|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Scarlet Banners and Novenas, The Doctor, Huey and Mr. Smith, The Circuit Rider, The Gentleman from Kansas, A View of the Woods, Campus Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inversion of racial relationships happened regarding Robin Langston's father during the Depression?
(a) He was invited to move into a whites-only neighborhood.
(b) He was allowed to join the pipe-fitters' union.
(c) He began hiring white workers.
(d) White neighbors hocked their radios to him.
2. What was Dorothea Lange's profession?
(d) Newspaper columnist.
3. Aaron Barkham informs the reader of what strange practice of certain clans within the Appalachian Ku Klux Klan?
(a) They spoke Gaelic to each other.
(b) They had black members.
(c) They were entirely composed of women.
(d) They had bake sales.
4. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
(a) He lobbied senators and congressmen on their behalf.
(b) He wrote op-eds for them.
(c) He contributed thousands to their employment fund.
(d) He provided free healthcare to them.
5. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were always worse off.
(b) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(c) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
(d) Blacks were actually better off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
2. Why did Huey Long not run for president in 1936?
3. According to historian Christopher Lasch, what was never a serious possibility in the Depression?
4. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
5. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)