|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Scarlet Banners and Novenas, The Doctor, Huey and Mr. Smith, The Circuit Rider, The Gentleman from Kansas, A View of the Woods, Campus Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
(a) They were commodities to be sold.
(b) They were boogeymen.
(c) They were barely talked about.
(d) They were folk heroes.
2. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
(b) The Boston Globe.
(c) Corn Flakes.
3. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
(a) To keep an eye out for union organizers.
(b) To keep Japanese Americans out of it.
(c) To stop mobs threatening to burn it down.
(d) To ensure that blacks were being fairly served.
4. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
(a) Social worker.
(b) Union organizer.
(c) Primary school teacher.
(d) Railway worker.
5. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
(a) A Republican governor of Wisconsin.
(b) A military advisor to Hoover.
(c) The Secretary of Education.
(d) The owner of a chain of delis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Roosevelt trying to prevent with the Bank Holiday?
2. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
3. According to historian Christopher Lasch, what was never a serious possibility in the Depression?
4. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
5. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)