|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Professor explain the narrator's memory of the dam and the king's coronation?
(a) It was a real memory coming back from his core consciousness.
(b) It was the shadow of a memory from before the shuffle.
(c) It was an artificial memory the Professor made up.
(d) It was an artificial memory the narrator made up.
2. What did the narrator loose upon arriving in the Town?
(a) His shadow.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His voice.
(d) His eyesight.
3. What does the Colonel give the narrator to help nurse him back to health?
(a) A bandage.
(b) A blanket.
4. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's feelings for his shadow in Chapter 8?
(a) He will understand soon.
(b) He will realize that it's for the best.
(c) He will forget.
(d) He will become more and more angry.
5. What do the girl and the narrator appear to be walking on after the rock slab?
(a) A honeycomb.
(b) A train track.
(c) A bridge.
(d) A minefield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator find the Pool?
2. What does the narrator notice about the woman that he follows down the corridor?
3. Where do the narrator and the Librarian look for a musical instrument?
4. When the chubby girl and the narrator reach the lab, what does the chubby girl realize?
5. Where does the woman tell the narrator that he'll find her grandfather's lab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of the beasts introduced in Chapter 2.
2. What do you know about the Pool based on your readings in Chapter 12?
3. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
4. Briefly describe the memory the narrator has while climbing the underground tower with the chubby girl.
5. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
6. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
7. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
8. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
9. What does the narrator realize in Chapter 17 about Junior's reference to a "time bomb"?
10. What is the source of the noise that dominates the first half of Chapter 23?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)