|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Colonel say the Town feels about the passing of a shadow?
(a) They are relieved that the shadow is finally gone.
(b) It is a solemn event.
(c) It is wonderful to be freed of the weight.
(d) They don't talk about it.
2. Where does the chubby girl say her grandfather has gone?
(a) To Finland.
(b) To System Headquarters.
(c) On vacation.
(d) To the INKlings' lair.
3. What does the narrator want to do when he arrives at the Library in Chapter 34?
(a) He wants to talk to the Librarian.
(b) He wants to go for a walk.
(c) He wants to have dinner.
(d) He wants to begin dream reading right away.
4. What does the narrator do with the skull at the end of Chapter 37?
(a) He sends it to the chubby girl.
(b) He leaves it at the subway station.
(c) He gives it to the librarian as a gift.
(d) He disposes of it.
5. How long does the Professor say the provisions will keep him alive?
(a) Seven or eight days.
(b) One or two weeks.
(c) One or two days.
(d) Three or four days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
2. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
3. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
4. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37?
5. How does the shadow know the Town has an exit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
2. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
3. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
4. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
5. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
6. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
7. Explain the importance of belief as described in Chapter 34.
8. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
9. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
10. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)