Eight Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: Hard Travelin'.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(b) Literary Digest.
(d) The New Republic.
2. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(b) Water cannon.
(d) Tear gas.
3. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks were actually better off.
(b) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
(c) Blacks were always worse off.
(d) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
4. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
(a) Her family.
(b) Her sense of patriotism.
5. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(b) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(c) It ignores the political reality of the events.
(d) It demeans her life experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
2. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
3. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
4. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
5. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)