|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the Michigan governor Frank Murphy branded weak-willed regarding the sit-in strike?
(a) He refused to comment on the strike.
(b) He disappeared from public after condemning the strike.
(c) He came out in support of the union.
(d) He did not send in troops.
2. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
(a) The Secretary of Education.
(b) A military advisor to Hoover.
(c) A Republican governor of Wisconsin.
(d) The owner of a chain of delis.
3. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
(a) His drinking.
(b) The oversaturation of the profession in the 1930's.
(c) His loss of a hand.
(d) His left-leaning views.
4. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
5. What inversion of racial relationships happened regarding Robin Langston's father during the Depression?
(a) He began hiring white workers.
(b) White neighbors hocked their radios to him.
(c) He was allowed to join the pipe-fitters' union.
(d) He was invited to move into a whites-only neighborhood.
6. According to Doc Graham, what was the only good thing Roosevelt did?
(b) Pass the WPO.
(c) Repeal Prohibition.
(d) Get Hoover out of office.
7. What did Arthur Robinson do before entering the financial markets?
(a) He was a school teacher.
(b) He was a war correspondent.
(c) He was a tobacco picker.
(d) He was an actor.
8. What about modern America mystifies Diana Morgan?
(a) Those who ignore poverty.
(b) The election of Richard Nixon.
(c) America's involvement with Vietnam.
(d) The widespread use of drugs.
9. What industry did Jose Yglesia attempt to unionize?
(b) Newspaper printers.
(d) Cigar rollers.
10. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
(a) The porters are given a vote and they vote against the union.
(b) They are all fired.
(c) Only NIxon's train line is unionized.
(d) The union is instituted.
11. In her interview, what does Diana Morgan say never interested her?
(b) The suffering of others.
(c) Political struggle.
(d) The accumulation of money.
12. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
(a) Curtis LeMay.
(b) George Patton.
(c) John Kennedy.
(d) Dwight Eisenhower.
13. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
14. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt came from money.
(b) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(c) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
(d) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
15. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(b) The New Republic.
(c) Literary Digest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
2. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
3. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
4. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
5. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)