|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the subway attendant claim is a waste of money while discussing the lost tickets with the narrator?
2. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
3. What does the narrator compare his world to while climbing through the escape route in Chapter 29?
4. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
5. What does the shadow call the process of removing the discharges of mind that rise each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
2. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
3. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
4. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
5. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
6. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
7. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
8. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
9. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
10. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the phrase "the End of the World" is used to link the two storylines together and explain what the end of the world really is.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the Dreamreader finds out that the Librarian still has traces of mind and the significance this has for his own life.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the narrator refers to in Chapter 35 as "despair", "disillusionment" and "hell" and explain why he says he's unable to create a better life for himself.
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)