|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
(a) They think he is to blame for the last king's death
(b) They want to kill him.
(c) They want to make him king.
(d) They think he should lead the armies against Norway.
2. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
(a) The people of Denmark love him.
(b) Gertrude will be upset if they are hard on him.
(c) He is crazy, but not a bad person.
(d) He is still a prince.
3. What does Ophelia she say about the herb rosemary?
(a) Rosemary is her favorite plant.
(b) Rosemary stands for thoughts.
(c) Rosemary stands for remembrance.
(d) The rosemary died when her father died.
4. As Gertrude lays flowers at Ophelia's grave, what does she say?
(a) She believes Ophelia is now an angel.
(b) She is sorry Ophelia died so young.
(c) She hoped Ophelia and Hamlet would marry.
(d) She is glad Ophelia will be with her father now.
5. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
(b) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
(c) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
(d) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
2. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
3. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
4. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
5. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Polonius's death, Ophelia comes to see Gertrude. What do we learn about Ophelia in that scene?
2. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
3. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
4. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
5. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
6. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
7. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
8. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
9. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
10. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)