|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: Public Servant - The City, Evictions, Arrests and Other Running Sores.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which movement sought to replace the American Federation of Labor in the 1930's?
(a) The Catholic Workers.
(b) The Wobblies.
(c) The Communists.
(d) The CIO.
2. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) A real American Hooverville.
(b) The blues.
(c) His high school sweetheart.
(d) Huey Long's home district.
3. What did the Chicago Worker's Alliance protect against?
(a) Health violations.
(b) Relief fraud.
(c) Employer intimidation.
4. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They worked a farm.
(b) They worked for a newspaper.
(c) They ran a hotel.
(d) They were actuaries.
5. What popular American novel did Jack Kirkland adapt into a successful play?
(a) Of Mice and Men.
(b) Tobacco Road.
(c) Tender is the Night.
(d) The Jungle.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what was the state of coal miners before the Depression?
2. What was the occupational community of which Jimmy Partland was a part, that lent back and forth regularly?
3. Who played the piano for opening night of The Cradle Will Rock?
4. Besides attempting to change the makeup of the Supreme Court, what Roosevelt decision does James Farley say alienated people in the administration?
5. In whose administration was David Kennedy the Secretary of the Treasury?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)