|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Colonel say the Town feels about the passing of a shadow?
(a) They are relieved that the shadow is finally gone.
(b) They don't talk about it.
(c) It is a solemn event.
(d) It is wonderful to be freed of the weight.
2. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
3. What happens to the narrator as he passes by the INKlings' lair?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He gets liquefied.
(c) He gets sucked in.
(d) He stops moving and has a hard time starting again.
4. What is the last thing the shadow tells the narrator?
(a) "I'm disappointed in you."
(b) "I'll come back for you."
(c) "I won't forget you."
(d) "I loved you."
5. What does the narrator ask the Librarian to do for him when he is finished reading skulls?
(a) Make him breakfast.
(b) Make him some coffee.
(c) Bring him home.
(d) Wake him up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the subway attendant claim is a waste of money while discussing the lost tickets with the narrator?
2. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
3. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
4. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
5. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
2. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
3. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
4. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
5. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
6. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
7. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
8. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
9. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
10. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)