|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
(a) Do not go to bed with him.
(b) Ask him to marry you.
(c) Do not trust his promises of love.
(d) Make sure he does not hurt you.
2. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His mother hated his father.
(b) His mother was devoted to his father.
(c) His father hated his mother.
(d) His parents barely spoke to each other.
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
(a) Hamlet ignores him.
(b) Hamlet argues with him.
(c) Hamlet does not seem to recognize him.
(d) Hamlet is glad to see him.
4. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Keep his secret.
(b) Tell the world about the last king's death.
(c) Help him break the news to his mother.
(d) Help him avenge the murder.
5. Polonius asks Claudius to arrange for Hamlet to go somewhere after the play's performance. Where is Hamlet supposed to go?
(a) To see Ophelia.
(b) To see his mother.
(c) To see Claudius.
(d) To see a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, after they have had some time to talk to Hamlet, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern say about his behavior?
2. What time of day is it when the play starts?
3. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
5. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once alone after the play-within-a-play, Claudius bemoans his crimes and falls to his knees in prayer. But at the end of the scene, what does he say about his praying?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
3. What is the point or theme of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
4. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he will do next?
5. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
6. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
7. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and why do they go to Elsinore?
8. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's appearance?
10. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)