|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens between Laertes and Hamlet in the graveyard scene?
(a) They shake hands over Ophelia's grave.
(b) They both jump into Ophelia's grave and get in a fight.
(c) Laertes tries to kill Hamlet.
(d) Laertes blames Hamlet for his sister's death.
2. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
(b) To be locked in his room.
(c) Off to prison.
(d) Back to school.
3. After he leaves the ship, how will Hamlet make his way back to Elsinore?
(a) Ophelia must come get him.
(b) Hamlet must escape from the pirates.
(c) Horatio must come get him.
(d) Claudius must pay a ransom.
4. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
(c) No one.
5. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
(a) The dead body of Polonius.
(b) A portrait of his mother.
(c) The dead body of Claudius.
(d) A portrait of his dead father.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
2. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
3. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
4. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
5. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
2. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
3. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
4. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
5. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
6. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
7. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
8. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
9. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
10. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)