|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
(a) Radio advertising.
(b) Sponsoring shorts before films.
(c) Direct mail.
2. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Charity organizations.
(b) The government.
(c) Their faith.
(d) Their wives.
3. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A personal failing.
(b) A sin.
(c) A birthright.
(d) A mark of holiness.
4. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(c) Her family.
(d) Her sense of patriotism.
5. What product did Benton manage after the Depression?
(a) The Boston Globe.
(c) Corn Flakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
2. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
3. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
4. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
5. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)