|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Gertrude and Ophelia.
(b) Polonius and Ophelia.
(c) Claudius and Hamlet.
(d) Gertrude and Hamlet.
2. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Almost midnight.
(b) After midnight.
(c) Lunch time.
3. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
(a) King, father, royal Dane.
(b) Fearsome creature.
(c) Angel and minister of grace.
(d) Devil, demon, bane of Heaven.
4. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Hamlet's old friends.
(b) Gertrude's nephews.
(c) Servants of the court.
(d) The ambassadors to Norway.
5. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
(a) Killing his brother.
(b) Hamlet going crazy.
(c) Marrying Gertrude.
(d) Having Hamlet killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
2. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
3. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
4. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hamlet not kill Claudius when he finds Claudius alone in Act 3?
2. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and why do they go to Elsinore?
3. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
4. What is the point or theme of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
5. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
6. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
7. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
8. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's appearance?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)