|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Scarlet Banners and Novenas, The Doctor, Huey and Mr. Smith, The Circuit Rider, The Gentleman from Kansas, A View of the Woods, Campus Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were the collectivized camps outside of urban centers closed?
(a) When America entered World War II.
(b) When Roosevelt died.
(c) The seventies.
(d) When the stock market crashed.
2. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A trip to the movies.
(b) A bed.
(c) A hot meal.
(d) A new sweater.
3. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
(a) To keep Japanese Americans out of it.
(b) To keep an eye out for union organizers.
(c) To ensure that blacks were being fairly served.
(d) To stop mobs threatening to burn it down.
4. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
5. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
(a) They occupied federal buildings.
(b) The slept in front of the White House.
(c) They set up tents in the National Mall.
(d) They slept in train stations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
2. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
3. What marked Long's second-in-command Gerald Smith regarding his speeches?
4. What dubious art did Jerome Zerbe develop in the 1930's?
5. What about modern America mystifies Diana Morgan?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)