|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the route that Raleigh and Mingo are driving, in Part 2, Chapter 16, actually take them?
(a) To New York.
(b) To Boston.
(c) To a dead end road.
(d) To a swamp.
2. In the beginning of the novel, who is predicted to fall to pieces by the end of the month?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how much money does Raleigh pay for the property he sets out to buy?
4. Who is Lovie's son?
5. What does Raleigh happily discover when he makes a phone call from a tavern after the Marines have helped him?
(a) That another man does not answer the phone.
(b) That Aura has not been arrested.
(c) That his father has come to his senses.
(d) That his stepmother is still alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 12, who is out of prison on parole?
2. What physical characteristic best describes Mingo?
3. What are police investigating in Part 1, Chapter 9?
4. Who pulls a gun on someone in a borrowed car in Part 1, Chapter 9?
5. Who does Raleigh credit for his desire to be an upstanding citizen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jimmy Clay, and what role does he have in explaining Earley's disappearance after leaving the hospital?
2. What angers Raleigh at Lovie's party? Explain the situation.
3. Who and what does Raleigh's father want him to gather to bring to him in another state?
4. Explain the legend of Major General Goodrich Hays, C.S.A., and Raleigh's connection to it.
5. Where do Raleigh and Mingo get the car physically stuck, and who helps them out?
6. Why does Raleigh return home in wet, torn clothes after taking a walk in Part 1, Chapter 3? Explain the situation that also arises from the event.
7. What specific instructions does Raleigh's father give him regarding Gates, and why?
8. Explain the fight that Raleigh orchestrates at Lovie's party and his need to do so.
9. Discuss Raleigh's family health history and what he does to avoid the same health problems.
10. Explain Raleigh's message of doom in Chapter 1.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)