|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last thing the shadow tells the narrator?
(a) "I won't forget you."
(b) "I'm disappointed in you."
(c) "I loved you."
(d) "I'll come back for you."
2. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
(a) The Librarian.
(b) The Townspeople.
(d) The beasts.
3. What does the narrator eat with his beer at the beer hall after buying his new clothes?
(b) A burger.
(c) A pretzel.
4. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(b) There are no lines leading out.
(c) It seems to be glowing.
(d) It seems to be talking.
5. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
(b) The clothes are all pink.
(c) The clothes still stink from the underground.
(d) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the chubby girl say she wants to go with the narrator when the reach the subway at the end of Chapter 29?
2. What odd gift does the narrator give the librarian at the restaurant in Chapter 35?
3. What compliment does the narrator make the librarian?
4. What does the subway attendant claim is a waste of money while discussing the lost tickets with the narrator?
5. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
2. What does the chubby girl plan to do once the narrator loses consciousness, and why?
3. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
4. What doubts about leaving the Town does the narrator voice to his shadow in Chapter 32?
5. Explain the importance of belief as described in Chapter 34.
6. What does the narrator say he plans to do with the Librarian's mind once he has read it?
7. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
8. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
9. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
10. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)