|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Public Servant - The City, Evictions, Arrests and Other Running Sores.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A birthright.
(b) A mark of holiness.
(c) A personal failing.
(d) A sin.
2. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
(a) Marc Blitzstein.
(b) George Gershwin.
(c) Hiram Sherman.
(d) John Houseman.
3. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what was the state of coal miners before the Depression?
(a) Absurdly prosperous.
(b) Moderately well-to-do.
(c) A normal middle-class community.
(d) The same as during the Depression.
4. Where does the sit in of Three Strikes take place?
(a) A locally owned cloth factory.
(b) A cigarette manufactuing plant.
(c) A Rockefeller steel mill.
(d) A Ford auto plant.
5. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Their faith.
(b) The government.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Charity organizations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
2. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
3. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
4. What did the Wagner Act outlaw?
5. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)