|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say he uses his car for in Chapter 7?
(b) Long drives.
(d) Short outings.
2. What do Junior and Big Boy tell the narrator to tell the System they were looking for?
(a) The skull.
(b) The data.
(c) The notebook.
(d) The safe.
3. How does the narrator get home from the old man's office at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) On the subway.
(b) On foot.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) On a bus.
4. What does the woman ask the narrator to put on at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) A gas mask.
(b) A tie.
(c) A rubber suit and goggles.
(d) A pair of sunglasses.
5. What does the narrator find himself longing for underground?
(b) The morning newspaper.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the dead beasts?
2. What does the narrator believe after he's slammed into the rock slab at the beginning of Chapter 23?
3. What does the narrator make of the librarian's appetite at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What is the first thing the Professor asks for on seeing his granddaughter and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 25?
5. How does the Librarian feel about the Pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's conversation with the Librarian about where he came from tell the reader about the nature of the Town?
2. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
3. Briefly describe the memory the narrator has while climbing the underground tower with the chubby girl.
4. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
5. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
6. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the Woods and the Woodspeople in Chapter 14?
7. Explain what "The End of the World" is according to the Professor's explanation in Chapter 25.
8. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
9. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
10. Explain the narrator's reaction to the skull the Professor gives him as a gift.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)