|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Earley in Part 3, Chapter 32, what is the importance of the trunk?
2. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 30, what is beginning to form among the traveling friends?
3. Which relative goes with Jubal when he leaves in Part 3, Chapter 34?
4. Who sings in the jazz combo formed in Part 3, Chapter 33?
5. Which couple does Part 3, Chapter 37 discuss and describe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raleigh learn that Jubal is doing and what is Jubal's response to Raleigh's request?
2. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
3. Why was Raleigh's adventurous scavenger hunt orchestrated?
4. What one certainty does Raleigh understand about religion and what personal experience helped build that belief?
5. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
6. What is ironic when Raleigh abandons his golf cart at the mountain?
7. How does Gates intervene in the dance troupe's situation?
8. What mistake does Mingo make at the Myrtle Beach hotel that tips off Mr. Calhoun to Gates' whereabouts. Who else does it tip off, and why are they searching for Gates?
9. As Raleigh tries to gather everyone to leave Charlotte, where is Gates and what is he doing?
10. Why is Gates' excuse for the estate owners whose private driveway he enters important to the men's adventure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book, Handling Sin, and his other writings.
Essay Topic 2
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe Handling Sin. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss Raleigh and Gates as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)