|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the shadow say he needed the map sooner?
(a) He can't get over the Wall during the winter.
(b) He is losing his desire to escape.
(c) He will be too weak to carry out his plan for escape.
(d) The Gatekeeper has become suspicious of him.
2. What does the narrator's shadow come to the storeroom to get as an excuse to see the narrator in Chapter 10?
(a) A saw.
(b) A wrench.
(c) A hammer.
3. Which variety of unicorn does the librarian say is the more tranquil variety?
(a) The Russian variety.
(b) The Greek variety.
(c) The Indian variety.
(d) The Chinese variety.
4. Where does the Librarian live?
(a) In the Industrial Quarter.
(b) Beside the Old Bridge.
(c) Beside the Clock Tower.
(d) In the Worker's Quarter.
5. What does the old man say the future will be in Chapter 5?
6. In what way does the Professor say the mind is like Alice in Wonderland?
(a) You need a special drug to get you in.
(b) You never know who you're going to meet.
(c) You can only get in by going through a narrow hole.
(d) Everything is topsy-turvy.
7. What color is the smoke that can be seen every day in the Town?
8. Where does the narrator say the smoke comes from?
(a) The Apple Grove.
(b) The Southern Hill.
(c) The Eastern Woods.
(d) The Worker's Quarter.
9. What did the narrator loose upon arriving in the Town?
(a) His shoes.
(b) His voice.
(c) His eyesight.
(d) His shadow.
10. Where does the narrator find the Pool?
(a) In the West.
(b) In the North.
(c) In the South.
(d) In the East.
11. Is the narrator going up or down in the elevator at the beginning of the story?
(a) He isn't sure.
(b) He is going down.
(c) He isn't moving.
(d) He is going up.
12. What does the narrator believe after he's slammed into the rock slab at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He will never get out of the underground.
(c) The girl misled him on purpose.
(d) He has a concussion.
13. What do Junior and Big Boy do to the narrator, saying they have no choice?
(a) They gouge his eyes.
(b) They slice his abdomen.
(c) They shave off his hair and cut his scalp.
(d) They castrate him.
14. What does the chubby girl say she can hear from the INKlings?
(a) Their lips smacking.
(b) Their fins flapping.
(c) Their jaws snapping.
(d) Their tails wagging.
15. When the chubby girl and the narrator reach the lab, what does the chubby girl realize?
(a) It was the Factory that broken in to.
(b) The INKlings took everything.
(c) The lab wasn't broken into.
(d) It was the System that broken in to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second book the narrator reads towards the end of Chapter 15?
2. Where do the narrator and the Librarian look for a musical instrument?
3. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
4. What does the narrator tell the librarian to comfort her at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What do the scientists compare the mind to in explaining the use of his consciousness to the narrator in Chapter 11?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)