|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who bought the fireworks that are used in Part 2, Chapter 26?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 29, where does the stolen van get stuck?
3. Who dies on stage in Part 3, Chapter 33?
4. Which relative goes with Jubal when he leaves in Part 3, Chapter 34?
5. What is the name of the singer that Raleigh almost gets intimate with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Raleigh's adventurous scavenger hunt orchestrated?
2. What does Raleigh learn that Jubal is doing and what is Jubal's response to Raleigh's request?
3. Discuss the jazz combo that is formed in Part 3, Chapter 33.
4. Chapter 27 fills in details about Jubal's relationship with Victoria. What are those details?
5. How has Aura changed over the course of the novel?
6. Explain the prison escape that occurs as a result of the tent revival that Raleigh, Gates and Mingo visit.
7. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
8. What one certainty does Raleigh understand about religion and what personal experience helped build that belief?
9. Why is Gates' excuse for the estate owners whose private driveway he enters important to the men's adventure?
10. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also, relate the differences and similarities specifically to Handling Sin.
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of Handling Sin? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)