|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the shadow tell the narrator they're going?
(a) To the barracks.
(b) To the Pool.
(c) To the Woods.
(d) To the Watchtower.
2. What effect does the whiskey have on the narrator in Chapter 27?
(a) It makes him woozy.
(b) It makes him cry.
(c) It makes him laugh.
(d) It doesn't register.
3. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
(a) She is afraid of the Woods.
(b) She has no mind.
(c) The Gatekeeper would never allow it.
(d) She is conflicted.
4. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
(a) Autumn Leaves.
(b) I'll Be Home.
(c) Georgia on My Mind.
(d) Danny Boy.
5. What does the shadow call the role of the Dreamreader in his discussion of the loss of mind at the end of Chapter 32?
(a) A lightning rod.
(b) A scout.
(c) A scapegoat.
(d) A catalyst.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator want to do when he arrives at the Library in Chapter 34?
2. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
3. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
4. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
5. What happens to the skulls when the narrator begins to play the music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
2. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
3. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
4. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
5. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
6. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
7. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
8. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
9. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
10. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)