|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Les Miserables.
(b) The Great Gatsby.
(c) Grapes of Wrath.
(d) Democracy in America.
2. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
(a) Dwight Eisenhower.
(b) Curtis LeMay.
(c) George Patton.
(d) John Kennedy.
3. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
4. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She ran a speakeasy.
(b) She refurbished sofas.
(c) She was a prostitute.
(d) She made pastries.
5. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Advertising copy editor.
(b) Circus booker.
(c) Dustbin salesman.
(d) Radio performer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
2. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
3. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
4. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
5. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)