|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author does the narrator NOT say he likes to read at dinner?
2. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
3. What does the narrator say the Librarian can never do since she has no mind?
4. What does the Caretaker of the Power Station make for his guests in Chapter 28?
5. What does the Librarian compare the warmth of the narrator's hand to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
2. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
3. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
4. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
5. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
6. Explain the importance of belief as described in Chapter 34.
7. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
8. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
9. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
10. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed characterization of Murakami's use of literary and musical references, describing his choice of usage and explaining how these choices add to the development of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the narrator refers to in Chapter 35 as "despair", "disillusionment" and "hell" and explain why he says he's unable to create a better life for himself.
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)