|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
2. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
4. After the play is performed, what does Polonius ask Hamlet to do?
5. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
2. What is the point or theme of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
3. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
4. What is the setting (time and place) at the beginning of the day?
5. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's appearance?
7. After the play-within-a-play, Claudius meets with Hamlet's old friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern loyal to? How can you tell?
8. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
9. How does Claudius react to the play-within-a-play?
10. During Hamlet's first conversation with the ghost, the ghost asks for revenge. Who does the ghost want revenge on and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Shakespeare uses foreshadowing to prepare his audience for the very bloody end of the play. Identify specific examples from the first four acts of the script.
Essay Topic 2
Is Hamlet really crazy? Take a stand on this topic and support your stance with specific examples from throughout the text.
Essay Topic 3
Study some of the basics of Niccolo Machiavelli's "The Prince" and apply them to the political situation in Denmark. What would Machiavelli say about Claudius? Polonius? Fortinbras? Hamlet?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)