|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jubal go in Part 3, Chapter 34?
2. Who bought the fireworks that are used in Part 2, Chapter 26?
3. Which couple does Part 3, Chapter 37 discuss and describe?
4. According to Earley in Part 3, Chapter 32, what is the importance of his old trumpet?
5. What is the name of the Atlanta mall that Raleigh, Gates and Mingo visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Calhoun insist upon even after receiving payment from Gates? Discuss the details, including why it is important to him.
2. Explain Mr. Calhoun's complaint against Gates.How must Gates make amends?
3. Discuss the jazz combo that is formed in Part 3, Chapter 33.
4. What mistake does Mingo make at the Myrtle Beach hotel that tips off Mr. Calhoun to Gates' whereabouts. Who else does it tip off, and why are they searching for Gates?
5. How has Aura changed over the course of the novel?
6. Chapter 27 fills in details about Jubal's relationship with Victoria. What are those details?
7. Why was Raleigh's adventurous scavenger hunt orchestrated?
8. Explain the prison escape that occurs as a result of the tent revival that Raleigh, Gates and Mingo visit.
9. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
10. Discuss why Gates rushes into a private driveway of an estate and the excuse that he gives the estate owners.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book, Handling Sin, and his other writings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the main characters of this book. Who was the protagonist, and what separates that character from the other main characters?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)