|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(b) Literary Digest.
(d) The New Republic.
2. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
3. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She was a prostitute.
(b) She made pastries.
(c) She refurbished sofas.
(d) She ran a speakeasy.
4. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Advertising copy editor.
(b) Radio performer.
(c) Dustbin salesman.
(d) Circus booker.
5. What does Diane personally think about the suffering of the 1930's in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
(a) She thinks the suffering was focused disproportionately on minorities.
(b) She has no opinion.
(c) She thinks America reaped what it sowed in the 1920's.
(d) She thinks it is exaggerated by those who experienced it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
2. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
3. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
4. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
5. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)