|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
(a) His loss of a hand.
(b) His left-leaning views.
(c) The oversaturation of the profession in the 1930's.
(d) His drinking.
2. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Their wives.
(b) The government.
(c) Their faith.
(d) Charity organizations.
3. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A military post.
4. Why was the Michigan governor Frank Murphy branded weak-willed regarding the sit-in strike?
(a) He disappeared from public after condemning the strike.
(b) He did not send in troops.
(c) He came out in support of the union.
(d) He refused to comment on the strike.
5. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
(a) They occupied federal buildings.
(b) They set up tents in the National Mall.
(c) The slept in front of the White House.
(d) They slept in train stations.
6. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
(a) Pig's feet.
(c) Brussel sprouts.
7. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
(a) It became a shantytown.
(b) It became a site of weekly worker protests.
(c) It fell into disrepair.
(d) It was closed by the broke municipal government.
8. In her interview, what does Diana Morgan say never interested her?
(b) The suffering of others.
(c) Political struggle.
(d) The accumulation of money.
9. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(a) Emigrating to Mexico.
10. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
11. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
(a) He provided free healthcare to them.
(b) He wrote op-eds for them.
(c) He contributed thousands to their employment fund.
(d) He lobbied senators and congressmen on their behalf.
12. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
(d) Die work.
13. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To end poverty in California.
(b) To extract public money from industrialists.
(c) To create a work program.
(d) To secede from the US.
14. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
(a) The Boston Globe.
(c) Corn Flakes.
15. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He maintained national forests.
(b) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(c) He assessed people on relief.
(d) He performed on the radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
2. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
3. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
4. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
5. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)