|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was born by the sea.
(b) He likes to collect things.
(c) He likes the rainfall.
(d) He was a soldier.
2. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Crime and Punishment.
(c) The Brothers Karamazov.
(d) Anna Karenina.
3. Where does the chubby girl say she wants to go with the narrator when the reach the subway at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) To a ball game.
(b) To Disneyland.
(c) To Finland.
(d) To his place.
4. What does the Caretaker of the Power Station make for his guests in Chapter 28?
5. What compliment does the narrator make the librarian?
(a) She has great legs.
(b) She has a great butt.
(c) She's a great kisser.
(d) She has lovely hair.
6. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(b) Beast meat.
7. What song does the narrator listen to just before falling asleep at the waterfront?
(a) A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall.
(b) Blowin' in the Wind.
(c) I'm Comin' Home.
(d) Danny Boy.
8. What does the narrator want to do in light of the situation?
(a) Go above ground.
(b) Marry the girl.
(c) Drink more whisky.
(d) Call his mother.
9. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
(a) The beasts.
(b) The Gatekeeper.
(c) The Librarian.
(d) The Colonel.
10. What effect does the whiskey have on the narrator in Chapter 27?
(a) It doesn't register.
(b) It makes him laugh.
(c) It makes him cry.
(d) It makes him woozy.
11. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
(a) The accordion.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The skulls.
(d) The Gatekeeper.
12. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The wind.
(b) The flowers.
(c) The rain.
(d) The leaves.
13. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
(a) That she is a strong swimmer.
(b) That what her grandfather did was wrong.
(c) That the System isn't as good as he thought.
(d) That she thinks he's a nice guy.
14. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
(a) He has grown to love dreamreading.
(b) He is afraid of the exit.
(c) He has to save the Librarian.
(d) He has responsibilities.
15. What is the first thing the narrator mentions when telling his shadow about his doubts?
(a) He likes it that the Townspeople have no worries.
(b) He doesn't know if his former life is worth returning to.
(c) He's become attached to the Librarian.
(d) He likes watching the beasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the shadow say the Town's "exit" is guarded by?
2. What does the narrator do to kill time while waiting for his date with the librarian?
3. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
4. Where does the narrator take the librarian on his last morning?
5. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)