|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say he and the girl got on the subway when asked by the subway attendant?
2. Why does the narrator rent the car?
3. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
4. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
5. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
2. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
3. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
4. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
5. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
6. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
7. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
8. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
9. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
10. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the video game the Tokyo narrator plays while waiting for his date with the librarian and draw parallels to his own situation. Describe the video game the Tokyo narrator plays while waiting for his date with the librarian and draw parallels to his own situation.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author's attention to the physical needs of the characters in each storyline and explain how Murakami's depictions add to the overall effect of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happens when the Tokyo narrator remembers his shadow on the movie screen while underground and explain the significance of this event has for the narrator.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)