|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
(a) He looked like he came out of Hell.
(b) He looked like he was ready to cry.
(c) He looked like he wanted to kiss her.
(d) He looked like he had seen a ghost.
2. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
(a) He is too frightened.
(b) He is too happy.
(c) He is too sad.
(d) He is too angry.
3. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people rarely have any friends.
(b) Keep your good friends close to you.
(c) Do not worry about making friends.
(d) Good people always have lots of friends.
4. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
(a) Talk to Hamlet himself.
(b) Tell the queen.
(c) Tell the king.
(d) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
5. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
(a) Talk to the local police department.
(b) Lie about him if that helps bring out the truth.
(c) Ask his son directly.
(d) Ask his son's friends and teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing about Hamlet's strange behavior, what does Polonius say about his own decisions?
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
3. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
4. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
5. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Hamlet act toward Claudius and Gertrude? When he is left alone, what does he say about his feelings toward them?
3. The first time Claudius appears on stage, he gives a speech describing the current state of affairs in Denmark. He identifies and explains three major events. What are those events?
4. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he will do next?
5. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
6. During Hamlet's first conversation with the ghost, the ghost asks for revenge. Who does the ghost want revenge on and why?
7. How does Hamlet act towards Ophelia during the play-within-a-play?
8. Hamlet says "O, that this too too solid flesh would melt...." This soliloquy in Act 1, Scene 2, is the first introduction of a theme that Hamlet will talk about repeatedly in the play. What does he talk about doing or wanting to do in this soliloquy?
9. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
10. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and why do they go to Elsinore?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)