|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that causes the narrator to check each joint and muscle of his body when he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 30?
(a) He feels stiff and motionless.
(b) He has a terrible headache.
(c) He wonders if he is still alive.
(d) He hears a strange noise in his head.
2. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
(a) The Librarian.
(b) The Townspeople.
(c) The beasts.
3. Where does the narrator take the librarian on his last morning?
(a) To a ballgame.
(b) To the park.
(c) To a French patisserie.
(d) To the pier.
4. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
(b) A balloon.
(d) A cigar.
5. What happens to the narrator as he passes by the INKlings' lair?
(a) He gets sucked in.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He stops moving and has a hard time starting again.
(d) He gets liquefied.
6. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(a) Beast meat.
7. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
(a) A harmonica.
(b) A guitar.
(c) An accordion.
(d) A trumpet.
8. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
(a) In the lean-to.
(b) Under the tree.
(c) In the cellar.
(d) In the Watchtower.
9. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
10. Why does the Caretaker collect the instruments?
(a) He finds them beautiful.
(b) He gets lonely and the sound comforts him.
(c) He needs a hobby to occupy his time.
(d) He feels that the previous owners would have wanted someone to look out for them.
11. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
(a) The Librarian.
(b) The beasts.
(c) The Colonel.
(d) The Gatekeeper.
12. What kind of power is the Town apparently running on?
(a) Wind energy.
(c) Water energy.
(d) Atomic energy.
13. Where does the shadow tell the narrator they're going?
(a) To the Woods.
(b) To the Pool.
(c) To the Watchtower.
(d) To the barracks.
14. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) Crime and Punishment.
(b) Anna Karenina.
(c) War and Peace.
(d) The Brothers Karamazov.
15. What has happened to the hole the men dug outside the narrator's window?
(a) It is full of beasts.
(b) It has filled with snow.
(c) It has been filled back in.
(d) It has disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Librarian compare looking for her mind to?
2. What song does the narrator listen to just before falling asleep at the waterfront?
3. What does the narrator ask the Librarian to do for him when he is finished reading skulls?
4. What odd gift does the narrator give the librarian at the restaurant in Chapter 35?
5. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)