|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
(b) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
(c) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
(d) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
2. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
(c) No one.
3. How does Gertrude die?
(a) She kills herself by drowning.
(b) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(c) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
(d) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
4. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be careful.
(b) They will be fast.
(c) They will be bloody.
(d) They will be crafty.
5. After he leaves the ship, how will Hamlet make his way back to Elsinore?
(a) Horatio must come get him.
(b) Claudius must pay a ransom.
(c) Ophelia must come get him.
(d) Hamlet must escape from the pirates.
6. What happens between Laertes and Hamlet in the graveyard scene?
(a) They both jump into Ophelia's grave and get in a fight.
(b) They shake hands over Ophelia's grave.
(c) Laertes blames Hamlet for his sister's death.
(d) Laertes tries to kill Hamlet.
7. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(b) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(c) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
(d) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
8. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
(b) To be locked in his room.
(c) Back to school.
(d) Off to prison.
9. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
10. How does Claudius die?
(a) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(b) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) Laertes kills him with a poisoned sword.
11. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
12. After reading the letters brought by the sailors in Act 4, Scene 6, what does Horatio say he wants to do?
(a) Tell Claudius about Hamlet.
(b) Go get Hamlet.
(c) Tell Gertrude about Hamlet.
(d) Wait until Hamlet arrives in Elsinore.
13. How does Hamlet act after he has killed someone?
(a) He is sorry for his crime.
(b) He is relieved to have finally done something.
(c) He is frightened that someone will now try to kill him.
(d) He does not seem sorry for his crime.
14. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
(a) Convince Hamlet to talk about Ophelia.
(b) Make sure Hamlet knows that Polonius is listening to their conversation.
(c) Be stern with Hamlet about his behavior.
(d) Be kind to Hamlet and invite him to confide in her.
15. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
(a) Gertrude is using the dead king to force Hamlet to behave himself.
(b) Hamlet has decided to act crazy even with his mother.
(c) Getrude is talking about Claudius, but Hamlet is talking about the dead king.
(d) Gertrude is talking about the dead king, but Hamlet is talking about Claudius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ophelia she say about the herb rosemary?
2. As Laertes and Claudius discuss how to kill Hamlet, what news does Gertrude bring?
3. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
4. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
5. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)