|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bonnie Ellen?
2. On what floor is Raleigh's office located?
3. What does Raleigh happily discover when he makes a phone call from a tavern after the Marines have helped him?
4. What does Mingo do in Part 1, Chapter 7 that he has never before done?
5. Which engine component gives Raleigh car trouble in the Pinto in which he leaves Lovie's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raleigh feel about Aura's TV appearance when he sees her on television during his visit with Flossie, and why?
2. During Lovie's party, where does Mingo consider running away to, why, and why doesn't he go?
3. What is Raleigh's perspective of Pee Wee Jimson? What item representing Pee Wee does Raleigh's father want him to collect?
4. What note does Raleigh find in Chapter 5, and what is the truth of the situation surrounding that note?
5. How do Raleigh and Mingo encounter a van full of hoodlums, and what happens to the money Raleigh's dad gave him?
6. Discuss Raleigh's family health history and what he does to avoid the same health problems.
7. Explain the first compromising situation in which Mingo mistakenly assumes his wife Vera is having an affair with Raleigh.
8. Explain the legend of Major General Goodrich Hays, C.S.A., and Raleigh's connection to it.
9. Why does Pierce Jimson leave the property negotiation between him and Raleigh feeling distraught?
10. What angers Raleigh at Lovie's party? Explain the situation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of Handling Sin. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Handling Sin? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story, and how did it work?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss Raleigh and Gates as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)