|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Scarlet Banners and Novenas, The Doctor, Huey and Mr. Smith, The Circuit Rider, The Gentleman from Kansas, A View of the Woods, Campus Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
(a) The slept in front of the White House.
(b) They set up tents in the National Mall.
(c) They slept in train stations.
(d) They occupied federal buildings.
2. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
(a) The Cultural Revolution.
(b) The Hitler-Stalin Pact.
(c) Pearl Harbor.
(d) Stalin's purges.
3. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
(a) The porters are given a vote and they vote against the union.
(b) Only NIxon's train line is unionized.
(c) The union is instituted.
(d) They are all fired.
4. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
5. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
(a) When Roosevelt died.
(b) When the stock market crashed.
(c) When America entered World War II.
(d) The seventies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
2. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
3. How did Phyllis Mortimer's brother feel about her working in the 1930's?
4. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
5. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)