|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
(a) Not entirely -- Polonius sees some reason or logic within the craziness.
(b) Yes, Polonius says Hamlet is totally insane.
(c) No, Polonius does not think Hamlet is crazy at all.
(d) Yes, but Polonius thinks it is easily cured.
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
(a) In Hamlet's bedroom.
(b) On the platform.
(c) On a ship.
(d) In the throne room.
3. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Tell the world about the last king's death.
(b) Help him break the news to his mother.
(c) Keep his secret.
(d) Help him avenge the murder.
4. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's grandfather.
(b) Hamlet's father.
(c) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(d) A tortured spirit.
5. When Claudius reacts to the play, what does Hamlet say in response?
(a) "What, frighted with false fire!"
(b) "For if the king like not the comedy, Why then, belike, he likes it not, perdy. "
(c) "It would cost you a groaning to take off my edge. "
(d) "Get me a fellowship in a cry of players."
Short Answer Questions
1. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
2. Who is Claudius?
3. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
4. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
5. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the ghost tell Hamlet NOT to seek revenge on?
2. How does Hamlet act towards Ophelia during the play-within-a-play?
3. Why does Hamlet not kill Claudius when he finds Claudius alone in Act 3?
4. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
5. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
6. The first time Claudius appears on stage, he gives a speech describing the current state of affairs in Denmark. He identifies and explains three major events. What are those events?
7. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
8. During Hamlet's first conversation with the ghost, the ghost asks for revenge. Who does the ghost want revenge on and why?
9. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
10. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)