|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(b) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(c) It ignores the political reality of the events.
(d) It demeans her life experience.
2. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
(a) Railway worker.
(b) Primary school teacher.
(c) Union organizer.
(d) Social worker.
3. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To secede from the US.
(b) To create a work program.
(c) To extract public money from industrialists.
(d) To end poverty in California.
4. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To say hello to loved ones.
(b) To track the places they have been.
(c) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(d) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
5. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
(a) Auto workers.
(c) Jazz musicians.
(d) Corn growers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
2. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
3. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
4. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
5. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)