|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic of conversation makes the narrator uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
(a) His own sex drive.
(b) The old man's granddaughter's sex drive.
(c) The INKlings' sex drive.
(d) The old man's sex drive.
2. Why does the narrator say, following the chubby girl's line of thinking, that the two of them will have to help her grandfather?
(a) Because if they don't, they will end up feeling guilty.
(b) Because all three of them are good people.
(c) Because they are the only friends he has.
(d) Because if they don't, the Factory will get the data.
3. Why does the narrator think about the job he's doing as a dream reader?
(a) He thinks it's foolish.
(b) He thinks he's too good for the job.
(c) He thinks it's too important a job to be left to him.
(d) He feels inadequate.
4. What does the narrator make of the librarian's appetite at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He is worried she doesn't spend enough money on food.
(b) He thinks it's a little disgusting.
(c) He isn't surprised, given her frame.
(d) He doesn't understand why women always seem to be on a diet.
5. The skull from which the narrator is supposed to read the first dream in Chapter 6 is from what animal?
(a) An INKling.
(b) A horse.
(c) A bear.
(d) A unicorn.
6. What does the Professor say he did to the core consciousness of his test subjects?
(a) He shuffled them.
(b) He made them into visualized stories.
(c) He exchanged them with new information.
(d) He deleted them.
7. How does the Librarian feel about the Pool?
(a) It reminds her of better days.
(b) It reminds her of painful memories.
(c) She enjoys its calmness.
(d) She is afraid of it.
8. What do Junior and Big Boy drink while visiting the narrator?
9. Which landmark does the narrator describe in detail at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The promenade.
(b) The town park.
(c) The clock tower.
(d) The town square.
10. What kind of tree did the girl see outside her window while in the hospital?
(a) A camphor tree.
(b) An olive tree.
(c) A cypress tree.
(d) An ash tree.
11. What did the narrator loose upon arriving in the Town?
(a) His shadow.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His eyesight.
(d) His voice.
12. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
13. What do Junior and Big Boy do to the narrator, saying they have no choice?
(a) They gouge his eyes.
(b) They castrate him.
(c) They slice his abdomen.
(d) They shave off his hair and cut his scalp.
14. Where does the woman tell the narrator that he'll find her grandfather's lab?
(a) In the tree.
(b) Beyond the waterfall.
(c) Under the river.
(d) Over the rainbow.
15. Where does the narrator say the smoke comes from?
(a) The Southern Hill.
(b) The Worker's Quarter.
(c) The Eastern Woods.
(d) The Apple Grove.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is the narrator going up or down in the elevator at the beginning of the story?
2. What group does the narrator belong to in Chapter 3?
3. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
4. What does the narrator notice about the girl in the car in front of them while on their way back to the Professor's lab?
5. Where does the narrator's shadow sleep?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)