|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
2. Some sailors arrive at Elsinore from a pirate ship in Act 4, Scene 6. Who do they deliver a letter to?
3. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(b) She gets sick.
(c) She goes crazy.
(d) She wants to kill Hamlet.
4. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
(a) Hamlet should be put on trial for murder.
(b) Hamlet should be put to death.
(c) Hamlet should be locked away forever.
(d) Hamlet should be exiled from Denmark.
5. Claudius asks Hamlet a second time about where they can find his victim. Hamlet responds, "In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger find him not there, seek him i' the other place yourself." What other place is Hamlet suggesting Claudius visit?
(a) Gertrude's bedroom.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The graveyard.
6. How does Gertrude die?
(a) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(b) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(c) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
(d) She kills herself by drowning.
7. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
(a) Help the sailors get in to see the dead king's body.
(b) Help the sailors get in to see Claudius.
(c) This letter is meant for the king. You should not read it.
(d) Give the sailors a tip for delivering the letters.
8. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
(a) They want to kill him.
(b) They want to make him king.
(c) They think he is to blame for the last king's death
(d) They think he should lead the armies against Norway.
9. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
(a) He wants to kill himself, but Fortinbras stops him.
(b) He gets poisoned by accident.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He wants to kill himself, but Hamlet asks him to live.
10. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
(a) It is a shame that someone so young is dead.
(b) If she is a suicide, so she should not be buried in the churchyard.
(c) She should have been getting married, not buried.
(d) Her burial should get more ceremony and more attention than it is receiving.
11. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be fast.
(b) They will be bloody.
(c) They will be careful.
(d) They will be crafty.
12. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
13. At the end of the play, a messenger arrives from England with news. What is the news?
(a) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have sent help to Denmark.
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have been executed.
(c) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have arrived safely.
(d) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are on their way back to Denmark.
14. At the end of Act 4, Scene 2, what does Hamlet agree to do?
(a) Go see the king.
(b) Go to England.
(c) Talk to Gertrude.
(d) See a doctor.
15. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
(a) Gertrude will be upset if they are hard on him.
(b) The people of Denmark love him.
(c) He is crazy, but not a bad person.
(d) He is still a prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
2. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
3. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
4. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
5. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)