|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
(a) The Secretary of Education.
(b) A Republican governor of Wisconsin.
(c) The owner of a chain of delis.
(d) A military advisor to Hoover.
2. What about modern America mystifies Diana Morgan?
(a) The election of Richard Nixon.
(b) The widespread use of drugs.
(c) America's involvement with Vietnam.
(d) Those who ignore poverty.
3. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A new sweater.
(b) A trip to the movies.
(c) A bed.
(d) A hot meal.
4. What inversion of racial relationships happened regarding Robin Langston's father during the Depression?
(a) White neighbors hocked their radios to him.
(b) He was allowed to join the pipe-fitters' union.
(c) He began hiring white workers.
(d) He was invited to move into a whites-only neighborhood.
5. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
(a) They were folk heroes.
(b) They were barely talked about.
(c) They were commodities to be sold.
(d) They were boogeymen.
6. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
(b) He rode a boxcar.
(c) He walked the whole way.
(d) He hitched rides.
7. How did Phyllis Mortimer's brother feel about her working in the 1930's?
8. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
(b) Sponsoring shorts before films.
(c) Radio advertising.
(d) Direct mail.
9. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
(a) Brussel sprouts.
(c) Pig's feet.
10. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
(a) An entertainer.
(b) A poet.
(c) A labor organizer.
(d) A priest.
11. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(a) Tear gas.
(c) Water cannon.
12. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They were actuaries.
(b) They worked for a newspaper.
(c) They ran a hotel.
(d) They worked a farm.
13. In his interview, Doc Graham says that in the 1930's he was the country's best what?
(a) Pitch man.
(b) Door-to-door salesman.
(d) Con man.
14. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Radio performer.
(b) Dustbin salesman.
(c) Advertising copy editor.
(d) Circus booker.
15. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
(a) John Kennedy.
(b) Curtis LeMay.
(c) Dwight Eisenhower.
(d) George Patton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
2. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
3. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
4. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
5. What did Bob Leary's father do during much of the Depression to avoid going crazy?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)