|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the shadow know the Town has an exit?
2. What effect does the whiskey have on the narrator in Chapter 27?
3. What happens to the skulls when the narrator begins to play the music?
4. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
5. Where does the shadow tell the narrator they're going?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
2. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
3. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
4. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
5. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
6. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
7. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
8. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
9. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
10. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how "shuffling" is done and the significance of this process for the novel's exploration of consciousness.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the narrator refers to in Chapter 35 as "despair", "disillusionment" and "hell" and explain why he says he's unable to create a better life for himself.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the Dreamreader finds out that the Librarian still has traces of mind and the significance this has for his own life.
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)