|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to legend, may be buried near Raleigh's hometown on the property he sets out to buy in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. Where is the trunk that Raleigh is trying to retrieve in Part 1, Chapter 6?
3. Who fears the police are looking for him in regards to their investigation in Part 1, Chapter 9?
4. Where should the route that Raleigh and Mingo are driving, in Part 2, Chapter 16, take them?
5. Why is Raleigh stopped by police in Part 1, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Raleigh ends up with a second pistol belonging to Mingo.
2. Explain the first compromising situation in which Mingo mistakenly assumes his wife Vera is having an affair with Raleigh.
3. Discuss Mingo and Vera's weight.
4. Explain who solves Raleigh and Mingo's car problem after leaving Lovie's party and the payment taken for that solution.
5. Where do Raleigh and Mingo get the car physically stuck, and who helps them out?
6. Explain the legend of Major General Goodrich Hays, C.S.A., and Raleigh's connection to it.
7. Why is Raleigh pulled over by a police officer on his way home from the public library? Why does he fear he is being pulled over?
8. Who is Jimmy Clay, and what role does he have in explaining Earley's disappearance after leaving the hospital?
9. What is missing from the murder investigation regarding Bonnie?
10. What angers Raleigh at Lovie's party? Explain the situation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an antagonist? Discuss the antagonist of this novel in detail, relating the antagonist specifically to the type of conflict featured in Handling Sin.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Mingo. Was he a major character or minor one, static or dynamic? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 3
Name and discuss the items Raleigh was instructed to collect on his scavenger hunt. Write about the purpose of each.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)