|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two new passengers who tag along with Raleigh, Gates and Mingo as they leave for Atlanta?
2. What literary term best describes Part 3, Chapters 34-37?
3. Where does Jubal go in Part 3, Chapter 34?
4. Who is in Raleigh's hotel bed after he gets drunk with a singer?
5. Who is Raleigh hoping to find when they leave the estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 27 fills in details about Jubal's relationship with Victoria. What are those details?
2. Explain Mr. Calhoun's complaint against Gates.How must Gates make amends?
3. How does Gates intervene in the dance troupe's situation?
4. Why is Gates' excuse for the estate owners whose private driveway he enters important to the men's adventure?
5. What is the importance of Raleigh's scavenger hunt items as explained by his father in Part 3, Chapter 32?
6. Discuss the "massage parlor" that Mingo visits in Myrtle Beach.
7. How do the men meet a dancer on their way to Atlanta? What is the dancer's situation?
8. Describe where Toutant lives. What does he say about his unusual surroundings and what is the truth about them?
9. What does Raleigh learn that Jubal is doing and what is Jubal's response to Raleigh's request?
10. Explain the prison escape that occurs as a result of the tent revival that Raleigh, Gates and Mingo visit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Handling Sin? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 2
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe Handling Sin. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book, Handling Sin, and his other writings.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)