Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
2. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
3. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
5. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
2. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
3. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
4. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
5. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
6. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
7. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
8. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
10. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
Essay Topic 1
Shakespeare frequently attributes disease or unhappiness in "great ones" as a sign of disease or unhappiness in an entire community. In "A Midsummer Night's Dream," for example, the entire world is out-of-whack because the king and queen of the faeries are fighting. There is no question that the "great ones" in Hamlet are diseased/unhappy. How does that unhappiness manifest itself in the rest of the country? Provide specific examples from the play to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Shakespeare is well known for adding comic characters to his most serious plays. In Hamlet, these characters may include Polonius, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, Osric, and the gravediggers. Choose one or two of these characters/pairs of characters. Identify how they add comic relief to the script and at what point in the action does Shakespeare include them. How is that scene changed by having humor included?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony, dramatic and otherwise, throughout the play. How does Shakespeare use irony to make his scenes more effective?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)