|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
(a) Pauline Kael.
(b) Roger Ebert.
(c) Vincent Canby.
(d) Gene Siskel.
2. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(c) Her sense of patriotism.
(d) Her family.
3. How did Jim Sheridan travel to the Bonus March?
(a) He walked the whole way.
(b) He rode a boxcar.
(c) He joined a caravan of jalopies.
(d) He hitched rides.
4. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
(a) Black people.
(b) Those who were poor already.
(c) The financial giants.
(d) Those who thought it foolproof.
5. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
(b) Roosevelt came from money.
(c) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(d) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
2. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
3. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
4. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
5. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)