|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's feelings for his shadow in Chapter 8?
(a) He will become more and more angry.
(b) He will forget.
(c) He will realize that it's for the best.
(d) He will understand soon.
3. What does the librarian ask for in return for a favor at the library in Chapter 7?
(a) A kiss.
(b) Ice cream.
(c) Chinese take-out.
4. Where does the narrator put the skull he's received from the old man?
(a) On top of the TV.
(b) On the sideboard.
(c) In the closet.
(d) Above the fireplace.
5. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
(a) He can close the wound.
(b) He can cancel the awareness of pain.
(c) He can stop the bleeding.
(d) He can turn back time to before the time of the wound.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the smoke that can be seen every day in the Town?
2. What object does the Gatekeeper use to make his point to the narrator that the Wall is perfect in Chapter 10?
3. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
4. Who calls and wakes the narrator up while he is sleeping after finishing his shuffling?
5. The narrator begins Chapter 5 with a lengthy discussion about the quality of which object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say looking for the Librarian's mind is not like looking for raindrops?
2. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
3. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the Woods and the Woodspeople in Chapter 14?
4. How does the narrator react to the musical instruments in Chapter 28?
5. What does the narrator say in Chapter 37 about "...tuning in on the particulars of the world" and why is that important?
6. Describe the scene when the narrator first enters the laundromat.
7. Describe the process for reading dreams.
8. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
9. Describe the Collection Room.
10. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)