|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
2. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He maintained national forests.
(b) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(c) He assessed people on relief.
(d) He performed on the radio.
3. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) A real American Hooverville.
(b) His high school sweetheart.
(c) The blues.
(d) Huey Long's home district.
4. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
5. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(b) An African prince.
(c) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(d) Medgar Evers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
2. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
3. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
4. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
5. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)