|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Bonnie Laboring Boy, Three Strikes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were always worse off.
(b) Blacks were actually better off.
(c) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(d) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
2. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
(a) To make more money.
(b) To provide for one's family.
(c) To give to the poor.
(d) To have influence.
3. How did strike organizers in Detroit finally stop scabs from coming?
(a) They shut down the highway.
(b) They burned a scab's house down.
(c) They paid scabs not to go to work.
(d) They nailed shut the factory doors.
4. What industry did Jose Yglesia attempt to unionize?
(a) Cigar rollers.
(c) Newspaper printers.
5. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A hot meal.
(b) A bed.
(c) A trip to the movies.
(d) A new sweater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
2. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
3. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
4. In God Bless' the Child, Slim Collier discusses what effect created by job loss in America?
5. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)