|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to the hole the men dug outside the narrator's window?
(a) It has been filled back in.
(b) It is full of beasts.
(c) It has filled with snow.
(d) It has disappeared.
2. What does the narrator ask the Librarian to do for him when he is finished reading skulls?
(a) Bring him home.
(b) Make him breakfast.
(c) Make him some coffee.
(d) Wake him up.
3. What song does the narrator begin to whistle in the sewer side vent?
(a) All Along the Watchtower.
(b) Purple Rain.
(c) I Go to Pieces.
(d) Blowin' in the Wind.
4. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was a soldier.
(b) He likes to collect things.
(c) He was born by the sea.
(d) He likes the rainfall.
5. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
(a) The Librarian.
(b) The Colonel.
(c) The Gatekeeper.
(d) The beasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
2. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
3. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
4. What does the narrator's shadow say he can't do?
5. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
2. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
3. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
4. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
5. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
6. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
7. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
8. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
9. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
10. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)