Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Help him avenge the murder.
(b) Keep his secret.
(c) Help him break the news to his mother.
(d) Tell the world about the last king's death.
2. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
3. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
(a) Find out if his son has a girlfriend.
(b) Find out if his son is getting enough to eat.
(c) Find out if his son is behaving appropriately.
(d) Find out how his son is doing in school.
5. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(c) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
2. Who is Ophelia in love with?
3. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
5. In Act 3, Scene 1, after they have had some time to talk to Hamlet, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern say about his behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
2. How does Hamlet suggest that Claudius and his servants might find Polonius's body?
3. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
4. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
5. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
6. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
7. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
8. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
10. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)