|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) The king's jester, now dead.
(b) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(c) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
(d) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
2. As the funeral procession makes it way through the graveyard, Hamlet notices there are "maimed rites." What does that signify?
(a) That the person who died was poor.
(b) That the person died from the plague.
(c) That the person died by suicide.
(d) That the person who died was very old.
3. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
(b) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
(c) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
(d) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
4. How does Claudius die?
(a) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(b) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) Laertes kills him with a poisoned sword.
5. What happens between Laertes and Hamlet in the graveyard scene?
(a) Laertes blames Hamlet for his sister's death.
(b) They shake hands over Ophelia's grave.
(c) Laertes tries to kill Hamlet.
(d) They both jump into Ophelia's grave and get in a fight.
6. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
(a) She should have been getting married, not buried.
(b) It is a shame that someone so young is dead.
(c) If she is a suicide, so she should not be buried in the churchyard.
(d) Her burial should get more ceremony and more attention than it is receiving.
7. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
(a) Hamlet might have killed him.
(b) Hamlet is a brave man.
(c) Hamlet needs to be sent to jail.
(d) Hamlet needs to be executed.
8. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She wants to kill Hamlet.
(b) She gets sick.
(c) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(d) She goes crazy.
9. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
(a) Hamlet should be exiled from Denmark.
(b) Hamlet should be put to death.
(c) Hamlet should be put on trial for murder.
(d) Hamlet should be locked away forever.
10. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
11. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
(a) Whether a doctor can help Hamlet get better.
(b) Whether Hamlet should stand trial.
(c) Whether the murder will affect his power and ability to rule.
(d) Whether Hamlet will try to kill.
12. At the end of the play, a messenger arrives from England with news. What is the news?
(a) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have arrived safely.
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have been executed.
(c) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are on their way back to Denmark.
(d) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have sent help to Denmark.
13. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
14. When Hamlet first sees Laertes in the graveyard scene, what does Hamlet say about him?
(a) He is always mean to his sister.
(b) He is a noble youth.
(c) He is an arrogant, bossy man.
(d) He is just like his father and not to be trusted.
15. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
(a) Kills her.
(b) Tells her about the ghost.
(c) Forces her to face what she has done.
(d) Kills Claudius.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
2. As Gertrude lays flowers at Ophelia's grave, what does she say?
3. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
4. Claudius asks Hamlet a second time about where they can find his victim. Hamlet responds, "In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger find him not there, seek him i' the other place yourself." What other place is Hamlet suggesting Claudius visit?
5. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)