|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator and the Librarian look for a musical instrument?
2. What does the narrator's shadow come to the storeroom to get as an excuse to see the narrator in Chapter 10?
3. Where does the Librarian live?
4. What does the narrator count while in the elevator at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. What does the narrator realize has hurt him when he wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
2. Describe the process for reading dreams.
3. Describe the Collection Room.
4. What does the narrator's conversation with the Librarian about where he came from tell the reader about the nature of the Town?
5. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
6. Describe the Colonel and his relationship to the narrator.
7. Explain why the Colonel brings up the Librarian in Chapter 16 and what he tells the narrator in regards to her?
8. What do you know about the Wall surrounding the Town based on your readings in Chapter 10?
9. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
10. What information does the chubby girl in pink get from reading her grandfather's notebook in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give a detailed description of the Hard-Boiled Wonderland narrator's personality and explain how he changes throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 37, the narrator says he was born by the sea and liked to collect things washed on shore by the typhoon. He says his life has always been about "gathering up the junk, sorting through it, and then casting it off somewhere else. All for no purpose...". Explain how the narrator's current life is this way and draw parallels between this and the people in the Town.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the video game the Tokyo narrator plays while waiting for his date with the librarian and draw parallels to his own situation. Describe the video game the Tokyo narrator plays while waiting for his date with the librarian and draw parallels to his own situation.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)