|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet makes an ominous statement about married people: "those that are married already, all but one, shall live." What does that mean and who is he talking about?
(a) Everyone who plans to be married soon should be killed, except one person: Ophelia.
(b) Everyone who is currently married will be killed, except one person: Gertrude.
(c) Everyone who is currently married will stay alive, except one person: Polonius.
(d) Everyone who is currently married will stay alive, except one person: Claudius.
2. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
(a) Tries to leave the room.
(b) Gives back the letters and gifts Hamlet gave her.
(c) Mentions her father.
(d) Kisses Hamlet.
3. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Do not go with the ghost.
(b) Tell the king about the ghost.
(c) Send for a priest.
(d) Go with the ghost.
4. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
(a) Help Hamlet kill Claudius as the play is performed.
(b) Watch Claudius and see if he reacts to the play.
(c) Watch Gertrude and see if she reacts to the play.
(d) Watch Polonius and see if he reacts to the play.
5. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(b) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(c) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(d) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
2. In Act 3, Scene 1, after they have had some time to talk to Hamlet, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern say about his behavior?
3. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
4. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
5. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
Short Essay Questions
1. After talking to the ghost at the end of Act 1, what does Hamlet decide to do about his father's death?
2. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
3. Why does Hamlet not kill Claudius when he finds Claudius alone in Act 3?
4. As they watch for the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, Hamlet and his companions hear a noise offstage. What noise do they hear and how does Hamlet explain it?
5. Before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him a lot of advice. What does Polonius say is the most important piece of advice he can give?
6. What is the point or theme of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
7. In Act 2, Scene 2, what play does Hamlet ask the players to perform and why?
8. When Hamlet rants about love and marriage to Ophelia, he is talking about more than just his own relationship with her. What else is Hamlet talking about?
9. Early in the play, Laertes gives Ophelia advice about her love life. What does she say in response?
10. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and why do they go to Elsinore?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)