|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Public Servant - The City, Evictions, Arrests and Other Running Sores.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alf Landon say he disliked about Roosevelt's New Deal?
(a) Its centralization of executive power.
(b) The Stalinist collectivism.
(c) The nationalization of industry.
(d) Almost nothing.
2. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
(a) They refuse to speak frankly to her about it.
(b) It demeans her life experience.
(c) It ignores the racial reality of the events.
(d) It ignores the political reality of the events.
3. What legendary artist of the twentieth century directed The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) John Gielgud.
(b) Orson Welles.
(c) Lee Strasburg.
(d) Lawrence Olivier.
4. What memory makes Elsa Ponselle laugh during her interview in Public Servant-The City?
(a) The propaganda posters the government put out.
(b) The fear millionaires had during the Depression.
(c) Her family accusing her of being a Bolshevik.
(d) The debates that led to the creation of the teacher's union.
5. Why did a significant number of people flee public housing in 1949?
(a) The governement decreased funding to it.
(b) The war increased income across the board.
(c) The units were found to be unsafely constructed.
(d) The units were integrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Phyllis Mortimer's brother feel about her working in the 1930's?
2. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
3. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
4. According to Marshall and Steve , the young intellectuals of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, what became ingrained in American society as a result of the Depression?
5. What entertainment did Sally Rand invent?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)