|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
(a) To take over the throne of Denmark.
(b) Revenge on the people responsible for his father's death.
(c) To talk to Hamlet.
(d) To visit with his sister.
2. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
(a) Poison the tip of the sword.
(b) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
(c) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
(d) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
3. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
4. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
(a) Find Hamlet so the guards can arrest him.
(b) Get the body from Hamlet.
(c) Protect Getrude from Hamlet.
(d) Protect Ophelia from Hamlet.
5. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
(a) The ambassadors to Norway.
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(c) Laertes and Ophelia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamlet manage to avoid his fate in England?
2. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
3. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
4. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
5. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Polonius's death, Ophelia comes to see Gertrude. What do we learn about Ophelia in that scene?
2. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
3. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
4. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
5. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
6. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
7. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
8. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
9. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
10. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)