|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fears the police are looking for him in regards to their investigation in Part 1, Chapter 9?
2. Whose slacks get ripped in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. Which engine component gives Raleigh car trouble in the Pinto in which he leaves Lovie's house?
4. Who goes with Raleigh and Mingo to Lovie's house?
5. Who has the family Bible that Raleigh needs to collect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the legend of Major General Goodrich Hays, C.S.A., and Raleigh's connection to it.
2. What is the importance of a cassette tape in Handling Sin?
3. Explain Raleigh's message of doom in Chapter 1.
4. How do Raleigh and Mingo encounter a van full of hoodlums, and what happens to the money Raleigh's dad gave him?
5. Who and what does Raleigh's father want him to gather to bring to him in another state?
6. What is Raleigh's perspective of Pee Wee Jimson? What item representing Pee Wee does Raleigh's father want him to collect?
7. Which three items does Raleigh learn the whereabouts of during his visit with Victoria? Discuss the whereabouts.
8. What does Raleigh toss out of his car when he is stopped by a police officer, and what irony surrounds the situation?
9. Explain who solves Raleigh and Mingo's car problem after leaving Lovie's party and the payment taken for that solution.
10. What is missing from the murder investigation regarding Bonnie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Explain the conflict in detail, using both the definition and examples from Handling Sin.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Raleigh and Gates as major characters in Handling Sin.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)