|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
(a) The Gatekeeper.
(b) The beasts.
(c) The Woodspeople.
(d) The Townspeople.
2. What does the narrator compare his memory of visiting the Power Station to?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A dream.
(c) A joke.
(d) A fog.
3. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
4. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
5. How does the Colonel say the Town feels about the passing of a shadow?
(a) They don't talk about it.
(b) It is a solemn event.
(c) They are relieved that the shadow is finally gone.
(d) It is wonderful to be freed of the weight.
6. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The wind.
(b) The flowers.
(c) The rain.
(d) The leaves.
7. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
(a) He has responsibilities.
(b) He has to save the Librarian.
(c) He has grown to love dreamreading.
(d) He is afraid of the exit.
8. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
(a) To occupy his hands.
(b) To leave a trail.
(c) To keep away the INKlings.
(d) To keep his aura magnetized.
9. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
(a) They're often uncertain.
(b) They're often unimaginative.
(c) They're often arrogant.
(d) They're often edgy.
10. How long does the narrator say it will take him to read out the Librarian's mind?
(a) All week.
(b) All night.
(c) All year.
(d) All winter.
11. What does the narrator say the Librarian can never do since she has no mind?
(a) She can never remember him.
(b) She can never need him.
(c) She can never love him.
(d) She can never miss him.
12. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
(a) In Frankfurt.
(b) In New York.
(c) In London.
(d) In Zurich.
13. Where does the narrator say he and the girl got on the subway when asked by the subway attendant?
(c) Aoyama Itchome.
14. What has happened to the hole the men dug outside the narrator's window?
(a) It is full of beasts.
(b) It has disappeared.
(c) It has been filled back in.
(d) It has filled with snow.
15. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
(a) Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
(b) Balzac's Chouans.
(c) Turgenev's On the Eve.
(d) Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
2. What odd gift does the narrator give the librarian at the restaurant in Chapter 35?
3. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
4. What compliment does the narrator make the librarian?
5. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)