|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
(a) The worms are eating the victim for supper.
(b) The victim is eating supper in Hell.
(c) The victim is not really dead and is eating supper in the castle.
(d) The victim is eating supper in Heaven.
2. When Hamlet first sees Laertes in the graveyard scene, what does Hamlet say about him?
(a) He is always mean to his sister.
(b) He is a noble youth.
(c) He is an arrogant, bossy man.
(d) He is just like his father and not to be trusted.
3. After he leaves the ship, how will Hamlet make his way back to Elsinore?
(a) Ophelia must come get him.
(b) Horatio must come get him.
(c) Hamlet must escape from the pirates.
(d) Claudius must pay a ransom.
4. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
5. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
(b) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(c) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(d) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
6. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
(a) Hamlet is a brave man.
(b) Hamlet needs to be sent to jail.
(c) Hamlet needs to be executed.
(d) Hamlet might have killed him.
7. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
(a) Protect Ophelia from Hamlet.
(b) Protect Getrude from Hamlet.
(c) Find Hamlet so the guards can arrest him.
(d) Get the body from Hamlet.
8. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
9. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
(a) Because Gertrude loves him and Ophelia might kill herself if he is killed.
(b) Because Hamlet is heir to the throne and Gertrude loves him.
(c) Because the common people love him and Fortinbras might attack if he is killed.
(d) Because Gertrude loves him and the common people love him.
10. How does Laertes die?
(a) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(b) Hamlet kills him with a poisoned sword.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
11. How does Hamlet manage to avoid his fate in England?
(a) He made friends with the English queen.
(b) He bribed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(c) He got onto another ship.
(d) He killed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
12. As Gertrude lays flowers at Ophelia's grave, what does she say?
(a) She is glad Ophelia will be with her father now.
(b) She is sorry Ophelia died so young.
(c) She believes Ophelia is now an angel.
(d) She hoped Ophelia and Hamlet would marry.
13. When Hamlet visits his mother in her room in Act 3, Scene 4, he speaks very harshly to his mother. What makes him stop?
(a) Getrude kills herself.
(b) Claudius enters the room.
(c) The ghost appears.
(d) Ophelia enters the room.
14. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
(a) Whether the murder will affect his power and ability to rule.
(b) Whether Hamlet will try to kill.
(c) Whether a doctor can help Hamlet get better.
(d) Whether Hamlet should stand trial.
15. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
2. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
3. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
4. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
5. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)