|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What escape does the Professor offer for the dilemma the narrator is faced with?
(a) If the System finds out about the research, they will abort the program.
(b) If he can unshuffle the data, the program will end automatically.
(c) If the Factory gets the data, the program will end automatically.
(d) If he dies now, all three of his circuits will die with him.
2. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) There are no lines leading out.
(b) It seems to be talking.
(c) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(d) It seems to be glowing.
3. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
(b) The beasts.
(c) The Librarian.
(d) The Townspeople.
4. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
(a) Four gateaux.
(b) Four videos.
(c) Four beers.
(d) Four cassettes.
5. What does the narrator first notice about the musical instruments?
(a) They are old.
(b) He knows how to play them all.
(c) They bear traces of their previous owners.
(d) They are in good repair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do to kill time while waiting for his date with the librarian?
2. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
3. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
4. What does the narrator ask the Librarian to do for him when he is finished reading skulls?
5. What song does the narrator begin to whistle in the sewer side vent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
2. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
3. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
4. Explain the importance of belief as described in Chapter 34.
5. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
6. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
7. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
8. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
9. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
10. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)