|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
2. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
3. Which song does the narrator finally begin to play on the accordion?
4. How long does the narrator say it will take him to read out the Librarian's mind?
5. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
2. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
3. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
4. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
5. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
6. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
7. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
8. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
9. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
10. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author's attention to the physical needs of the characters in each storyline and explain how Murakami's depictions add to the overall effect of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Town and explain how Murakami's characterization of this place relates to the overall theme of the mind.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happens when the Tokyo narrator remembers his shadow on the movie screen while underground and explain the significance of this event has for the narrator.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)