|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the play, a messenger arrives from England with news. What is the news?
(a) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have been executed.
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have arrived safely.
(c) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have sent help to Denmark.
(d) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are on their way back to Denmark.
2. How does Hamlet act after he has killed someone?
(a) He is relieved to have finally done something.
(b) He is sorry for his crime.
(c) He is frightened that someone will now try to kill him.
(d) He does not seem sorry for his crime.
3. What does Ophelia say about violets?
(a) Violets are her favorite flower.
(b) Violets stand for remembrance.
(c) The violets died when her father died.
(d) Violets stand for thoughts.
4. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
(a) Because Hamlet is heir to the throne and Gertrude loves him.
(b) Because Gertrude loves him and the common people love him.
(c) Because the common people love him and Fortinbras might attack if he is killed.
(d) Because Gertrude loves him and Ophelia might kill herself if he is killed.
5. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
(a) To visit with his sister.
(b) To talk to Hamlet.
(c) To take over the throne of Denmark.
(d) Revenge on the people responsible for his father's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
2. How does Laertes die?
3. How does Claudius die?
4. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
5. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
2. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
3. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
4. In the last scene of Act 3, Polonius is killed. At the end of the scene, what happens to his body?
5. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
6. In Act 4, Scene 3, what does Claudius reveal to the audience about his plans for Hamlet in England?
7. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
8. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
9. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
10. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)