|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: God Bless' the Child.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise did Upton Sinclair make to his supporters during his run for governor of California?
(a) To extract public money from industrialists.
(b) To secede from the US.
(c) To end poverty in California.
(d) To create a work program.
2. What happened that made Robin Langston realize a crisis had begun in the country?
(a) His lights were turned off.
(b) He had to miss days of school.
(c) His friend's father killed himself.
(d) His family stopped eating meat.
3. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
(a) In a Swiss account.
(b) In his sock.
(c) In a coffee can.
(d) Under his mattress.
4. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
(a) To stimulate growth.
(b) To keep people out of trouble.
(c) To promote innovation.
(d) To make one feel useful.
5. What did many of Arthur Robinson's friends say was the only reason to have money?
(a) To make more money.
(b) To give to the poor.
(c) To have influence.
(d) To provide for one's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hard Travelin', Peggy Terry says that America teaches people that poverty is what?
2. What unorthodox job did Phyllis Mortimer take when her family fell short of money in the 1930's?
3. What job does Paulson eventually get after educating himself?
4. In God Bless' the Child, Slim Collier discusses what effect created by job loss in America?
5. What is Cesar Chavez best known as?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)