|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
(a) University administration.
(b) Financial sector.
(c) Military services.
2. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To create a work program.
(b) To end poverty in California.
(c) To extract public money from industrialists.
(d) To secede from the US.
3. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Advertising copy editor.
(b) Circus booker.
(c) Dustbin salesman.
(d) Radio performer.
4. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) An African prince.
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(d) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
5. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
(a) A poet.
(b) A priest.
(c) A labor organizer.
(d) An entertainer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
2. What does Diane personally think about the suffering of the 1930's in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
3. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
4. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
5. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)