|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Earley in Part 3, Chapter 32, what is the importance of his old trumpet?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 29, who steals a van to help rescue a kidnapped friend?
3. What does Raleigh decide to do with the treasure?
4. Who sings in the jazz combo formed in Part 3, Chapter 33?
5. What vehicle do Raleigh and his companions drive to Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 27 fills in details about Jubal's relationship with Victoria. What are those details?
2. What does Raleigh learn that Jubal is doing and what is Jubal's response to Raleigh's request?
3. How do the men meet a dancer on their way to Atlanta? What is the dancer's situation?
4. What mistake does Mingo make at the Myrtle Beach hotel that tips off Mr. Calhoun to Gates' whereabouts. Who else does it tip off, and why are they searching for Gates?
5. What does Raleigh find when he searches for hidden treasure and what does he decide to do with it?
6. Explain the prison escape that occurs as a result of the tent revival that Raleigh, Gates and Mingo visit.
7. How does Billie's life change after the gathering in New Orleans?
8. Why is Gates' excuse for the estate owners whose private driveway he enters important to the men's adventure?
9. How does Raleigh spend his time in Charlotte and what lead does he find?
10. Discuss the "massage parlor" that Mingo visits in Myrtle Beach.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description of Mingo. Was he a major character or minor one, static or dynamic? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 2
Raleigh was instructed to "collect" two people as part of his scavenger hunt. Who were they and what importance did they have?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of Handling Sin? What is a motif from the novel? Discuss both, explaining the difference between a theme and motif in literature.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)