|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sings in the jazz combo formed in Part 3, Chapter 33?
2. Who arrives mid-song to play clarinet with the jazz combo in Part 3, Chapter33?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 29, where does the stolen van get stuck?
4. What does Raleigh take from the rental cabin to add to his scavenger hunt?
5. What does the stalled bus carry that Raleigh and his friends find on their way to Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gates' excuse for the estate owners whose private driveway he enters important to the men's adventure?
2. As Raleigh tries to gather everyone to leave Charlotte, where is Gates and what is he doing?
3. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
4. Who keeps the men from getting arrested at the mountain, and how?
5. Discuss the difference between Raleigh and Gates.
6. How has Aura changed over the course of the novel?
7. What is ironic when Raleigh abandons his golf cart at the mountain?
8. How does Gates intervene in the dance troupe's situation?
9. What mistake does Mingo make at the Myrtle Beach hotel that tips off Mr. Calhoun to Gates' whereabouts. Who else does it tip off, and why are they searching for Gates?
10. Discuss the "massage parlor" that Mingo visits in Myrtle Beach.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raleigh was instructed to "collect" two people as part of his scavenger hunt. Who were they and what importance did they have?
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of Handling Sin? What is a motif from the novel? Discuss both, explaining the difference between a theme and motif in literature.
Essay Topic 3
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe Handling Sin. Explain your answers.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)