|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
(a) Forces her to face what she has done.
(b) Tells her about the ghost.
(c) Kills Claudius.
(d) Kills her.
2. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
(a) The victim is not really dead and is eating supper in the castle.
(b) The victim is eating supper in Heaven.
(c) The victim is eating supper in Hell.
(d) The worms are eating the victim for supper.
3. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
(b) The king's jester, now dead.
(c) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(d) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
4. As Laertes and Claudius discuss how to kill Hamlet, what news does Gertrude bring?
(a) Ophelia has died by drowning.
(b) Ophelia has died by stabbing herself.
(c) Ophelia has died by taking poison.
(d) Ophelia has died by hanging herself.
5. At the end of Act 4, Scene 5, what does Claudius offer to do for Laertes?
(a) Tell Laertes the truth about his father's death.
(b) Help Laertes kill Hamlet.
(c) Take care of Ophelia.
(d) Show Laertes where his father is buried.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
2. How does Claudius die?
3. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
4. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
5. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
2. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
3. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
4. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
5. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
6. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
7. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
8. After Polonius's death, Ophelia comes to see Gertrude. What do we learn about Ophelia in that scene?
9. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
10. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)