|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the woman tell the narrator that he'll find her grandfather's lab?
(a) Over the rainbow.
(b) In the tree.
(c) Beyond the waterfall.
(d) Under the river.
2. Why does the Colonel say the narrator's love for the Librarian may not be prudent?
(a) Without mind, she cannot return his feelings.
(b) She does not care about him; she only helps him because she has to.
(c) She is too young.
(d) She is married.
3. What does the Gatekeeper say about the stash of old clothes?
(a) The narrator can have whatever he wants.
(b) The clothes are off-limits.
(c) The previous owners wouldn't want anyone using the old clothes.
(d) The old clothes are being saved for a special occasion.
4. What does the Colonel give the narrator as winter approaches in Chapter 14?
(a) Winter gloves.
(b) A winter hat.
(c) Winter boots.
(d) A winter coat.
5. What does the Professor say will happen in regards to the narrator's three cognitive circuits?
(a) The circuits have arranged themselves in a never-ending loop.
(b) The program the Professor wrote will kill the second circuit.
(c) The first two circuits are going to burn out.
(d) The narrator will end up stuck in circuit three with no hope of return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old man working on in Chapter 3?
2. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
3. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What does the narrator make of the librarian's appetite at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. Why does the chubby girl say she wears pink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Collection Room.
2. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
3. What does the narrator realize in Chapter 17 about Junior's reference to a "time bomb"?
4. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
5. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
6. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
7. What is the source of the noise that dominates the first half of Chapter 23?
8. Explain why the Colonel brings up the Librarian in Chapter 16 and what he tells the narrator in regards to her?
9. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
10. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)