|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. Why does the girl say they can't swim to the top of the tower?
3. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's feelings for his shadow in Chapter 8?
4. What is the first thing the Professor asks for on seeing his granddaughter and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 25?
5. What does the Gatekeeper tell the narrator about the Power Station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the process for reading dreams.
2. Explain what "The End of the World" is according to the Professor's explanation in Chapter 25.
3. Describe the Collection Room.
4. Describe the Colonel and his relationship to the narrator.
5. Explain why the Colonel brings up the Librarian in Chapter 16 and what he tells the narrator in regards to her?
6. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
7. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
8. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the beasts' death in Chapter 20?
9. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the Woods and the Woodspeople in Chapter 14?
10. What information does the chubby girl in pink get from reading her grandfather's notebook in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Town and explain how Murakami's characterization of this place relates to the overall theme of the mind.
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the main characteristics of existentialist literature and describe how Murakami's novel is similar.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how "shuffling" is done and the significance of this process for the novel's exploration of consciousness.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)