|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator's shadow sleep?
2. What does the narrator suggest be built for the beasts?
3. What do the girl and the narrator appear to be walking on after the rock slab?
4. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
5. Why does the chubby girl say she wears pink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Collection Room.
2. What does the narrator realize in Chapter 17 about Junior's reference to a "time bomb"?
3. Describe the Colonel and his relationship to the narrator.
4. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
5. Give a brief description of the beasts introduced in Chapter 2.
6. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
7. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
8. Explain the narrator's reaction to the skull the Professor gives him as a gift.
9. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the beasts' death in Chapter 20?
10. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name some elements of the "archetypal journey" and explain how the "Hard-Boiled Wonderland" narrator's passage through the Tokyo underground was an archetypal journey.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 37, the narrator says he was born by the sea and liked to collect things washed on shore by the typhoon. He says his life has always been about "gathering up the junk, sorting through it, and then casting it off somewhere else. All for no purpose...". Explain how the narrator's current life is this way and draw parallels between this and the people in the Town.
Essay Topic 3
Give a detailed description of the Hard-Boiled Wonderland narrator's personality and explain how he changes throughout the novel.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)