly worker protests.
(b) It fell into disrepair.
(c) It was closed by the broke municipal government.
(d) It became a shantytown.
4. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Alf Landon.
(b) Huey Long.
(c) Doctor Townsend.
(d) Father Coughlin.
5. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(a) Water cannon.
(b) Tear gas.
6. What was Bob La Follette's signature issue in the 1928 election?
(a) Military isolation.
(b) Anti-union legislation.
(c) Worker's rights.
(d) Wall Street reform.
7. What demagogic figure of the 1930's did Dawn McCullough despise?
(a) Huey Long.
(b) Father Coughlin.
(c) Franklin Roosevelt.
(d) Bob La Follette.
8. In God Bless' the Child, Slim Collier discusses what effect created by job loss in America?
9. What industry did Jose Yglesia attempt to unionize?
(b) Newspaper printers.
(c) Cigar rollers.
10. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
(a) A military post.
(c) An orphanage.
(d) A boarding school.
11. How does Diana Morgan describe herself at the beginning of her interview?
(a) A habitual instigator.
(b) A lost cause.
(c) A woman of ill repute.
(d) A southern belle.
12. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
13. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(d) Emigrating to Mexico.
14. What did Arthur Robinson do before entering the financial markets?
(a) He was a tobacco picker.
(b) He was a war correspondent.
(c) He was an actor.
(d) He was a school teacher.
15. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
2. In what scant costume did Sally Rand enter the Beaux Arts ball?
3. What recollection does Diana Morgan have that draws tears from her?
4. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
5. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)