|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
(a) The flight of the birds overhead.
(b) The thought of the accordion.
(c) The sound of the snow underfoot.
(d) The End of the World.
2. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
3. What does the shadow call the process of removing the discharges of mind that rise each day?
(a) Skimming off.
(c) Filtering out.
4. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
(a) The Gatekeeper.
(b) The skulls.
(c) The accordion.
(d) Her mother.
5. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was born by the sea.
(b) He likes the rainfall.
(c) He was a soldier.
(d) He likes to collect things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow call the role of the Dreamreader in his discussion of the loss of mind at the end of Chapter 32?
2. What has happened to the hole the men dug outside the narrator's window?
3. What does the narrator compare his world to while climbing through the escape route in Chapter 29?
4. What does the shadow say the Town's "exit" is guarded by?
5. What does the narrator want to do in light of the situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
2. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
3. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
4. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
5. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
6. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
7. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
8. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
9. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
10. Describe the Town's power source.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)