|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
2. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
(a) In Frankfurt.
(b) In New York.
(c) In London.
(d) In Zurich.
3. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) The Brothers Karamazov.
(c) Crime and Punishment.
(d) Anna Karenina.
4. How long does the Professor say the provisions will keep him alive?
(a) One or two weeks.
(b) Three or four days.
(c) Seven or eight days.
(d) One or two days.
5. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
(a) The apartment has been cleaned up.
(b) The television is gone.
(c) The apartment is in worse shape than when he left.
(d) The walls have been vandalized.
6. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) Junior has broken in.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) The unicorn skull is glowing.
(d) She is afraid the world is going to end.
7. What does the narrator say the Librarian can never do since she has no mind?
(a) She can never need him.
(b) She can never love him.
(c) She can never miss him.
(d) She can never remember him.
8. What does the narrator want to do in light of the situation?
(a) Call his mother.
(b) Drink more whisky.
(c) Marry the girl.
(d) Go above ground.
9. Where does the narrator take the librarian on his last morning?
(a) To the park.
(b) To the pier.
(c) To a French patisserie.
(d) To a ballgame.
10. What day is it when the narrator and the chubby girl finally arrive in the subway system?
11. What odd gift does the narrator give the librarian at the restaurant in Chapter 35?
(a) An eggbeater.
(b) A pair of nail clippers.
(c) A white lace collar.
(d) A hammer.
12. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
13. What does the narrator do to kill time while waiting for his date with the librarian?
(a) Play a video game.
(b) Sit in a café.
(c) Read the newspaper.
(d) Go jogging.
14. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
(a) The beasts.
(b) The Townspeople.
(d) The Librarian.
15. Which song does the narrator finally begin to play on the accordion?
(a) Georgia on My Mind.
(b) The Star Spangled Banner.
(c) Danny Boy.
(d) Blowin' in the Wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Librarian compare the warmth of the narrator's hand to?
2. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
3. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
4. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
5. How does the Colonel say the Town feels about the passing of a shadow?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)