|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
(a) Only if he is afraid of it.
(b) Not if he carries garlic and a crucifix.
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
(a) Hamlet argues with him.
(b) Hamlet does not seem to recognize him.
(c) Hamlet is glad to see him.
(d) Hamlet ignores him.
3. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(b) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(c) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(d) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
4. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She forgot his father too quickly.
(b) She is grieving too much for his father.
(c) She has too much power over the country.
(d) She is responsible for his father's death.
5. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
(a) Make sure he does not hurt you.
(b) Do not go to bed with him.
(c) Ask him to marry you.
(d) Do not trust his promises of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
2. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
4. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first time Claudius appears on stage, he gives a speech describing the current state of affairs in Denmark. He identifies and explains three major events. What are those events?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
3. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
4. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and why do they go to Elsinore?
5. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
6. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
7. Early in the play, Laertes gives Ophelia advice about her love life. What does she say in response?
8. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
9. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
10. When Hamlet meets Ophelia after the "To be or not to be" speech, he is polite or gentle with her at first. What happens to change his attitude? How does his attitude change? What does he say?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)