|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bodily function does the narrator find himself pondering in the escape route from the underground?
2. What does the narrator say was his "training" for tuning in on a better life?
(a) Learning to sail.
(b) Watching Casablanca.
(c) Reading The Greening of America.
(d) Divorcing his wife.
3. Why do the people in the laundromat stare at the narrator when he begins drying the clothes?
(a) The clothes still stink from the underground.
(b) It's strange that the narrator is simply staring at the dryer.
(c) The clothes are all pink.
(d) The narrator clearly doesn't know how to use a dryer.
4. What does the Librarian ask the Caretaker in the Power Station chapter?
(a) Whether he misses going into the Town.
(b) Whether he gets along with the Gatekeeper.
(c) Whether he gets along with the others.
(d) Whether he's seen an older woman around the Power Station.
5. What book does the narrator quote when the librarian asks how he sees himself?
(a) Crime and Punishment.
(b) The Brothers Karamazov.
(c) Anna Karenina.
(d) War and Peace.
6. What does the narrator immediately notice when he returns to his apartment?
(a) The walls have been vandalized.
(b) The television is gone.
(c) The apartment is in worse shape than when he left.
(d) The apartment has been cleaned up.
7. What does the narrator buy while in the park?
(b) A cigar.
(d) A balloon.
8. What does the chubby girl begin reading in the narrator's apartment?
(a) Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.
(b) Balzac's Chouans.
(c) Flaubert's Madame Bovary.
(d) Turgenev's On the Eve.
9. What does the Librarian compare looking for her mind to?
(a) Looking for lost birds in the skies.
(b) Looking for lost leaves on the ground.
(c) Looking for lost drops of rain in a river.
(d) Looking for lost needles in a haystack.
10. How many men does the narrator first see when he looks out the window to where the men are digging the hole?
11. What song does the narrator listen to just before falling asleep at the waterfront?
(a) Blowin' in the Wind.
(b) A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall.
(c) Danny Boy.
(d) I'm Comin' Home.
12. Why does the shadow say the narrator can't take the Librarian to the Woods?
(a) She is conflicted.
(b) She is afraid of the Woods.
(c) She has no mind.
(d) The Gatekeeper would never allow it.
13. What does the narrator tell the librarian about himself when she says she wants to know more about him?
(a) He was a soldier.
(b) He was born by the sea.
(c) He likes the rainfall.
(d) He likes to collect things.
14. How does the shadow know the Town has an exit?
(a) He found it.
(c) The Gatekeeper told him.
(d) From the map.
15. Who does the narrator call on the telephone at the beginning of Chapter 37?
(a) The System.
(b) The chubby girl.
(c) His mother.
(d) The Professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which song does the narrator finally begin to play on the accordion?
2. Which song does the narrator sing along to at the librarian's house?
3. Which of the following do the narrator and the librarian NOT have as dessert at the restaurant?
4. How long does the narrator say it will take him to read out the Librarian's mind?
5. What does the Caretaker provide as part of lunch?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)