|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel say dying might be for the beasts?
2. What do Junior and Big Boy drink while visiting the narrator?
3. What does the chubby girl say she can hear from the INKlings?
4. Where does the narrator say the smoke comes from?
5. Where does the narrator find the Pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
2. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
3. Which unusual things have you noticed about the Town as described in Chapter 4?
4. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
5. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
6. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
7. Describe the Town's power source.
8. Explain the importance of belief as described in Chapter 34.
9. What do you know about the Pool based on your readings in Chapter 12?
10. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name some elements of the "archetypal journey" and explain how the "Hard-Boiled Wonderland" narrator's passage through the Tokyo underground was an archetypal journey.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happens when the Tokyo narrator remembers his shadow on the movie screen while underground and explain the significance of this event has for the narrator.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the video game the Tokyo narrator plays while waiting for his date with the librarian and draw parallels to his own situation. Describe the video game the Tokyo narrator plays while waiting for his date with the librarian and draw parallels to his own situation.
This section contains 1,785 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)