|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
(a) Hamlet says he wants to learn to play the recorder.
(b) Hamlet says they want to play him like a recorder and get information out of him.
(c) Hamlet asks them to teach him how to play the recorder.
(d) Hamlet wants them to make the musicians stop playing the recorder.
2. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
(a) Tell Prince Hamlet about the ghost.
(b) Talk to a priest.
(c) Talk to the king.
(d) Watch for the ghost on the next night.
3. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Take him to England right away.
(c) Take him to England next summer.
(d) Take him to a doctor.
4. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
(b) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
(c) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(d) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
5. After the play is performed, what does Polonius ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Go see Ophelia.
(b) Go see Claudius.
(c) Go see the Queen.
(d) Ask the players to leave Elsinore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
2. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
5. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
2. Hamlet says "O, that this too too solid flesh would melt...." This soliloquy in Act 1, Scene 2, is the first introduction of a theme that Hamlet will talk about repeatedly in the play. What does he talk about doing or wanting to do in this soliloquy?
3. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
4. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
5. What is the point or theme of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
6. In Act 4, Scene 5, Claudius is almost overthrown by a violent mob. Who does the mob want to be king in his place?
7. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
8. What is the setting (time and place) of Act 1, Scene 4?
9. Polonius sends Reynaldo to Laertes with very specific instructions. What does Polonius tell Reynaldo to do, and how does Polonius tell him to do it?
10. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)