|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls and wakes the narrator up while he is sleeping after finishing his shuffling?
2. When the chubby girl and the narrator reach the lab, what does the chubby girl realize?
3. What is the old man working on in Chapter 3?
4. In what way does the Professor say the mind is like Alice in Wonderland?
5. Why does the Colonel say the narrator's love for the Librarian may not be prudent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the memory the narrator has while climbing the underground tower with the chubby girl.
2. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
3. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
4. What does the narrator realize in Chapter 17 about Junior's reference to a "time bomb"?
5. Describe the Collection Room.
6. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
7. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
8. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
9. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the Woods and the Woodspeople in Chapter 14?
10. Describe the process for reading dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Tokyo narrator's escapist tendencies, giving several concrete examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happens when the Tokyo narrator remembers his shadow on the movie screen while underground and explain the significance of this event has for the narrator.
Essay Topic 3
Give a detailed description of the Hard-Boiled Wonderland narrator's personality and explain how he changes throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)