|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) It seems to be glowing.
(b) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(c) There are no lines leading out.
(d) It seems to be talking.
2. Where does the shadow tell the narrator they're going?
(a) To the Watchtower.
(b) To the barracks.
(c) To the Pool.
(d) To the Woods.
3. What is the first thing the narrator mentions when telling his shadow about his doubts?
(a) He doesn't know if his former life is worth returning to.
(b) He likes it that the Townspeople have no worries.
(c) He's become attached to the Librarian.
(d) He likes watching the beasts.
4. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
(c) A sense of justice.
5. Why does the narrator rent the car?
(a) He doesn't want to drive his own car.
(b) He doesn't want to go back into the subway.
(c) He wants to impress his date.
(d) He doesn't want to show up with the sports bag in hand.
6. Which author does the narrator NOT say he likes to read at dinner?
7. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
(a) He wipes the dust off the lettering on the instrument.
(b) The Colonel unwillingly tells him.
(c) He hears a voice tell him the name.
(d) He remembers his mother saying so.
8. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) She's never been there before.
(b) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
(c) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(d) It's in the Woods.
9. What does the narrator ask the Librarian to do for him when he is finished reading skulls?
(a) Make him breakfast.
(b) Bring him home.
(c) Wake him up.
(d) Make him some coffee.
10. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
(a) His heart starts to ache.
(b) His vision heals.
(c) He realizes he has to leave the Town.
(d) He starts to cry.
11. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
(a) The End of the World.
(b) The flight of the birds overhead.
(c) The thought of the accordion.
(d) The sound of the snow underfoot.
12. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The skulls.
(c) The accordion.
(d) The Gatekeeper.
13. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
(a) The Autumn.
(b) The Winter.
14. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
(a) The walls have been vandalized.
(b) The apartment has been cleaned up.
(c) The apartment is in worse shape than when he left.
(d) The television is gone.
15. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) Crime and Punishment.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) The Brothers Karamazov.
(d) Anna Karenina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator first notice about the musical instruments?
2. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
3. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
4. What does the Librarian compare looking for her mind to?
5. Where does the chubby girl say her grandfather has gone?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)