|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about the poster of Frankfurt at the supermarket that makes the narrator uneasy?
(a) It looks cold.
(b) He gets chills when he sees tall, sharp spires.
(c) He is afraid of Germans.
(d) He doesn't like the people's not-watching-anything gaze.
2. Where do the narrator and the Librarian look for a musical instrument?
(a) In the Goods Depot.
(b) In the Collection Room.
(c) At the Train Station.
(d) In the Storeroom.
3. What topic of conversation makes the narrator uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
(a) The old man's sex drive.
(b) His own sex drive.
(c) The old man's granddaughter's sex drive.
(d) The INKlings' sex drive.
4. What does the narrator wish he could be, in thinking about the girl in the Skyline?
5. Where does the librarian say the unicorn skull was lost while recounting the story of Professor Petrov in Chapter 9?
(a) In the Ukraine.
(b) In Stalingrad.
(c) In Moscow.
(d) In Leningrad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is the narrator going up or down in the elevator at the beginning of the story?
2. How does the Librarian feel about the Pool?
3. What did the narrator loose upon arriving in the Town?
4. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's feelings for his shadow in Chapter 8?
5. What does the narrator's shadow come to the storeroom to get as an excuse to see the narrator in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the narrator's reaction to the skull the Professor gives him as a gift.
2. Describe the procedure the narrator goes through to prepare for shuffling.
3. Explain what "The End of the World" is according to the Professor's explanation in Chapter 25.
4. What does the Librarian say she particularly remembers about her mother in Chapter 22? How does the narrator explain this memory?
5. What does the Gatekeeper have to say about the fact that the narrator got lost in the Woods and fell ill?
6. What does the narrator's conversation with the Librarian about where he came from tell the reader about the nature of the Town?
7. Explain the significance of the paperclips in Chapter 21.
8. Describe the Collection Room.
9. Why does the chubby girl think her grandfather's lab hasn't been broken into in Chapter 21?
10. Briefly describe the memory the narrator has while climbing the underground tower with the chubby girl.
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)