|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: God Bless' the Child.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
(b) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(c) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
(d) Roosevelt came from money.
2. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
(a) A sin.
(b) A birthright.
(c) A personal failing.
(d) A mark of holiness.
3. What happened that made Robin Langston realize a crisis had begun in the country?
(a) His family stopped eating meat.
(b) He had to miss days of school.
(c) His friend's father killed himself.
(d) His lights were turned off.
4. In Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, where do Lily, Rob and Buck hear about the Depression?
(a) Their grandparents.
(c) Their school.
(d) Their parents.
5. What strange job does Terkel get right after college?
(a) Advertising copy editor.
(b) Radio performer.
(c) Circus booker.
(d) Dustbin salesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robin Langston think his family was unaffected by the Depression?
2. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
3. What did Slim Collier's father do before the Depression?
4. What does Diane, the young journalist in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, resent about her parent's fixation on the Depression?
5. Where did Blackie Gold spend his childhood?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)