|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing the narrator mentions when telling his shadow about his doubts?
(a) He likes it that the Townspeople have no worries.
(b) He doesn't know if his former life is worth returning to.
(c) He's become attached to the Librarian.
(d) He likes watching the beasts.
2. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) The Brothers Karamazov.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) Crime and Punishment.
(d) Anna Karenina.
3. Where does the narrator say he and the girl got on the subway when asked by the subway attendant?
(d) Aoyama Itchome.
4. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
(a) The television is gone.
(b) The apartment is in worse shape than when he left.
(c) The walls have been vandalized.
(d) The apartment has been cleaned up.
5. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
6. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
7. What does the shadow call the process of removing the discharges of mind that rise each day?
(b) Skimming off.
(c) Filtering out.
8. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
(a) A balloon.
(d) A cigar.
9. What does the shadow call the role of the Dreamreader in his discussion of the loss of mind at the end of Chapter 32?
(a) A scapegoat.
(b) A lightning rod.
(c) A catalyst.
(d) A scout.
10. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(b) It's in the Woods.
(c) She's never been there before.
(d) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
11. What does the narrator say the Librarian can never do since she has no mind?
(a) She can never need him.
(b) She can never remember him.
(c) She can never miss him.
(d) She can never love him.
12. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) The clothes are all pink.
(b) The clothes still stink from the underground.
(c) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
(d) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
13. What does the narrator do to kill time while waiting for his date with the librarian?
(a) Go jogging.
(b) Read the newspaper.
(c) Play a video game.
(d) Sit in a café.
14. Where does the chubby girl say her grandfather has gone?
(a) On vacation.
(b) To the INKlings' lair.
(c) To System Headquarters.
(d) To Finland.
15. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
(a) The Librarian.
(b) The Gatekeeper.
(c) The beasts.
(d) The Colonel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
2. What does the narrator compare his memory of visiting the Power Station to?
3. Where does the chubby girl say she wants to go with the narrator when the reach the subway at the end of Chapter 29?
4. What does the Professor use the paperclips for?
5. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)