|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Professor say will happen in regards to the narrator's three cognitive circuits?
2. What do Junior and Big Boy do to the narrator, saying they have no choice?
3. Where does the woman tell the narrator that he'll find her grandfather's lab?
4. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
5. What do Junior and Big Boy drink while visiting the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about the Pool based on your readings in Chapter 12?
2. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
3. Which unusual things have you noticed about the Town as described in Chapter 4?
4. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
5. What information does the chubby girl in pink get from reading her grandfather's notebook in Chapter 19?
6. What does the narrator's conversation with the Librarian about where he came from tell the reader about the nature of the Town?
7. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the beasts' death in Chapter 20?
8. Give a brief description of the beasts introduced in Chapter 2.
9. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
10. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happens when the Tokyo narrator remembers his shadow on the movie screen while underground and explain the significance of this event has for the narrator.
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the Dreamreader finds out that the Librarian still has traces of mind and the significance this has for his own life.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)