|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
(a) Polonius stole from the state treasury.
(b) Laertes seduced his wife.
(c) Claudius seduced his wife.
(d) Claudius stole from the state treasury.
2. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(b) His mother was devoted to his father.
(c) His mother hated his father.
(d) His father hated his mother.
3. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Send for a priest.
(b) Do not go with the ghost.
(c) Tell the king about the ghost.
(d) Go with the ghost.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Make friends with him.
(b) Spy on him.
(c) Stay away from him.
(d) Flirt with him.
5. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
(a) They are getting ready to go to sleep.
(b) They are on watch.
(c) They are eating a meal together.
(d) They are fighting in a battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
2. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
3. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
4. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
5. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
2. Once alone after the play-within-a-play, Claudius bemoans his crimes and falls to his knees in prayer. But at the end of the scene, what does he say about his praying?
3. Does the Ghost at the beginning of the play talk to the watchers?
4. What is the setting (time and place) at the beginning of the day?
5. After hearing Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Polonius decide is the cause of Hamlet's behavior and what does he decide to do about it?
6. After talking to the ghost at the end of Act 1, what does Hamlet decide to do about his father's death?
7. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's appearance?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
9. What is the setting (time and place) of Act 1, Scene 4?
10. Hamlet says "O, that this too too solid flesh would melt...." This soliloquy in Act 1, Scene 2, is the first introduction of a theme that Hamlet will talk about repeatedly in the play. What does he talk about doing or wanting to do in this soliloquy?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)