|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in Raleigh's hotel bed after he gets drunk with a singer?
2. What musical instrument does Weeper play at the revival?
3. How does Earley advise his unwed, pregnant sister to explain her reason for leaving town?
4. What noise is coming from the rental unit when Raleigh and Mingo first arrive?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 29, where does the stolen van get stuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the adventurous scavenger hunt changed Raleigh?
2. What does Raleigh learn that Jubal is doing and what is Jubal's response to Raleigh's request?
3. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
4. Discuss the jazz combo that is formed in Part 3, Chapter 33.
5. Why was Raleigh's adventurous scavenger hunt orchestrated?
6. How does Gates intervene in the dance troupe's situation?
7. What is the importance of Raleigh's scavenger hunt items as explained by his father in Part 3, Chapter 32?
8. What one certainty does Raleigh understand about religion and what personal experience helped build that belief?
9. Discuss the difference between Raleigh and Gates.
10. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of Handling Sin? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book, Handling Sin, and his other writings.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)