|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Old Families, Member of the Chorus, High Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Win Stracke lose his work as a balladeer?
(a) His loss of a hand.
(b) His left-leaning views.
(c) The oversaturation of the profession in the 1930's.
(d) His drinking.
2. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
(a) The Communists.
(b) The Catholic Workers.
(c) The CIO.
(d) The Wobblies.
3. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A Roman orgy.
(b) A candy store.
(c) A rigged casino.
(d) A private club.
4. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A bed.
(b) A new sweater.
(c) A trip to the movies.
(d) A hot meal.
5. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Doctor Townsend.
(b) Alf Landon.
(c) Father Coughlin.
(d) Huey Long.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Doc Graham, what was the public's attitude toward figures like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger in the 1930's?
2. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
3. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
4. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
5. In what scant costume did Sally Rand enter the Beaux Arts ball?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)