|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Caroline doing when Raleigh arrives in Part 1:Chapter 2?
2. Who does Raleigh call from a pay phone in the hospital in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. In the prediction that someone is going to be cheated on by his spouse, with whom is the spouse supposed to be cheating?
4. In what town does Raleigh live and work?
5. Who is the note really from that Raleigh discovers in his office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Raleigh's message of doom in Chapter 1.
2. Discuss Mingo and Vera's weight.
3. What is Raleigh's relationship with Mingo, as the story begins in Chapter 1?
4. How does Raleigh steal the bust from the public library?
5. How does Raleigh feel about Aura's TV appearance when he sees her on television during his visit with Flossie, and why?
6. Why does Pierce Jimson leave the property negotiation between him and Raleigh feeling distraught?
7. What is missing from the murder investigation regarding Bonnie?
8. Why does Raleigh return home in wet, torn clothes after taking a walk in Part 1, Chapter 3? Explain the situation that also arises from the event.
9. After listening to the cassette tape, what delivery does Raleigh get from his father, and how does it arrive?
10. Which three items does Raleigh learn the whereabouts of during his visit with Victoria? Discuss the whereabouts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 2
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the falling action in this book. How did it flow? What role did the falling action have in the story, and how did it work?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Raleigh and Gates as major characters in Handling Sin.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)