|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author does the narrator NOT say he likes to read at dinner?
2. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
(a) Join back together.
(b) Tie their belts together.
(c) Trade hats.
(d) Hold hands.
3. What does the Colonel give the narrator to help in walking through the snow?
(b) Snow boots.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) Ski poles.
4. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
(a) The television is gone.
(b) The apartment has been cleaned up.
(c) The apartment is in worse shape than when he left.
(d) The walls have been vandalized.
5. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
(a) He has grown to love dreamreading.
(b) He has to save the Librarian.
(c) He is afraid of the exit.
(d) He has responsibilities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is it when the narrator and the chubby girl finally arrive in the subway system?
2. What does the shadow say the Town's "exit" is guarded by?
3. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
4. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
5. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the Professor says is a way out of the situation the narrator finds himself in in Chapter 27 and why it would work.
2. Describe how the narrator's shadow is living at the beginning of Chapter 32.
3. What does the narrator tell the librarian about why he got divorced?
4. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
5. Explain the beasts' feeding habits as observed in Chapter 26.
6. How does the Caretaker of the Power Station feel about the musical instruments?
7. How does the narrator's shadow say he developed his plan of escape in Chapter 38?
8. Describe the taxi that picks up the narrator and the chubby girl after the exit from the underground in Chapter 31.
9. Given what the narrator tells his shadow about why he plans to stay, what do you think he plans to do with his time in the Town?
10. Explain the parallels between the video game the narrator plays at the beginning of Chapter 35 and his life.
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)