|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
(b) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
(c) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
(d) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
2. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
(a) The ambassadors to Norway.
(b) Laertes and Ophelia.
(c) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
3. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is not crazy.
(b) He is determined to get revenge.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
4. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be fast.
(b) They will be careful.
(c) They will be bloody.
(d) They will be crafty.
5. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
(a) He wants to kill himself, but Hamlet asks him to live.
(b) He gets poisoned by accident.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He wants to kill himself, but Fortinbras stops him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
2. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
3. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
4. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
5. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)