|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator pass the sunny days?
(a) Talking walks in the Woods.
(b) Reading in the Library.
(c) Face down in bed.
(d) Playing chess with the Colonel.
2. What does the narrator make of the librarian's appetite at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He thinks it's a little disgusting.
(b) He isn't surprised, given her frame.
(c) He doesn't understand why women always seem to be on a diet.
(d) He is worried she doesn't spend enough money on food.
3. What does the narrator tell the Gatekeeper about his shadow at the end of Chapter 24?
(a) He doesn't know if it was good to visit his shadow.
(b) He is worried about his shadow.
(c) His shadow seems weak.
(d) He has decided to give up on his shadow.
4. What does the narrator realize has hurt him when he wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) A beast.
(b) The sun.
(c) The winter.
(d) A skull.
5. Where does the narrator find the Pool?
(a) In the North.
(b) In the South.
(c) In the East.
(d) In the West.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator use to call up the End of the World?
2. What does the Professor say will happen in regards to the narrator's three cognitive circuits?
3. What creatures do the girl and the narrator meet underground?
4. What is the first thing the Professor asks for on seeing his granddaughter and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 25?
5. Why does the narrator think about the job he's doing as a dream reader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Collection Room.
2. Why does the Professor say in Chapter 25 that he gave the narrator the data to shuffle with the terminal program?
3. What does Junior tell the narrator to tell the System about their visit and the wound? Why?
4. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
5. Explain what "The End of the World" is according to the Professor's explanation in Chapter 25.
6. Explain how the relationship between the narrator and the young woman develops in Chapter 5.
7. What do you know about the narrator's job based on your reading of Chapter 3?
8. What does the narrator realize in Chapter 17 about Junior's reference to a "time bomb"?
9. Describe where the narrator's shadow lives.
10. What do you know about the Pool based on your readings in Chapter 12?
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)