|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow say the Town's "exit" is guarded by?
2. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
3. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
4. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
5. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
2. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
3. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
4. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
5. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
6. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
7. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
8. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
9. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
10. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name some elements of the "archetypal journey" and explain how the "Hard-Boiled Wonderland" narrator's passage through the Tokyo underground was an archetypal journey.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how "shuffling" is done and the significance of this process for the novel's exploration of consciousness.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Tokyo narrator's escapist tendencies, giving several concrete examples.
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)