|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator loose upon arriving in the Town?
2. What does the narrator tell the librarian to comfort her at the end of Chapter 18?
3. What does the narrator notice about the woman that he follows down the corridor?
4. What do Junior and Big Boy drink while visiting the narrator?
5. What group does the narrator belong to in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Colonel and his relationship to the narrator.
2. Explain what "The End of the World" is according to the Professor's explanation in Chapter 25.
3. What does the narrator realize in Chapter 17 about Junior's reference to a "time bomb"?
4. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
5. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
6. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
7. Briefly describe the memory the narrator has while climbing the underground tower with the chubby girl.
8. What do you know about the Wall surrounding the Town based on your readings in Chapter 10?
9. Explain why the Colonel brings up the Librarian in Chapter 16 and what he tells the narrator in regards to her?
10. Describe the process for reading dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Tokyo narrator's escapist tendencies, giving several concrete examples.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the first two chapters of the book. In the first chapter, the narrator is stuck in an elevator. In the second chapter, the beasts and the coming of autumn are described. Compare and contrast the tone of both of these chapters.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)