|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
(a) To provide for one's family.
(b) To have influence.
(c) To give to the poor.
(d) To make more money.
2. What about modern America mystifies Diana Morgan?
(a) The widespread use of drugs.
(b) America's involvement with Vietnam.
(c) Those who ignore poverty.
(d) The election of Richard Nixon.
3. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He rode a boxcar.
(b) He hitched rides.
(c) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
(d) He walked the whole way.
4. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
(a) Theirs was the most popular restaurant in town.
(b) They never had money to begin with.
(c) They never bought on credit.
(d) Black communities were not affected by the Depression.
5. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
(a) The knock-knock joke.
(b) The fan dance.
(c) The Charleston.
(d) The penny arcade.
6. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Spanish American War.
(d) The Crimean War.
7. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(c) Emigrating to Mexico.
8. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He performed on the radio.
(b) He maintained national forests.
(c) He assessed people on relief.
(d) He wrote for a national labor journal.
9. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
(b) Alchohol and drugs.
(c) The government.
10. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She was a prostitute.
(b) She made pastries.
(c) She refurbished sofas.
(d) She ran a speakeasy.
11. In God Bless' the Child, Slim Collier discusses what effect created by job loss in America?
12. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) Huey Long's home district.
(b) His high school sweetheart.
(c) The blues.
(d) A real American Hooverville.
13. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
14. How did strike organizers in Detroit finally stop scabs from coming?
(a) They burned a scab's house down.
(b) They nailed shut the factory doors.
(c) They paid scabs not to go to work.
(d) They shut down the highway.
15. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
(a) A boarding school.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A military post.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
2. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
3. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
4. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
5. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)