|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the subway attendant claim is a waste of money while discussing the lost tickets with the narrator?
(a) McDonald's coffee.
(b) Starbuck's coffee.
(c) Subway fares.
(d) Baseball games.
2. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was a soldier.
(b) He likes the rainfall.
(c) He was born by the sea.
(d) He likes to collect things.
3. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
(a) The beasts.
(b) The Gatekeeper.
(c) The Townspeople.
(d) The Woodspeople.
4. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The wind.
(b) The leaves.
(c) The rain.
(d) The flowers.
5. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
6. Which author does the narrator NOT say he likes to read at dinner?
7. What does the narrator want to do in light of the situation?
(a) Call his mother.
(b) Go above ground.
(c) Marry the girl.
(d) Drink more whisky.
8. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) A guitar.
(c) An accordion.
(d) A harmonica.
9. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
(a) Under the tree.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the Watchtower.
(d) In the lean-to.
10. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
(a) The Colonel unwillingly tells him.
(b) He remembers his mother saying so.
(c) He hears a voice tell him the name.
(d) He wipes the dust off the lettering on the instrument.
11. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(b) Beast meat.
12. Where does the narrator take the librarian on his last morning?
(a) To a ballgame.
(b) To the park.
(c) To a French patisserie.
(d) To the pier.
13. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
(a) They're often unimaginative.
(b) They're often edgy.
(c) They're often arrogant.
(d) They're often uncertain.
14. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
(a) There's no need to talk.
(b) They have run out of things to say to each other.
(c) The Librarian is still angry that they narrator decided to go against her will.
(d) They are worried someone will hear them.
15. Where does the chubby girl say she wants to go with the narrator when the reach the subway at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) To Finland.
(b) To his place.
(c) To a ball game.
(d) To Disneyland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Librarian say the Dreamreader can't free her mind?
2. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
3. What does the narrator do to kill time while waiting for his date with the librarian?
4. What does the narrator buy while waiting for the clothes to dry?
5. What happens to the skulls when the narrator begins to play the music?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)