|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: God Bless' the Child.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Arthur Robinson do before entering the financial markets?
(a) He was an actor.
(b) He was a tobacco picker.
(c) He was a war correspondent.
(d) He was a school teacher.
2. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To extract public money from industrialists.
(b) To create a work program.
(c) To end poverty in California.
(d) To secede from the US.
3. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Advertising copy editor.
(b) Radio performer.
(c) Dustbin salesman.
(d) Circus booker.
4. What did Bob Leary's father do during much of the Depression to avoid going crazy?
(a) Paint a house.
(b) Have an affair.
(c) Fish at a nearby lake.
(d) Redo the upholstery of a car.
5. According to Dr. David J. Rossman, what did psychoanalysis not acknowledge regarding patient distress in the 1930's?
(a) Anxiety attacks.
(b) Parental fixations.
(c) External stimuli.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
2. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
3. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
4. In Hard Travelin', what does Peggy Terry think would happen if another Depression happened today?
5. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)