|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
(b) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(c) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(d) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
2. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
(a) The king's advisor, Polonius.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The prince, Hamlet.
(d) The king who just died.
3. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
4. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
(a) Hamlet is mad with love for Ophelia.
(b) Hamlet has studied too hard at school.
(c) Hamlet is taking his father's death too hard.
(d) Hamlet has always been a strange boy and his father's death has driven him insane.
5. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern tell Claudius that Hamlet is excited about in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Seeing the players perform.
(b) Seeing Ophelia again.
(c) Committing suicide.
(d) Fencing with Laertes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, why is Ophelia frightened?
3. After the play is performed, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern ask Hamlet to do?
4. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
5. What does Polonius ask Reynaldo to give to his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
2. What is the setting (time and place) at the beginning of the day?
3. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
4. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
5. What is the setting (time and place) of Act 1, Scene 4?
6. Why does Hamlet not kill Claudius when he finds Claudius alone in Act 3?
7. Who does the ghost tell Hamlet NOT to seek revenge on?
8. How does Hamlet act towards Ophelia during the play-within-a-play?
9. When Hamlet meets Ophelia after the "To be or not to be" speech, he is polite or gentle with her at first. What happens to change his attitude? How does his attitude change? What does he say?
10. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)