|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
2. Claudius asks Hamlet a second time about where they can find his victim. Hamlet responds, "In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger find him not there, seek him i' the other place yourself." What other place is Hamlet suggesting Claudius visit?
3. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
4. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
5. At the end of the play, a messenger arrives from England with news. What is the news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1887, Lord Action wrote, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Do you think Shakespeare would agree? Use examples from the play to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
One of the major themes in the play is connected to ears, hearing, and trusting what you hear. Identify one or two important moments in each act when that theme comes up. Explain the moment, why it is important, and how it contributes to the overall theme.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony, dramatic and otherwise, throughout the play. How does Shakespeare use irony to make his scenes more effective?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)