|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern tell Claudius that Hamlet is excited about in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Seeing Ophelia again.
(b) Fencing with Laertes.
(c) Seeing the players perform.
(d) Committing suicide.
2. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
(a) He says both that he loved and he did not love her.
(b) He says he never loved her.
(c) He says he is still in love with her.
(d) He says he does not know if he ever loved her.
3. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) Shouting and starting a fight.
(c) Reading and signing documents.
(d) Drinking and celebrating.
4. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
(a) Devil, demon, bane of Heaven.
(b) Fearsome creature.
(c) Angel and minister of grace.
(d) King, father, royal Dane.
5. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
(a) Yes, Polonius says Hamlet is totally insane.
(b) Not entirely -- Polonius sees some reason or logic within the craziness.
(c) Yes, but Polonius thinks it is easily cured.
(d) No, Polonius does not think Hamlet is crazy at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
2. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
3. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
4. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
5. At the end of Act 2, Scene 2, what does Hamlet reveal about his reasons for wanting the players to perform?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once alone after the play-within-a-play, Claudius bemoans his crimes and falls to his knees in prayer. But at the end of the scene, what does he say about his praying?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Hamlet act toward Claudius and Gertrude? When he is left alone, what does he say about his feelings toward them?
3. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
4. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
5. Before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him a lot of advice. What does Polonius say is the most important piece of advice he can give?
6. What is the setting (time and place) at the beginning of the day?
7. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
8. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he will do next?
9. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
10. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)