|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Librarian compare looking for her mind to?
(a) Looking for lost leaves on the ground.
(b) Looking for lost needles in a haystack.
(c) Looking for lost birds in the skies.
(d) Looking for lost drops of rain in a river.
2. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) It seems to be talking.
(b) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(c) There are no lines leading out.
(d) It seems to be glowing.
3. What song does the narrator begin to whistle in the sewer side vent?
(a) All Along the Watchtower.
(b) Purple Rain.
(c) Blowin' in the Wind.
(d) I Go to Pieces.
4. What is it that causes the narrator to check each joint and muscle of his body when he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 30?
(a) He has a terrible headache.
(b) He wonders if he is still alive.
(c) He feels stiff and motionless.
(d) He hears a strange noise in his head.
5. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
(a) Tie their belts together.
(b) Join back together.
(c) Hold hands.
(d) Trade hats.
6. What does the narrator compare his world to while climbing through the escape route in Chapter 29?
(a) Gaien Park.
(b) A credit card.
(c) A unicorn.
(d) A blue tweed suit.
7. What does the narrator's shadow say he can't do?
(a) He can't breathe.
(b) He can't walk.
(c) He can't talk.
(d) He can't leave.
8. What does the subway attendant claim is a waste of money while discussing the lost tickets with the narrator?
(a) Subway fares.
(b) McDonald's coffee.
(c) Baseball games.
(d) Starbuck's coffee.
9. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(b) New realities.
(c) Escape routes.
(d) New circuits.
10. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
(b) The Winter.
(d) The Autumn.
11. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(b) It's in the Woods.
(c) She's never been there before.
(d) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
12. What does the narrator do with the skull at the end of Chapter 37?
(a) He leaves it at the subway station.
(b) He sends it to the chubby girl.
(c) He disposes of it.
(d) He gives it to the librarian as a gift.
13. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
(a) They're often unimaginative.
(b) They're often uncertain.
(c) They're often arrogant.
(d) They're often edgy.
14. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
15. Where does the narrator say he and the girl got on the subway when asked by the subway attendant?
(c) Aoyama Itchome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
2. What does the narrator say the Librarian can never do since she has no mind?
3. How does the shadow know the Town has an exit?
4. What does the shadow call the process of removing the discharges of mind that rise each day?
5. Where does the shadow tell the narrator they're going?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)