|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the librarian ask for in return for a favor at the library in Chapter 7?
(a) A kiss.
(c) Chinese take-out.
(d) Ice cream.
2. What is it about the poster of Frankfurt at the supermarket that makes the narrator uneasy?
(a) He is afraid of Germans.
(b) He doesn't like the people's not-watching-anything gaze.
(c) It looks cold.
(d) He gets chills when he sees tall, sharp spires.
3. Why does the Colonel say the narrator's love for the Librarian may not be prudent?
(a) Without mind, she cannot return his feelings.
(b) She is married.
(c) She does not care about him; she only helps him because she has to.
(d) She is too young.
4. What does the narrator notice about the girl in the car in front of them while on their way back to the Professor's lab?
(a) Her bracelets.
(b) Her shirt.
(c) Her earrings.
(d) Her shoes.
5. What color is the smoke that can be seen every day in the Town?
6. What does the Colonel give the narrator to help nurse him back to health?
(b) A bandage.
(c) A blanket.
7. What does the narrator realize has hurt him when he wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) A beast.
(b) The winter.
(c) The sun.
(d) A skull.
8. What does the Colonel say dying might be for the beasts?
(a) A painful occurrence.
(b) A traumatic experience.
(c) A relief.
(d) Their salvation.
9. What does the Professor say will happen in regards to the narrator's three cognitive circuits?
(a) The narrator will end up stuck in circuit three with no hope of return.
(b) The program the Professor wrote will kill the second circuit.
(c) The first two circuits are going to burn out.
(d) The circuits have arranged themselves in a never-ending loop.
10. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's shadow in Chapter 8?
(a) It will die.
(b) It will live its own life.
(c) It will forget him.
(d) It will escape.
11. What does the librarian try to get the narrator to hear while they are lying in bed?
(a) Her food digesting.
(b) People talking in the hall outside.
(c) The sound of the cars passing below the window.
(d) Her heartbeat.
12. Why does the narrator say he has no intention of turning in his Calcutec qualifications in Chapter 11?
(a) He doesn't mind the bureaucracy.
(b) He feels called to do his job.
(c) He can't imagine doing anything else.
(d) The pay is so good.
13. Which landmark does the narrator describe in detail at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The clock tower.
(b) The town park.
(c) The promenade.
(d) The town square.
14. What time of year does the narrator say it is at the beginning of Chapter 2?
15. What does the narrator notice about the woman that he follows down the corridor?
(a) She doesn't smell good.
(b) She is loud.
(c) She talks a lot.
(d) She is chubby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
2. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
3. What does the Colonel give the narrator as winter approaches in Chapter 14?
4. What creatures do the girl and the narrator meet underground?
5. How does the Librarian feel about the Pool?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)