|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
(a) The sound of the snow underfoot.
(b) The End of the World.
(c) The flight of the birds overhead.
(d) The thought of the accordion.
2. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
(a) His vision heals.
(b) He realizes he has to leave the Town.
(c) His heart starts to ache.
(d) He starts to cry.
3. What does the narrator eat with his beer at the beer hall after buying his new clothes?
(a) A burger.
(d) A pretzel.
4. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
5. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The flowers.
(b) The wind.
(c) The leaves.
(d) The rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
2. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
3. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
4. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
5. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
2. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
3. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
4. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
5. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
6. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
7. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
8. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
9. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
10. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)