|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in Raleigh's hotel bed after he gets drunk with a singer?
2. What weapon does Gates choose for the duel between him and Calhoun?
3. What is Gates delivering during his late night boat trip in Part 2, Chapter 19?
4. What literary term best describes Part 3, Chapters 34-37?
5. What instrument does Gates pretend to play when Raleigh and Mingo first arrive at the rental unit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men meet a dancer on their way to Atlanta? What is the dancer's situation?
2. What is ironic when Raleigh abandons his golf cart at the mountain?
3. Describe where Toutant lives. What does he say about his unusual surroundings and what is the truth about them?
4. What does Raleigh find when he searches for hidden treasure and what does he decide to do with it?
5. What does Raleigh learn that Jubal is doing and what is Jubal's response to Raleigh's request?
6. How does Raleigh spend his time in Charlotte and what lead does he find?
7. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
8. How does Billie's life change after the gathering in New Orleans?
9. Chapter 27 fills in details about Jubal's relationship with Victoria. What are those details?
10. What is the importance of Raleigh's scavenger hunt items as explained by his father in Part 3, Chapter 32?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of Handling Sin? What is a motif from the novel? Discuss both, explaining the difference between a theme and motif in literature.
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Explain the conflict in detail, using both the definition and examples from Handling Sin.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)