|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
2. Which of the following do the narrator and the librarian NOT have as dessert at the restaurant?
(a) Lemon soufflé.
(c) Grape ice.
3. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The rain.
(b) The wind.
(c) The flowers.
(d) The leaves.
4. What does the narrator think people want to extend to everything?
5. What does the Librarian ask the Caretaker in the Power Station chapter?
(a) Whether he gets along with the others.
(b) Whether he misses going into the Town.
(c) Whether he's seen an older woman around the Power Station.
(d) Whether he gets along with the Gatekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
2. What does the narrator do with the skull at the end of Chapter 37?
3. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
4. How long does the Professor say the provisions will keep him alive?
5. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "the encyclopedia wand"?
2. Explain the significance of the song "Danny Boy" for the narrator's life.
3. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
4. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
5. How does the narrator whistling "I Go to Pieces" in Chapter 29 relate to the overall storyline?
6. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
7. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
8. Describe the Town's power source.
9. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
10. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)