|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gates' motorcycle as he makes the drive to Atlanta?
2. Who is Raleigh hoping to find when they leave the estate?
3. Which lovers' history is detailed in Part 2, Chapter 27?
4. What noise is coming from the rental unit when Raleigh and Mingo first arrive?
5. Why is Toutant Kingstree important to Raleigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the adventurous scavenger hunt changed Raleigh?
2. What one certainty does Raleigh understand about religion and what personal experience helped build that belief?
3. What does Raleigh learn that Jubal is doing and what is Jubal's response to Raleigh's request?
4. What is the importance of Raleigh's scavenger hunt items as explained by his father in Part 3, Chapter 32?
5. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
6. Who keeps the men from getting arrested at the mountain, and how?
7. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
8. Discuss the jazz combo that is formed in Part 3, Chapter 33.
9. Why is Gates' excuse for the estate owners whose private driveway he enters important to the men's adventure?
10. Describe where Toutant lives. What does he say about his unusual surroundings and what is the truth about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and discuss the items Raleigh was instructed to collect on his scavenger hunt. Write about the purpose of each.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss Raleigh and Gates as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of Handling Sin. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Handling Sin? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)