Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel give the narrator to help nurse him back to health?
2. What creatures do the girl and the narrator meet underground?
3. How does the Professor explain the narrator's memory of the dam and the king's coronation?
4. What does the narrator wish he could be, in thinking about the girl in the Skyline?
5. Which variety of unicorn does the librarian say is the more tranquil variety?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Town's power source.
2. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
3. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
4. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
5. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
6. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
7. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
8. Explain the narrator's reaction to the skull the Professor gives him as a gift.
9. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
10. What do you know about the Wall surrounding the Town based on your readings in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 37, the narrator says he was born by the sea and liked to collect things washed on shore by the typhoon. He says his life has always been about "gathering up the junk, sorting through it, and then casting it off somewhere else. All for no purpose...". Explain how the narrator's current life is this way and draw parallels between this and the people in the Town.
Essay Topic 2
Name some elements of the "archetypal journey" and explain how the "Hard-Boiled Wonderland" narrator's passage through the Tokyo underground was an archetypal journey.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the first two chapters of the book. In the first chapter, the narrator is stuck in an elevator. In the second chapter, the beasts and the coming of autumn are described. Compare and contrast the tone of both of these chapters.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)