|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: God Bless' the Child.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(b) The New Republic.
(d) Literary Digest.
2. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A candy store.
(b) A private club.
(c) A Roman orgy.
(d) A rigged casino.
3. What inversion of racial relationships happened regarding Robin Langston's father during the Depression?
(a) He was invited to move into a whites-only neighborhood.
(b) He began hiring white workers.
(c) White neighbors hocked their radios to him.
(d) He was allowed to join the pipe-fitters' union.
4. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
(a) He wrote for a national labor journal.
(b) He assessed people on relief.
(c) He maintained national forests.
(d) He performed on the radio.
5. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
(b) The government.
(c) Alchohol and drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
2. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
3. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
4. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
5. What happened that made Robin Langston realize a crisis had begun in the country?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)