|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A mark of holiness.
(b) A birthright.
(c) A personal failing.
(d) A sin.
2. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(b) An African prince.
(c) Medgar Evers.
(d) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
3. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(b) It ignores the political reality of the events.
(c) It demeans her life experience.
(d) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
4. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) His high school sweetheart.
(b) The blues.
(c) Huey Long's home district.
(d) A real American Hooverville.
5. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(b) He performed on the radio.
(c) He assessed people on relief.
(d) He maintained national forests.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
2. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
3. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
4. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
5. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)