|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Junior and Big Boy do to the narrator, saying they have no choice?
(a) They slice his abdomen.
(b) They shave off his hair and cut his scalp.
(c) They gouge his eyes.
(d) They castrate him.
2. Why does the narrator say he has no intention of turning in his Calcutec qualifications in Chapter 11?
(a) He feels called to do his job.
(b) He can't imagine doing anything else.
(c) He doesn't mind the bureaucracy.
(d) The pay is so good.
3. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
(a) He can close the wound.
(b) He can stop the bleeding.
(c) He can cancel the awareness of pain.
(d) He can turn back time to before the time of the wound.
4. How does the narrator get home from the old man's office at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) On a bus.
(b) On the subway.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) On foot.
5. Where does the narrator say the smoke comes from?
(a) The Apple Grove.
(b) The Eastern Woods.
(c) The Worker's Quarter.
(d) The Southern Hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's feelings for his shadow in Chapter 8?
2. Why does the girl say they can't swim to the top of the tower?
3. What is the second book the narrator reads towards the end of Chapter 15?
4. What does the Colonel give the narrator as winter approaches in Chapter 14?
5. What does the narrator count while in the elevator at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
2. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
3. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
4. Explain the narrator's reaction to the skull the Professor gives him as a gift.
5. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
6. Describe the differences between Western and Eastern unicorns as presented in Chapter 9.
7. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
8. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
9. Describe the process for reading dreams.
10. Which unusual things have you noticed about the Town as described in Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)