|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: God Bless' the Child.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Frank Czerwonka's mother make money during the Depression?
(a) She was a prostitute.
(b) She ran a speakeasy.
(c) She refurbished sofas.
(d) She made pastries.
2. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To secede from the US.
(b) To create a work program.
(c) To end poverty in California.
(d) To extract public money from industrialists.
3. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
(a) An ancestor of Frederick Douglass.
(b) Medgar Evers.
(c) An African prince.
(d) Marcus Garvey's grandson.
4. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(d) Emigrating to Mexico.
5. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
(a) In a Swiss account.
(b) Under his mattress.
(c) In his sock.
(d) In a coffee can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
2. What famous Depression tune did Yip Harburg write?
3. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
4. What did Blackie Gold do in the CCC during the Depression?
5. Peggy Terry says in Hard Travelin' that what disappeared from her life during the Depression?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)