|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) It's in the Woods.
(b) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
(c) She's never been there before.
(d) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
2. What song does the narrator listen to just before falling asleep at the waterfront?
(a) A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall.
(b) I'm Comin' Home.
(c) Blowin' in the Wind.
(d) Danny Boy.
3. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
(a) They have run out of things to say to each other.
(b) The Librarian is still angry that they narrator decided to go against her will.
(c) There's no need to talk.
(d) They are worried someone will hear them.
4. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
5. What does the Colonel give the narrator to help in walking through the snow?
(a) Ski poles.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) Snow boots.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the Professor say the provisions will keep him alive?
2. What happens to the skulls when the narrator begins to play the music?
3. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
4. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37?
5. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
2. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
3. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
4. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
5. Explain the importance of belief as described in Chapter 34.
6. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
7. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
8. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
9. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
10. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)