|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Caroline doing when Raleigh arrives in Part 1:Chapter 2?
2. Who does Raleigh see on TV while visiting Flonnie in a nursing home?
3. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, how many of Mingo's guns does Raleigh possess?
4. What is Mingo's job?
5. Who fears the police are looking for him in regards to their investigation in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the first compromising situation in which Mingo mistakenly assumes his wife Vera is having an affair with Raleigh.
2. Explain who solves Raleigh and Mingo's car problem after leaving Lovie's party and the payment taken for that solution.
3. Who and what does Raleigh's father want him to gather to bring to him in another state?
4. Explain Raleigh's message of doom in Chapter 1.
5. What is Raleigh's perspective of Pee Wee Jimson? What item representing Pee Wee does Raleigh's father want him to collect?
6. What note does Raleigh find in Chapter 5, and what is the truth of the situation surrounding that note?
7. Why is Raleigh pulled over by a police officer on his way home from the public library? Why does he fear he is being pulled over?
8. What does Raleigh toss out of his car when he is stopped by a police officer, and what irony surrounds the situation?
9. How does Raleigh feel about Aura's TV appearance when he sees her on television during his visit with Flossie, and why?
10. Explain how Raleigh ends up with a second pistol belonging to Mingo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 2
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe Handling Sin. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Raleigh and Gates as major characters in Handling Sin.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)