|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator ask the Librarian to do for him when he is finished reading skulls?
(a) Bring him home.
(b) Make him breakfast.
(c) Wake him up.
(d) Make him some coffee.
2. Why does the Gatekeeper leave the narrator alone with his shadow?
(a) He feels sorry for the narrator.
(b) He thinks they don't get along.
(c) He has work to do.
(d) He can't stand the smell.
3. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
(a) Four cassettes.
(b) Four gateaux.
(c) Four beers.
(d) Four videos.
4. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
(b) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(c) She's never been there before.
(d) It's in the Woods.
5. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that causes the narrator to check each joint and muscle of his body when he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 30?
2. What does the narrator eat with his beer at the beer hall after buying his new clothes?
3. What is the last thing the shadow tells the narrator?
4. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
5. What does the narrator do with the skull at the end of Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the Colonel tells the narrator about the digging of the hole in Chapter 30.
2. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
3. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
4. Explain what the narrator thinks about the stars as he is making his way through the underground escape route towards the end of Chapter 29.
5. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
6. Describe the Town's power source.
7. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
8. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
9. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
10. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)