|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator first encounter on his map-making investigations?
(a) An abandoned mill.
(b) A crack in the wall.
(c) Old army barracks.
(d) The Western Woods.
2. Why does the girl say they can't swim to the top of the tower?
(a) The water is INKling-infested.
(b) The water is poisonous.
(c) She can't swim.
(d) They will get sucked into the undertow.
3. What was supposed to happen on the 2nd at noon?
(a) The world was supposed to end.
(b) The program was supposed to detonate.
(c) The program was supposed to be cancelled.
(d) The data was supposed to reshuffle itself.
4. What happens to the dead beasts?
(a) They are thrown into the Pool.
(b) They are left outside the Wall.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They are burned.
5. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
(a) A flame.
(b) A laser.
(c) A blade.
(d) A pencil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old man working on in Chapter 3?
2. What event makes the beasts all stop what they are doing and move simultaneously in one direction in Chapter 2?
3. What does the librarian try to get the narrator to hear while they are lying in bed?
4. Why does the shadow say he needed the map sooner?
5. What do the scientists compare the mind to in explaining the use of his consciousness to the narrator in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
2. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
3. What is the source of the noise that dominates the first half of Chapter 23?
4. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the Woods and the Woodspeople in Chapter 14?
5. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
6. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
7. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
8. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
9. Explain why the Colonel brings up the Librarian in Chapter 16 and what he tells the narrator in regards to her?
10. Explain what "The End of the World" is according to the Professor's explanation in Chapter 25.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)