|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does the Professor say the mind is like Alice in Wonderland?
(a) You need a special drug to get you in.
(b) You never know who you're going to meet.
(c) Everything is topsy-turvy.
(d) You can only get in by going through a narrow hole.
2. What is the second book the narrator reads towards the end of Chapter 15?
(a) Spring Torrents.
(c) The Red and the Black.
3. What do the girl and the narrator find half-way up the tower?
(a) A message from the Professor.
(b) A rope.
(c) A stash of paperclips.
(d) A secret cave.
4. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
(a) He can cancel the awareness of pain.
(b) He can close the wound.
(c) He can stop the bleeding.
(d) He can turn back time to before the time of the wound.
5. How does the narrator pass the sunny days?
(a) Playing chess with the Colonel.
(b) Talking walks in the Woods.
(c) Face down in bed.
(d) Reading in the Library.
6. What does the old man say the future will be in Chapter 5?
7. What does the narrator's shadow come to the storeroom to get as an excuse to see the narrator in Chapter 10?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A saw.
(c) A wrench.
8. What does the librarian ask for in return for a favor at the library in Chapter 7?
(b) A kiss.
(c) Ice cream.
(d) Chinese take-out.
9. Why does the narrator say, following the chubby girl's line of thinking, that the two of them will have to help her grandfather?
(a) Because if they don't, the Factory will get the data.
(b) Because they are the only friends he has.
(c) Because all three of them are good people.
(d) Because if they don't, they will end up feeling guilty.
10. Where do the narrator and the Librarian look for a musical instrument?
(a) In the Collection Room.
(b) At the Train Station.
(c) In the Storeroom.
(d) In the Goods Depot.
11. Which variety of unicorn does the librarian say is the more tranquil variety?
(a) The Russian variety.
(b) The Greek variety.
(c) The Indian variety.
(d) The Chinese variety.
12. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather claims will happen if the narrator doesn't get up at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) The world is going to be terminated.
(b) The world is going to end.
(c) The world is going to be destroyed.
(d) The world is going to be obliterated.
13. What does the Librarian serve at the end of each session?
14. What does the librarian try to get the narrator to hear while they are lying in bed?
(a) Her food digesting.
(b) Her heartbeat.
(c) The sound of the cars passing below the window.
(d) People talking in the hall outside.
15. What does the narrator say may be the signal to put physical pain out of mind?
(a) Ben Johnson.
(b) Pretty girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Colonel say the narrator's love for the Librarian may not be prudent?
2. Why does the girl say they can't swim to the top of the tower?
3. What is it about the poster of Frankfurt at the supermarket that makes the narrator uneasy?
4. The skull from which the narrator is supposed to read the first dream in Chapter 6 is from what animal?
5. The narrator begins Chapter 5 with a lengthy discussion about the quality of which object?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)