|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Raleigh and Mingo spend the night after hoodlums rob them in the rain?
(a) In a convent.
(b) In a ratty hotel.
(c) In a nice hotel.
(d) In a hospital.
2. From what Raleigh learns in Part 1, Chapter 2, where does Earley want Raleigh to meet him?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) In Mayberry.
(c) In Atlanta.
(d) In Charlotte.
3. What car does Raleigh own in the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Mercury Capris.
(b) Buick LeSabre.
(c) Ford Fiesta.
4. Who is Raleigh's namesake?
(a) Raleigh Smithpeters, the town founder.
(b) Sir Walter Raleigh.
(c) Raleigh "Dizzy" Gillaspie.
(d) His father.
5. Who borrows Vera's car in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Vera?
2. In the beginning of the novel, who is predicted to fall to pieces by the end of the month?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 5, how much money does Raleigh pay for the property he sets out to buy?
4. Where should the route that Raleigh and Mingo are driving, in Part 2, Chapter 16, take them?
5. In what time frame is this book set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Raleigh's message of doom in Chapter 1.
2. What is the misunderstanding that Raleigh's janitor has in Chapter 5?
3. What is Raleigh's perspective of Pee Wee Jimson? What item representing Pee Wee does Raleigh's father want him to collect?
4. What note does Raleigh find in Chapter 5, and what is the truth of the situation surrounding that note?
5. Explain the legend of Major General Goodrich Hays, C.S.A., and Raleigh's connection to it.
6. What is missing from the murder investigation regarding Bonnie?
7. Why does Pierce Jimson leave the property negotiation between him and Raleigh feeling distraught?
8. Explain the fight that Raleigh orchestrates at Lovie's party and his need to do so.
9. What angers Raleigh at Lovie's party? Explain the situation.
10. What is Raleigh's relationship with Mingo, as the story begins in Chapter 1?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)