|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: The Fine and Lively Arts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Emma Teiller, why did armed men enter a relief house in her neighborhood?
(a) To keep Japanese Americans out of it.
(b) To stop mobs threatening to burn it down.
(c) To keep an eye out for union organizers.
(d) To ensure that blacks were being fairly served.
2. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
(a) Spraying down shafts.
(b) Offering medical examinations.
(c) Switching out workers every 8 hours.
(d) Ventilating mines.
3. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
(a) Secretary of Transportation and Chief of Staff.
(b) Secretary of Commerce and Attorney General.
(c) Secretary of the Interior and English Ambassador.
(d) Secretary of Agriculture and Vice President.
4. Why did Martin DeVries hate Roosevelt?
(a) Roosevelt came from money.
(b) Roosevelt attacked the free market system.
(c) Roosevelt tried to pack the court.
(d) Roosevelt got America into World War II.
5. What change to the ticket structure did the Schaffner Players make after the 1929 Crash?
(a) They only charged for second acts.
(b) They increased their ticket rates.
(c) They stopped charging all together.
(d) They only charged for first acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Arthur Robinson do before entering the financial markets?
2. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
3. What public figure publicly raved about Jack Kirkland's play?
4. What did Hiram Sherman do in The Cradle Will Rock?
5. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)