|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She gets sick.
(b) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(c) She wants to kill Hamlet.
(d) She goes crazy.
2. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
3. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
(a) To be locked in his room.
(b) Off to prison.
(d) Back to school.
4. Some sailors arrive at Elsinore from a pirate ship in Act 4, Scene 6. Who do they deliver a letter to?
5. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
(a) He is crazy, but not a bad person.
(b) Gertrude will be upset if they are hard on him.
(c) He is still a prince.
(d) The people of Denmark love him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
2. Who is "poor Yorick"?
3. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
4. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
5. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
2. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
3. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
4. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
5. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
6. After Polonius's death, Ophelia comes to see Gertrude. What do we learn about Ophelia in that scene?
7. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
8. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
9. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
10. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)