|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Old Families, Member of the Chorus, High Life.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Democracy in America.
(b) The Great Gatsby.
(c) Grapes of Wrath.
(d) Les Miserables.
2. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
(a) In a Swiss account.
(b) Under his mattress.
(c) In a coffee can.
(d) In his sock.
3. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
(a) The Charleston.
(b) The penny arcade.
(c) The knock-knock joke.
(d) The fan dance.
4. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Alf Landon.
(b) Huey Long.
(c) Father Coughlin.
(d) Doctor Townsend.
5. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) An African prince.
(d) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
2. In God Bless' the Child, Slim Collier discusses what effect created by job loss in America?
3. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
4. What was Bob La Follette's signature issue in the 1928 election?
5. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)