|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lovie in Part 1, Chapter 11?
2. Who does Raleigh call from a pay phone in the hospital in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. Who is Bonnie Ellen?
4. Who are Caroline and Holly?
5. Who is the note really from that Raleigh discovers in his office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Mingo and Vera's weight.
2. Why does Pierce Jimson leave the property negotiation between him and Raleigh feeling distraught?
3. What note does Raleigh find in Chapter 5, and what is the truth of the situation surrounding that note?
4. What is the misunderstanding that Raleigh's janitor has in Chapter 5?
5. Who and what does Raleigh's father want him to gather to bring to him in another state?
6. Explain how Raleigh ends up with a second pistol belonging to Mingo.
7. Why is Earley in the hospital at the beginning of the story, and how does he leave?
8. How do Raleigh and Mingo encounter a van full of hoodlums, and what happens to the money Raleigh's dad gave him?
9. How does Raleigh feel about Aura's TV appearance when he sees her on television during his visit with Flossie, and why?
10. After listening to the cassette tape, what delivery does Raleigh get from his father, and how does it arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 2
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Handling Sin? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Mingo. Was he a major character or minor one, static or dynamic? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)