|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Help him avenge the murder.
(b) Help him break the news to his mother.
(c) Keep his secret.
(d) Tell the world about the last king's death.
2. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
(a) Confess his crime so the world will know about his guilt.
(b) Commit a sin so Hamlet can send his soul to hell.
(c) Stand trial for his crime so he can face public justice.
(d) Apologize to Hamlet for killing his father.
3. Where is Elsinore in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
(a) He was stabbed.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He was stung by a serpent.
(d) He died in his sleep.
5. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Send for a priest.
(b) Go with the ghost.
(c) Tell the king about the ghost.
(d) Do not go with the ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
2. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
3. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
4. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
5. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Hamlet act toward Claudius and Gertrude? When he is left alone, what does he say about his feelings toward them?
3. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
4. Before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him a lot of advice. What does Polonius say is the most important piece of advice he can give?
5. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
6. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
7. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
8. What is the setting (time and place) of Act 1, Scene 4?
9. How does Claudius react to the play-within-a-play?
10. When Hamlet follows the ghost, what do his friends decide to do?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)