|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hamlet's response when Claudius demands to know where the body of Hamlet's murdered victim is?
(a) The worms are eating the victim for supper.
(b) The victim is eating supper in Heaven.
(c) The victim is eating supper in Hell.
(d) The victim is not really dead and is eating supper in the castle.
2. As Gertrude lays flowers at Ophelia's grave, what does she say?
(a) She hoped Ophelia and Hamlet would marry.
(b) She is glad Ophelia will be with her father now.
(c) She believes Ophelia is now an angel.
(d) She is sorry Ophelia died so young.
3. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
(a) To the doctor.
(b) To the police.
(c) To the chapel.
(d) To the graveyard.
4. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
(a) Hamlet needs to be executed.
(b) Hamlet might have killed him.
(c) Hamlet is a brave man.
(d) Hamlet needs to be sent to jail.
5. What does Ophelia say about violets?
(a) Violets stand for thoughts.
(b) Violets stand for remembrance.
(c) The violets died when her father died.
(d) Violets are her favorite flower.
6. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
(a) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
(b) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
(c) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
(d) Poison the tip of the sword.
7. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
(a) Revenge on the people responsible for his father's death.
(b) To talk to Hamlet.
(c) To take over the throne of Denmark.
(d) To visit with his sister.
8. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
(a) Whether Hamlet should stand trial.
(b) Whether Hamlet will try to kill.
(c) Whether a doctor can help Hamlet get better.
(d) Whether the murder will affect his power and ability to rule.
9. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
(a) Challenge Hamlet to a duel himself.
(b) Give Hamlet a poisoned drink.
(c) Hire an assassin to kill Hamlet.
(d) Arrest Hamlet for Polonius's death.
10. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
(a) She should have been getting married, not buried.
(b) Her burial should get more ceremony and more attention than it is receiving.
(c) It is a shame that someone so young is dead.
(d) If she is a suicide, so she should not be buried in the churchyard.
11. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
(a) He is still a prince.
(b) The people of Denmark love him.
(c) He is crazy, but not a bad person.
(d) Gertrude will be upset if they are hard on him.
12. How does Hamlet manage to avoid his fate in England?
(a) He killed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(b) He made friends with the English queen.
(c) He bribed Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(d) He got onto another ship.
13. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
(a) He has scared Ophelia away from him forever.
(b) He has hidden the body.
(c) He has established proof that he is crazy.
(d) He has convinced his mother to help him.
14. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
15. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
(a) Wait a month till the ground thaws and the grave will be revealed.
(b) The body is waiting on the lobby stairs.
(c) Climb the stairs and you will see the body in the lobby.
(d) Wait a month and you will smell where it is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
2. Claudius suggests a duel between Laertes and Hamlet, but that type of duel usually is not deadly. What does Claudius suggest they do to injure Hamlet?
3. After reading the letters brought by the sailors in Act 4, Scene 6, what does Horatio say he wants to do?
4. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
5. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)