|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(b) The king's jester, now dead.
(c) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
2. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She goes crazy.
(b) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(c) She wants to kill Hamlet.
(d) She gets sick.
3. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
(a) Hamlet should be put to death.
(b) Hamlet should be put on trial for murder.
(c) Hamlet should be exiled from Denmark.
(d) Hamlet should be locked away forever.
4. As Gertrude lays flowers at Ophelia's grave, what does she say?
(a) She believes Ophelia is now an angel.
(b) She hoped Ophelia and Hamlet would marry.
(c) She is glad Ophelia will be with her father now.
(d) She is sorry Ophelia died so young.
5. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
6. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
(a) Be stern with Hamlet about his behavior.
(b) Convince Hamlet to talk about Ophelia.
(c) Be kind to Hamlet and invite him to confide in her.
(d) Make sure Hamlet knows that Polonius is listening to their conversation.
7. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
(a) They are weak and foolish.
(b) They are good, true friends.
(c) They are dangerous.
(d) They are spies for Claudius.
8. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
(a) Getrude is talking about Claudius, but Hamlet is talking about the dead king.
(b) Hamlet has decided to act crazy even with his mother.
(c) Gertrude is using the dead king to force Hamlet to behave himself.
(d) Gertrude is talking about the dead king, but Hamlet is talking about Claudius.
9. How does Gertrude die?
(a) She kills herself by drowning.
(b) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(c) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(d) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
10. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be careful.
(b) They will be crafty.
(c) They will be fast.
(d) They will be bloody.
11. What happens between Laertes and Hamlet in the graveyard scene?
(a) Laertes tries to kill Hamlet.
(b) Laertes blames Hamlet for his sister's death.
(c) They both jump into Ophelia's grave and get in a fight.
(d) They shake hands over Ophelia's grave.
12. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
13. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
(a) Give the sailors a tip for delivering the letters.
(b) This letter is meant for the king. You should not read it.
(c) Help the sailors get in to see Claudius.
(d) Help the sailors get in to see the dead king's body.
14. After he leaves the ship, how will Hamlet make his way back to Elsinore?
(a) Ophelia must come get him.
(b) Horatio must come get him.
(c) Claudius must pay a ransom.
(d) Hamlet must escape from the pirates.
15. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
(a) To the doctor.
(b) To the chapel.
(c) To the graveyard.
(d) To the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
2. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
3. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
4. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
5. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)