Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
2. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
3. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
5. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
2. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
3. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
4. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
5. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
6. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
7. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
8. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
10. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
Essay Topic 1
The play focuses a lot on death. There is the death of the old king and Hamlet's "excessive" mourning. There is the appearance of the ghost and its description of the afterlife. There is Hamlet's obsession with suicide and Ophelia's apparent suicide. There is the entire graveyard scene, with its varied perspectives on death. Shakespeare puts forth many different perspectives on this topic in the play. Choose one belief or perspective that is presented in the play; explain it and identify two or three instances in the play where that belief is supported or represented.
Essay Topic 2
One of the major themes in the play is connected to ears, hearing, and trusting what you hear. Identify one or two important moments in each act when that theme comes up. Explain the moment, why it is important, and how it contributes to the overall theme.
Essay Topic 3
Is Hamlet really crazy? Take a stand on this topic and support your stance with specific examples from throughout the text.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)