|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 27, what does Earley advise his unwed, pregnant sister to do?
(a) To put the baby up for adoption.
(b) To kill herself.
(c) To have an abortion.
(d) To keep the baby.
2. By the end of Part 3, Chapter 30, what is beginning to form among the traveling friends?
(a) A jazz combo.
(b) A band of villains.
(c) A club.
(d) A pact.
3. What card does Gates have that wins him the chance to choose the weapon for his duel against Calhoun?
4. In the end, who is forgiven for not trying to keep in touch?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 29, where does the stolen van get stuck?
(a) Downtown in an intersection.
(b) On amusement park train tracks.
(c) On top of a geyser.
(d) On top of the moutain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Weeper live, at the time of the revival?
2. What kind of motorcycle does Gates have?
3. Who goes with Gates on a late night boat trip in Part 2, Chapter 19?
4. Who are the two new passengers who tag along with Raleigh, Gates and Mingo as they leave for Atlanta?
5. What instrument does Gates pretend to play when Raleigh and Mingo first arrive at the rental unit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men meet a dancer on their way to Atlanta? What is the dancer's situation?
2. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
3. What is ironic when Raleigh abandons his golf cart at the mountain?
4. How has Aura changed over the course of the novel?
5. How does Gates intervene in the dance troupe's situation?
6. Explain Mr. Calhoun's complaint against Gates.How must Gates make amends?
7. What mistake does Mingo make at the Myrtle Beach hotel that tips off Mr. Calhoun to Gates' whereabouts. Who else does it tip off, and why are they searching for Gates?
8. Why was Raleigh's adventurous scavenger hunt orchestrated?
9. Discuss why Gates rushes into a private driveway of an estate and the excuse that he gives the estate owners.
10. How does Raleigh spend his time in Charlotte and what lead does he find?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)