|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
(a) Poison the tip of the sword.
(b) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
(c) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
(d) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
2. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
(a) They want to kill him.
(b) They think he should lead the armies against Norway.
(c) They want to make him king.
(d) They think he is to blame for the last king's death
3. Some sailors arrive at Elsinore from a pirate ship in Act 4, Scene 6. Who do they deliver a letter to?
4. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
(a) Hamlet should be locked away forever.
(b) Hamlet should be exiled from Denmark.
(c) Hamlet should be put on trial for murder.
(d) Hamlet should be put to death.
5. How does Hamlet act after he has killed someone?
(a) He is relieved to have finally done something.
(b) He is sorry for his crime.
(c) He is frightened that someone will now try to kill him.
(d) He does not seem sorry for his crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
2. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
3. Claudius asks Hamlet a second time about where they can find his victim. Hamlet responds, "In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger find him not there, seek him i' the other place yourself." What other place is Hamlet suggesting Claudius visit?
4. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
5. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
Short Essay Questions
1. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
2. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
3. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
4. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
5. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
6. Whose burial does Hamlet witness in Act 5?
7. What plan do Laertes and Claudius come up with in Act 4, Scene 7 to kill Hamlet?
8. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
9. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
10. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)