|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
(b) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(c) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
(d) Roosevelt came from money.
2. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
(a) Corn growers.
(b) Jazz musicians.
(c) Auto workers.
3. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A personal failing.
(b) A mark of holiness.
(c) A birthright.
(d) A sin.
4. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(b) To say hello to loved ones.
(c) To track the places they have been.
(d) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
5. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Grapes of Wrath.
(b) Democracy in America.
(c) Les Miserables.
(d) The Great Gatsby.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
2. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
3. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
4. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
5. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)