|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
(a) He says he does not know if he ever loved her.
(b) He says both that he loved and he did not love her.
(c) He says he never loved her.
(d) He says he is still in love with her.
2. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(b) Send him to a doctor.
(c) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
(d) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
3. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When the sun comes up.
(b) When the cock crows.
(c) When Horatio talks to it.
(d) When the trumpets sound.
4. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
5. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Take him to England right away.
(b) Take him to England next summer.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Take him to a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
3. What is the main idea of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
4. Who is Horatio?
5. Ophelia comes to watch the play. Before the play begins, how does Hamlet act towards her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
2. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
3. Hamlet says "O, that this too too solid flesh would melt...." This soliloquy in Act 1, Scene 2, is the first introduction of a theme that Hamlet will talk about repeatedly in the play. What does he talk about doing or wanting to do in this soliloquy?
4. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
5. Early in the play, Laertes gives Ophelia advice about her love life. What does she say in response?
6. When Hamlet rants about love and marriage to Ophelia, he is talking about more than just his own relationship with her. What else is Hamlet talking about?
7. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
8. When Hamlet meets Ophelia after the "To be or not to be" speech, he is polite or gentle with her at first. What happens to change his attitude? How does his attitude change? What does he say?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
10. After talking to the ghost at the end of Act 1, what does Hamlet decide to do about his father's death?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)