|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
(a) Military services.
(c) Financial sector.
(d) University administration.
2. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) An African prince.
(b) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(c) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(d) Medgar Evers.
3. Which of the following areas of political study is not discussed in Hard Times?
(a) Truman's transition to the presidency.
(b) Alf Landon's 1936 presidential campaign.
(c) Roosevelt's decision to run for a third term.
(d) Roosevelt's attempt to pack the Supreme Court.
4. Where did Max R. Naiman and his worker's rights clients end up sleeping after he got them acquitted?
(a) A YMCA.
(b) A city park.
(c) A boxcar.
(d) On the steps of the courthouse.
5. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They worked a farm.
(b) They ran a hotel.
(c) They worked for a newspaper.
(d) They were actuaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Reed's father want Reed to go for his post-graduate vacation?
2. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
3. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
4. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
5. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)