|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
2. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
(a) The walls have been vandalized.
(b) The television is gone.
(c) The apartment is in worse shape than when he left.
(d) The apartment has been cleaned up.
3. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
(b) The clothes still stink from the underground.
(c) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
(d) The clothes are all pink.
4. What does the narrator's shadow say he can't do?
(a) He can't walk.
(b) He can't leave.
(c) He can't breathe.
(d) He can't talk.
5. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
(a) The Gatekeeper.
(b) The beasts.
(c) The Colonel.
(d) The Librarian.
6. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was born by the sea.
(b) He likes the rainfall.
(c) He likes to collect things.
(d) He was a soldier.
7. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
(a) In Zurich.
(b) In New York.
(c) In Frankfurt.
(d) In London.
8. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The wind.
(b) The flowers.
(c) The leaves.
(d) The rain.
9. What does the narrator say the Librarian can never do since she has no mind?
(a) She can never love him.
(b) She can never need him.
(c) She can never remember him.
(d) She can never miss him.
10. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
(a) The Colonel unwillingly tells him.
(b) He remembers his mother saying so.
(c) He hears a voice tell him the name.
(d) He wipes the dust off the lettering on the instrument.
11. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
12. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) New circuits.
(c) New realities.
(d) Escape routes.
13. Where does the chubby girl say her grandfather has gone?
(a) On vacation.
(b) To the INKlings' lair.
(c) To System Headquarters.
(d) To Finland.
14. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
(a) The Autumn.
(b) The Winter.
15. Which instrument does the narrator eventually take with him?
(a) A trumpet.
(b) An accordion.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A harmonica.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
2. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
3. Why does the narrator rent the car?
4. What is the first thing the narrator mentions when telling his shadow about his doubts?
5. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)