|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Librarian compare the warmth of the narrator's hand to?
(a) The Spring.
(b) The sun.
(c) The Summer.
(d) A fire.
2. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He likes the rainfall.
(b) He likes to collect things.
(c) He was born by the sea.
(d) He was a soldier.
3. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In the Watchtower.
(c) In the lean-to.
(d) Under the tree.
4. What does the narrator do to kill time while waiting for his date with the librarian?
(a) Read the newspaper.
(b) Play a video game.
(c) Go jogging.
(d) Sit in a café.
5. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
(a) The Gatekeeper.
(b) The Woodspeople.
(c) The beasts.
(d) The Townspeople.
6. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) It's in the Woods.
(b) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
(c) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(d) She's never been there before.
7. What day is it when the narrator and the chubby girl finally arrive in the subway system?
8. How does the Colonel say the Town feels about the passing of a shadow?
(a) It is a solemn event.
(b) They are relieved that the shadow is finally gone.
(c) They don't talk about it.
(d) It is wonderful to be freed of the weight.
9. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
(a) The Gatekeeper would never allow it.
(b) She has no mind.
(c) She is conflicted.
(d) She is afraid of the Woods.
10. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
(a) They have run out of things to say to each other.
(b) There's no need to talk.
(c) They are worried someone will hear them.
(d) The Librarian is still angry that they narrator decided to go against her will.
11. Where does the shadow tell the narrator they're going?
(a) To the Pool.
(b) To the barracks.
(c) To the Woods.
(d) To the Watchtower.
12. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
(a) Turgenev's On the Eve.
(b) Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
(c) Balzac's Chouans.
(d) Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.
13. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
(a) An accordion.
(b) A harmonica.
(c) A trumpet.
(d) A guitar.
14. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
(a) The Townspeople.
(c) The Librarian.
(d) The beasts.
15. Why does the Gatekeeper leave the narrator alone with his shadow?
(a) He thinks they don't get along.
(b) He can't stand the smell.
(c) He feels sorry for the narrator.
(d) He has work to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
2. What does the narrator say the Librarian can never do since she has no mind?
3. Where does the narrator take the librarian on his last morning?
4. What happens to the narrator as he passes by the INKlings' lair?
5. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)