|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamlet first sees Laertes in the graveyard scene, what does Hamlet say about him?
(a) He is a noble youth.
(b) He is just like his father and not to be trusted.
(c) He is always mean to his sister.
(d) He is an arrogant, bossy man.
2. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
(a) That the person who died was very old.
(b) That the person who died was poor.
(c) That the person died by suicide.
(d) That the person died from the plague.
3. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
4. At the end of the play, a messenger arrives from England with news. What is the news?
(a) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have been executed.
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have arrived safely.
(c) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are on their way back to Denmark.
(d) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have sent help to Denmark.
5. Some sailors arrive at Elsinore from a pirate ship in Act 4, Scene 6. Who do they deliver a letter to?
6. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
7. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
(a) Be kind to Hamlet and invite him to confide in her.
(b) Be stern with Hamlet about his behavior.
(c) Convince Hamlet to talk about Ophelia.
(d) Make sure Hamlet knows that Polonius is listening to their conversation.
8. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
9. How does Laertes die?
(a) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(d) Hamlet kills him with a poisoned sword.
10. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
11. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
(a) Whether a doctor can help Hamlet get better.
(b) Whether Hamlet will try to kill.
(c) Whether Hamlet should stand trial.
(d) Whether the murder will affect his power and ability to rule.
12. After reading the letters brought by the sailors in Act 4, Scene 6, what does Horatio say he wants to do?
(a) Go get Hamlet.
(b) Tell Claudius about Hamlet.
(c) Wait until Hamlet arrives in Elsinore.
(d) Tell Gertrude about Hamlet.
13. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
(a) He has scared Ophelia away from him forever.
(b) He has convinced his mother to help him.
(c) He has hidden the body.
(d) He has established proof that he is crazy.
14. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
(b) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(c) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(d) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
15. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
(a) He thinks Laertes is responsible for Ophelia's death.
(b) He is worried Ophelia's death will enrage Laertes.
(c) He is afraid Laertes may kill himself because of Ophelia's death.
(d) He knew about Ophelia's death, but did not want to tell Laertes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
2. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
3. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
4. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
5. How does Hamlet act after he has killed someone?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)