|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does the whiskey have on the narrator in Chapter 27?
(a) It makes him woozy.
(b) It doesn't register.
(c) It makes him laugh.
(d) It makes him cry.
2. What does the narrator's shadow say he can't do?
(a) He can't breathe.
(b) He can't walk.
(c) He can't leave.
(d) He can't talk.
3. Which of the following does the Colonel NOT give as a possible reason for his work as a soldier?
(c) A sense of justice.
4. What escape does the Professor offer for the dilemma the narrator is faced with?
(a) If the Factory gets the data, the program will end automatically.
(b) If the System finds out about the research, they will abort the program.
(c) If he dies now, all three of his circuits will die with him.
(d) If he can unshuffle the data, the program will end automatically.
5. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) New circuits.
(b) Escape routes.
(c) New realities.
6. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The flowers.
(b) The leaves.
(c) The rain.
(d) The wind.
7. Where does the narrator say he and the girl got on the subway when asked by the subway attendant?
(a) Aoyama Itchome.
8. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(b) There are no lines leading out.
(c) It seems to be talking.
(d) It seems to be glowing.
9. What does the Librarian say is the key to finding her mind?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The accordion.
(c) The skulls.
(d) The Gatekeeper.
10. What has happened to the hole the men dug outside the narrator's window?
(a) It has been filled back in.
(b) It has filled with snow.
(c) It is full of beasts.
(d) It has disappeared.
11. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
(a) The Autumn.
(b) The Winter.
12. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
13. Which author does the narrator NOT say he likes to read at dinner?
14. Why does the Gatekeeper leave the narrator alone with his shadow?
(a) He feels sorry for the narrator.
(b) He can't stand the smell.
(c) He has work to do.
(d) He thinks they don't get along.
15. What does the narrator think people want to extend to everything?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the shadow when the narrator comes to visit him at the beginning of Chapter 32?
2. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
3. What does the Caretaker of the Power Station make for his guests in Chapter 28?
4. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
5. Which song does the narrator finally begin to play on the accordion?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)