|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Gatekeeper say he was when showing the narrator his arsenal at the end of Chapter 2?
2. Where does the woman tell the narrator that he'll find her grandfather's lab?
3. Why does the narrator say he has no intention of turning in his Calcutec qualifications in Chapter 11?
4. Where does the Librarian live?
5. What kind of tree did the girl see outside her window while in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences between Western and Eastern unicorns as presented in Chapter 9.
2. What does the narrator realize in Chapter 17 about Junior's reference to a "time bomb"?
3. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
4. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
5. Give a brief description of the beasts introduced in Chapter 2.
6. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
7. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
8. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
9. Explain where the narrator is at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what he spends his time doing.
10. What is the source of the noise that dominates the first half of Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 37, the narrator says he was born by the sea and liked to collect things washed on shore by the typhoon. He says his life has always been about "gathering up the junk, sorting through it, and then casting it off somewhere else. All for no purpose...". Explain how the narrator's current life is this way and draw parallels between this and the people in the Town.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Town and explain how Murakami's characterization of this place relates to the overall theme of the mind.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)