|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Public Servant - The City, Evictions, Arrests and Other Running Sores.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
(a) Door girl for a speakeasy.
(b) Switchboard operator for an advertising firm.
(c) Chorus diver in movies.
(d) Card girl at boxing matches.
2. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what was the state of coal miners before the Depression?
(a) A normal middle-class community.
(b) Absurdly prosperous.
(c) The same as during the Depression.
(d) Moderately well-to-do.
3. As he entered his later years, what term did Roosevelt use to describe himself among aides?
(a) King Frank.
(c) The poor public servant.
(d) The indispensible man.
4. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(b) To track the places they have been.
(c) To say hello to loved ones.
(d) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
5. What change to the ticket structure did the Schaffner Players make after the 1929 Crash?
(a) They stopped charging all together.
(b) They only charged for second acts.
(c) They increased their ticket rates.
(d) They only charged for first acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
2. How did Dr. Lewis Andreas help strikers in Chicago in 1937?
3. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
4. What accusation was made against Dr. Francis Townsend in his time?
5. In Three o'Clock in the Morning, Wilbur Kane's mother was bitter about the invasion of what?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)