|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary technique is used in Part 2, Chapter 17 to inform the reader about the past relationship between Raleigh and Gates?
2. Who are the two new passengers who tag along with Raleigh, Gates and Mingo as they leave for Atlanta?
3. What is discovered when digging up the hidden treasure?
4. Who is Raleigh hoping to find when they leave the estate?
5. Who plays saxophone in the jazz combo formed in Part 3, Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
2. Why was Raleigh's adventurous scavenger hunt orchestrated?
3. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
4. What does Raleigh find when he searches for hidden treasure and what does he decide to do with it?
5. What mistake does Mingo make at the Myrtle Beach hotel that tips off Mr. Calhoun to Gates' whereabouts. Who else does it tip off, and why are they searching for Gates?
6. How do the men meet a dancer on their way to Atlanta? What is the dancer's situation?
7. Discuss the jazz combo that is formed in Part 3, Chapter 33.
8. What one certainty does Raleigh understand about religion and what personal experience helped build that belief?
9. Why is Gates' excuse for the estate owners whose private driveway he enters important to the men's adventure?
10. How has Aura changed over the course of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book, Handling Sin, and his other writings.
Essay Topic 2
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe Handling Sin. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of Handling Sin. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Handling Sin? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)