|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
2. What does the narrator wish he could be, in thinking about the girl in the Skyline?
3. What kind of watch is Junior wearing?
4. What does the narrator's shadow come to the storeroom to get as an excuse to see the narrator in Chapter 10?
5. What does the narrator believe after he's slammed into the rock slab at the beginning of Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
2. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
3. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
4. Describe the Colonel and his relationship to the narrator.
5. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
6. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
7. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
8. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
9. Describe the Town's power source.
10. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being as specific as you can, explain the Tokyo narrator's perception of reality as events unfold at the beginning of the book. Did the narrator's reaction to what is happening assist in your suspension of disbelief? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the fact that the narrator in Chapter 37 says that he's never chosen to do anything of his own free will. Plead for or against the truth of this statement by contrasting it with the choices the narrator makes about his own life leading up to the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the video game the Tokyo narrator plays while waiting for his date with the librarian and draw parallels to his own situation. Describe the video game the Tokyo narrator plays while waiting for his date with the librarian and draw parallels to his own situation.
This section contains 1,796 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)