|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
2. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
3. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
4. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
5. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
2. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
3. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
4. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
5. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
6. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
7. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
8. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
9. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
10. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sigmund Freud put forward the idea of the "Oedipus complex," based on the character of Oedipus from Greek tragedy. Freud also asserted that Hamlet has a serious Oedipus complex. Research the idea of the Oedipus complex and write an essay in which you do the following:
-- Explain what the Oedipus complex is.
-- State whether or not you think Hamlet has an Oedipus complex.
-- Support your view with information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Shakespeare is well known for adding comic characters to his most serious plays. In Hamlet, these characters may include Polonius, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Osric, and the gravediggers. Choose one or two of these characters/pairs of characters. Identify how they add comic relief to the script and at what point in the action does Shakespeare include them. How is that scene changed by having humor included?
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Hamlet says "Words, words, words," and while there are a lot of words in this play, people use those words to manipulate or control each other, rather than to tell each other the truth. What theme or lesson can be drawn from this play about the important of words and language? Support your thesis with examples from the text.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)