|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Public Servant - The City, Evictions, Arrests and Other Running Sores.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the private relief organization that Dr. Martin Bickham worked with in the 1930's?
(a) Philanthropists Agglomerated.
(b) United Charity.
(c) Relief Alternatives.
(d) Helping Hands.
2. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
(a) Ventilating mines.
(b) Switching out workers every 8 hours.
(c) Spraying down shafts.
(d) Offering medical examinations.
3. According to Gardiner Means, what ended with the Depression?
(a) Personal freedom.
(b) The Gold Standard.
(c) Federal intervention.
4. What psychiatric complaints did Dr. Nathan Ackerman's patients most often bring to him?
(a) Agoraphobia and narcolepsy.
(b) Anxiety and chronic sadness.
(c) Malaise and suicidal thoughts.
(d) Tremors and nausea.
5. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
(a) World War I destabilized many western democracies.
(b) Capitalism seemed doomed.
(c) Hoover's administration was riddled with communists.
(d) The US seemed set to ally with the USSR.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did some states begin paying public school teachers in the 1930's?
2. At the end of High Life, what does Judy blame for the Depression?
3. Who were the "service department" of Detroit?
4. What did Hiram Sherman do in The Cradle Will Rock?
5. What did Harry Hartman do in the 1930's when he felt bad for the indebted people he was serving?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)