|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
2. After he leaves the ship, how will Hamlet make his way back to Elsinore?
(a) Horatio must come get him.
(b) Claudius must pay a ransom.
(c) Hamlet must escape from the pirates.
(d) Ophelia must come get him.
3. How does Gertrude die?
(a) She kills herself by drowning.
(b) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(c) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
(d) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
4. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be fast.
(b) They will be bloody.
(c) They will be crafty.
(d) They will be careful.
5. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
(a) Hamlet needs to be sent to jail.
(b) Hamlet needs to be executed.
(c) Hamlet might have killed him.
(d) Hamlet is a brave man.
6. What happens to Horatio at the end of the play?
(a) He gets poisoned by accident.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He wants to kill himself, but Fortinbras stops him.
(d) He wants to kill himself, but Hamlet asks him to live.
7. Who is Gertrude truly loyal to?
(a) No one.
8. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
(a) To the police.
(b) To the doctor.
(c) To the graveyard.
(d) To the chapel.
9. At the end of Act 4, Scene 5, what does Claudius offer to do for Laertes?
(a) Help Laertes kill Hamlet.
(b) Tell Laertes the truth about his father's death.
(c) Take care of Ophelia.
(d) Show Laertes where his father is buried.
10. When Hamlet visits his mother in her room in Act 3, Scene 4, he speaks very harshly to his mother. What makes him stop?
(a) Ophelia enters the room.
(b) The ghost appears.
(c) Getrude kills herself.
(d) Claudius enters the room.
11. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
12. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
(a) Back to school.
(b) To be locked in his room.
(d) Off to prison.
13. Laertes comes up with another idea to make sure his duel with Hamlet will result in Hamlet's death. What is it?
(a) Poison the tip of the sword.
(b) Force Hamlet to drink poison before the fight.
(c) Fix Laertes's sword so it is sharp.
(d) Damage Hamlet's armor so he is vulnerable.
14. After reading the letters brought by the sailors in Act 4, Scene 6, what does Horatio say he wants to do?
(a) Wait until Hamlet arrives in Elsinore.
(b) Tell Gertrude about Hamlet.
(c) Go get Hamlet.
(d) Tell Claudius about Hamlet.
15. How does Laertes die?
(a) He is forced to drink poisoned wine and is stabbed with a poisoned sword.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(d) Hamlet kills him with a poisoned sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the play, a messenger arrives from England with news. What is the news?
2. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
3. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
4. At the end of Act 4, Scene 2, what does Hamlet agree to do?
5. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)