|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The Gatekeeper.
(c) The accordion.
(d) The skulls.
2. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
(a) I'll Be Home.
(b) Autumn Leaves.
(c) Danny Boy.
(d) Georgia on My Mind.
3. Where does the chubby girl say her grandfather has gone?
(a) On vacation.
(b) To Finland.
(c) To System Headquarters.
(d) To the INKlings' lair.
4. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) It seems to be talking.
(b) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(c) It seems to be glowing.
(d) There are no lines leading out.
5. What does the narrator think people want to extend to everything?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Caretaker collect the instruments?
2. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
3. What is it that causes the narrator to check each joint and muscle of his body when he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 30?
4. What effect does the whiskey have on the narrator in Chapter 27?
5. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
2. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
3. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
4. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
5. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
6. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
7. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
8. Explain the importance of belief as described in Chapter 34.
9. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
10. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)