|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
(a) Wait a month and you will smell where it is.
(b) Wait a month till the ground thaws and the grave will be revealed.
(c) Climb the stairs and you will see the body in the lobby.
(d) The body is waiting on the lobby stairs.
2. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
3. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
(a) He refuses to speak.
(b) He threatens to kill more people.
(c) He answers with a riddle.
(d) He laughs.
4. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(b) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
(c) The king's jester, now dead.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
5. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
(a) Be stern with Hamlet about his behavior.
(b) Convince Hamlet to talk about Ophelia.
(c) Be kind to Hamlet and invite him to confide in her.
(d) Make sure Hamlet knows that Polonius is listening to their conversation.
6. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
(a) To the doctor.
(b) To the police.
(c) To the chapel.
(d) To the graveyard.
7. What does Ophelia say about violets?
(a) Violets stand for thoughts.
(b) Violets stand for remembrance.
(c) The violets died when her father died.
(d) Violets are her favorite flower.
8. What does Ophelia she say about the herb rosemary?
(a) Rosemary stands for thoughts.
(b) Rosemary stands for remembrance.
(c) The rosemary died when her father died.
(d) Rosemary is her favorite plant.
9. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
(a) He gets poisoned by accident.
(b) He wants to kill himself, but Hamlet asks him to live.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He wants to kill himself, but Fortinbras stops him.
10. What happens between Laertes and Hamlet in the graveyard scene?
(a) They shake hands over Ophelia's grave.
(b) Laertes tries to kill Hamlet.
(c) Laertes blames Hamlet for his sister's death.
(d) They both jump into Ophelia's grave and get in a fight.
11. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is determined to get revenge.
(b) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
(c) He is not crazy.
(d) He is crazy.
12. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
(b) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(c) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(d) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
13. As Gertrude lays flowers at Ophelia's grave, what does she say?
(a) She hoped Ophelia and Hamlet would marry.
(b) She is sorry Ophelia died so young.
(c) She believes Ophelia is now an angel.
(d) She is glad Ophelia will be with her father now.
14. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
(a) She should have been getting married, not buried.
(b) It is a shame that someone so young is dead.
(c) Her burial should get more ceremony and more attention than it is receiving.
(d) If she is a suicide, so she should not be buried in the churchyard.
15. How does Laertes die?
(a) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(d) Hamlet kills him with a poisoned sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
2. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
3. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
4. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
5. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)