|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claudius die?
2. Claudius suggests a duel between Laertes and Hamlet, but that type of duel usually is not deadly. What does Claudius suggest they do to injure Hamlet?
3. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
4. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
5. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
2. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
3. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
4. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
5. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
6. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
7. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
8. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
9. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
10. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a speech by any character that is at least 20 lines long. In an essay, explain the context of the speech within the play, then analyze the speech. Identify its major themes or points and discuss the use of language in the speech. Is there specific imagery used? What effect does that imagery have? Why is there a speech at that point in the text? What purpose does it serve, and why is it long instead of just a couple of lines?
Essay Topic 2
Shakespeare is well known for adding comic characters to his most serious plays. In Hamlet, these characters may include Polonius, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Osric, and the gravediggers. Choose one or two of these characters/pairs of characters. Identify how they add comic relief to the script and at what point in the action does Shakespeare include them. How is that scene changed by having humor included?
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes in the play is connected to ears, hearing, and trusting what you hear. Identify one or two important moments in each act when that theme comes up. Explain the moment, why it is important, and how it contributes to the overall theme.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)