|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marines help Raleigh and Mingo when they get lost while driving in Part 2, Chapter 16?
2. What is Raleigh's job?
3. Where is Bonnie at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. In the beginning of the novel, who is predicted to be cheated on by his spouse?
5. How old are Caroline and Holly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the fight that Raleigh orchestrates at Lovie's party and his need to do so.
2. Why does Pierce Jimson leave the property negotiation between him and Raleigh feeling distraught?
3. How does Raleigh steal the bust from the public library?
4. Why is Raleigh pulled over by a police officer on his way home from the public library? Why does he fear he is being pulled over?
5. What do the people of Thermopylae think Earley has done, and why?
6. Explain how Raleigh ends up with a second pistol belonging to Mingo.
7. What note does Raleigh find in Chapter 5, and what is the truth of the situation surrounding that note?
8. How do Raleigh and Mingo encounter a van full of hoodlums, and what happens to the money Raleigh's dad gave him?
9. Explain who solves Raleigh and Mingo's car problem after leaving Lovie's party and the payment taken for that solution.
10. Discuss Mingo and Vera's weight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Mingo. Was he a major character or minor one, static or dynamic? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 3
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story, and how did it work?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)