|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the narrator and the Librarian look for a musical instrument?
(a) In the Storeroom.
(b) In the Collection Room.
(c) In the Goods Depot.
(d) At the Train Station.
2. What did the narrator loose upon arriving in the Town?
(a) His voice.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His shadow.
(d) His eyesight.
3. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
(a) The questions are annoying.
(b) There will be no answers today.
(c) Soon he will no longer feel the need to ask.
(d) The narrator asks too many questions.
4. How does the Professor explain the narrator's memory of the dam and the king's coronation?
(a) It was an artificial memory the Professor made up.
(b) It was a real memory coming back from his core consciousness.
(c) It was an artificial memory the narrator made up.
(d) It was the shadow of a memory from before the shuffle.
5. What does the narrator suggest be built for the beasts?
(a) A roofed enclosure.
(b) An outlet to the River.
(c) A larger feeding trough.
(d) A barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old man working on in Chapter 3?
2. What does the narrator tell the librarian to comfort her at the end of Chapter 18?
3. What does the narrator realize has hurt him when he wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 16?
4. What does the narrator find himself longing for underground?
5. How does the Professor explain the fact that the narrator was the only test subject that didn't die.
Short Essay Questions
1. Which unusual things have you noticed about the Town as described in Chapter 4?
2. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
3. Explain where the narrator is at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what he spends his time doing.
4. What do you know about the Pool based on your readings in Chapter 12?
5. What is the source of the noise that dominates the first half of Chapter 23?
6. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
7. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
8. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
9. Describe the differences between Western and Eastern unicorns as presented in Chapter 9.
10. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)