|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(a) Beast meat.
2. What has happened to the hole the men dug outside the narrator's window?
(a) It has been filled back in.
(b) It has disappeared.
(c) It is full of beasts.
(d) It has filled with snow.
3. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
(a) That she is a strong swimmer.
(b) That she thinks he's a nice guy.
(c) That the System isn't as good as he thought.
(d) That what her grandfather did was wrong.
4. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
(a) In New York.
(b) In London.
(c) In Zurich.
(d) In Frankfurt.
5. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
(a) A sense of justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Librarian compare the warmth of the narrator's hand to?
2. What does the Caretaker of the Power Station make for his guests in Chapter 28?
3. What does the narrator want to do in light of the situation?
4. What song does the narrator begin to whistle in the sewer side vent?
5. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
2. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
3. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
4. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
5. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
6. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
7. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
8. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
9. How does the narrator explain his decision in Chapter 40?
10. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)