|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) It seems to be glowing.
(b) It seems to be talking.
(c) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(d) There are no lines leading out.
2. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
(a) He has grown to love dreamreading.
(b) He is afraid of the exit.
(c) He has responsibilities.
(d) He has to save the Librarian.
3. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
(a) Divorcing his wife.
(b) Watching Casablanca.
(c) Reading The Greening of America.
(d) Learning to sail.
4. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
(a) The Winter.
(d) The Autumn.
5. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Frankfurt.
(c) In Zurich.
(d) In London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Gatekeeper leave the narrator alone with his shadow?
2. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
3. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
4. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
5. How does the Colonel say the Town feels about the passing of a shadow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
2. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
3. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
4. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
5. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
6. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
7. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
8. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
9. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
10. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)