|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 4, Scene 5, what does Claudius offer to do for Laertes?
(a) Show Laertes where his father is buried.
(b) Help Laertes kill Hamlet.
(c) Take care of Ophelia.
(d) Tell Laertes the truth about his father's death.
2. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
(a) The victim is not really dead and is eating supper in the castle.
(b) The victim is eating supper in Heaven.
(c) The victim is eating supper in Hell.
(d) The worms are eating the victim for supper.
3. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
(a) Find Hamlet so the guards can arrest him.
(b) Protect Getrude from Hamlet.
(c) Protect Ophelia from Hamlet.
(d) Get the body from Hamlet.
4. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be crafty.
(b) They will be careful.
(c) They will be bloody.
(d) They will be fast.
5. How does Laertes die?
(a) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(d) Hamlet kills him with a poisoned sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
2. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
3. How does Gertrude die?
4. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
5. Who is "poor Yorick"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
2. When Claudius hears about Polonius's death, what is his first thought?
3. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
4. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
5. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
6. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
7. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
8. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
9. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
10. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)