|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
(b) University administration.
(c) Financial sector.
(d) Military services.
2. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(c) Her family.
(d) Her sense of patriotism.
3. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
(a) Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?
(b) Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries.
(c) Sixteen Tons.
(d) We're In the Money.
4. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) An African prince.
(d) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
5. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They worked for a newspaper.
(b) They were actuaries.
(c) They worked a farm.
(d) They ran a hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
2. What young officer assisted MacArthur in dispersing the Bonus Marchers?
3. What does Diane personally think about the suffering of the 1930's in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
4. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
5. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)