|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: The Fine and Lively Arts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
(a) Sixteen Tons.
(b) Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries.
(c) Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
(d) We're In the Money.
2. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
(a) Chorus diver in movies.
(b) Door girl for a speakeasy.
(c) Card girl at boxing matches.
(d) Switchboard operator for an advertising firm.
3. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
(a) They occupied federal buildings.
(b) The slept in front of the White House.
(c) They set up tents in the National Mall.
(d) They slept in train stations.
4. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A new sweater.
(b) A bed.
(c) A hot meal.
(d) A trip to the movies.
5. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
(b) Stalin's purges.
(c) The Cultural Revolution.
(d) The Hitler-Stalin Pact.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marked Long's second-in-command Gerald Smith regarding his speeches?
2. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
3. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
4. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
5. Who does Billy Green credit with his success in business?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)