|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Professor explain the fact that the narrator was the only test subject that didn't die.
(a) He was the only Calcutec independent enough from the System.
(b) He seemed to be dividing his time between two identities in the first place.
(c) He was the only one whose emotional powers were strong enough.
(d) He was the only one who dealt with his elephant factory consciously.
2. What does the librarian try to get the narrator to hear while they are lying in bed?
(a) Her heartbeat.
(b) People talking in the hall outside.
(c) The sound of the cars passing below the window.
(d) Her food digesting.
3. What does the narrator say he uses his car for in Chapter 7?
(c) Short outings.
(d) Long drives.
4. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
(a) The questions are annoying.
(b) The narrator asks too many questions.
(c) Soon he will no longer feel the need to ask.
(d) There will be no answers today.
5. What is the first thing the Professor asks for on seeing his granddaughter and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) An INKling repellant device.
(b) A telephone.
(d) Something to drink.
6. What color is the smoke that can be seen every day in the Town?
7. Where does the woman tell the narrator that he'll find her grandfather's lab?
(a) Beyond the waterfall.
(b) Over the rainbow.
(c) Under the river.
(d) In the tree.
8. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
9. Which landmark does the narrator describe in detail at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The town square.
(b) The clock tower.
(c) The promenade.
(d) The town park.
10. What does the narrator first encounter on his map-making investigations?
(a) The Western Woods.
(b) A crack in the wall.
(c) An abandoned mill.
(d) Old army barracks.
11. How does the narrator get home from the old man's office at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) On a bus.
(b) On the subway.
(c) In a taxi.
(d) On foot.
12. Why does the Colonel say the narrator's love for the Librarian may not be prudent?
(a) Without mind, she cannot return his feelings.
(b) She is too young.
(c) She does not care about him; she only helps him because she has to.
(d) She is married.
13. What happens to the dead beasts?
(a) They are burned.
(b) They are thrown into the Pool.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They are left outside the Wall.
14. Where does the Librarian live?
(a) In the Worker's Quarter.
(b) Beside the Old Bridge.
(c) Beside the Clock Tower.
(d) In the Industrial Quarter.
15. What does the narrator find himself longing for underground?
(a) The morning newspaper.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(d) A girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girl and the narrator appear to be walking on after the rock slab?
2. What does the woman ask the narrator to put on at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. Why does the narrator think about the job he's doing as a dream reader?
4. What was supposed to happen on the 2nd at noon?
5. What topic of conversation makes the narrator uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)