|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Gertrude and Ophelia.
(b) Claudius and Hamlet.
(c) Polonius and Ophelia.
(d) Gertrude and Hamlet.
2. What does Polonius ask Reynaldo to give to his son?
(c) Written notes.
(d) Money and written notes.
3. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His mother hated his father.
(b) His father hated his mother.
(c) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(d) His mother was devoted to his father.
4. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He is suspicious that Hamlet is not really crazy.
(b) He is convinced Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(c) He is convinced that Hamlet needs to see a doctor.
(d) He does not think Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
5. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Take him to England right away.
(c) Take him to England next summer.
(d) Take him to a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern tell Claudius that Hamlet is excited about in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Who is Ophelia?
3. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
4. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
5. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
Short Essay Questions
1. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
2. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
3. What is the setting (time and place) at the beginning of the day?
4. After talking to the ghost at the end of Act 1, what does Hamlet decide to do about his father's death?
5. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
6. Before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him a lot of advice. What does Polonius say is the most important piece of advice he can give?
7. After the play-within-a-play, Claudius meets with Hamlet's old friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern loyal to? How can you tell?
8. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
9. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
10. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)