|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Polonius tell Gertrude to do in Act 3, Scene 4 regarding Hamlet?
(a) Be stern with Hamlet about his behavior.
(b) Make sure Hamlet knows that Polonius is listening to their conversation.
(c) Convince Hamlet to talk about Ophelia.
(d) Be kind to Hamlet and invite him to confide in her.
2. At the end of Act 4, Scene 5, what does Claudius offer to do for Laertes?
(a) Tell Laertes the truth about his father's death.
(b) Help Laertes kill Hamlet.
(c) Show Laertes where his father is buried.
(d) Take care of Ophelia.
3. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
(a) The dead body of Claudius.
(b) The dead body of Polonius.
(c) A portrait of his dead father.
(d) A portrait of his mother.
4. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
(a) He is afraid Laertes may kill himself because of Ophelia's death.
(b) He is worried Ophelia's death will enrage Laertes.
(c) He thinks Laertes is responsible for Ophelia's death.
(d) He knew about Ophelia's death, but did not want to tell Laertes.
5. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
6. Hamlet's mother tries to leave the room during their conversation in Act 3, Scene 4, but Hamlet stops her and says she cannot leave until he does what?
(a) Kills her.
(b) Tells her about the ghost.
(c) Kills Claudius.
(d) Forces her to face what she has done.
7. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
(a) They are good, true friends.
(b) They are weak and foolish.
(c) They are spies for Claudius.
(d) They are dangerous.
8. Who is "poor Yorick"?
(a) The king's jester, now dead.
(b) Hamlet's servant, who is old and tired.
(c) The gravedigger who is old and tired.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather, now dead.
9. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
(a) Because Gertrude loves him and Ophelia might kill herself if he is killed.
(b) Because Hamlet is heir to the throne and Gertrude loves him.
(c) Because the common people love him and Fortinbras might attack if he is killed.
(d) Because Gertrude loves him and the common people love him.
10. Claudius suggests a duel between Laertes and Hamlet, but that type of duel usually is not deadly. What does Claudius suggest they do to injure Hamlet?
(a) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
(b) Bribe the referee.
(c) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
(d) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
11. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
(d) No one.
12. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
(a) He is still a prince.
(b) The people of Denmark love him.
(c) Gertrude will be upset if they are hard on him.
(d) He is crazy, but not a bad person.
13. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
(a) A king's assassination.
(b) A little piece of worthless land.
(c) An insult.
(d) A country.
14. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
(a) To the chapel.
(b) To the doctor.
(c) To the police.
(d) To the graveyard.
15. What do the gravediggers say about Ophelia's burial?
(a) If she is a suicide, so she should not be buried in the churchyard.
(b) It is a shame that someone so young is dead.
(c) She should have been getting married, not buried.
(d) Her burial should get more ceremony and more attention than it is receiving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
2. How does Hamlet act after he has killed someone?
3. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
4. After reading the letters brought by the sailors in Act 4, Scene 6, what does Horatio say he wants to do?
5. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)