|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(b) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(c) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(d) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
2. Who is Horatio?
(a) Ophelia's brother.
(b) Hamlet's brother.
(c) The prince of Denmark.
(d) Hamlet's friend.
3. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
4. When Claudius reacts to the play, what does Hamlet say in response?
(a) "What, frighted with false fire!"
(b) "It would cost you a groaning to take off my edge. "
(c) "For if the king like not the comedy, Why then, belike, he likes it not, perdy. "
(d) "Get me a fellowship in a cry of players."
5. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(b) More angry than sad.
(c) More sad than angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
2. Where is Elsinore in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
5. What time of day is it when the play starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
2. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
3. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
4. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
5. What is the setting (time and place) at the beginning of the day?
6. During Hamlet's first conversation with the ghost, the ghost asks for revenge. Who does the ghost want revenge on and why?
7. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
8. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
9. Early in the play, Laertes gives Ophelia advice about her love life. What does she say in response?
10. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)