|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, why is Ophelia frightened?
(a) She saw the ghost talking to Hamlet.
(b) She had an unpleasant encounter with Hamlet.
(c) She saw a fight between Claudius and Hamlet.
(d) She saw Hamlet slap Gertrude in the face.
2. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
(b) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(c) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
(d) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
(a) To live in another country.
(b) To go to a new school.
(c) Back to college.
(d) Off to war.
4. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
5. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
Short Answer Questions
1. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
2. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
3. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
4. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
5. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hamlet hears about Fortinbras and his attacks on Poland, what does he say about Fortinbras and about himself?
2. In Act 3, Claudius becomes convinced that Hamlet is insane. What does he decide to do with Hamlet?
3. After talking to the ghost at the end of Act 1, what does Hamlet decide to do about his father's death?
4. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, he tries to talk to it. How does the ghost respond?
5. When Hamlet rants about love and marriage to Ophelia, he is talking about more than just his own relationship with her. What else is Hamlet talking about?
6. After Polonius's death, who is sent to find Hamlet?
7. Who does the Ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's appearance?
9. List the major characters who die during the last scene of the play.
10. How does Hamlet avoid going to England?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)