|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Public Servant - The City, Evictions, Arrests and Other Running Sores.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was different about a teachers' strike in the 1930's?
(a) They continued to teach throughout.
(b) They protested in private, writing letters.
(c) They left town for fear of violent reprisal.
(d) They protested at City Hall, not the schools.
2. How did some states begin paying public school teachers in the 1930's?
(a) With IOU's.
(b) With Canadian money.
(c) With food.
(d) With store vouchers.
3. In Three o'Clock in the Morning, Wilbur Kane's mother was bitter about the invasion of what?
(c) The Sudetanland
4. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
(a) To ensure that blacks were being fairly served.
(b) To keep Japanese Americans out of it.
(c) To keep an eye out for union organizers.
(d) To stop mobs threatening to burn it down.
5. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
(a) Alchohol and drugs.
(b) The government.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Phyllis Mortimer's brother feel about her working in the 1930's?
2. Where did some vets stay in Washington, DC during the Bonus March besides the Hoovervilles?
3. What was Bob La Follette's signature issue in the 1928 election?
4. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
5. What does Edward Burgess discuss buying at the beginning of his interview in Merely Passing Through?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)