|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
(a) Four videos.
(b) Four beers.
(c) Four gateaux.
(d) Four cassettes.
2. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) It seems to be glowing.
(b) There are no lines leading out.
(c) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(d) It seems to be talking.
3. What kind of power is the Town apparently running on?
(a) Water energy.
(b) Wind energy.
(d) Atomic energy.
4. What does the narrator want to do in light of the situation?
(a) Marry the girl.
(b) Drink more whisky.
(c) Call his mother.
(d) Go above ground.
5. How long does the Professor say the provisions will keep him alive?
(a) One or two weeks.
(b) One or two days.
(c) Three or four days.
(d) Seven or eight days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel give the narrator to help in walking through the snow?
2. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
3. What does the narrator do to kill time while waiting for his date with the librarian?
4. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
5. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
2. Describe the Town's power source.
3. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
4. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
5. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
6. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
7. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
8. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
9. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
10. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)