|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
(a) It is something he should stop doing now that he is King.
(b) It makes the Danes look bad to other countries.
(c) It should help him be a good leader.
(d) It is an old tradition that every king should follow.
2. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(b) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
(c) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
(d) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
3. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) A knife in the back.
(c) Poison poured in his ear.
(d) Poison poured down his throat.
4. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) A treaty between Norway and Poland.
(b) A love letter from Hamlet to Ophelia.
(c) A letter from Hamlet to Fortinbras.
(d) Hamlet's plan to kill Claudius.
5. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
(a) He says he does not know if he ever loved her.
(b) He says he is still in love with her.
(c) He says both that he loved and he did not love her.
(d) He says he never loved her.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the play is performed, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern ask Hamlet to do?
2. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
3. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
4. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
5. Polonius asks Claudius to arrange for Hamlet to go somewhere after the play's performance. Where is Hamlet supposed to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claudius react to the play-within-a-play?
2. Early in the play, Laertes gives Ophelia advice about her love life. What does she say in response?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, Polonius talks to Hamlet. After that conversation, does Polonius think Hamlet is crazy?
4. At the end of Act 1, Scene 5, what does Hamlet tell his friends about his future behavior?
5. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
6. Hamlet says "O, that this too too solid flesh would melt...." This soliloquy in Act 1, Scene 2, is the first introduction of a theme that Hamlet will talk about repeatedly in the play. What does he talk about doing or wanting to do in this soliloquy?
7. After the play-within-a-play, where is Hamlet asked to go? Who asks him to go there?
8. During Hamlet's first conversation with the ghost, the ghost asks for revenge. Who does the ghost want revenge on and why?
9. When Hamlet rants about love and marriage to Ophelia, he is talking about more than just his own relationship with her. What else is Hamlet talking about?
10. What is the point or theme of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)