|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
(a) Hamlet is a brave man.
(b) Hamlet needs to be sent to jail.
(c) Hamlet needs to be executed.
(d) Hamlet might have killed him.
2. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
(a) Gertrude is talking about the dead king, but Hamlet is talking about Claudius.
(b) Gertrude is using the dead king to force Hamlet to behave himself.
(c) Hamlet has decided to act crazy even with his mother.
(d) Getrude is talking about Claudius, but Hamlet is talking about the dead king.
3. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She goes crazy.
(b) She gets sick.
(c) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(d) She wants to kill Hamlet.
4. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
(a) Because Gertrude loves him and Ophelia might kill herself if he is killed.
(b) Because Gertrude loves him and the common people love him.
(c) Because the common people love him and Fortinbras might attack if he is killed.
(d) Because Hamlet is heir to the throne and Gertrude loves him.
5. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be crafty.
(b) They will be fast.
(c) They will be careful.
(d) They will be bloody.
6. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
(a) He knew about Ophelia's death, but did not want to tell Laertes.
(b) He is worried Ophelia's death will enrage Laertes.
(c) He is afraid Laertes may kill himself because of Ophelia's death.
(d) He thinks Laertes is responsible for Ophelia's death.
7. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
(b) The king's jester, now dead.
(c) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
(d) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
8. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
(a) The victim is eating supper in Hell.
(b) The worms are eating the victim for supper.
(c) The victim is eating supper in Heaven.
(d) The victim is not really dead and is eating supper in the castle.
9. After reading the letters brought by the sailors in Act 4, Scene 6, what does Horatio say he wants to do?
(a) Wait until Hamlet arrives in Elsinore.
(b) Tell Gertrude about Hamlet.
(c) Tell Claudius about Hamlet.
(d) Go get Hamlet.
10. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
(a) That the person died from the plague.
(b) That the person died by suicide.
(c) That the person who died was poor.
(d) That the person who died was very old.
11. How does Hamlet manage to avoid his fate in England?
(a) He bribed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(b) He killed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(c) He got onto another ship.
(d) He made friends with the English queen.
12. What does Ophelia she say about the herb rosemary?
(a) Rosemary is her favorite plant.
(b) Rosemary stands for remembrance.
(c) The rosemary died when her father died.
(d) Rosemary stands for thoughts.
13. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
(a) Find Hamlet so the guards can arrest him.
(b) Protect Getrude from Hamlet.
(c) Get the body from Hamlet.
(d) Protect Ophelia from Hamlet.
14. How does Claudius die?
(a) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(d) Laertes kills him with a poisoned sword.
15. As Laertes and Claudius discuss how to kill Hamlet, what news does Gertrude bring?
(a) Ophelia has died by taking poison.
(b) Ophelia has died by drowning.
(c) Ophelia has died by hanging herself.
(d) Ophelia has died by stabbing herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Laertes and Hamlet in the graveyard scene?
2. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
3. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
4. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
5. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)