|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise is coming from the rental unit when Raleigh and Mingo first arrive?
2. After close examination, why does Raleigh realize he married his wife?
3. Who bought the fireworks that are used in Part 2, Chapter 26?
4. What weapon does Gates choose for the duel between him and Calhoun?
5. How old was Gates the last time Raleigh saw him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why Gates rushes into a private driveway of an estate and the excuse that he gives the estate owners.
2. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
3. What does Raleigh find when he searches for hidden treasure and what does he decide to do with it?
4. Chapter 27 fills in details about Jubal's relationship with Victoria. What are those details?
5. How has the adventurous scavenger hunt changed Raleigh?
6. Explain Mr. Calhoun's complaint against Gates.How must Gates make amends?
7. How has Aura changed over the course of the novel?
8. What mistake does Mingo make at the Myrtle Beach hotel that tips off Mr. Calhoun to Gates' whereabouts. Who else does it tip off, and why are they searching for Gates?
9. What is the importance of Raleigh's scavenger hunt items as explained by his father in Part 3, Chapter 32?
10. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of Handling Sin? What is a motif from the novel? Discuss both, explaining the difference between a theme and motif in literature.
Essay Topic 2
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Handling Sin? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of Handling Sin? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)