|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Earley in Part 3, Chapter 32, what is the importance of the library bust?
2. What musical instrument does Weeper play at the revival?
3. Where does Toutant Kingstree's livestock live?
4. Why is Toutant Kingstree important to Raleigh?
5. Who is kidnapped by the drug cartel in Part 3, Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raleigh spend his time in Charlotte and what lead does he find?
2. What one certainty does Raleigh understand about religion and what personal experience helped build that belief?
3. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
4. How does Gates intervene in the dance troupe's situation?
5. How has Aura changed over the course of the novel?
6. Who keeps the men from getting arrested at the mountain, and how?
7. Explain the prison escape that occurs as a result of the tent revival that Raleigh, Gates and Mingo visit.
8. As Raleigh tries to gather everyone to leave Charlotte, where is Gates and what is he doing?
9. Discuss why Gates rushes into a private driveway of an estate and the excuse that he gives the estate owners.
10. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description of Mingo. Was he a major character or minor one, static or dynamic? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 2
What is an antagonist? Discuss the antagonist of this novel in detail, relating the antagonist specifically to the type of conflict featured in Handling Sin.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)