|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
(a) Hold hands.
(b) Trade hats.
(c) Join back together.
(d) Tie their belts together.
2. What does the narrator eat with his beer at the beer hall after buying his new clothes?
(b) A pretzel.
(c) A burger.
3. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
4. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
(b) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
(c) The clothes are all pink.
(d) The clothes still stink from the underground.
5. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) She's never been there before.
(b) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(c) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
(d) It's in the Woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the narrator mentions when telling his shadow about his doubts?
2. Why does the Gatekeeper leave the narrator alone with his shadow?
3. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
4. What day is it when the narrator and the chubby girl finally arrive in the subway system?
5. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
2. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
3. Explain the importance of belief as described in Chapter 34.
4. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
5. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
6. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
7. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
8. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
9. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
10. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)