|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Bonnie Laboring Boy, Three Strikes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She ran a speakeasy.
(b) She refurbished sofas.
(c) She made pastries.
(d) She was a prostitute.
2. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
(a) Chorus diver in movies.
(b) Card girl at boxing matches.
(c) Switchboard operator for an advertising firm.
(d) Door girl for a speakeasy.
3. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Crimean War.
(c) The Spanish American War.
(d) World War I.
4. How does E.D. Nixon's campaign to unionize the sleeping car porters end?
(a) Only NIxon's train line is unionized.
(b) They are all fired.
(c) The porters are given a vote and they vote against the union.
(d) The union is instituted.
5. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
(a) Sponsoring shorts before films.
(b) Radio advertising.
(c) Direct mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dr. David J. Rossman, what did psychoanalysis not acknowledge regarding patient distress in the 1930's?
2. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
3. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
4. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
5. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)