|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3: Scarlet Banners and Novenas, The Doctor, Huey and Mr. Smith, The Circuit Rider, The Gentleman from Kansas, A View of the Woods, Campus Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
(a) The Wobblies.
(b) The Communists.
(c) The Catholic Workers.
(d) The CIO.
2. What recollection does Diana Morgan have that draws tears from her?
(a) Her father's death.
(b) Interviewing her former maid for relief.
(c) Losing her house.
(d) Having to stand on line for a job.
3. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
(a) Food rations.
(b) Company vouchers.
4. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
(a) The Charleston.
(b) The penny arcade.
(c) The knock-knock joke.
(d) The fan dance.
5. What inversion of racial relationships happened regarding Robin Langston's father during the Depression?
(a) White neighbors hocked their radios to him.
(b) He began hiring white workers.
(c) He was allowed to join the pipe-fitters' union.
(d) He was invited to move into a whites-only neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
2. According to Max Shachtman, what international event ended credibility for Communism in the United States?
3. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
4. In whose administration was David Kennedy the Secretary of the Treasury?
5. In his interview, Doc Graham says that in the 1930's he was the country's best what?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)