|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Caretaker collect the instruments?
(a) He feels that the previous owners would have wanted someone to look out for them.
(b) He gets lonely and the sound comforts him.
(c) He finds them beautiful.
(d) He needs a hobby to occupy his time.
2. Which of the following do the narrator and the librarian NOT have as dessert at the restaurant?
(a) Lemon soufflé.
(d) Grape ice.
3. Where does the narrator take the librarian on his last morning?
(a) To a French patisserie.
(b) To the pier.
(c) To the park.
(d) To a ballgame.
4. Where does the narrator say he and the girl got on the subway when asked by the subway attendant?
(c) Aoyama Itchome.
5. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
6. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
(a) She is afraid of the Woods.
(b) She is conflicted.
(c) She has no mind.
(d) The Gatekeeper would never allow it.
7. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
(b) The clothes are all pink.
(c) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
(d) The clothes still stink from the underground.
8. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
(a) That she thinks he's a nice guy.
(b) That the System isn't as good as he thought.
(c) That she is a strong swimmer.
(d) That what her grandfather did was wrong.
9. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) The System.
(b) His mother.
(c) The chubby girl.
(d) The Professor.
10. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) Anna Karenina.
(b) Crime and Punishment.
(c) War and Peace.
(d) The Brothers Karamazov.
11. How many people are at the laundromat when the narrator arrives?
12. Which song does the narrator finally begin to play on the accordion?
(a) Danny Boy.
(b) Blowin' in the Wind.
(c) The Star Spangled Banner.
(d) Georgia on My Mind.
13. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was a soldier.
(b) He likes the rainfall.
(c) He was born by the sea.
(d) He likes to collect things.
14. What are all the songs on the radio related to the morning the narrator spends at the librarian's house?
(a) The Winter.
(c) The Autumn.
15. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(a) Beast meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is it when the narrator and the chubby girl finally arrive in the subway system?
2. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
3. What odd gift does the narrator give the librarian at the restaurant in Chapter 35?
4. Who does the narrator tell his shadow the Wall is really there to hold in?
5. What does the librarian notice about the narrator's statements during dinner?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)