|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing the narrator mentions when telling his shadow about his doubts?
(a) He's become attached to the Librarian.
(b) He likes watching the beasts.
(c) He likes it that the Townspeople have no worries.
(d) He doesn't know if his former life is worth returning to.
2. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) The System.
(b) The chubby girl.
(c) The Professor.
(d) His mother.
3. What does the shadow call the process of removing the discharges of mind that rise each day?
(a) Filtering out.
(b) Skimming off.
4. What kind of power is the Town apparently running on?
(a) Atomic energy.
(c) Wind energy.
(d) Water energy.
5. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
(a) They're often edgy.
(b) They're often unimaginative.
(c) They're often arrogant.
(d) They're often uncertain.
6. What is it that causes the narrator to check each joint and muscle of his body when he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 30?
(a) He has a terrible headache.
(b) He hears a strange noise in his head.
(c) He wonders if he is still alive.
(d) He feels stiff and motionless.
7. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
8. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
(a) The Colonel.
(b) The Librarian.
(c) The Gatekeeper.
(d) The beasts.
9. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
(a) She has no mind.
(b) The Gatekeeper would never allow it.
(c) She is afraid of the Woods.
(d) She is conflicted.
10. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) The unicorn skull is glowing.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) She is afraid the world is going to end.
(d) Junior has broken in.
11. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) The Brothers Karamazov.
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) War and Peace.
(d) Crime and Punishment.
12. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
(a) Four gateaux.
(b) Four cassettes.
(c) Four videos.
(d) Four beers.
13. Why does the Gatekeeper leave the narrator alone with his shadow?
(a) He thinks they don't get along.
(b) He can't stand the smell.
(c) He has work to do.
(d) He feels sorry for the narrator.
14. What does the shadow call the role of the Dreamreader in his discussion of the loss of mind at the end of Chapter 32?
(a) A catalyst.
(b) A scout.
(c) A lightning rod.
(d) A scapegoat.
15. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) It's in the Woods.
(b) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
(c) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(d) She's never been there before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Librarian say the Dreamreader can't free her mind?
2. What song does the narrator begin to whistle in the sewer side vent?
3. What song does the narrator listen to just before falling asleep at the waterfront?
4. What is the last thing the shadow tells the narrator?
5. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)