|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Horatio say the ghost might do to Hamlet?
(a) Curse him.
(b) Drive him crazy.
(c) Bless him.
(d) Kill him.
2. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) He tells them that he wants to marry Ophelia.
(b) He is not crazy -- at least, not all the time.
(c) He tells them about the ghost and his suspicions of Claudius.
(d) He feels like he really is going crazy.
3. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
(a) Talk to Hamlet himself.
(b) Tell the king.
(c) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(d) Tell the queen.
4. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She is grieving too much for his father.
(b) She has too much power over the country.
(c) She is responsible for his father's death.
(d) She forgot his father too quickly.
5. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Lunch time.
(b) Almost midnight.
(c) After midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
2. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
4. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
5. Who does the ghost claim to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
2. Polonius sends Reynaldo to Laertes with very specific instructions. What does Polonius tell Reynaldo to do, and how does Polonius tell him to do it?
3. When Hamlet follows the ghost, what do his friends decide to do?
4. Early in the play, Laertes gives Ophelia advice about her love life. What does she say in response?
5. When Hamlet meets Ophelia after the "To be or not to be" speech, he is polite or gentle with her at first. What happens to change his attitude? How does his attitude change? What does he say?
6. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he will do next?
7. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
9. How does Hamlet act towards Ophelia during the play-within-a-play?
10. Who does the ghost tell Hamlet NOT to seek revenge on?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)