|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) Almost midnight.
(c) Lunch time.
(d) After midnight.
2. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(a) More sad than angry.
(b) More angry than sad.
3. After hearing about Hamlet's strange behavior, what does Polonius say about his own decisions?
(a) By telling the king that Hamlet is crazy, he may have gotten himself in trouble.
(b) By telling the queen that Hamlet is crazy, he may have upset her.
(c) By telling Ophelia to stay away, he may have saved her from worse treatment.
(d) By telling Ophelia to stay away, he may have made Hamlet worse.
4. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
(a) Drunken singing.
(b) Trumpets being blown and ordinance being fired.
(c) Men shouting and women screaming.
(d) A cock crowing.
5. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
(a) Convince Hamlet to go back to school.
(b) Watch Hamlet and make sure he does not hurt anyone.
(c) Convince Fortinbras not to attack Denmark.
(d) Cheer Hamlet up and find out what is wrong with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
2. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What does Polonius ask Reynaldo to give to his son?
4. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
5. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Hamlet act toward Claudius and Gertrude? When he is left alone, what does he say about his feelings toward them?
2. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
3. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
4. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
5. Who does the ghost tell Hamlet NOT to seek revenge on?
6. What is the point or theme of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
7. After talking to the ghost at the end of Act 1, what does Hamlet decide to do about his father's death?
8. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
9. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
10. Polonius sends Reynaldo to Laertes with very specific instructions. What does Polonius tell Reynaldo to do, and how does Polonius tell him to do it?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)