|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Public Servant - The City, Evictions, Arrests and Other Running Sores.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Roosevelt trying to prevent with the Bank Holiday?
(a) Buyouts by large conglomerate banks.
(b) The emigration of bank owners.
(c) A run on failing banks.
(d) The decimation of people's savings.
2. In a quote in the Introduction, how does the speaker describe the socioeconomic relationship between blacks and whites during the Depression?
(a) Blacks and whites were about equal for the first time.
(b) There was no way of telling, things were so bad.
(c) Blacks were always worse off.
(d) Blacks were actually better off.
3. How was public housing viewed differently by the public in the 1930's than it is today?
(a) It was despised by the wealthy.
(b) It was not thoroughly understood.
(c) It was thought nicer than private housing.
(d) It was open to people of all income brackets.
4. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
(a) Charity organizations.
(b) Their faith.
(c) Their wives.
(d) The government.
5. According to Max Shachtman, why was Communism especially vital just before FDR was elected?
(a) The US seemed set to ally with the USSR.
(b) Capitalism seemed doomed.
(c) Hoover's administration was riddled with communists.
(d) World War I destabilized many western democracies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
2. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what was the state of coal miners before the Depression?
3. What did an industrialist ask Gordon Baxter to destroy for him?
4. What was Bob La Follette before he ran for President?
5. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)