|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find himself longing for underground?
(b) The morning newspaper.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A girlfriend.
2. What does the narrator suggest be built for the beasts?
(a) A barn.
(b) A roofed enclosure.
(c) An outlet to the River.
(d) A larger feeding trough.
3. Why does the girl say they can't swim to the top of the tower?
(a) The water is INKling-infested.
(b) They will get sucked into the undertow.
(c) The water is poisonous.
(d) She can't swim.
4. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. What does the Gatekeeper say the narrator will see if he climbs the Watchtower?
(a) The layout of the Town.
(b) A winter treat.
(c) A big surprise.
(d) His shadow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Gatekeeper say about the stash of old clothes?
2. What event makes the beasts all stop what they are doing and move simultaneously in one direction in Chapter 2?
3. How does the Professor explain the fact that the narrator was the only test subject that didn't die.
4. What do the girl and the narrator find half-way up the tower?
5. What does the narrator count while in the elevator at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37? Explain what happens and how the librarian and narrator react.
2. What is the significance of the narrator's realization of what the accordion is and how to use it?
3. Why does the Librarian say the accordion is "the key" in Chapter 36?
4. Describe the process for reading dreams.
5. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
6. What do you know about the Pool based on your readings in Chapter 12?
7. Which situation does the narrator define as "despair" in Chapter 33?
8. Describe the significance of the music in Chapter 36.
9. What does the narrator do after arriving in his apartment in Chapter 31?
10. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)