|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Bonnie Laboring Boy, Three Strikes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) His high school sweetheart.
(b) A real American Hooverville.
(c) Huey Long's home district.
(d) The blues.
2. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He maintained national forests.
(b) He assessed people on relief.
(c) He performed on the radio.
(d) He wrote for a national labor journal.
3. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
(a) Those who thought it foolproof.
(b) Those who were poor already.
(c) Black people.
(d) The financial giants.
4. According to Terkel in the Introduction, what voice dominated the radio alongside Roosevelt's during the Depression?
(a) Doctor Townsend.
(b) Father Coughlin.
(c) Huey Long.
(d) Alf Landon.
5. What did Jane Yoder consider a luxury during the Depression?
(a) A bed.
(b) A new sweater.
(c) A hot meal.
(d) A trip to the movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
2. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
3. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
4. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
5. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)