A Personal Memoir (and Parenthetical Comment)
• Terkel explains his purposes in writing about the Depression.
• Terkel discusses the decline of his parents' hotel.
• Terkel discusses his college years and career in the radio.
Book 1: The March, The Song, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
• World War I veterans held a Bonus March on Washington, DC in 1932.
• Yip Harburg lost his job and began writing songs.
• Young people resent the elder generation's obsession with the Depression
Book 1: Hard Travelin'
• Hobos traveled the country during the Depression, relying on the help of folks with houses.
• Transient Camps and organizations like the Civilian Conservation Corps helped feed the transient and teach them skills.
Book 1: The Big Money, Man and Boy
• Speculation on Wall Street led to a massive collapse in 1929.
• The banks were shut down by the government for a weekend to shore them up.
Book 1: God Bless' the Child
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)