|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
(a) She is conflicted.
(b) She has no mind.
(c) The Gatekeeper would never allow it.
(d) She is afraid of the Woods.
2. What does the Librarian compare the sounds of the accordion to at the beginning of Chapter 36?
(a) The leaves.
(b) The flowers.
(c) The wind.
(d) The rain.
3. Which song does the narrator finally begin to play on the accordion?
(a) The Star Spangled Banner.
(b) Georgia on My Mind.
(c) Blowin' in the Wind.
(d) Danny Boy.
4. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
(a) That she is a strong swimmer.
(b) That the System isn't as good as he thought.
(c) That what her grandfather did was wrong.
(d) That she thinks he's a nice guy.
5. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) The chubby girl.
(b) His mother.
(c) The System.
(d) The Professor.
6. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) New circuits.
(c) Escape routes.
(d) New realities.
7. What does the Librarian compare the warmth of the narrator's hand to?
(a) The Summer.
(b) The Spring.
(c) A fire.
(d) The sun.
8. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(c) Beast meat.
9. How does the narrator finally realize that his musical instrument is an accordion?
(a) He hears a voice tell him the name.
(b) The Colonel unwillingly tells him.
(c) He remembers his mother saying so.
(d) He wipes the dust off the lettering on the instrument.
10. Why doesn't the Librarian want the narrator to go to the Power Station?
(a) She's heard the Caretaker is dangerous.
(b) It's in the Woods.
(c) She's heard the Power Station is dangerous.
(d) She's never been there before.
11. What does the narrator's shadow suggest the two do so they don't get separated?
(a) Trade hats.
(b) Join back together.
(c) Hold hands.
(d) Tie their belts together.
12. What does the shadow say the Town's "exit" is guarded by?
13. How does the shadow know the Town has an exit?
(a) He found it.
(b) From the map.
(c) The Gatekeeper told him.
14. What does the Caretaker of the Power Station make for his guests in Chapter 28?
15. What does the shadow call the process of removing the discharges of mind that rise each day?
(a) Skimming off.
(b) Filtering out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
2. Why does the Librarian say the Dreamreader can't free her mind?
3. What's the weather like when the Librarian and the narrator set out for the Power Station?
4. What does the shadow guess is the reason the narrator doesn't want to leave?
5. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)