|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
2. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
(a) Georgia on My Mind.
(b) Autumn Leaves.
(c) Danny Boy.
(d) I'll Be Home.
3. What does the shadow call the role of the Dreamreader in his discussion of the loss of mind at the end of Chapter 32?
(a) A scapegoat.
(b) A lightning rod.
(c) A catalyst.
(d) A scout.
4. What is it that causes the narrator to check each joint and muscle of his body when he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 30?
(a) He hears a strange noise in his head.
(b) He feels stiff and motionless.
(c) He wonders if he is still alive.
(d) He has a terrible headache.
5. Why don't the Librarian and the narrator talk on the way to the Power Station?
(a) They have run out of things to say to each other.
(b) There's no need to talk.
(c) They are worried someone will hear them.
(d) The Librarian is still angry that they narrator decided to go against her will.
6. Where does the narrator say he and the girl got on the subway when asked by the subway attendant?
(b) Aoyama Itchome.
7. How long does the narrator say it will take him to read out the Librarian's mind?
(a) All year.
(b) All night.
(c) All winter.
(d) All week.
8. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(b) It seems to be glowing.
(c) It seems to be talking.
(d) There are no lines leading out.
9. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
(a) They're often arrogant.
(b) They're often uncertain.
(c) They're often unimaginative.
(d) They're often edgy.
10. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
(a) Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.
(b) Turgenev's On the Eve.
(c) Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
(d) Balzac's Chouans.
11. What does the narrator first notice about the musical instruments?
(a) He knows how to play them all.
(b) They are in good repair.
(c) They are old.
(d) They bear traces of their previous owners.
12. What odd gift does the narrator give the librarian at the restaurant in Chapter 35?
(a) An eggbeater.
(b) A white lace collar.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A pair of nail clippers.
13. What song does the narrator listen to just before falling asleep at the waterfront?
(a) I'm Comin' Home.
(b) Blowin' in the Wind.
(c) A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall.
(d) Danny Boy.
14. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
(a) The beasts.
(b) The Librarian.
(d) The Townspeople.
15. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) The chubby girl.
(b) The System.
(c) The Professor.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator rent the car?
2. What compliment does the narrator make the librarian?
3. What does the narrator compare his memory of visiting the Power Station to?
4. What does the Librarian compare the warmth of the narrator's hand to?
5. What kind of power is the Town apparently running on?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)