|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group does the narrator belong to in Chapter 3?
(a) The INKlings.
(b) The Factory.
(c) The Caluctecs.
(d) The Semiotecs.
2. What does the narrator notice about the woman that he follows down the corridor?
(a) She talks a lot.
(b) She is chubby.
(c) She doesn't smell good.
(d) She is loud.
3. What does the narrator believe after he's slammed into the rock slab at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(a) He has a concussion.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He will never get out of the underground.
(d) The girl misled him on purpose.
4. Why does the narrator say, following the chubby girl's line of thinking, that the two of them will have to help her grandfather?
(a) Because if they don't, the Factory will get the data.
(b) Because all three of them are good people.
(c) Because if they don't, they will end up feeling guilty.
(d) Because they are the only friends he has.
5. What does the narrator realize has hurt him when he wakes up at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) The winter.
(b) A skull.
(c) A beast.
(d) The sun.
6. What do the girl and the narrator appear to be walking on after the rock slab?
(a) A honeycomb.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A train track.
(d) A minefield.
7. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
(a) A blade.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A laser.
(d) A flame.
8. What event makes the beasts all stop what they are doing and move simultaneously in one direction in Chapter 2?
(a) The opening of the Gate.
(b) The call of the Gatekeeper.
(c) The blowing of the horn.
(d) The approach of dinnertime.
9. What is the first thing the Professor asks for on seeing his granddaughter and the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 25?
(a) An INKling repellant device.
(b) A telephone.
(d) Something to drink.
10. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
(a) There will be no answers today.
(b) The narrator asks too many questions.
(c) The questions are annoying.
(d) Soon he will no longer feel the need to ask.
11. What does the narrator first encounter on his map-making investigations?
(a) An abandoned mill.
(b) The Western Woods.
(c) Old army barracks.
(d) A crack in the wall.
12. What does the old man say the future will be in Chapter 5?
13. Why does the girl say they can't swim to the top of the tower?
(a) The water is INKling-infested.
(b) She can't swim.
(c) They will get sucked into the undertow.
(d) The water is poisonous.
14. What does the narrator tell the librarian to comfort her at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) She is the best friend he's got.
(b) She is not alone.
(c) Nothing is her fault.
(d) Her mother must have missed her.
15. When the chubby girl and the narrator reach the lab, what does the chubby girl realize?
(a) The INKlings took everything.
(b) The lab wasn't broken into.
(c) It was the System that broken in to.
(d) It was the Factory that broken in to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the dead beasts?
2. What does the Gatekeeper tell the narrator about the Power Station?
3. What does the Gatekeeper say the narrator will see if he climbs the Watchtower?
4. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
5. What topic of conversation makes the narrator uncomfortable in Chapter 5?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)