|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ophelia she say about the herb rosemary?
(a) Rosemary stands for remembrance.
(b) Rosemary is her favorite plant.
(c) The rosemary died when her father died.
(d) Rosemary stands for thoughts.
2. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
(b) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
(c) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
(d) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
3. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
(a) He wants to kill himself, but Fortinbras stops him.
(b) He wants to kill himself, but Hamlet asks him to live.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He gets poisoned by accident.
4. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
(a) The victim is eating supper in Heaven.
(b) The victim is eating supper in Hell.
(c) The victim is not really dead and is eating supper in the castle.
(d) The worms are eating the victim for supper.
5. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
(a) Whether Hamlet should stand trial.
(b) Whether a doctor can help Hamlet get better.
(c) Whether Hamlet will try to kill.
(d) Whether the murder will affect his power and ability to rule.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he leaves the ship, how will Hamlet make his way back to Elsinore?
2. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
3. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
4. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
5. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
2. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
3. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
4. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
5. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
6. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
7. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
8. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
9. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
10. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)