|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(b) To track the places they have been.
(c) To say hello to loved ones.
(d) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
2. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Grapes of Wrath.
(b) Les Miserables.
(c) The Great Gatsby.
(d) Democracy in America.
3. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
4. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A birthright.
(b) A mark of holiness.
(c) A sin.
(d) A personal failing.
5. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
(a) Radio advertising.
(b) Direct mail.
(d) Sponsoring shorts before films.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
2. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
3. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
4. According to Dr. David J. Rossman, what did psychoanalysis not acknowledge regarding patient distress in the 1930's?
5. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)