|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
2. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
3. Why does the Caretaker collect the instruments?
4. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
5. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
2. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
3. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
4. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
5. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
6. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
7. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
8. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
9. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
10. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the Dreamreader finds out that the Librarian still has traces of mind and the significance this has for his own life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the narrator refers to in Chapter 35 as "despair", "disillusionment" and "hell" and explain why he says he's unable to create a better life for himself.
Essay Topic 3
Being as specific as you can, explain the Tokyo narrator's perception of reality as events unfold at the beginning of the book. Did the narrator's reaction to what is happening assist in your suspension of disbelief? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)