|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about the poster of Frankfurt at the supermarket that makes the narrator uneasy?
(a) He doesn't like the people's not-watching-anything gaze.
(b) It looks cold.
(c) He is afraid of Germans.
(d) He gets chills when he sees tall, sharp spires.
2. What does the Gatekeeper say the narrator will see if he climbs the Watchtower?
(a) The layout of the Town.
(b) His shadow.
(c) A winter treat.
(d) A big surprise.
3. What does the narrator say he uses his car for in Chapter 7?
(b) Short outings.
(c) Long drives.
4. What does the narrator believe after he's slammed into the rock slab at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(a) The girl misled him on purpose.
(b) He has a concussion.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He will never get out of the underground.
5. What does the narrator realize has hurt him when he wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) A beast.
(b) A skull.
(c) The sun.
(d) The winter.
6. What does the woman ask the narrator to put on at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) A tie.
(b) A gas mask.
(c) A pair of sunglasses.
(d) A rubber suit and goggles.
7. What does the narrator notice about the girl in the car in front of them while on their way back to the Professor's lab?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her bracelets.
(c) Her shirt.
(d) Her earrings.
8. How does the Librarian feel about the Pool?
(a) It reminds her of painful memories.
(b) She enjoys its calmness.
(c) She is afraid of it.
(d) It reminds her of better days.
9. Why does the narrator think about the job he's doing as a dream reader?
(a) He feels inadequate.
(b) He thinks he's too good for the job.
(c) He thinks it's foolish.
(d) He thinks it's too important a job to be left to him.
10. What is the old man working on in Chapter 3?
(a) Scent technology.
(b) Comparing skeletons.
(c) Diving technology.
(d) The mammalian palate.
11. Which variety of unicorn does the librarian say is the more tranquil variety?
(a) The Russian variety.
(b) The Chinese variety.
(c) The Indian variety.
(d) The Greek variety.
12. Where does the narrator put the skull he's received from the old man?
(a) On the sideboard.
(b) In the closet.
(c) On top of the TV.
(d) Above the fireplace.
13. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
14. Is the narrator going up or down in the elevator at the beginning of the story?
(a) He isn't moving.
(b) He is going up.
(c) He isn't sure.
(d) He is going down.
15. Where does the narrator's shadow sleep?
(a) In a room in the barracks.
(b) Beneath the Watchtower.
(c) Under a tree.
(d) In a lean-to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the girl say they can't swim to the top of the tower?
2. What do Junior and Big Boy do to the narrator, saying they have no choice?
3. What does the Gatekeeper tell the narrator about the Power Station?
4. What did the Professor take with him when he left the System?
5. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's feelings for his shadow in Chapter 8?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)