|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Laertes die?
(a) Hamlet kills him with a poisoned sword.
(b) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(c) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(d) He kills himself.
2. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
(a) He has hidden the body.
(b) He has convinced his mother to help him.
(c) He has scared Ophelia away from him forever.
(d) He has established proof that he is crazy.
3. How does Gertrude die?
(a) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
(b) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(c) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(d) She kills herself by drowning.
4. How does Claudius die?
(a) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(b) Laertes kills him with a poisoned sword.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
5. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(c) Laertes and Ophelia.
(d) The ambassadors to Norway.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
2. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
3. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
4. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
5. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
2. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
3. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
4. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
5. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
6. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
7. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
8. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
9. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
10. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)