|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
2. How does Hamlet act after he has killed someone?
(a) He is relieved to have finally done something.
(b) He is sorry for his crime.
(c) He does not seem sorry for his crime.
(d) He is frightened that someone will now try to kill him.
3. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
4. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
(a) He is still a prince.
(b) The people of Denmark love him.
(c) He is crazy, but not a bad person.
(d) Gertrude will be upset if they are hard on him.
5. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gertrude die?
2. As Laertes and Claudius discuss how to kill Hamlet, what news does Gertrude bring?
3. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
4. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
5. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
2. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
3. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
4. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
5. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
6. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
7. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
8. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
9. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
10. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)