|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
2. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
3. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
4. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
5. How does Claudius die?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
2. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
3. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
4. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
5. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
6. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
7. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
8. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
9. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
10. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Hamlet really crazy? Take a stand on this topic and support your stance with specific examples from throughout the text.
Essay Topic 2
The play focuses a lot on death. There is the death of the old king and Hamlet's "excessive" mourning. There is the appearance of the ghost and its description of the afterlife. There is Hamlet's obsession with suicide and Ophelia's apparent suicide. There is the entire graveyard scene, with its varied perspectives on death. Shakespeare puts forth many different perspectives on this topic in the play. Choose one belief or perspective that is presented in the play; explain it and identify two or three instances in the play where that belief is supported or represented.
Essay Topic 3
Sigmund Freud put forward the idea of the "Oedipus complex," based on the character of Oedipus from Greek tragedy. Freud also asserted that Hamlet has a serious Oedipus complex. Research the idea of the Oedipus complex and write an essay in which you do the following:
-- Explain what the Oedipus complex is.
-- State whether or not you think Hamlet has an Oedipus complex.
-- Support your view with information from the text.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)