|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he uses his car for in Chapter 7?
2. The narrator begins Chapter 5 with a lengthy discussion about the quality of which object?
3. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
4. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
5. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's shadow in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain where the narrator is at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what he spends his time doing.
2. What do you know about the Pool based on your readings in Chapter 12?
3. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
4. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the Woods and the Woodspeople in Chapter 14?
5. What information does the chubby girl in pink get from reading her grandfather's notebook in Chapter 19?
6. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
7. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
8. Describe the differences between Western and Eastern unicorns as presented in Chapter 9.
9. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
10. Describe the Collection Room.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what the narrator refers to in Chapter 35 as "despair", "disillusionment" and "hell" and explain why he says he's unable to create a better life for himself.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how "shuffling" is done and the significance of this process for the novel's exploration of consciousness.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the first two chapters of the book. In the first chapter, the narrator is stuck in an elevator. In the second chapter, the beasts and the coming of autumn are described. Compare and contrast the tone of both of these chapters.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)