|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
2. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
3. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
4. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
5. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Gertrude and Ophelia, focusing on the following points:
-- To what extent is each of them a victim of what happens?
-- To what extent does each of them cause what happens?
-- Does Gertrude affect Hamlet's relationship with Ophelia? If so, how? Does Ophelia affect Hamlet's relationship with Gertrude? If so, how?
-- How do the other men in the play treat Gertrude and Ophelia? How does that contribute to our overall sense of them? Focus specifically on the ghost, Claudius, Laertes, and Polonius.
-- Does it matter that these are essentially the only two female characters in the play? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Is Hamlet really crazy? Take a stand on this topic and support your stance with specific examples from throughout the text.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a relatively minor character, such as Horatio, and make an argument about why that character is vital to the plot and themes of Hamlet. Choose wisely; some characters will make this essay easier than others.
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)