|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She refurbished sofas.
(b) She made pastries.
(c) She ran a speakeasy.
(d) She was a prostitute.
2. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Their faith.
(b) The government.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Charity organizations.
3. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
4. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(b) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(c) It ignores the political reality of the events.
(d) It demeans her life experience.
5. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) The blues.
(b) A real American Hooverville.
(c) Huey Long's home district.
(d) His high school sweetheart.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
2. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
3. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
4. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
5. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)