|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel give the narrator to help in walking through the snow?
2. What is the last thing the shadow tells the narrator?
3. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
4. Which of the following do the narrator and the librarian NOT have as dessert at the restaurant?
5. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
2. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
3. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
4. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
5. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
6. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
7. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
8. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
9. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
10. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happens when the Tokyo narrator remembers his shadow on the movie screen while underground and explain the significance of this event has for the narrator.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how "shuffling" is done and the significance of this process for the novel's exploration of consciousness.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)