|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
2. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
3. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
5. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
2. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
3. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
4. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
5. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
6. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
7. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
8. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
10. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony, dramatic and otherwise, throughout the play. How does Shakespeare use irony to make his scenes more effective?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Gertrude and Ophelia, focusing on the following points:
-- To what extent is each of them a victim of what happens?
-- To what extent does each of them cause what happens?
-- Does Gertrude affect Hamlet's relationship with Ophelia? If so, how? Does Ophelia affect Hamlet's relationship with Gertrude? If so, how?
-- How do the other men in the play treat Gertrude and Ophelia? How does that contribute to our overall sense of them? Focus specifically on the ghost, Claudius, Laertes, and Polonius.
-- Does it matter that these are essentially the only two female characters in the play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Is Hamlet really crazy? Take a stand on this topic and support your stance with specific examples from throughout the text.
This section contains 1,762 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)