|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Professor say will happen in regards to the narrator's three cognitive circuits?
(a) The program the Professor wrote will kill the second circuit.
(b) The first two circuits are going to burn out.
(c) The narrator will end up stuck in circuit three with no hope of return.
(d) The circuits have arranged themselves in a never-ending loop.
2. How does the Professor explain the fact that the narrator was the only test subject that didn't die.
(a) He was the only one whose emotional powers were strong enough.
(b) He was the only Calcutec independent enough from the System.
(c) He was the only one who dealt with his elephant factory consciously.
(d) He seemed to be dividing his time between two identities in the first place.
3. What does the narrator first encounter on his map-making investigations?
(a) Old army barracks.
(b) The Western Woods.
(c) A crack in the wall.
(d) An abandoned mill.
4. Where does the librarian say the unicorn skull was lost while recounting the story of Professor Petrov in Chapter 9?
(a) In Stalingrad.
(b) In Leningrad.
(c) In Moscow.
(d) In the Ukraine.
5. What does the narrator make of the librarian's appetite at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He is worried she doesn't spend enough money on food.
(b) He doesn't understand why women always seem to be on a diet.
(c) He isn't surprised, given her frame.
(d) He thinks it's a little disgusting.
6. What event makes the beasts all stop what they are doing and move simultaneously in one direction in Chapter 2?
(a) The opening of the Gate.
(b) The blowing of the horn.
(c) The approach of dinnertime.
(d) The call of the Gatekeeper.
7. Where does the narrator say the smoke comes from?
(a) The Apple Grove.
(b) The Worker's Quarter.
(c) The Southern Hill.
(d) The Eastern Woods.
8. Where does the narrator put the skull he's received from the old man?
(a) Above the fireplace.
(b) On the sideboard.
(c) On top of the TV.
(d) In the closet.
9. What do Junior and Big Boy tell the narrator to tell the System they were looking for?
(a) The data.
(b) The safe.
(c) The skull.
(d) The notebook.
10. Why does the chubby girl say she wears pink?
(a) Her grandfather thinks she looks pretty in pink.
(b) It's her favorite color.
(c) It helps scare off the INKlings.
(d) It was her mother's favorite color.
11. What group does the narrator belong to in Chapter 3?
(a) The Caluctecs.
(b) The INKlings.
(c) The Factory.
(d) The Semiotecs.
12. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
(a) There will be no answers today.
(b) Soon he will no longer feel the need to ask.
(c) The questions are annoying.
(d) The narrator asks too many questions.
13. Which landmark does the narrator describe in detail at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The town park.
(b) The town square.
(c) The clock tower.
(d) The promenade.
14. What does the narrator suggest be built for the beasts?
(a) A roofed enclosure.
(b) A larger feeding trough.
(c) A barn.
(d) An outlet to the River.
15. What is the old man working on in Chapter 3?
(a) The mammalian palate.
(b) Scent technology.
(c) Diving technology.
(d) Comparing skeletons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's feelings for his shadow in Chapter 8?
2. What creatures do the girl and the narrator meet underground?
3. What does the Professor say he did to the core consciousness of his test subjects?
4. The skull from which the narrator is supposed to read the first dream in Chapter 6 is from what animal?
5. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)