|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator use to call up the End of the World?
(a) A sound-cue pattern.
(b) A spoken-word pattern.
(c) A program-reversal pattern.
(d) An eye-shifting pattern.
2. Is the narrator going up or down in the elevator at the beginning of the story?
(a) He is going up.
(b) He is going down.
(c) He isn't moving.
(d) He isn't sure.
3. In what way does the Professor say the mind is like Alice in Wonderland?
(a) You never know who you're going to meet.
(b) You need a special drug to get you in.
(c) You can only get in by going through a narrow hole.
(d) Everything is topsy-turvy.
4. What does the Colonel say dying might be for the beasts?
(a) A relief.
(b) Their salvation.
(c) A painful occurrence.
(d) A traumatic experience.
5. What kind of watch is Junior wearing?
(a) A Breitling.
(b) A Swatch.
(c) An Omega.
(d) A Rolex.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the Professor asks for on seeing his granddaughter and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 25?
2. What do Junior and Big Boy do to the narrator, saying they have no choice?
3. What does the narrator tell the librarian to comfort her at the end of Chapter 18?
4. Why does the shadow say he needed the map sooner?
5. What object does the Gatekeeper use to make his point to the narrator that the Wall is perfect in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which unusual things have you noticed about the Town as described in Chapter 4?
2. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
3. What is the source of the noise that dominates the first half of Chapter 23?
4. What information does the chubby girl in pink get from reading her grandfather's notebook in Chapter 19?
5. Describe the Collection Room.
6. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
7. Describe the process for reading dreams.
8. Describe the differences between Western and Eastern unicorns as presented in Chapter 9.
9. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
10. How does the narrator imagine his retirement in Chapter 13?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)