|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
2. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
3. How does Hamlet react when he sees the ghost for the first time?
4. After witnessing Hamlet's behavior during the play, what does Claudius say about his condition?
5. After watching Hamlet and Ophelia together in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius decide to do with Hamlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
2. What is the setting (time and place) of Act 1, Scene 4?
3. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
4. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he will do next?
5. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
6. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and why do they go to Elsinore?
7. The first time Claudius appears on stage, he gives a speech describing the current state of affairs in Denmark. He identifies and explains three major events. What are those events?
8. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
9. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
10. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Shakespeare uses foreshadowing to prepare his audience for the very bloody end of the play. Identify specific examples from the first four acts of the script.
Essay Topic 2
In 1887, Lord Action wrote, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Do you think Shakespeare would agree? Use examples from the play to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a speech by any character that is at least 20 lines long. In an essay, explain the context of the speech within the play, then analyze the speech. Identify its major themes or points and discuss the use of language in the speech. Is there specific imagery used? What effect does that imagery have? Why is there a speech at that point in the text? What purpose does it serve, and why is it long instead of just a couple of lines?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)