|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's shadow in Chapter 8?
(a) It will live its own life.
(b) It will escape.
(c) It will die.
(d) It will forget him.
2. What do the girl and the narrator appear to be walking on after the rock slab?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A minefield.
(c) A honeycomb.
(d) A train track.
3. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather claims will happen if the narrator doesn't get up at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) The world is going to be destroyed.
(b) The world is going to be obliterated.
(c) The world is going to be terminated.
(d) The world is going to end.
4. What does the narrator use to call up the End of the World?
(a) A sound-cue pattern.
(b) A program-reversal pattern.
(c) An eye-shifting pattern.
(d) A spoken-word pattern.
5. What do Junior and Big Boy drink while visiting the narrator?
6. How does the narrator pass the sunny days?
(a) Talking walks in the Woods.
(b) Playing chess with the Colonel.
(c) Reading in the Library.
(d) Face down in bed.
7. What does the narrator say may be the signal to put physical pain out of mind?
(b) Ben Johnson.
(c) Pretty girls.
8. What does the narrator say he uses his car for in Chapter 7?
(a) Short outings.
(c) Long drives.
9. Why does the girl say they can't swim to the top of the tower?
(a) The water is poisonous.
(b) She can't swim.
(c) They will get sucked into the undertow.
(d) The water is INKling-infested.
10. What does the Professor say will happen in regards to the narrator's three cognitive circuits?
(a) The program the Professor wrote will kill the second circuit.
(b) The first two circuits are going to burn out.
(c) The narrator will end up stuck in circuit three with no hope of return.
(d) The circuits have arranged themselves in a never-ending loop.
11. What does the narrator wish he could be, in thinking about the girl in the Skyline?
12. What is it about the poster of Frankfurt at the supermarket that makes the narrator uneasy?
(a) He is afraid of Germans.
(b) He gets chills when he sees tall, sharp spires.
(c) He doesn't like the people's not-watching-anything gaze.
(d) It looks cold.
13. What does the Gatekeeper say the narrator will see if he climbs the Watchtower?
(a) The layout of the Town.
(b) His shadow.
(c) A big surprise.
(d) A winter treat.
14. What does the narrator count while in the elevator at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) The notes in the song he's whistling.
(b) The coins in his pocket.
(c) The holes in the ceiling.
(d) The buttons on the elevator control panel.
15. What does the Gatekeeper say about the stash of old clothes?
(a) The old clothes are being saved for a special occasion.
(b) The narrator can have whatever he wants.
(c) The clothes are off-limits.
(d) The previous owners wouldn't want anyone using the old clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Professor say he did to the core consciousness of his test subjects?
2. What does the narrator make of the librarian's appetite at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. Why does the shadow say he needed the map sooner?
4. Where does the narrator say the smoke comes from?
5. What happens to the dead beasts?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)