|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
3. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
4. Ophelia comes to watch the play. Before the play begins, how does Hamlet act towards her?
5. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
2. Once alone after the play-within-a-play, Claudius bemoans his crimes and falls to his knees in prayer. But at the end of the scene, what does he say about his praying?
3. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
4. Hamlet says "O, that this too too solid flesh would melt...." This soliloquy in Act 1, Scene 2, is the first introduction of a theme that Hamlet will talk about repeatedly in the play. What does he talk about doing or wanting to do in this soliloquy?
5. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
6. During Hamlet's first conversation with the ghost, the ghost asks for revenge. Who does the ghost want revenge on and why?
7. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
8. How does Hamlet act towards Ophelia during the play-within-a-play?
9. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
10. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play we see both soliloquies (someone talking to themselves or the audience) and monologues (a single character talking to other characters). Compare and contrast the soliloquies and monologues of a single character. How is Claudius different in monologue than in soliloquy? How is Hamlet different? What is Shakespeare saying about the character's ability to be honest with him/herself and with others?
Essay Topic 2
Is Hamlet really crazy? Take a stand on this topic and support your stance with specific examples from throughout the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Shakespeare uses foreshadowing to prepare his audience for the very bloody end of the play. Identify specific examples from the first four acts of the script.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)