|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the family Bible that Raleigh needs to collect?
2. What is the name of Raleigh's uncle, from whom he received his middle name?
3. Why is Raleigh unnerved when he is stopped by a police officer in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. What key element is missing from the police investigation in Part 1, Chapter 9?
5. After the Marines help Raleigh and Mingo, who does Raleigh call from a tavern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which three items does Raleigh learn the whereabouts of during his visit with Victoria? Discuss the whereabouts.
2. Describe where Toutant lives. What does he say about his unusual surroundings and what is the truth about them?
3. What is the misunderstanding that Raleigh's janitor has in Chapter 5?
4. How do Raleigh and Mingo encounter a van full of hoodlums, and what happens to the money Raleigh's dad gave him?
5. Discuss Mingo and Vera's weight.
6. Discuss the "massage parlor" that Mingo visits in Myrtle Beach.
7. During Lovie's party, where does Mingo consider running away to, why, and why doesn't he go?
8. Why was Raleigh's adventurous scavenger hunt orchestrated?
9. How does Raleigh feel about Aura's TV appearance when he sees her on television during his visit with Flossie, and why?
10. Why does Pierce Jimson leave the property negotiation between him and Raleigh feeling distraught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in Handling Sin? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 2
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of Handling Sin. What does the reader learn from the exposition in Handling Sin? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Raleigh and Gates as major characters in Handling Sin.
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)