|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What odd gift does the narrator give the librarian at the restaurant in Chapter 35?
2. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
3. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37?
4. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
5. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author's attention to the physical needs of the characters in each storyline and explain how Murakami's depictions add to the overall effect of the story.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 37, the narrator says he was born by the sea and liked to collect things washed on shore by the typhoon. He says his life has always been about "gathering up the junk, sorting through it, and then casting it off somewhere else. All for no purpose...". Explain how the narrator's current life is this way and draw parallels between this and the people in the Town.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Tokyo narrator's escapist tendencies, giving several concrete examples.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)