|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) She's never been there before.
(b) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
(c) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(d) It's in the Woods.
2. What is the first thing the narrator mentions when telling his shadow about his doubts?
(a) He likes it that the Townspeople have no worries.
(b) He doesn't know if his former life is worth returning to.
(c) He likes watching the beasts.
(d) He's become attached to the Librarian.
3. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
(d) A sense of justice.
4. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
(a) They have run out of things to say to each other.
(b) There's no need to talk.
(c) They are worried someone will hear them.
(d) The Librarian is still angry that they narrator decided to go against her will.
5. Why does the Librarian say the Dreamreader can't free her mind?
(a) Minds can never be freed again.
(b) Minds are not taken in whole by the beasts, but in fragments.
(c) Her mind was lost too long ago.
(d) It is too dangerous an undertaking.
6. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) The Professor.
(b) The chubby girl.
(c) The System.
(d) His mother.
7. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
(a) The Colonel.
(b) The Gatekeeper.
(c) The Librarian.
(d) The beasts.
8. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) The clothes still stink from the underground.
(b) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
(c) The clothes are all pink.
(d) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
9. What song does the narrator begin to whistle in the sewer side vent?
(a) Blowin' in the Wind.
(b) I Go to Pieces.
(c) Purple Rain.
(d) All Along the Watchtower.
10. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
(a) He remembers his mother saying so.
(b) The Colonel unwillingly tells him.
(c) He wipes the dust off the lettering on the instrument.
(d) He hears a voice tell him the name.
11. What does the subway attendant claim is a waste of money while discussing the lost tickets with the narrator?
(a) Baseball games.
(b) Subway fares.
(c) McDonald's coffee.
(d) Starbuck's coffee.
12. At the end of the book, why does the narrator say he has to stay?
(a) He is afraid of the exit.
(b) He has grown to love dreamreading.
(c) He has responsibilities.
(d) He has to save the Librarian.
13. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) New realities.
(b) Escape routes.
(c) New circuits.
14. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
(a) The Librarian.
(c) The Townspeople.
(d) The beasts.
15. What escape does the Professor offer for the dilemma the narrator is faced with?
(a) If he can unshuffle the data, the program will end automatically.
(b) If he dies now, all three of his circuits will die with him.
(c) If the Factory gets the data, the program will end automatically.
(d) If the System finds out about the research, they will abort the program.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
2. Where does the shadow tell the narrator they're going?
3. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
4. Which author does the narrator NOT say he likes to read at dinner?
5. How long does the Professor say the provisions will keep him alive?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)