|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing the shadow tells the narrator?
2. How long does the narrator say it will take him to read out the Librarian's mind?
3. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
4. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
5. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the first two chapters of the book. In the first chapter, the narrator is stuck in an elevator. In the second chapter, the beasts and the coming of autumn are described. Compare and contrast the tone of both of these chapters.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the phrase "the End of the World" is used to link the two storylines together and explain what the end of the world really is.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)