|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
(a) Divorcing his wife.
(b) Watching Casablanca.
(c) Reading The Greening of America.
(d) Learning to sail.
2. What does the Librarian compare the warmth of the narrator's hand to?
(a) The Summer.
(b) The sun.
(c) A fire.
(d) The Spring.
3. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
(a) To keep away the INKlings.
(b) To occupy his hands.
(c) To keep his aura magnetized.
(d) To leave a trail.
4. Where does the chubby girl say she wants to go with the narrator when the reach the subway at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) To Disneyland.
(b) To his place.
(c) To Finland.
(d) To a ball game.
5. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) The clothes are all pink.
(b) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
(c) The clothes still stink from the underground.
(d) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
6. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
(c) A cigar.
(d) A balloon.
7. Where does the chubby girl say her grandfather has gone?
(a) To System Headquarters.
(b) To the INKlings' lair.
(c) On vacation.
(d) To Finland.
8. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
(a) A guitar.
(b) A trumpet.
(c) An accordion.
(d) A harmonica.
9. What is it that causes the narrator to check each joint and muscle of his body when he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 30?
(a) He hears a strange noise in his head.
(b) He has a terrible headache.
(c) He wonders if he is still alive.
(d) He feels stiff and motionless.
10. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(b) Beast meat.
11. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
(a) In New York.
(b) In London.
(c) In Zurich.
(d) In Frankfurt.
12. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
(a) The Autumn.
(c) The Winter.
13. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) It's in the Woods.
(b) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(c) She's never been there before.
(d) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
14. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
(a) Georgia on My Mind.
(b) Autumn Leaves.
(c) I'll Be Home.
(d) Danny Boy.
15. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing the shadow tells the narrator?
2. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
3. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
4. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
5. What does the narrator do to kill time while waiting for his date with the librarian?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)