|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow call the process of removing the discharges of mind that rise each day?
2. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
3. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
4. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
5. What does the narrator want to do when he arrives at the Library in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
2. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
3. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
4. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
5. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
6. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
7. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
8. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
9. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
10. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Giving specific details from the story, explain how Murakami leaves the novel somewhat open-ended and explain what you think might have happened to each of the narrators.
Essay Topic 2
Name some elements of the "archetypal journey" and explain how the "Hard-Boiled Wonderland" narrator's passage through the Tokyo underground was an archetypal journey.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the first two chapters of the book. In the first chapter, the narrator is stuck in an elevator. In the second chapter, the beasts and the coming of autumn are described. Compare and contrast the tone of both of these chapters.
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)