|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator rent the car?
(a) He doesn't want to show up with the sports bag in hand.
(b) He doesn't want to go back into the subway.
(c) He wants to impress his date.
(d) He doesn't want to drive his own car.
2. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
(a) In New York.
(b) In Frankfurt.
(c) In London.
(d) In Zurich.
3. What does the shadow say the Town's "exit" is guarded by?
4. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
5. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
(a) The sound of the snow underfoot.
(b) The thought of the accordion.
(c) The End of the World.
(d) The flight of the birds overhead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
2. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
3. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
4. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
5. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
2. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
3. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
4. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
5. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
6. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
7. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
8. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
9. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
10. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)