|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
2. What effect does the whiskey have on the narrator in Chapter 27?
3. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
4. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
5. What does the narrator's shadow say he can't do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
2. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
3. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
4. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
5. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
6. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
7. Describe the Town's power source.
8. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
9. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
10. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the Townspeople, the shadow and the Professor say about the beasts and use these varying viewpoints to explain the role unicorns play in the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Giving specific details from the story, explain how Murakami leaves the novel somewhat open-ended and explain what you think might have happened to each of the narrators.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the phrase "the End of the World" is used to link the two storylines together and explain what the end of the world really is.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)