|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the play, a messenger arrives from England with news. What is the news?
(a) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have sent help to Denmark.
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have been executed.
(c) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are on their way back to Denmark.
(d) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have arrived safely.
2. Claudius suggests a duel between Laertes and Hamlet, but that type of duel usually is not deadly. What does Claudius suggest they do to injure Hamlet?
(a) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
(b) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
(c) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
(d) Bribe the referee.
3. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
(a) Hamlet needs to be executed.
(b) Hamlet needs to be sent to jail.
(c) Hamlet might have killed him.
(d) Hamlet is a brave man.
4. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(b) She gets sick.
(c) She goes crazy.
(d) She wants to kill Hamlet.
5. How does Hamlet act after he has killed someone?
(a) He is relieved to have finally done something.
(b) He is sorry for his crime.
(c) He does not seem sorry for his crime.
(d) He is frightened that someone will now try to kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
2. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
3. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
4. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
5. When Hamlet visits his mother in her room in Act 3, Scene 4, he speaks very harshly to his mother. What makes him stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
2. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
3. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
4. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
5. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
6. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
7. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
8. After Polonius's death, Ophelia comes to see Gertrude. What do we learn about Ophelia in that scene?
9. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
10. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)