|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
(a) That the person died from the plague.
(b) That the person who died was very old.
(c) That the person who died was poor.
(d) That the person died by suicide.
2. How does Gertrude die?
(a) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
(b) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(c) She kills herself by drowning.
(d) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
3. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
(a) Because Gertrude loves him and Ophelia might kill herself if he is killed.
(b) Because Gertrude loves him and the common people love him.
(c) Because the common people love him and Fortinbras might attack if he is killed.
(d) Because Hamlet is heir to the throne and Gertrude loves him.
4. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
(a) No one.
5. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
(a) They are weak and foolish.
(b) They are dangerous.
(c) They are good, true friends.
(d) They are spies for Claudius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
2. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
3. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
4. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
5. How does Claudius die?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
2. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
3. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
4. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
5. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
6. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
7. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
8. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
9. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
10. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)