|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Scarlet Banners and Novenas, The Doctor, Huey and Mr. Smith, The Circuit Rider, The Gentleman from Kansas, A View of the Woods, Campus Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
(a) Switching out workers every 8 hours.
(b) Spraying down shafts.
(c) Ventilating mines.
(d) Offering medical examinations.
2. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A birthright.
(b) A mark of holiness.
(c) A personal failing.
(d) A sin.
3. According to Fred Thompson, what did Wobblies constantly have to prove they were not?
4. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Their faith.
(b) The government.
(c) Charity organizations.
(d) Their wives.
5. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(b) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(c) It demeans her life experience.
(d) It ignores the political reality of the events.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
2. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
3. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
4. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
5. Dr. Francis Townsend's ideas eventually became the groundwork for what?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)