|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Send him to a doctor.
(b) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
(c) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(d) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(b) Hire an exorcist.
(c) Get revenge.
(d) Help the new king.
3. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Daughter of Gertrude, sister of Hamlet.
(b) Daughter of Hamlet, sister of Horatio.
(c) Daughter of Claudius, cousin of Hamlet.
(d) Daughter of Polonius, sister of Laertes.
4. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Help him break the news to his mother.
(b) Tell the world about the last king's death.
(c) Help him avenge the murder.
(d) Keep his secret.
5. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He wants it to leave him alone.
(b) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(c) He does not believe it exists.
(d) He wants to talk to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
2. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
3. Who is Claudius?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first time Claudius appears on stage, he gives a speech describing the current state of affairs in Denmark. He identifies and explains three major events. What are those events?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's appearance?
3. Hamlet says "O, that this too too solid flesh would melt...." This soliloquy in Act 1, Scene 2, is the first introduction of a theme that Hamlet will talk about repeatedly in the play. What does he talk about doing or wanting to do in this soliloquy?
4. After talking to the ghost at the end of Act 1, what does Hamlet decide to do about his father's death?
5. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
6. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
7. Once alone after the play-within-a-play, Claudius bemoans his crimes and falls to his knees in prayer. But at the end of the scene, what does he say about his praying?
8. After the play-within-a-play, Claudius meets with Hamlet's old friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern loyal to? How can you tell?
9. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Hamlet act toward Claudius and Gertrude? When he is left alone, what does he say about his feelings toward them?
10. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)