Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator eat with his beer at the beer hall after buying his new clothes?
2. What does the narrator's shadow say he can't do?
3. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
4. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
5. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how "shuffling" is done and the significance of this process for the novel's exploration of consciousness.
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 37, the narrator says he was born by the sea and liked to collect things washed on shore by the typhoon. He says his life has always been about "gathering up the junk, sorting through it, and then casting it off somewhere else. All for no purpose...". Explain how the narrator's current life is this way and draw parallels between this and the people in the Town.
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)