|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
(a) This letter is meant for the king. You should not read it.
(b) Help the sailors get in to see the dead king's body.
(c) Help the sailors get in to see Claudius.
(d) Give the sailors a tip for delivering the letters.
2. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
(a) No one.
3. Claudius suggests a duel between Laertes and Hamlet, but that type of duel usually is not deadly. What does Claudius suggest they do to injure Hamlet?
(a) Bribe the referee.
(b) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
(c) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
(d) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
4. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
(a) Revenge on the people responsible for his father's death.
(b) To take over the throne of Denmark.
(c) To visit with his sister.
(d) To talk to Hamlet.
5. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
(b) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
(c) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
(d) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
6. How does Gertrude die?
(a) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
(b) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(c) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(d) She kills herself by drowning.
7. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
(a) Because Gertrude loves him and Ophelia might kill herself if he is killed.
(b) Because the common people love him and Fortinbras might attack if he is killed.
(c) Because Hamlet is heir to the throne and Gertrude loves him.
(d) Because Gertrude loves him and the common people love him.
8. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
(a) To be locked in his room.
(b) Off to prison.
(d) Back to school.
9. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
(a) Laertes and Ophelia.
(c) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(d) The ambassadors to Norway.
10. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
(a) Her burial should get more ceremony and more attention than it is receiving.
(b) It is a shame that someone so young is dead.
(c) If she is a suicide, so she should not be buried in the churchyard.
(d) She should have been getting married, not buried.
11. How does Claudius die?
(a) Laertes kills him with a poisoned sword.
(b) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
12. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(b) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
(c) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(d) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
13. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
(a) They think he is to blame for the last king's death
(b) They think he should lead the armies against Norway.
(c) They want to make him king.
(d) They want to kill him.
14. Claudius asks Hamlet a second time about where they can find his victim. Hamlet responds, "In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger find him not there, seek him i' the other place yourself." What other place is Hamlet suggesting Claudius visit?
(a) The chapel.
(b) Gertrude's bedroom.
(c) The graveyard.
15. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(b) She goes crazy.
(c) She wants to kill Hamlet.
(d) She gets sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
2. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
3. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
4. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
5. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)