* The narrator is in an elevator. He is not sure if the elevator is moving and there are no buttons to choose a floor, open the doors or make a call in an emergency.
* He compulsively counts the many coins in his pockets using both hands at the same time. Finally the doors open and a young, chubby woman barely audibly speaking a language he doesn't understand, leads him down a long, winding corridor into a room.
* Chapter 2 begins with the observation of the fact that the beasts have gotten a long layer of golden fur now that autumn is approaching.
* There is a Gatekeeper in the Town that blows a horn alerting the beasts that they are to leave the Town through the Gate for the night.
* The Gatekeeper was previously a blacksmith and keeps an arsenal of sharpened, hand-made...
This section contains 7,048 words
(approx. 24 pages at 300 words per page)