|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the woman tell the narrator that he'll find her grandfather's lab?
(a) Over the rainbow.
(b) Beyond the waterfall.
(c) In the tree.
(d) Under the river.
2. What does the Gatekeeper tell the narrator about the Power Station?
(a) The Power Station is extremely dangerous.
(b) The Power Station no longer works.
(c) The Caretaker of the Power Station won't see Townspeople.
(d) He might find a musical instrument there.
3. Why does the shadow say he needed the map sooner?
(a) He can't get over the Wall during the winter.
(b) He will be too weak to carry out his plan for escape.
(c) He is losing his desire to escape.
(d) The Gatekeeper has become suspicious of him.
4. What does the Colonel say dying might be for the beasts?
(a) A painful occurrence.
(b) Their salvation.
(c) A traumatic experience.
(d) A relief.
5. What does the Colonel give the narrator as winter approaches in Chapter 14?
(a) A winter hat.
(b) A winter coat.
(c) Winter boots.
(d) Winter gloves.
6. What do the girl and the narrator appear to be walking on after the rock slab?
(a) A train track.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A minefield.
(d) A honeycomb.
7. Why does the narrator say he has no intention of turning in his Calcutec qualifications in Chapter 11?
(a) He doesn't mind the bureaucracy.
(b) He can't imagine doing anything else.
(c) The pay is so good.
(d) He feels called to do his job.
8. In what way does the Professor say the mind is like Alice in Wonderland?
(a) You never know who you're going to meet.
(b) You need a special drug to get you in.
(c) You can only get in by going through a narrow hole.
(d) Everything is topsy-turvy.
9. When the chubby girl and the narrator reach the lab, what does the chubby girl realize?
(a) It was the System that broken in to.
(b) The lab wasn't broken into.
(c) The INKlings took everything.
(d) It was the Factory that broken in to.
10. What does the narrator say he uses his car for in Chapter 7?
(a) Long drives.
(c) Short outings.
11. How does the narrator pass the sunny days?
(a) Reading in the Library.
(b) Playing chess with the Colonel.
(c) Face down in bed.
(d) Talking walks in the Woods.
12. What does the narrator use to call up the End of the World?
(a) An eye-shifting pattern.
(b) A sound-cue pattern.
(c) A spoken-word pattern.
(d) A program-reversal pattern.
13. What does the narrator tell the librarian to comfort her at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) She is not alone.
(b) She is the best friend he's got.
(c) Her mother must have missed her.
(d) Nothing is her fault.
14. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
(a) The narrator asks too many questions.
(b) Soon he will no longer feel the need to ask.
(c) The questions are annoying.
(d) There will be no answers today.
15. How does the Professor explain the fact that the narrator was the only test subject that didn't die.
(a) He seemed to be dividing his time between two identities in the first place.
(b) He was the only one whose emotional powers were strong enough.
(c) He was the only Calcutec independent enough from the System.
(d) He was the only one who dealt with his elephant factory consciously.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about the woman that he follows down the corridor?
2. What does the old man say the future will be in Chapter 5?
3. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's shadow in Chapter 8?
4. What does the narrator make of the librarian's appetite at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather claims will happen if the narrator doesn't get up at the beginning of Chapter 17?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)