|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamlet react when he sees the ghost for the first time?
(a) He is frightened and runs away.
(b) He is startled, but tries to talk to it.
(c) He is angry and tries to attack it.
(d) He is upset and starts to cry.
2. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
(a) Tell the queen.
(b) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(c) Tell the king.
(d) Talk to Hamlet himself.
3. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
(d) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
4. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
(a) He loves him.
(b) He is afraid of him.
(c) He misses him.
(d) He does not trust him.
5. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
(a) On the platform.
(b) In Hamlet's bedroom.
(c) On a ship.
(d) In the throne room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
2. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
3. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
4. What is the main idea of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
5. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
2. After Laertes leaves in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius and Ophelia have a private talk. What specific instruction or order does Polonius give Ophelia?
3. Once alone after the play-within-a-play, Claudius bemoans his crimes and falls to his knees in prayer. But at the end of the scene, what does he say about his praying?
4. Why does Claudius claim he cannot seek forgiveness for his crimes?
5. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
6. Who does the ghost tell Hamlet NOT to seek revenge on?
7. When Hamlet follows the ghost, what do his friends decide to do?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's appearance?
9. After the play-within-a-play, Claudius meets with Hamlet's old friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern loyal to? How can you tell?
10. After his first speech in the play, Claudius shifts from talking about the country to talking specifically about Hamlet. What does he say about Hamlet's grief? What does Gertrude say?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)