|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was born by the sea.
(b) He likes to collect things.
(c) He was a soldier.
(d) He likes the rainfall.
2. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) The System.
(b) The chubby girl.
(c) The Professor.
(d) His mother.
3. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
(a) The apartment has been cleaned up.
(b) The walls have been vandalized.
(c) The apartment is in worse shape than when he left.
(d) The television is gone.
4. What does the narrator first notice about the musical instruments?
(a) He knows how to play them all.
(b) They are old.
(c) They bear traces of their previous owners.
(d) They are in good repair.
5. Where does the chubby girl say she wants to go with the narrator when the reach the subway at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) To Finland.
(b) To his place.
(c) To Disneyland.
(d) To a ball game.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
2. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
3. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
4. Which of the following do the narrator and the librarian NOT have as dessert at the restaurant?
5. What does the shadow call the role of the Dreamreader in his discussion of the loss of mind at the end of Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
2. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
3. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
4. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
5. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
6. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
7. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
8. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
9. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
10. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)