|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were always worse off.
(b) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(c) Blacks were actually better off.
(d) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
2. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
(b) Their parents.
(c) Their grandparents.
(d) Their school.
3. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To extract public money from industrialists.
(b) To secede from the US.
(c) To end poverty in California.
(d) To create a work program.
4. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A mark of holiness.
(b) A sin.
(c) A birthright.
(d) A personal failing.
5. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Democracy in America.
(b) Les Miserables.
(c) Grapes of Wrath.
(d) The Great Gatsby.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
2. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
3. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
4. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
5. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)