|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
(b) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(c) Medgar Evers.
(d) An African prince.
2. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(a) The New Republic.
(b) Literary Digest.
3. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A boarding school.
(c) A military post.
4. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
(a) Those who were poor already.
(b) Those who thought it foolproof.
(c) The financial giants.
(d) Black people.
5. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
2. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
3. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
4. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
5. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)