|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Raleigh when the story begins?
2. In the beginning of the novel, who is predicted to fall to pieces by the end of the month?
3. Who is the janitor in Raleigh's office building?
(a) Bill Pierson.
(b) Bill Kaiser.
(c) Bill Jimson.
(d) Bill Jenkins.
4. With whom does Aura protest in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(b) Her college professor.
(c) Her book club.
(d) A group she recently joined.
5. Who decides during a surprise party to run away to South America to avoid the law?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are police investigating in Part 1, Chapter 9?
2. Whose slacks get ripped in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. What is Raleigh reading when the story begins?
4. How does Raleigh enter the library in Part 1, Chapter 7?
5. Who does Raleigh see when he is on his way to commit the theft in Part 1, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the first compromising situation in which Mingo mistakenly assumes his wife Vera is having an affair with Raleigh.
2. Why is Earley in the hospital at the beginning of the story, and how does he leave?
3. Explain Raleigh's message of doom in Chapter 1.
4. What is the misunderstanding that Raleigh's janitor has in Chapter 5?
5. What is the importance of a cassette tape in Handling Sin?
6. Discuss Raleigh's family health history and what he does to avoid the same health problems.
7. Explain the legend of Major General Goodrich Hays, C.S.A., and Raleigh's connection to it.
8. Who is Jimmy Clay, and what role does he have in explaining Earley's disappearance after leaving the hospital?
9. What is Raleigh's relationship with Mingo, as the story begins in Chapter 1?
10. What do the people of Thermopylae think Earley has done, and why?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)