|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: The Fine and Lively Arts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
(b) Company vouchers.
(d) Food rations.
2. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
(a) They were folk heroes.
(b) They were boogeymen.
(c) They were commodities to be sold.
(d) They were barely talked about.
3. What moment excited Wilbur Kane to the point of mocking his German neighbors?
(a) Joe Louis's victory over Schmeling.
(b) The death of Adolf Hitler.
(c) Jesse Owens' win in the Berlin Olympics.
(d) America entering the War.
4. What industry did Jose Yglesia attempt to unionize?
(b) Cigar rollers.
(d) Newspaper printers.
5. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Radio performer.
(b) Advertising copy editor.
(c) Circus booker.
(d) Dustbin salesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
2. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
3. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
4. What did Bob Leary's father do during much of the Depression to avoid going crazy?
5. Of what sixties-era organization is Robert A. Baird's son Peter a member?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)