|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 4, Scene 5, what does Claudius offer to do for Laertes?
(a) Help Laertes kill Hamlet.
(b) Show Laertes where his father is buried.
(c) Tell Laertes the truth about his father's death.
(d) Take care of Ophelia.
2. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
(b) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
(c) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
(d) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
3. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
4. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
(b) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
(c) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
(d) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
5. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
(a) Laertes and Ophelia.
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(d) The ambassadors to Norway.
6. What does Claudius say about Laertes and Ophelia's death?
(a) He is worried Ophelia's death will enrage Laertes.
(b) He is afraid Laertes may kill himself because of Ophelia's death.
(c) He knew about Ophelia's death, but did not want to tell Laertes.
(d) He thinks Laertes is responsible for Ophelia's death.
7. What happens to Ophelia after her father's death?
(a) She blames Claudius for her father's death.
(b) She gets sick.
(c) She wants to kill Hamlet.
(d) She goes crazy.
8. Claudius tells Laertes there are two reasons why he has not ordered Hamlet killed. What are those reasons?
(a) Because the common people love him and Fortinbras might attack if he is killed.
(b) Because Gertrude loves him and the common people love him.
(c) Because Gertrude loves him and Ophelia might kill herself if he is killed.
(d) Because Hamlet is heir to the throne and Gertrude loves him.
9. How does Gertrude die?
(a) She drinks poisoned wine meant for Hamlet.
(b) Hamlet kills her with a poisoned sword.
(c) Laertes kills her with a poisoned sword.
(d) She kills herself by drowning.
10. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
(a) Find Hamlet so the guards can arrest him.
(b) Protect Ophelia from Hamlet.
(c) Protect Getrude from Hamlet.
(d) Get the body from Hamlet.
11. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
(a) Hamlet should be put on trial for murder.
(b) Hamlet should be put to death.
(c) Hamlet should be locked away forever.
(d) Hamlet should be exiled from Denmark.
12. What does Ophelia say about violets?
(a) Violets stand for thoughts.
(b) The violets died when her father died.
(c) Violets are her favorite flower.
(d) Violets stand for remembrance.
13. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
(a) They are weak and foolish.
(b) They are spies for Claudius.
(c) They are good, true friends.
(d) They are dangerous.
14. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
(a) A king's assassination.
(b) An insult.
(c) A little piece of worthless land.
(d) A country.
15. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what do the common people say about him?
(a) They think he is to blame for the last king's death
(b) They think he should lead the armies against Norway.
(c) They want to kill him.
(d) They want to make him king.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claudius die?
2. At the end of the play, who will rule Denmark?
3. Claudius asks Hamlet a second time about where they can find his victim. Hamlet responds, "In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger find him not there, seek him i' the other place yourself." What other place is Hamlet suggesting Claudius visit?
4. What additional method does Claudius suggest so that even if Hamlet wins the duel with Laertes, Hamlet will still die?
5. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)