|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the librarian say the unicorn skull was lost while recounting the story of Professor Petrov in Chapter 9?
2. What does the chubby girl say she can hear from the INKlings?
3. What do the girl and the narrator appear to be walking on after the rock slab?
4. What does the narrator say may be the signal to put physical pain out of mind?
5. Why does the shadow say he needed the map sooner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about the Wall surrounding the Town based on your readings in Chapter 10?
2. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
3. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the beasts' death in Chapter 20?
4. Explain what "The End of the World" is according to the Professor's explanation in Chapter 25.
5. Give a brief description of the beasts introduced in Chapter 2.
6. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
7. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
8. Which unusual things have you noticed about the Town as described in Chapter 4?
9. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
10. What does the narrator's conversation with the Librarian about where he came from tell the reader about the nature of the Town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the Townspeople, the shadow and the Professor say about the beasts and use these varying viewpoints to explain the role unicorns play in the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Being as specific as you can, explain the Tokyo narrator's perception of reality as events unfold at the beginning of the book. Did the narrator's reaction to what is happening assist in your suspension of disbelief? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Town and explain how Murakami's characterization of this place relates to the overall theme of the mind.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)