|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song does the narrator listen to just before falling asleep at the waterfront?
(a) I'm Comin' Home.
(b) Danny Boy.
(c) Blowin' in the Wind.
(d) A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall.
2. What does the shadow call the role of the Dreamreader in his discussion of the loss of mind at the end of Chapter 32?
(a) A catalyst.
(b) A scapegoat.
(c) A scout.
(d) A lightning rod.
3. Where does the chubby girl say her grandfather has gone?
(a) To Finland.
(b) To System Headquarters.
(c) On vacation.
(d) To the INKlings' lair.
4. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
5. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) She is hungry.
(b) Junior has broken in.
(c) She is afraid the world is going to end.
(d) The unicorn skull is glowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
2. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
3. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
4. What does the narrator compare his world to while climbing through the escape route in Chapter 29?
5. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
2. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
3. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
4. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
5. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
6. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
7. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
8. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
9. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
10. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)