|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(b) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(c) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(d) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
2. What is the main idea of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
(a) Hamlet is thinking about killing Claudius.
(b) Hamlet is thinking about proposing to Ophelia.
(c) Hamlet is thinking about killing Ophelia.
(d) Hamlet is thinking about killing himself.
3. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
(a) Angel and minister of grace.
(b) Fearsome creature.
(c) Devil, demon, bane of Heaven.
(d) King, father, royal Dane.
4. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(b) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(c) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(d) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
5. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Daughter of Polonius, sister of Laertes.
(b) Daughter of Gertrude, sister of Hamlet.
(c) Daughter of Claudius, cousin of Hamlet.
(d) Daughter of Hamlet, sister of Horatio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
2. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
3. Who is Horatio?
4. After hearing about Hamlet's strange behavior, what does Polonius say about his own decisions?
5. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting (time and place) of Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play-within-a-play?
3. How does Hamlet act towards Ophelia during the play-within-a-play?
4. Who does the ghost tell Hamlet NOT to seek revenge on?
5. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and why do they go to Elsinore?
6. After the play-within-a-play, Claudius meets with Hamlet's old friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern loyal to? How can you tell?
7. Laertes and Polonius are both concerned about Ophelia's romance. In Act 1, Scene 3, what do they tell her?
8. The first time Claudius appears on stage, he gives a speech describing the current state of affairs in Denmark. He identifies and explains three major events. What are those events?
9. What is the point or theme of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
10. What does Claudius learn about Norway when the Ambassadors he sent at the beginning of the play return?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)