|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
(a) Georgia on My Mind.
(b) Danny Boy.
(c) Autumn Leaves.
(d) I'll Be Home.
2. What does the narrator first notice about the musical instruments?
(a) He knows how to play them all.
(b) They are old.
(c) They are in good repair.
(d) They bear traces of their previous owners.
3. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
(a) He realizes he has to leave the Town.
(b) His vision heals.
(c) He starts to cry.
(d) His heart starts to ache.
4. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
(a) Learning to sail.
(b) Divorcing his wife.
(c) Watching Casablanca.
(d) Reading The Greening of America.
5. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
6. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
(a) Four gateaux.
(b) Four beers.
(c) Four videos.
(d) Four cassettes.
7. What is the first thing the narrator mentions when telling his shadow about his doubts?
(a) He's become attached to the Librarian.
(b) He doesn't know if his former life is worth returning to.
(c) He likes watching the beasts.
(d) He likes it that the Townspeople have no worries.
8. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
(a) The Colonel unwillingly tells him.
(b) He wipes the dust off the lettering on the instrument.
(c) He remembers his mother saying so.
(d) He hears a voice tell him the name.
9. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was born by the sea.
(b) He likes to collect things.
(c) He likes the rainfall.
(d) He was a soldier.
10. How long does the narrator say it will take him to read out the Librarian's mind?
(a) All night.
(b) All year.
(c) All week.
(d) All winter.
11. Where does the narrator say he and the girl got on the subway when asked by the subway attendant?
(d) Aoyama Itchome.
12. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
(a) The Winter.
(d) The Autumn.
13. What does the Librarian compare the warmth of the narrator's hand to?
(a) The Summer.
(b) The Spring.
(c) The sun.
(d) A fire.
14. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
(a) Trade hats.
(b) Tie their belts together.
(c) Hold hands.
(d) Join back together.
15. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
(a) Turgenev's On the Eve.
(b) Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
(c) Balzac's Chouans.
(d) Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the shadow know the Town has an exit?
2. What does the narrator think people want to extend to everything?
3. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
4. Which author does the narrator NOT say he likes to read at dinner?
5. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)