|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time frame is this book set?
2. Who fears the police are looking for him in regards to their investigation in Part 1, Chapter 9?
3. What is Caroline doing when Raleigh arrives in Part 1:Chapter 2?
4. Who has the family Bible that Raleigh needs to collect?
5. Who is hiding out in Raleigh's rental property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of a cassette tape in Handling Sin?
2. What does Raleigh find when he searches for hidden treasure and what does he decide to do with it?
3. How has Aura changed over the course of the novel?
4. Describe where Toutant lives. What does he say about his unusual surroundings and what is the truth about them?
5. Why was Raleigh's adventurous scavenger hunt orchestrated?
6. Why is Earley in the hospital at the beginning of the story, and how does he leave?
7. Explain the legend of Major General Goodrich Hays, C.S.A., and Raleigh's connection to it.
8. What is missing from the murder investigation regarding Bonnie?
9. Where do Raleigh and Mingo get the car physically stuck, and who helps them out?
10. Explain Raleigh's message of doom in Chapter 1.
Essay Topic 1
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Handling Sin? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 2
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story, and how did it work?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Explain the conflict in detail, using both the definition and examples from Handling Sin.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)