|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the chubby girl say she wants to go with the narrator when the reach the subway at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) To Disneyland.
(b) To a ball game.
(c) To his place.
(d) To Finland.
2. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He likes the rainfall.
(b) He was a soldier.
(c) He was born by the sea.
(d) He likes to collect things.
3. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
(a) They're often edgy.
(b) They're often arrogant.
(c) They're often uncertain.
(d) They're often unimaginative.
4. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) There are no lines leading out.
(b) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(c) It seems to be glowing.
(d) It seems to be talking.
5. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(b) Beast meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
2. What does the shadow say the Town's "exit" is guarded by?
3. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
4. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
5. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
2. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
3. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
4. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
5. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
6. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
7. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
8. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
9. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
10. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)