|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To create a work program.
(b) To secede from the US.
(c) To end poverty in California.
(d) To extract public money from industrialists.
2. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) An African prince.
(d) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
3. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(a) Water cannon.
(c) Tear gas.
4. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He hitched rides.
(b) He walked the whole way.
(c) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
(d) He rode a boxcar.
5. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
2. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
3. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
4. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
5. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)