|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Radio performer.
(b) Dustbin salesman.
(c) Advertising copy editor.
(d) Circus booker.
2. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(c) Her family.
(d) Her sense of patriotism.
3. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(b) An African prince.
(c) Medgar Evers.
(d) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
4. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
(a) The financial giants.
(b) Those who were poor already.
(c) Black people.
(d) Those who thought it foolproof.
5. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Father Coughlin.
(b) Huey Long.
(c) Alf Landon.
(d) Doctor Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
2. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
3. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
4. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
5. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)