|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: God Bless' the Child.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
(a) In a Swiss account.
(b) In a coffee can.
(c) In his sock.
(d) Under his mattress.
2. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
3. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Dustbin salesman.
(b) Circus booker.
(c) Radio performer.
(d) Advertising copy editor.
4. According to Dr. David J. Rossman, what did psychoanalysis not acknowledge regarding patient distress in the 1930's?
(a) Anxiety attacks.
(b) Parental fixations.
(c) External stimuli.
5. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She was a prostitute.
(b) She refurbished sofas.
(c) She ran a speakeasy.
(d) She made pastries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harburg work before the Depression?
2. According to Harburg, who suffered most when the financial system collapsed?
3. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
4. On what does Dr. David J. Rossman think modern Americans rely too heavily?
5. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)