|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel give the narrator to help nurse him back to health?
2. What creatures do the girl and the narrator meet underground?
3. How does the Professor explain the narrator's memory of the dam and the king's coronation?
4. What does the narrator wish he could be, in thinking about the girl in the Skyline?
5. Which variety of unicorn does the librarian say is the more tranquil variety?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Town's power source.
2. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
3. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
4. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
5. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
6. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
7. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
8. Explain the narrator's reaction to the skull the Professor gives him as a gift.
9. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
10. What do you know about the Wall surrounding the Town based on your readings in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the first two chapters of the book. In the first chapter, the narrator is stuck in an elevator. In the second chapter, the beasts and the coming of autumn are described. Compare and contrast the tone of both of these chapters.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what the Townspeople, the shadow and the Professor say about the beasts and use these varying viewpoints to explain the role unicorns play in the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)