|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator fall asleep at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) In the Library.
(b) In the Woods.
(c) Near the Pool.
(d) At the Gate.
2. What does the narrator use to call up the End of the World?
(a) A program-reversal pattern.
(b) A spoken-word pattern.
(c) A sound-cue pattern.
(d) An eye-shifting pattern.
3. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
(a) He can close the wound.
(b) He can cancel the awareness of pain.
(c) He can turn back time to before the time of the wound.
(d) He can stop the bleeding.
4. What is the second book the narrator reads towards the end of Chapter 15?
(a) The Red and the Black.
(d) Spring Torrents.
5. In what way does the Professor say the mind is like Alice in Wonderland?
(a) You need a special drug to get you in.
(b) Everything is topsy-turvy.
(c) You can only get in by going through a narrow hole.
(d) You never know who you're going to meet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator think about the job he's doing as a dream reader?
2. What does the Gatekeeper say about the stash of old clothes?
3. Where does the woman tell the narrator that he'll find her grandfather's lab?
4. What does the narrator's shadow come to the storeroom to get as an excuse to see the narrator in Chapter 10?
5. The skull from which the narrator is supposed to read the first dream in Chapter 6 is from what animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's conversation with the Librarian about where he came from tell the reader about the nature of the Town?
2. Explain where the narrator is at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what he spends his time doing.
3. Give a brief description of the beasts introduced in Chapter 2.
4. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
5. What is the source of the noise that dominates the first half of Chapter 23?
6. Describe the Colonel and his relationship to the narrator.
7. Describe the process for reading dreams.
8. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
9. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the Woods and the Woodspeople in Chapter 14?
10. Describe the Collection Room.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)