|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
(b) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
(c) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(d) Roosevelt came from money.
2. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) Huey Long's home district.
(b) A real American Hooverville.
(c) His high school sweetheart.
(d) The blues.
3. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
(b) Their school.
(c) Their grandparents.
(d) Their parents.
4. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(b) Literary Digest.
(d) The New Republic.
5. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
(a) To keep people out of trouble.
(b) To stimulate growth.
(c) To promote innovation.
(d) To make one feel useful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
2. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
3. What advertising outlet did William Benton exploit, making him his fortune?
4. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
5. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)