|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: The Fine and Lively Arts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) The Great Gatsby.
(b) Democracy in America.
(c) Les Miserables.
(d) Grapes of Wrath.
2. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
(b) Die work.
3. What controversial action did the Rural Rehabilitation Division undertake in the 1930's?
(a) It slaughtered thousands of cows.
(b) It tried to buy out General Mills.
(c) It combined farms under a federal banner.
(d) It nationalized the dairy industry.
4. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
(a) The fan dance.
(b) The penny arcade.
(c) The knock-knock joke.
(d) The Charleston.
5. What did an industrialist ask Gordon Baxter to destroy for him?
(a) Anti-union pamphlets.
(b) Dossiers on his workers.
(c) A union card.
(d) A cudgel used to kill a union leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
2. What does Wilbur Kane remember most vividly about Franklin Roosevelt?
3. What happened to one of Daisy Singer's favorite parks during the Depression?
4. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
5. What recollection does Diana Morgan have that draws tears from her?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)