|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Earley advise his unwed, pregnant sister to explain her reason for leaving town?
(a) To say she is changing colleges.
(b) To say she needs a better doctor.
(c) To say she wants to live closer to family.
(d) To say she needs more freedom.
2. Why is Toutant Kingstree important to Raleigh?
(a) He knows how to play trumpet.
(b) He might know where to find Jubal.
(c) He wants to take guitar lessons from him.
(d) He has the family Bible.
3. Chapter 22 is dedicated to descriptions of what town?
4. According to Earley in Part 3, Chapter 32, what is the importance of his old trumpet?
(a) It has money hidden in it.
(b) He plans to pawn it for cash.
(c) He wants to teach Raleigh to play it.
(d) He plans to play it in a jazz club.
5. Where does Toutant Kingstree's livestock live?
(a) In pens.
(b) In abandoned cars.
(c) In a chicken house.
(d) In a garage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raleigh take from the rental cabin to add to his scavenger hunt?
2. Who arrives mid-song to play clarinet with the jazz combo in Part 3, Chapter33?
3. Which couple does Part 3, Chapter 37 discuss and describe?
4. What is Jubal's full-time job?
5. What weapon does Gates choose for the duel between him and Calhoun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billie's life change after the gathering in New Orleans?
2. What is the importance of Raleigh's scavenger hunt items as explained by his father in Part 3, Chapter 32?
3. Explain Mr. Calhoun's complaint against Gates.How must Gates make amends?
4. Discuss why Gates rushes into a private driveway of an estate and the excuse that he gives the estate owners.
5. As Raleigh tries to gather everyone to leave Charlotte, where is Gates and what is he doing?
6. What does Mr. Calhoun insist upon even after receiving payment from Gates? Discuss the details, including why it is important to him.
7. What case of mistaken identity does the drug cartel make on the mountain, and how do they act upon it?
8. Discuss the jazz combo that is formed in Part 3, Chapter 33.
9. Describe where Toutant lives. What does he say about his unusual surroundings and what is the truth about them?
10. Where are the characters of this story and what happens when the lights go out in Charlotte?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)