Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual cleaning chore does the janitor do in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. On what floor is Raleigh's office located?
3. What is Mingo's job?
4. Where is Bonnie at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. What does Raleigh happily discover when he makes a phone call from a tavern after the Marines have helped him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men meet a dancer on their way to Atlanta? What is the dancer's situation?
2. Discuss the "massage parlor" that Mingo visits in Myrtle Beach.
3. What angers Raleigh at Lovie's party? Explain the situation.
4. Discuss why Gates rushes into a private driveway of an estate and the excuse that he gives the estate owners.
5. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
6. What specific instructions does Raleigh's father give him regarding Gates, and why?
7. What is the misunderstanding that Raleigh's janitor has in Chapter 5?
8. During Lovie's party, where does Mingo consider running away to, why, and why doesn't he go?
9. Who is Jimmy Clay, and what role does he have in explaining Earley's disappearance after leaving the hospital?
10. What is ironic when Raleigh abandons his golf cart at the mountain?
Essay Topic 1
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Handling Sin? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of this book. Who was the protagonist, and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)