|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: God Bless' the Child.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(b) Emigrating to Mexico.
2. Why would hobos put marks on people's houses with chalk?
(a) To tell other hobos if the people are good.
(b) To track the places they have been.
(c) To protest the banks' foreclosing on them.
(d) To say hello to loved ones.
3. Which of the following is not an implement that interviewers in The March say was used to disperse marchers?
(a) Water cannon.
(d) Tear gas.
4. What did Terkel seek out en route to his university?
(a) The blues.
(b) His high school sweetheart.
(c) Huey Long's home district.
(d) A real American Hooverville.
5. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
(a) A rigged casino.
(b) A Roman orgy.
(c) A candy store.
(d) A private club.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous American film critic is interviewed in Hard Travelin'?
2. Who was the one black student in Terkel's college class?
3. What food can Dorothe Bernstein not stand because of her days in an orphanage?
4. In what war did the Bonus marchers fight?
5. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)