|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his father, where must Raleigh first take Gates?
2. How old was Gates the last time Raleigh saw him?
3. The men drive to Montgomery. In which state is that located?
4. How old is Gates when his mother divorces Raleigh's father?
5. What is the name of the singer that Raleigh almost gets intimate with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Raleigh's scavenger hunt items as explained by his father in Part 3, Chapter 32?
2. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
3. What does Mr. Calhoun insist upon even after receiving payment from Gates? Discuss the details, including why it is important to him.
4. Describe where Toutant lives. What does he say about his unusual surroundings and what is the truth about them?
5. What does Raleigh find when he searches for hidden treasure and what does he decide to do with it?
6. Discuss the jazz combo that is formed in Part 3, Chapter 33.
7. How does Gates intervene in the dance troupe's situation?
8. What does Raleigh learn that Jubal is doing and what is Jubal's response to Raleigh's request?
9. Explain the prison escape that occurs as a result of the tent revival that Raleigh, Gates and Mingo visit.
10. Explain Mr. Calhoun's complaint against Gates.How must Gates make amends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story, and how did it work?
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 3
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of Handling Sin. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Handling Sin? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)