|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
2. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
3. How old was Ed Paulson when he took to the road?
4. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She ran a speakeasy.
(b) She made pastries.
(c) She was a prostitute.
(d) She refurbished sofas.
5. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(b) To track the places they have been.
(c) To say hello to loved ones.
(d) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
2. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
3. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
4. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
5. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)