|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Laertes and Claudius discuss how to kill Hamlet, what news does Gertrude bring?
(a) Ophelia has died by hanging herself.
(b) Ophelia has died by stabbing herself.
(c) Ophelia has died by drowning.
(d) Ophelia has died by taking poison.
2. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
(a) That the person who died was poor.
(b) That the person died from the plague.
(c) That the person died by suicide.
(d) That the person who died was very old.
3. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
(b) Off to prison.
(c) Back to school.
(d) To be locked in his room.
4. When Hamlet visits his mother in her room in Act 3, Scene 4, he speaks very harshly to his mother. What makes him stop?
(a) Ophelia enters the room.
(b) Getrude kills herself.
(c) Claudius enters the room.
(d) The ghost appears.
5. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
(a) A portrait of his mother.
(b) The dead body of Claudius.
(c) The dead body of Polonius.
(d) A portrait of his dead father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
2. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
3. How does Laertes die?
4. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
5. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
2. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
3. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
4. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
5. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
6. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
7. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
8. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
9. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
10. After Polonius's death, Ophelia comes to see Gertrude. What do we learn about Ophelia in that scene?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)