|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Old Families, Member of the Chorus, High Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A personal failing.
(b) A mark of holiness.
(c) A sin.
(d) A birthright.
2. What did Bob Leary's father do during much of the Depression to avoid going crazy?
(a) Redo the upholstery of a car.
(b) Have an affair.
(c) Paint a house.
(d) Fish at a nearby lake.
3. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
4. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
(a) Corn growers.
(b) Auto workers.
(c) Jazz musicians.
5. Why was the Michigan governor Frank Murphy branded weak-willed regarding the sit-in strike?
(a) He did not send in troops.
(b) He came out in support of the union.
(c) He disappeared from public after condemning the strike.
(d) He refused to comment on the strike.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
2. How did strike organizers in Detroit finally stop scabs from coming?
3. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
4. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
5. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)