|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Toutant Kingstree important to Raleigh?
2. What is discovered when digging up the hidden treasure?
3. Where does Weeper live, at the time of the revival?
4. Who do Gates and Raleigh impersonate while the rest of their group sets off fireworks?
5. What is Gates delivering during his late night boat trip in Part 2, Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Raleigh tries to gather everyone to leave Charlotte, where is Gates and what is he doing?
2. What does Raleigh find when he searches for hidden treasure and what does he decide to do with it?
3. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
4. Discuss the difference between Raleigh and Gates.
5. What one certainty does Raleigh understand about religion and what personal experience helped build that belief?
6. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
7. How does Billie's life change after the gathering in New Orleans?
8. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
9. Explain Mr. Calhoun's complaint against Gates.How must Gates make amends?
10. What mistake does Mingo make at the Myrtle Beach hotel that tips off Mr. Calhoun to Gates' whereabouts. Who else does it tip off, and why are they searching for Gates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Mingo. Was he a major character or minor one, static or dynamic? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of Handling Sin? What is a motif from the novel? Discuss both, explaining the difference between a theme and motif in literature.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)