|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Horatio say the ghost might do to Hamlet?
(a) Bless him.
(b) Curse him.
(c) Drive him crazy.
(d) Kill him.
2. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They came to see his father's funeral.
(b) They were sent for by the king.
(c) They were sent for by Polonius.
(d) They came to visit him.
3. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
(a) Stand trial for his crime so he can face public justice.
(b) Commit a sin so Hamlet can send his soul to hell.
(c) Confess his crime so the world will know about his guilt.
(d) Apologize to Hamlet for killing his father.
4. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
(a) He is afraid of him.
(b) He misses him.
(c) He loves him.
(d) He does not trust him.
5. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(b) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(c) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(d) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
2. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
3. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
4. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
5. Polonius asks Claudius to arrange for Hamlet to go somewhere after the play's performance. Where is Hamlet supposed to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the play, we learn of the death of two minor characters. Who are they, and how do we learn of their death?
2. When Hamlet follows the ghost, what do his friends decide to do?
3. What is the setting (time and place) at the beginning of the day?
4. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
5. After Polonius's death, Ophelia comes to see Gertrude. What do we learn about Ophelia in that scene?
6. Early in the play, Laertes gives Ophelia advice about her love life. What does she say in response?
7. Who is Yorick, and why does he come up in Act 5?
8. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
9. Why does Hamlet not kill Claudius when he finds Claudius alone in Act 3?
10. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and why do they go to Elsinore?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)