|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he leaves the ship, how will Hamlet make his way back to Elsinore?
(a) Hamlet must escape from the pirates.
(b) Horatio must come get him.
(c) Claudius must pay a ransom.
(d) Ophelia must come get him.
2. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(b) The king's jester, now dead.
(c) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
(d) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
3. At the end of Act 4, Scene 5, what does Claudius offer to do for Laertes?
(a) Help Laertes kill Hamlet.
(b) Take care of Ophelia.
(c) Tell Laertes the truth about his father's death.
(d) Show Laertes where his father is buried.
4. What does Ophelia say about violets?
(a) Violets stand for thoughts.
(b) Violets stand for remembrance.
(c) Violets are her favorite flower.
(d) The violets died when her father died.
5. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
(a) No one.
6. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is determined to get revenge.
(b) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is not crazy.
7. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
(a) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
(b) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
(c) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
(d) Poison the tip of the sword.
8. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
(a) The ambassadors to Norway.
(c) Laertes and Ophelia.
(d) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
9. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
(a) They want to make him king.
(b) They want to kill him.
(c) They think he should lead the armies against Norway.
(d) They think he is to blame for the last king's death
10. What does Ophelia she say about the herb rosemary?
(a) The rosemary died when her father died.
(b) Rosemary stands for thoughts.
(c) Rosemary stands for remembrance.
(d) Rosemary is her favorite plant.
11. What happens between Laertes and Hamlet in the graveyard scene?
(a) They shake hands over Ophelia's grave.
(b) Laertes tries to kill Hamlet.
(c) They both jump into Ophelia's grave and get in a fight.
(d) Laertes blames Hamlet for his sister's death.
12. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
(a) To talk to Hamlet.
(b) To take over the throne of Denmark.
(c) To visit with his sister.
(d) Revenge on the people responsible for his father's death.
13. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
14. After reading the letters brought by the sailors in Act 4, Scene 6, what does Horatio say he wants to do?
(a) Tell Claudius about Hamlet.
(b) Wait until Hamlet arrives in Elsinore.
(c) Go get Hamlet.
(d) Tell Gertrude about Hamlet.
15. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He answers with a riddle.
(c) He refuses to speak.
(d) He threatens to kill more people.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
2. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
3. How does Laertes die?
4. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
5. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)