|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claudius die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(c) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(d) Laertes kills him with a poisoned sword.
2. How does Gertrude die?
(a) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(b) She kills herself by drowning.
(c) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
(d) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
3. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be fast.
(b) They will be careful.
(c) They will be bloody.
(d) They will be crafty.
4. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
(b) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(c) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
(d) The king's jester, now dead.
5. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
(b) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
(c) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
(d) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamlet manage to avoid his fate in England?
2. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
3. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
4. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
5. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
2. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
3. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
4. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
5. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
6. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
7. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
8. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
9. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
10. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)