|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(b) He maintained national forests.
(c) He assessed people on relief.
(d) He performed on the radio.
2. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Democracy in America.
(b) Les Miserables.
(c) Grapes of Wrath.
(d) The Great Gatsby.
3. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) Medgar Evers.
(b) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(c) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(d) An African prince.
4. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
5. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
2. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
3. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
4. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
5. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)