|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(a) The New Republic.
(b) Literary Digest.
2. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
(a) A labor organizer.
(b) A poet.
(c) A priest.
(d) An entertainer.
3. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Democracy in America.
(b) Les Miserables.
(c) The Great Gatsby.
(d) Grapes of Wrath.
4. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were always worse off.
(b) Blacks were actually better off.
(c) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
(d) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
5. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
(a) The financial giants.
(b) Those who thought it foolproof.
(c) Black people.
(d) Those who were poor already.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
2. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
3. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
4. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
5. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)