|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pulls a gun on someone in a borrowed car in Part 1, Chapter 9?
2. What key element is missing from the police investigation in Part 1, Chapter 9?
3. Who borrows Vera's car in Part 1, Chapter 9?
4. In the prediction that someone is going to be cheated on by his spouse, with whom is the spouse supposed to be cheating?
5. What does Earley leave for Raleigh at the hospital in Part 1:Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why Gates rushes into a private driveway of an estate and the excuse that he gives the estate owners.
2. What angers Raleigh at Lovie's party? Explain the situation.
3. What is Raleigh's perspective of Pee Wee Jimson? What item representing Pee Wee does Raleigh's father want him to collect?
4. Explain who solves Raleigh and Mingo's car problem after leaving Lovie's party and the payment taken for that solution.
5. Why is Earley in the hospital at the beginning of the story, and how does he leave?
6. What note does Raleigh find in Chapter 5, and what is the truth of the situation surrounding that note?
7. Why does Pierce Jimson leave the property negotiation between him and Raleigh feeling distraught?
8. What is the convenience associated with Raleigh's hunt for treasure? Why might his father have planned it this way?
9. Where do Raleigh and Mingo get the car physically stuck, and who helps them out?
10. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe Handling Sin. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between tone and mood? What was the tone of Handling Sin? What was the mood of it? Was it consistent throughout or did it vary? Define the terms tone and mood and use examples from the text to support your thoughts.
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)