|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the Professor say the provisions will keep him alive?
(a) Seven or eight days.
(b) One or two weeks.
(c) One or two days.
(d) Three or four days.
2. What day is it when the narrator and the chubby girl finally arrive in the subway system?
3. What does the narrator first notice about the musical instruments?
(a) They are old.
(b) He knows how to play them all.
(c) They bear traces of their previous owners.
(d) They are in good repair.
4. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
(a) Balzac's Chouans.
(b) Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.
(c) Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
(d) Turgenev's On the Eve.
5. Where does the narrator take the librarian on his last morning?
(a) To a ballgame.
(b) To a French patisserie.
(c) To the park.
(d) To the pier.
6. What escape does the Professor offer for the dilemma the narrator is faced with?
(a) If he can unshuffle the data, the program will end automatically.
(b) If the System finds out about the research, they will abort the program.
(c) If the Factory gets the data, the program will end automatically.
(d) If he dies now, all three of his circuits will die with him.
7. Where does the chubby girl say her grandfather has gone?
(a) To Finland.
(b) On vacation.
(c) To System Headquarters.
(d) To the INKlings' lair.
8. What happens to the skulls when the narrator begins to play the music?
(a) They catch on fire.
(b) They start to shake.
(c) They resonate music.
(d) They light up.
9. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
(a) His vision heals.
(b) He starts to cry.
(c) He realizes he has to leave the Town.
(d) His heart starts to ache.
10. How does the shadow know the Town has an exit?
(a) From the map.
(b) The Gatekeeper told him.
(c) He found it.
11. What has happened to the hole the men dug outside the narrator's window?
(a) It has filled with snow.
(b) It has disappeared.
(c) It has been filled back in.
(d) It is full of beasts.
12. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(b) It seems to be glowing.
(c) There are no lines leading out.
(d) It seems to be talking.
13. What does the narrator realize he'll continue to produce at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) New circuits.
(c) New realities.
(d) Escape routes.
14. Why does the librarian wake the narrator up in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) She is hungry.
(b) She is afraid the world is going to end.
(c) Junior has broken in.
(d) The unicorn skull is glowing.
15. What does the subway attendant claim is a waste of money while discussing the lost tickets with the narrator?
(a) McDonald's coffee.
(b) Baseball games.
(c) Subway fares.
(d) Starbuck's coffee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
2. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
3. Which of the following do the narrator and the librarian NOT have as dessert at the restaurant?
4. What does the narrator do with the skull at the end of Chapter 37?
5. How long does the narrator say it will take him to read out the Librarian's mind?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)