|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the Cadillac that was driven to a service station in Part 1, Chapter 12?
2. From what Raleigh learns in Part 1, Chapter 2, where does Earley want Raleigh to meet him?
3. Who owns the land that Raleigh sets out to buy in Part 1, Chapter 4?
4. Who does Raleigh see on TV while visiting Flonnie in a nursing home?
5. Who fears the police are looking for him in regards to their investigation in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raleigh toss out of his car when he is stopped by a police officer, and what irony surrounds the situation?
2. After listening to the cassette tape, what delivery does Raleigh get from his father, and how does it arrive?
3. What specific instructions does Raleigh's father give him regarding Gates, and why?
4. Which three items does Raleigh learn the whereabouts of during his visit with Victoria? Discuss the whereabouts.
5. What is the misunderstanding that Raleigh's janitor has in Chapter 5?
6. How does Raleigh steal the bust from the public library?
7. What is the importance of a cassette tape in Handling Sin?
8. Explain the first compromising situation in which Mingo mistakenly assumes his wife Vera is having an affair with Raleigh.
9. Why is Earley in the hospital at the beginning of the story, and how does he leave?
10. Where do Raleigh and Mingo get the car physically stuck, and who helps them out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Explain the conflict in detail, using both the definition and examples from Handling Sin.
Essay Topic 2
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Handling Sin? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Mingo. Was he a major character or minor one, static or dynamic? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)