|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Bonnie Laboring Boy, Three Strikes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A personal failing.
(b) A sin.
(c) A mark of holiness.
(d) A birthright.
2. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
(a) Union organizers on private property.
(b) Violent removal of striking workers.
(c) Government money going to unions.
(d) Employer firings of unionizing workers.
3. Why was the Michigan governor Frank Murphy branded weak-willed regarding the sit-in strike?
(a) He disappeared from public after condemning the strike.
(b) He refused to comment on the strike.
(c) He came out in support of the union.
(d) He did not send in troops.
4. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
(a) The government.
(d) Alchohol and drugs.
5. What demagogic figure of the 1930's did Dawn McCullough despise?
(a) Bob La Follette.
(b) Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) Huey Long.
(d) Father Coughlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
2. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
3. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
4. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
5. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)