|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is crazy.
(b) He is determined to get revenge.
(c) He is not crazy.
(d) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
2. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
(b) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
(c) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
(d) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
3. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
(b) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(c) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(d) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
4. Some sailors arrive at Elsinore from a pirate ship in Act 4, Scene 6. Who do they deliver a letter to?
5. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
(b) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
(c) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
(d) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
6. After he leaves the ship, how will Hamlet make his way back to Elsinore?
(a) Hamlet must escape from the pirates.
(b) Horatio must come get him.
(c) Ophelia must come get him.
(d) Claudius must pay a ransom.
7. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
(a) Forces her to face what she has done.
(b) Kills her.
(c) Kills Claudius.
(d) Tells her about the ghost.
8. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
(a) He gets poisoned by accident.
(b) He wants to kill himself, but Hamlet asks him to live.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He wants to kill himself, but Fortinbras stops him.
9. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
(a) He threatens to kill more people.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He answers with a riddle.
(d) He refuses to speak.
10. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
(a) To be locked in his room.
(b) Off to prison.
(d) Back to school.
11. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
(a) This letter is meant for the king. You should not read it.
(b) Help the sailors get in to see the dead king's body.
(c) Help the sailors get in to see Claudius.
(d) Give the sailors a tip for delivering the letters.
12. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(b) The king's jester, now dead.
(c) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
(d) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
13. As Laertes and Claudius discuss how to kill Hamlet, what news does Gertrude bring?
(a) Ophelia has died by stabbing herself.
(b) Ophelia has died by drowning.
(c) Ophelia has died by hanging herself.
(d) Ophelia has died by taking poison.
14. How does Claudius die?
(a) Laertes kills him with a poisoned sword.
(b) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
15. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
(a) The dead body of Polonius.
(b) A portrait of his dead father.
(c) The dead body of Claudius.
(d) A portrait of his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
2. How does Hamlet manage to avoid his fate in England?
3. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
4. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
5. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)