|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
(a) Only if he is afraid of it.
(b) Not if he carries garlic and a crucifix.
2. When Claudius reacts to the play, what does Hamlet say in response?
(a) "What, frighted with false fire!"
(b) "For if the king like not the comedy, Why then, belike, he likes it not, perdy. "
(c) "Get me a fellowship in a cry of players."
(d) "It would cost you a groaning to take off my edge. "
3. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
(a) They are fighting in a battle.
(b) They are on watch.
(c) They are eating a meal together.
(d) They are getting ready to go to sleep.
4. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They came to visit him.
(b) They were sent for by the king.
(c) They came to see his father's funeral.
(d) They were sent for by Polonius.
5. What country did the late King go to battle against?
Short Answer Questions
1. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
2. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
3. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
4. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What time of day is it when the play starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him a lot of advice. What does Polonius say is the most important piece of advice he can give?
2. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
3. When Hamlet meets Ophelia after the "To be or not to be" speech, he is polite or gentle with her at first. What happens to change his attitude? How does his attitude change? What does he say?
4. How does Claudius react to the play-within-a-play?
5. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he will do next?
6. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
7. Why does Hamlet not kill Claudius when he finds Claudius alone in Act 3?
8. What is the setting (time and place) of Act 1, Scene 4?
9. How does Hamlet act towards Ophelia during the play-within-a-play?
10. Once alone after the play-within-a-play, Claudius bemoans his crimes and falls to his knees in prayer. But at the end of the scene, what does he say about his praying?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)