|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he drinks so much?
(a) It makes him less restless.
(b) It helps him concentrate.
(c) It makes him feel brave.
(d) The world was supposed to end.
2. Where does the narrator say the smoke comes from?
(a) The Worker's Quarter.
(b) The Eastern Woods.
(c) The Apple Grove.
(d) The Southern Hill.
3. What did the Professor take with him when he left the System?
(a) The process for shuffling.
(b) All of the mammalian skulls.
(c) The narrator's personal file.
(d) All of the research samples.
4. The skull from which the narrator is supposed to read the first dream in Chapter 6 is from what animal?
(a) A bear.
(b) A horse.
(c) An INKling.
(d) A unicorn.
5. Which variety of unicorn does the librarian say is the more tranquil variety?
(a) The Indian variety.
(b) The Russian variety.
(c) The Chinese variety.
(d) The Greek variety.
6. What does the narrator count while in the elevator at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) The notes in the song he's whistling.
(b) The coins in his pocket.
(c) The buttons on the elevator control panel.
(d) The holes in the ceiling.
7. Where does the narrator fall asleep at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) At the Gate.
(b) Near the Pool.
(c) In the Woods.
(d) In the Library.
8. What does the chubby girl say her grandfather can do for the narrator in regards to his wound?
(a) He can cancel the awareness of pain.
(b) He can close the wound.
(c) He can stop the bleeding.
(d) He can turn back time to before the time of the wound.
9. What does the Gatekeeper say about the narrator's questions?
(a) The questions are annoying.
(b) Soon he will no longer feel the need to ask.
(c) The narrator asks too many questions.
(d) There will be no answers today.
10. What does the Colonel say will become of the narrator's shadow in Chapter 8?
(a) It will escape.
(b) It will die.
(c) It will live its own life.
(d) It will forget him.
11. What does the Colonel give the narrator as winter approaches in Chapter 14?
(a) A winter hat.
(b) Winter gloves.
(c) Winter boots.
(d) A winter coat.
12. What does the Gatekeeper say about the stash of old clothes?
(a) The old clothes are being saved for a special occasion.
(b) The clothes are off-limits.
(c) The previous owners wouldn't want anyone using the old clothes.
(d) The narrator can have whatever he wants.
13. Where does the narrator find the Pool?
(a) In the North.
(b) In the South.
(c) In the East.
(d) In the West.
14. What do Junior and Big Boy do to the narrator, saying they have no choice?
(a) They gouge his eyes.
(b) They castrate him.
(c) They slice his abdomen.
(d) They shave off his hair and cut his scalp.
15. What does the narrator first encounter on his map-making investigations?
(a) A crack in the wall.
(b) Old army barracks.
(c) The Western Woods.
(d) An abandoned mill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Gatekeeper use to pierce the narrator's eyes in Chapter 4?
2. What does the narrator use to call up the End of the World?
3. What did the narrator loose upon arriving in the Town?
4. What do Junior and Big Boy tell the narrator to tell the System they were looking for?
5. How does the Professor explain the fact that the narrator was the only test subject that didn't die.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)