|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Junior and Big Boy do to the narrator, saying they have no choice?
2. What happens to the dead beasts?
3. What does the librarian try to get the narrator to hear while they are lying in bed?
4. Why does the narrator say he has no intention of turning in his Calcutec qualifications in Chapter 11?
5. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's shadow in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
2. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
3. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
4. Describe the Colonel and his relationship to the narrator.
5. What does the narrator realize in Chapter 17 about Junior's reference to a "time bomb"?
6. Give a brief description of the beasts introduced in Chapter 2.
7. Explain where the narrator is at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what he spends his time doing.
8. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
9. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
10. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the Townspeople, the shadow and the Professor say about the beasts and use these varying viewpoints to explain the role unicorns play in the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Tokyo narrator's escapist tendencies, giving several concrete examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what the narrator refers to in Chapter 35 as "despair", "disillusionment" and "hell" and explain why he says he's unable to create a better life for himself.
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)