|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the subway attendant claim is a waste of money while discussing the lost tickets with the narrator?
2. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
3. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
4. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
5. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
2. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
3. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
4. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
5. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
6. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
7. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
8. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
9. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
10. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the phrase "the End of the World" is used to link the two storylines together and explain what the end of the world really is.
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed characterization of Murakami's use of literary and musical references, describing his choice of usage and explaining how these choices add to the development of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the narrator refers to in Chapter 35 as "despair", "disillusionment" and "hell" and explain why he says he's unable to create a better life for himself.
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)