|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ophelia she say about the herb rosemary?
2. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
3. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
4. How does Claudius die?
5. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
2. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
3. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
4. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
5. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
6. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
7. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
8. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
9. After Polonius's death, Ophelia comes to see Gertrude. What do we learn about Ophelia in that scene?
10. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify one or more characters as the most important "victim(s)" of this play. Who is the most unfairly punished by the sequence of events? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In the play we see both soliloquies (someone talking to themselves or the audience) and monologues (a single character talking to other characters). Compare and contrast the soliloquies and monologues of a single character. How is Claudius different in monologue than in soliloquy? How is Hamlet different? What is Shakespeare saying about the character's ability to be honest with him/herself and with others?
Essay Topic 3
Study some of the basics of Niccolo Machiavelli's "The Prince" and apply them to the political situation in Denmark. What would Machiavelli say about Claudius? Polonius? Fortinbras? Hamlet?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)