|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
(a) Whether the murder will affect his power and ability to rule.
(b) Whether a doctor can help Hamlet get better.
(c) Whether Hamlet will try to kill.
(d) Whether Hamlet should stand trial.
2. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
3. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) The king's jester, now dead.
(b) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(c) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
4. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
(a) Kills Claudius.
(b) Forces her to face what she has done.
(c) Tells her about the ghost.
(d) Kills her.
5. At the end of the play, a messenger arrives from England with news. What is the news?
(a) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are on their way back to Denmark.
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have been executed.
(c) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have sent help to Denmark.
(d) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have arrived safely.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Laertes die?
2. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
3. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
4. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
5. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
2. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
3. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
4. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
5. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
6. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
7. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
8. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
9. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
10. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)