|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(c) Emigrating to Mexico.
2. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(c) The New Republic.
(d) Literary Digest.
3. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
(a) They occupied federal buildings.
(b) They slept in train stations.
(c) The slept in front of the White House.
(d) They set up tents in the National Mall.
4. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) Medgar Evers.
(b) An African prince.
(c) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(d) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
5. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) His high school sweetheart.
(b) The blues.
(c) A real American Hooverville.
(d) Huey Long's home district.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
2. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
3. What does Diane personally think about the suffering of the 1930's in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
4. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
5. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)