|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which landmark does the narrator describe in detail at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The clock tower.
(b) The promenade.
(c) The town park.
(d) The town square.
2. What does the narrator first encounter on his map-making investigations?
(a) Old army barracks.
(b) An abandoned mill.
(c) A crack in the wall.
(d) The Western Woods.
3. What kind of tree did the girl see outside her window while in the hospital?
(a) A camphor tree.
(b) An ash tree.
(c) A cypress tree.
(d) An olive tree.
4. What kind of watch is Junior wearing?
(a) An Omega.
(b) A Swatch.
(c) A Rolex.
(d) A Breitling.
5. What did the Gatekeeper say he was when showing the narrator his arsenal at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A hunter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman ask the narrator to put on at the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. What does the old man say the future will be in Chapter 5?
3. Why does the chubby girl say she wears pink?
4. What does the narrator tell the librarian to comfort her at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What does the narrator say may be the signal to put physical pain out of mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the narrator's reaction to the skull the Professor gives him as a gift.
2. Describe the Collection Room.
3. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
4. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
5. Explain where the narrator is at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what he spends his time doing.
6. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
7. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
8. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
9. What information does the chubby girl in pink get from reading her grandfather's notebook in Chapter 19?
10. Explain why the Colonel brings up the Librarian in Chapter 16 and what he tells the narrator in regards to her?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)