|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is skinny-dipping in the community pool in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. How does Raleigh enter the library in Part 1, Chapter 7?
3. What does Raleigh happily discover when he makes a phone call from a tavern after the Marines have helped him?
4. Which engine component gives Raleigh car trouble in the Pinto in which he leaves Lovie's house?
5. Who wants to commit suicide in Part 1, Chapter3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Earley in the hospital at the beginning of the story, and how does he leave?
2. Discuss Mingo and Vera's weight.
3. Who and what does Raleigh's father want him to gather to bring to him in another state?
4. Discuss Raleigh's family health history and what he does to avoid the same health problems.
5. Which three items does Raleigh learn the whereabouts of during his visit with Victoria? Discuss the whereabouts.
6. Why does Raleigh return home in wet, torn clothes after taking a walk in Part 1, Chapter 3? Explain the situation that also arises from the event.
7. How does Raleigh steal the bust from the public library?
8. Why is Raleigh pulled over by a police officer on his way home from the public library? Why does he fear he is being pulled over?
9. How does Raleigh feel about Aura's TV appearance when he sees her on television during his visit with Flossie, and why?
10. What is Raleigh's relationship with Mingo, as the story begins in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of Handling Sin. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Handling Sin? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in this novel? Explain the conflict in detail, using both the definition and examples from Handling Sin.
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)