|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chubby girl say she can hear from the INKlings?
2. What was supposed to happen on the 2nd at noon?
3. What does the narrator notice about the girl in the car in front of them while on their way back to the Professor's lab?
4. What does the narrator tell the librarian to comfort her at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about the Pool based on your readings in Chapter 12?
2. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
3. Which unusual things have you noticed about the Town as described in Chapter 4?
4. What is the source of the noise that dominates the first half of Chapter 23?
5. Explain why the Colonel brings up the Librarian in Chapter 16 and what he tells the narrator in regards to her?
6. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
7. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
8. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
9. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the Woods and the Woodspeople in Chapter 14?
10. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the phrase "the End of the World" is used to link the two storylines together and explain what the end of the world really is.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the first two chapters of the book. In the first chapter, the narrator is stuck in an elevator. In the second chapter, the beasts and the coming of autumn are described. Compare and contrast the tone of both of these chapters.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how "shuffling" is done and the significance of this process for the novel's exploration of consciousness.
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)