|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event makes the beasts all stop what they are doing and move simultaneously in one direction in Chapter 2?
(a) The blowing of the horn.
(b) The approach of dinnertime.
(c) The call of the Gatekeeper.
(d) The opening of the Gate.
2. What is the first thing the Professor asks for on seeing his granddaughter and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) A telephone.
(b) Something to drink.
(c) An INKling repellant device.
3. What does the librarian ask for in return for a favor at the library in Chapter 7?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) Chinese take-out.
(d) A kiss.
4. Where does the Librarian live?
(a) Beside the Clock Tower.
(b) Beside the Old Bridge.
(c) In the Industrial Quarter.
(d) In the Worker's Quarter.
5. What happens to the dead beasts?
(a) They are thrown into the Pool.
(b) They are left outside the Wall.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They are burned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Professor say will happen in regards to the narrator's three cognitive circuits?
2. What was supposed to happen on the 2nd at noon?
3. Is the narrator going up or down in the elevator at the beginning of the story?
4. What does the Gatekeeper tell the narrator about the Power Station?
5. What does the narrator say may be the signal to put physical pain out of mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the narrator's reaction to the skull the Professor gives him as a gift.
2. Describe the Collection Room.
3. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
4. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
5. What do you know about the Wall surrounding the Town based on your readings in Chapter 10?
6. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
7. Describe the Colonel and his relationship to the narrator.
8. What does the Colonel tell the narrator about the beasts' death in Chapter 20?
9. Explain what "The End of the World" is according to the Professor's explanation in Chapter 25.
10. Which unusual things have you noticed about the Town as described in Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)