|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
(a) Hamlet should be locked away forever.
(b) Hamlet should be put on trial for murder.
(c) Hamlet should be put to death.
(d) Hamlet should be exiled from Denmark.
2. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
(a) They are weak and foolish.
(b) They are spies for Claudius.
(c) They are good, true friends.
(d) They are dangerous.
3. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
4. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
(a) To the chapel.
(b) To the doctor.
(c) To the graveyard.
(d) To the police.
5. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gertrude die?
2. When Hamlet visits his mother in her room in Act 3, Scene 4, he speaks very harshly to his mother. What makes him stop?
3. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
4. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
5. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
2. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
3. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
4. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
5. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
6. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
7. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
8. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
9. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
10. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)