|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the narrator when he is finished playing the music?
(a) He starts to cry.
(b) He realizes he has to leave the Town.
(c) His vision heals.
(d) His heart starts to ache.
2. What effect does the whiskey have on the narrator in Chapter 27?
(a) It doesn't register.
(b) It makes him woozy.
(c) It makes him laugh.
(d) It makes him cry.
3. What does the narrator ask the Librarian to do for him when he is finished reading skulls?
(a) Bring him home.
(b) Wake him up.
(c) Make him some coffee.
(d) Make him breakfast.
4. What happens to the skulls when the narrator begins to play the music?
(a) They resonate music.
(b) They light up.
(c) They catch on fire.
(d) They start to shake.
5. What is the last thing the shadow tells the narrator?
(a) "I'm disappointed in you."
(b) "I'll come back for you."
(c) "I won't forget you."
(d) "I loved you."
6. What unusual thing does the narrator note about the Power Station?
(a) Unlike the rest of the Town's structures, the Power Station is made of wood.
(b) It seems to be glowing.
(c) It seems to be talking.
(d) There are no lines leading out.
7. What does the Caretaker of the Power Station make for his guests in Chapter 28?
8. Which of the following do the narrator and the librarian NOT have as dessert at the restaurant?
(a) Lemon soufflé.
(d) Grape ice.
9. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
(b) Beast meat.
10. Who does the Caretaker say comes to visit until the beginning of autumn?
(a) The Townspeople.
(b) The beasts.
(c) The Gatekeeper.
(d) The Woodspeople.
11. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
(a) Danny Boy.
(b) Autumn Leaves.
(c) I'll Be Home.
(d) Georgia on My Mind.
12. Why does the narrator rent the car?
(a) He wants to impress his date.
(b) He doesn't want to go back into the subway.
(c) He doesn't want to drive his own car.
(d) He doesn't want to show up with the sports bag in hand.
13. What does the narrator say is "...all that is left..." at the end of the story?
(a) The thought of the accordion.
(b) The flight of the birds overhead.
(c) The sound of the snow underfoot.
(d) The End of the World.
14. What does the narrator want to do when he arrives at the Library in Chapter 34?
(a) He wants to talk to the Librarian.
(b) He wants to have dinner.
(c) He wants to go for a walk.
(d) He wants to begin dream reading right away.
15. What one thing does the chubby girl say to the narrator that eases his mind as they are swimming to the exit of the underground?
(a) That she thinks he's a nice guy.
(b) That what her grandfather did was wrong.
(c) That she is a strong swimmer.
(d) That the System isn't as good as he thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Gatekeeper leave the narrator alone with his shadow?
2. Where does the narrator think it might not be bad to end his life?
3. Where does the shadow tell the narrator they're going?
4. What does the narrator do with the skull at the end of Chapter 37?
5. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)