|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A personal failing.
(b) A sin.
(c) A birthright.
(d) A mark of holiness.
2. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) The blues.
(b) His high school sweetheart.
(c) Huey Long's home district.
(d) A real American Hooverville.
3. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
(a) Jazz musicians.
(b) Corn growers.
(d) Auto workers.
4. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He maintained national forests.
(b) He assessed people on relief.
(c) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(d) He performed on the radio.
5. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
(b) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(c) Roosevelt came from money.
(d) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
2. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
3. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
4. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
5. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)