|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: The Fine and Lively Arts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(b) It demeans her life experience.
(c) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(d) It ignores the political reality of the events.
2. What does Edward Burgess say he never saw in Chicago in the 1930's?
(a) Speakeasy raids.
(b) Bread lines.
(c) Union strikes.
(d) Apple carts.
3. What does Edward Burgess discuss buying at the beginning of his interview in Merely Passing Through?
(a) A Studebaker.
(b) A pair of Florsheim shoes.
(c) A rack of lamb.
(d) A yacht.
4. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
(b) Roosevelt came from money.
(c) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
(d) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
5. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) The blues.
(b) Huey Long's home district.
(c) A real American Hooverville.
(d) His high school sweetheart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marked Long's second-in-command Gerald Smith regarding his speeches?
2. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
3. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
4. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
5. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)