|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
(a) We're In the Money.
(b) Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries.
(c) Sixteen Tons.
(d) Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
2. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
(a) Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) Curtis LeMay.
(c) George Patton.
(d) John Kennedy.
3. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
(a) Union organizer.
(b) Railway worker.
(c) Primary school teacher.
(d) Social worker.
4. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To extract public money from industrialists.
(b) To secede from the US.
(c) To create a work program.
(d) To end poverty in California.
5. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She ran a speakeasy.
(b) She refurbished sofas.
(c) She made pastries.
(d) She was a prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
2. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
3. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
4. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
5. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)