A Personal Memoir (and Parenthetical Comment)
1. How many people does Terkel Interview in this introduction?
2. What book does Terkel quote in the introduction to explain his purpose in writing this history?
(a) Democracy in America.
(b) The Great Gatsby.
(c) Grapes of Wrath.
(d) Les Miserables.
3. What did Terkel's parents do for a living before the Depression?
(a) They ran a hotel.
(b) They worked for a newspaper.
(c) They worked a farm.
(d) They were actuaries.
4. Which of the following is not a periodical mentioned by Terkel in the Introduction?
(a) Literary Digest.
(d) The New Republic.
5. What term best describes the nature of the changes that happened after the 1929 Crash, from Terkel's perspective?
6. According to a quotation in the Introduction, what was the typical response to receiving a pink slip during the beginning of the Depression?
7. According to Terkel, what increased among patrons of his parent's business after the Crash?
(a) Emigrating to Mexico.
This section contains 4,782 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)