|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were always worse off.
(b) Blacks were actually better off.
(c) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(d) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
2. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(b) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(c) To say hello to loved ones.
(d) To track the places they have been.
3. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They were actuaries.
(b) They worked for a newspaper.
(c) They ran a hotel.
(d) They worked a farm.
4. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
(a) Vincent Canby.
(b) Pauline Kael.
(c) Roger Ebert.
(d) Gene Siskel.
5. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(d) An African prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
2. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
3. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
4. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
5. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)