|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 5: The Fine and Lively Arts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Orrin Kelly after the incident with the Iowa judge?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) He became judge of the county.
(c) He had to flee town.
(d) He interviewed the leaders of the mob.
2. What safety practice do coal companies refuse to implement for fear of slowing production in the 1930's?
(a) Offering medical examinations.
(b) Switching out workers every 8 hours.
(c) Spraying down shafts.
(d) Ventilating mines.
3. What two roles did Henry Wallace play in the Roosevelt administration?
(a) Secretary of Agriculture and Vice President.
(b) Secretary of Commerce and Attorney General.
(c) Secretary of Transportation and Chief of Staff.
(d) Secretary of the Interior and English Ambassador.
4. Where did Arthur Robinson keep thousands of dollars during the bank holiday?
(a) In a Swiss account.
(b) In a coffee can.
(c) In his sock.
(d) Under his mattress.
5. According to Buddy Blankenship in Sixteen Ton, what did coal companies often pay instead of money?
(a) Company vouchers.
(b) Food rations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Arthur Robinson use to describe Wall Street in the 1920's?
2. In 1930's Appalachia, what does the KKK assist in setting up?
3. In Man and Boy, what does Clifford Burke credit with black men's survival in the Depression?
4. What does Jimmy Partland say is the importance of a job?
5. During the Depression, why did farmers systematically stop corn deliveries?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)