|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
(a) Whether Hamlet will try to kill.
(b) Whether Hamlet should stand trial.
(c) Whether a doctor can help Hamlet get better.
(d) Whether the murder will affect his power and ability to rule.
2. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She goes crazy.
(b) She gets sick.
(c) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(d) She wants to kill Hamlet.
3. What happens between Laertes and Hamlet in the graveyard scene?
(a) They both jump into Ophelia's grave and get in a fight.
(b) Laertes tries to kill Hamlet.
(c) Laertes blames Hamlet for his sister's death.
(d) They shake hands over Ophelia's grave.
4. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
(a) Hamlet should be locked away forever.
(b) Hamlet should be put to death.
(c) Hamlet should be exiled from Denmark.
(d) Hamlet should be put on trial for murder.
5. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
(a) Protect Ophelia from Hamlet.
(b) Get the body from Hamlet.
(c) Find Hamlet so the guards can arrest him.
(d) Protect Getrude from Hamlet.
6. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be careful.
(b) They will be fast.
(c) They will be crafty.
(d) They will be bloody.
7. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
(a) Tells her about the ghost.
(b) Kills her.
(c) Kills Claudius.
(d) Forces her to face what she has done.
8. Some sailors arrive at Elsinore from a pirate ship in Act 4, Scene 6. Who do they deliver a letter to?
9. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
(a) He threatens to kill more people.
(b) He refuses to speak.
(c) He answers with a riddle.
(d) He laughs.
10. At the end of Act 4, Scene 5, what does Claudius offer to do for Laertes?
(a) Tell Laertes the truth about his father's death.
(b) Take care of Ophelia.
(c) Help Laertes kill Hamlet.
(d) Show Laertes where his father is buried.
11. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
(a) Give the sailors a tip for delivering the letters.
(b) This letter is meant for the king. You should not read it.
(c) Help the sailors get in to see the dead king's body.
(d) Help the sailors get in to see Claudius.
12. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
13. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
(a) A portrait of his mother.
(b) The dead body of Polonius.
(c) The dead body of Claudius.
(d) A portrait of his dead father.
14. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
(b) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
(c) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
(d) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
15. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
(b) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(c) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(d) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
2. How does Laertes die?
3. As Gertrude lays flowers at Ophelia's grave, what does she say?
4. How does Gertrude die?
5. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)