|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
(b) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(c) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(d) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
2. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is not crazy.
(b) He is crazy.
(c) He is determined to get revenge.
(d) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
3. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
4. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
(a) They want to make him king.
(b) They want to kill him.
(c) They think he should lead the armies against Norway.
(d) They think he is to blame for the last king's death
5. At the end of Act 4, Scene 2, what does Hamlet agree to do?
(a) Go see the king.
(b) See a doctor.
(c) Go to England.
(d) Talk to Gertrude.
6. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
(a) Convince Hamlet to talk about Ophelia.
(b) Make sure Hamlet knows that Polonius is listening to their conversation.
(c) Be kind to Hamlet and invite him to confide in her.
(d) Be stern with Hamlet about his behavior.
7. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
(a) If she is a suicide, so she should not be buried in the churchyard.
(b) It is a shame that someone so young is dead.
(c) She should have been getting married, not buried.
(d) Her burial should get more ceremony and more attention than it is receiving.
8. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
(a) That the person who died was poor.
(b) That the person who died was very old.
(c) That the person died from the plague.
(d) That the person died by suicide.
9. Claudius asks Hamlet a second time about where they can find his victim. Hamlet responds, "In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger find him not there, seek him i' the other place yourself." What other place is Hamlet suggesting Claudius visit?
(a) The chapel.
(c) Gertrude's bedroom.
(d) The graveyard.
10. Claudius suggests a duel between Laertes and Hamlet, but that type of duel usually is not deadly. What does Claudius suggest they do to injure Hamlet?
(a) Bribe the referee.
(b) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
(c) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
(d) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
11. After reading the letters brought by the sailors in Act 4, Scene 6, what does Horatio say he wants to do?
(a) Tell Claudius about Hamlet.
(b) Tell Gertrude about Hamlet.
(c) Wait until Hamlet arrives in Elsinore.
(d) Go get Hamlet.
12. How does Claudius die?
(a) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(d) Laertes kills him with a poisoned sword.
13. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
14. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
(a) Gertrude will be upset if they are hard on him.
(b) The people of Denmark love him.
(c) He is still a prince.
(d) He is crazy, but not a bad person.
15. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
(a) Whether Hamlet will try to kill.
(b) Whether a doctor can help Hamlet get better.
(c) Whether Hamlet should stand trial.
(d) Whether the murder will affect his power and ability to rule.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
2. How does Gertrude die?
3. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
4. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
5. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)