|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
(a) Find Hamlet so the guards can arrest him.
(b) Protect Ophelia from Hamlet.
(c) Get the body from Hamlet.
(d) Protect Getrude from Hamlet.
2. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
(a) Hamlet has decided to act crazy even with his mother.
(b) Gertrude is talking about the dead king, but Hamlet is talking about Claudius.
(c) Getrude is talking about Claudius, but Hamlet is talking about the dead king.
(d) Gertrude is using the dead king to force Hamlet to behave himself.
3. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
(a) Hamlet should be exiled from Denmark.
(b) Hamlet should be put to death.
(c) Hamlet should be locked away forever.
(d) Hamlet should be put on trial for murder.
4. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
(a) To talk to Hamlet.
(b) To take over the throne of Denmark.
(c) Revenge on the people responsible for his father's death.
(d) To visit with his sister.
5. How does Laertes die?
(a) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(d) Hamlet kills him with a poisoned sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
2. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
3. Claudius asks Hamlet a second time about where they can find his victim. Hamlet responds, "In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger find him not there, seek him i' the other place yourself." What other place is Hamlet suggesting Claudius visit?
4. How does Gertrude die?
5. As Gertrude lays flowers at Ophelia's grave, what does she say?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
2. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
3. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
4. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
5. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
6. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
7. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
8. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
9. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
10. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)