|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
2. What effect does the whiskey have on the narrator in Chapter 27?
3. Why does the Caretaker collect the instruments?
4. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
5. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
2. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
3. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
4. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
5. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
6. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
7. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
8. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
9. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
10. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the phrase "the End of the World" is used to link the two storylines together and explain what the end of the world really is.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the Dreamreader finds out that the Librarian still has traces of mind and the significance this has for his own life.
Essay Topic 3
Give a detailed description of the Hard-Boiled Wonderland narrator's personality and explain how he changes throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)