|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: The Fine and Lively Arts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides attempting to change the makeup of the Supreme Court, what Roosevelt decision does James Farley say alienated people in the administration?
(a) Running for a third term.
(b) Not revealing his health problems to the public.
(c) Entering World War II.
(d) Creating the NRA.
2. How did strike organizers in Detroit finally stop scabs from coming?
(a) They paid scabs not to go to work.
(b) They shut down the highway.
(c) They nailed shut the factory doors.
(d) They burned a scab's house down.
3. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(b) To track the places they have been.
(c) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(d) To say hello to loved ones.
4. Who was the head of the red-baiting committee that investigated New Deal administrators in the 1930's?
(a) Joseph McCarthy.
(b) C. Wright Patman.
(c) Martin Dies.
(d) Stanley Fish.
5. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
(a) To stimulate growth.
(b) To promote innovation.
(c) To make one feel useful.
(d) To keep people out of trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
2. What does Edward Burgess discuss buying at the beginning of his interview in Merely Passing Through?
3. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
4. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
5. What moment excited Wilbur Kane to the point of mocking his German neighbors?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)