|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the narrator as he passes by the INKlings' lair?
(a) He gets liquefied.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He gets sucked in.
(d) He stops moving and has a hard time starting again.
2. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) Escape routes.
(c) New realities.
(d) New circuits.
3. What does the narrator think people want to extend to everything?
4. What does the narrator eat with his beer at the beer hall after buying his new clothes?
(a) A pretzel.
(c) A burger.
5. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
(a) He has to save the Librarian.
(b) He has grown to love dreamreading.
(c) He is afraid of the exit.
(d) He has responsibilities.
6. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) The Brothers Karamazov.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) Anna Karenina.
(d) Crime and Punishment.
7. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
(a) They're often edgy.
(b) They're often uncertain.
(c) They're often arrogant.
(d) They're often unimaginative.
8. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
(d) A sense of justice.
9. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
(a) Four gateaux.
(b) Four videos.
(c) Four cassettes.
(d) Four beers.
10. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
(a) Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.
(b) Turgenev's On the Eve.
(c) Balzac's Chouans.
(d) Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
11. What does the narrator's shadow say he can't do?
(a) He can't breathe.
(b) He can't leave.
(c) He can't walk.
(d) He can't talk.
12. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
13. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(d) Beast meat.
14. What escape does the Professor offer for the dilemma the narrator is faced with?
(a) If he can unshuffle the data, the program will end automatically.
(b) If the Factory gets the data, the program will end automatically.
(c) If he dies now, all three of his circuits will die with him.
(d) If the System finds out about the research, they will abort the program.
15. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A guitar.
(c) An accordion.
(d) A harmonica.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
2. How long does the Professor say the provisions will keep him alive?
3. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
4. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
5. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)