|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose slacks get ripped in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. Who does Raleigh credit for his desire to be an upstanding citizen?
3. Where is Raleigh when the story begins?
4. Who is Raleigh's namesake?
5. Where do Raleigh and Mingo go when they leave the tavern in Part 2, Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss why Gates rushes into a private driveway of an estate and the excuse that he gives the estate owners.
2. What is the importance of a cassette tape in Handling Sin?
3. Where does Raleigh go to visit Flonnie? What does he buy her, and why?
4. Who and what does Raleigh's father want him to gather to bring to him in another state?
5. What is missing from the murder investigation regarding Bonnie?
6. During Lovie's party, where does Mingo consider running away to, why, and why doesn't he go?
7. Why does Raleigh return home in wet, torn clothes after taking a walk in Part 1, Chapter 3? Explain the situation that also arises from the event.
8. Explain how Raleigh ends up with a second pistol belonging to Mingo.
9. Where do Raleigh and Mingo get the car physically stuck, and who helps them out?
10. Explain Mr. Calhoun's complaint against Gates.How must Gates make amends?
Essay Topic 1
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe Handling Sin. Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between major and minor characters in literature. Discuss Raleigh and Gates as major characters and select two other characters to analyze as minor characters. How do the minor characters fit the definition?
Essay Topic 3
Name and discuss the items Raleigh was instructed to collect on his scavenger hunt. Write about the purpose of each.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)