|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
(a) King, father, royal Dane.
(b) Devil, demon, bane of Heaven.
(c) Fearsome creature.
(d) Angel and minister of grace.
2. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
(a) He is angry and asks Hamlet if he is making an accusation.
(b) He is upset and leaves before the play ends.
(c) He is uneasy and makes a joke about it.
(d) He is bored and does not seem to care.
3. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
(a) She has avoided him most of the time.
(b) She has continued to see him.
(c) She has spent even more time with him than she used to.
(d) She has avoided him entirely.
4. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(b) Avoid him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Argue with him.
5. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(b) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
(c) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
(d) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Elsinore in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
3. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. After the play, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and Claudius meet to discuss Hamlet. Polonius joins them. What does he tell Claudius?
5. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
2. When Hamlet meets Ophelia after the "To be or not to be" speech, he is polite or gentle with her at first. What happens to change his attitude? How does his attitude change? What does he say?
3. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
4. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
5. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
6. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
7. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
8. The first time Claudius appears on stage, he gives a speech describing the current state of affairs in Denmark. He identifies and explains three major events. What are those events?
9. After Polonius's death, what does Gertrude tell Claudius about Hamlet?
10. When Hamlet follows the ghost, what do his friends decide to do?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)