|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Scarlet Banners and Novenas, The Doctor, Huey and Mr. Smith, The Circuit Rider, The Gentleman from Kansas, A View of the Woods, Campus Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
(a) To provide for one's family.
(b) To have influence.
(c) To make more money.
(d) To give to the poor.
2. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
(a) He wrote op-eds for them.
(b) He provided free healthcare to them.
(c) He lobbied senators and congressmen on their behalf.
(d) He contributed thousands to their employment fund.
3. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(b) To say hello to loved ones.
(c) To track the places they have been.
(d) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
4. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(b) It demeans her life experience.
(c) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(d) It ignores the political reality of the events.
5. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
(a) Those who were poor already.
(b) Black people.
(c) Those who thought it foolproof.
(d) The financial giants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Roosevelt trying to prevent with the Bank Holiday?
2. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
3. Who was the head of the red-baiting committee that investigated New Deal administrators in the 1930's?
4. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
5. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)