|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Scarlet Banners and Novenas, The Doctor, Huey and Mr. Smith, The Circuit Rider, The Gentleman from Kansas, A View of the Woods, Campus Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
(b) Blacks were actually better off.
(c) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(d) Blacks were always worse off.
2. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
(a) Primary school teacher.
(b) Railway worker.
(c) Union organizer.
(d) Social worker.
3. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
(a) The Crimean War.
(b) The Spanish American War.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
4. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
(a) Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries.
(b) Sixteen Tons.
(c) Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
(d) We're In the Money.
5. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
(a) They occupied federal buildings.
(b) They slept in train stations.
(c) They set up tents in the National Mall.
(d) The slept in front of the White House.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
2. What does Diane personally think about the suffering of the 1930's in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
3. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
4. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
5. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)