|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mingo's job?
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, how many of Mingo's guns does Raleigh possess?
3. What is Raleigh's job?
4. Who is Lovie's son?
5. What, according to legend, may be buried near Raleigh's hometown on the property he sets out to buy in Part 1, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of a cassette tape in Handling Sin?
2. Where does Raleigh go to visit Flonnie? What does he buy her, and why?
3. What do the people of Thermopylae think Earley has done, and why?
4. What angers Raleigh at Lovie's party? Explain the situation.
5. Discuss Raleigh's family health history and what he does to avoid the same health problems.
6. How does Raleigh feel about Aura's TV appearance when he sees her on television during his visit with Flossie, and why?
7. What is Raleigh's relationship with Mingo, as the story begins in Chapter 1?
8. Explain the legend of Major General Goodrich Hays, C.S.A., and Raleigh's connection to it.
9. Where do Raleigh and Mingo get the car physically stuck, and who helps them out?
10. Explain how Raleigh ends up with a second pistol belonging to Mingo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of Handling Sin. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Handling Sin? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of this book. Who was the protagonist, and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Explain the conflict in detail, using both the definition and examples from Handling Sin.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)