|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) It demeans her life experience.
(b) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(c) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(d) It ignores the political reality of the events.
2. During the Depression, why did farmers systematically stop corn deliveries?
(a) To highlight their struggle to survive.
(b) To feed locals.
(c) The avoid the spread of colic.
(d) To boost the price.
3. What inversion of racial relationships happened regarding Robin Langston's father during the Depression?
(a) He was allowed to join the pipe-fitters' union.
(b) White neighbors hocked their radios to him.
(c) He was invited to move into a whites-only neighborhood.
(d) He began hiring white workers.
4. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
(a) Roger Ebert.
(b) Gene Siskel.
(c) Vincent Canby.
(d) Pauline Kael.
5. To whom did Myrna Loy send her infamous wire?
(a) A Soviet defector.
(d) A Czech dissident.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what was the state of coal miners before the Depression?
2. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
3. At the very end of Hard Times, what does Virginia Durr say the kids call her?
4. What did Arthur Robinson do before entering the financial markets?
5. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)