|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raleigh happily discover when he makes a phone call from a tavern after the Marines have helped him?
(a) That another man does not answer the phone.
(b) That his stepmother is still alive.
(c) That his father has come to his senses.
(d) That Aura has not been arrested.
2. Where do Raleigh and Mingo spend the night after hoodlums rob them in the rain?
(a) In a nice hotel.
(b) In a convent.
(c) In a hospital.
(d) In a ratty hotel.
3. How do the people of Raleigh's hometown view the story regarding the land that he sets out to buy in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) As irrelevant.
(b) As possible.
(c) As fact.
(d) As a myth.
4. Where is Raleigh when the story begins?
(a) In his office.
(b) At his father's house.
(c) The Lotus House.
(d) At his house.
5. What unusual cleaning chore does the janitor do in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Removes Bonnie's body.
(b) Cleans the windows.
(c) Carpet stain removal.
(d) Mops the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accent do Caroline and Holly have?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how much money does Raleigh pay for the property he sets out to buy?
3. Who is Aura?
4. Why is Raleigh stopped by police in Part 1, Chapter 8?
5. In the beginning of the novel, who is predicted to fall to pieces by the end of the month?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raleigh steal the bust from the public library?
2. Discuss Raleigh's family health history and what he does to avoid the same health problems.
3. What is the misunderstanding that Raleigh's janitor has in Chapter 5?
4. After listening to the cassette tape, what delivery does Raleigh get from his father, and how does it arrive?
5. What does Raleigh toss out of his car when he is stopped by a police officer, and what irony surrounds the situation?
6. Discuss Mingo and Vera's weight.
7. What is Raleigh's perspective of Pee Wee Jimson? What item representing Pee Wee does Raleigh's father want him to collect?
8. What is Raleigh's relationship with Mingo, as the story begins in Chapter 1?
9. Explain Raleigh's message of doom in Chapter 1.
10. Why does Raleigh return home in wet, torn clothes after taking a walk in Part 1, Chapter 3? Explain the situation that also arises from the event.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)