|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the narrator as he passes by the INKlings' lair?
(a) He gets sucked in.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He stops moving and has a hard time starting again.
(d) He gets liquefied.
2. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The rain.
(b) The wind.
(c) The flowers.
(d) The leaves.
3. What does the shadow say the Town's "exit" is guarded by?
4. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
(b) A balloon.
(d) A cigar.
5. What does the shadow call the role of the Dreamreader in his discussion of the loss of mind at the end of Chapter 32?
(a) A scout.
(b) A lightning rod.
(c) A scapegoat.
(d) A catalyst.
6. What song does the narrator listen to just before falling asleep at the waterfront?
(a) A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall.
(b) Danny Boy.
(c) Blowin' in the Wind.
(d) I'm Comin' Home.
7. What does the narrator do with the skull at the end of Chapter 37?
(a) He leaves it at the subway station.
(b) He disposes of it.
(c) He sends it to the chubby girl.
(d) He gives it to the librarian as a gift.
8. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
(a) The End of the World.
(b) The sound of the snow underfoot.
(c) The flight of the birds overhead.
(d) The thought of the accordion.
9. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
(b) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
(c) The clothes still stink from the underground.
(d) The clothes are all pink.
10. How long does the narrator say it will take him to read out the Librarian's mind?
(a) All week.
(b) All year.
(c) All winter.
(d) All night.
11. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
(a) His heart starts to ache.
(b) He realizes he has to leave the Town.
(c) His vision heals.
(d) He starts to cry.
12. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
(a) The apartment has been cleaned up.
(b) The apartment is in worse shape than when he left.
(c) The walls have been vandalized.
(d) The television is gone.
13. Where does the narrator take the librarian on his last morning?
(a) To the park.
(b) To the pier.
(c) To a French patisserie.
(d) To a ballgame.
14. What does the narrator think people want to extend to everything?
15. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
(a) The beasts.
(b) The Librarian.
(c) The Townspeople.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
2. What does the narrator first notice about the musical instruments?
3. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
4. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
5. What kind of power is the Town apparently running on?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)