|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Hire an exorcist.
(b) Help the new king.
(c) Get revenge.
(d) Have a priest pray for its soul.
2. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
(a) Devil, demon, bane of Heaven.
(b) Angel and minister of grace.
(c) Fearsome creature.
(d) King, father, royal Dane.
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
(a) Hamlet argues with him.
(b) Hamlet ignores him.
(c) Hamlet does not seem to recognize him.
(d) Hamlet is glad to see him.
4. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Lunch time.
(b) Almost midnight.
(c) After midnight.
5. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
2. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
3. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
4. Who is Ophelia in love with?
5. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
2. Who is the first person in Elsinore to find out that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark instead of going to England? How does that person find out?
3. Hamlet finally confronts his mother in Act 3, Scene 4, speaking harshly to her as he tries to force her to realize her own complicity in the crime. What happens to change his tone?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's appearance?
5. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
6. Claudius tells Laertes that Hamlet is responsible for Polonius's death. Claudius says that there are two reasons why he cannot have Hamlet publicly arrested and punished. What are those two reasons?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, how does Hamlet act toward Claudius and Gertrude? When he is left alone, what does he say about his feelings toward them?
8. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
9. As Hamlet travels to the boat for England, what or who does Hamlet find on a plain in Denmark?
10. Hamlet calls Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "a sponge." Why does he say that?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)