|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
(a) He is too frightened.
(b) He is too angry.
(c) He is too sad.
(d) He is too happy.
2. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
(b) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(c) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
(d) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He would not look at her and would not speak to her.
(b) He stared at her but did not speak.
(c) He yelled at her but would not look at her.
(d) He stared at her, then started to yell at her.
4. Who is Horatio?
(a) Hamlet's friend.
(b) Hamlet's brother.
(c) Ophelia's brother.
(d) The prince of Denmark.
5. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Shouting and starting a fight.
(c) Drinking and celebrating.
(d) Reading and signing documents.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
2. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
3. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
4. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
5. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
2. After talking to the ghost at the end of Act 1, what does Hamlet decide to do about his father's death?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
4. How does Hamlet act towards Ophelia during the play-within-a-play?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
6. When Hamlet rants about love and marriage to Ophelia, he is talking about more than just his own relationship with her. What else is Hamlet talking about?
7. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
8. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
9. How does Claudius react to the play-within-a-play?
10. When Hamlet follows the ghost, what do his friends decide to do?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)