|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator think people want to extend to everything?
2. What does the narrator want to do in light of the situation?
(a) Drink more whisky.
(b) Call his mother.
(c) Marry the girl.
(d) Go above ground.
3. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
(a) A balloon.
(b) A cigar.
4. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
(d) A sense of justice.
5. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
(a) She is conflicted.
(b) The Gatekeeper would never allow it.
(c) She has no mind.
(d) She is afraid of the Woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to the hole the men dug outside the narrator's window?
2. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
3. What does the narrator ask the Librarian to do for him when he is finished reading skulls?
4. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
5. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
2. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
3. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
4. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
5. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
6. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
7. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
8. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
9. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
10. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)