|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
(b) Radio advertising.
(c) Sponsoring shorts before films.
(d) Direct mail.
2. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
(c) Pig's feet.
(d) Brussel sprouts.
3. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
(a) Primary school teacher.
(b) Railway worker.
(c) Union organizer.
(d) Social worker.
4. What about modern America mystifies Diana Morgan?
(a) The widespread use of drugs.
(b) The election of Richard Nixon.
(c) Those who ignore poverty.
(d) America's involvement with Vietnam.
5. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
(b) Celebrity photography.
(d) Hardcore pornography.
6. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(b) Blacks were actually better off.
(c) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
(d) Blacks were always worse off.
7. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
(a) Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
(b) Sixteen Tons.
(c) Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries.
(d) We're In the Money.
8. According to Doc Graham, what was the only good thing Roosevelt did?
(a) Repeal Prohibition.
(b) Get Hoover out of office.
(d) Pass the WPO.
9. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
(a) A poet.
(b) An entertainer.
(c) A labor organizer.
(d) A priest.
10. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They ran a hotel.
(b) They were actuaries.
(c) They worked for a newspaper.
(d) They worked a farm.
11. How did strike organizers in Detroit finally stop scabs from coming?
(a) They burned a scab's house down.
(b) They shut down the highway.
(c) They nailed shut the factory doors.
(d) They paid scabs not to go to work.
12. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A rigged casino.
(b) A candy store.
(c) A private club.
(d) A Roman orgy.
13. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
(a) A boarding school.
(c) A military post.
(d) An orphanage.
14. What demagogic figure of the 1930's did Dawn McCullough despise?
(a) Bob La Follette.
(b) Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) Huey Long.
(d) Father Coughlin.
15. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
(a) Vincent Canby.
(b) Roger Ebert.
(c) Gene Siskel.
(d) Pauline Kael.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
2. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
3. What did Arthur Robinson do before entering the financial markets?
4. Where does the sit in of Three Strikes take place?
5. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)