|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
(b) Three times.
(c) Four times.
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(b) Very cold.
(d) Pouring rain.
3. After Hamlet yells at Ophelia to go to a nunnery, what does she say about him?
(a) She is angry because she does not think he is crazy, and he has hurt her feelings.
(b) She is relieved that she did not marry him.
(c) She is angry at him because she thinks he is crazy.
(d) She is sorry for him and for herself, because she thinks he is crazy.
4. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
5. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She is grieving too much for his father.
(b) She is responsible for his father's death.
(c) She forgot his father too quickly.
(d) She has too much power over the country.
6. What country did the late King go to battle against?
7. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
(a) Men shouting and women screaming.
(b) Trumpets being blown and ordinance being fired.
(c) Drunken singing.
(d) A cock crowing.
8. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
(a) Hamlet has studied too hard at school.
(b) Hamlet has always been a strange boy and his father's death has driven him insane.
(c) Hamlet is mad with love for Ophelia.
(d) Hamlet is taking his father's death too hard.
9. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
10. What time of day is it when the play starts?
(a) Late at night.
(b) After dinner.
11. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
(a) He is bored and does not seem to care.
(b) He is angry and asks Hamlet if he is making an accusation.
(c) He is upset and leaves before the play ends.
(d) He is uneasy and makes a joke about it.
12. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
(b) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
(c) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(d) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
13. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Keep his secret.
(b) Help him avenge the murder.
(c) Help him break the news to his mother.
(d) Tell the world about the last king's death.
14. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
(a) He tells them nothing.
(b) He repeats the truth about the last king's death.
(c) He says the ghost is a liar.
(d) He pretends that he did not see a ghost.
15. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
(a) Angel and minister of grace.
(b) Devil, demon, bane of Heaven.
(c) Fearsome creature.
(d) King, father, royal Dane.
Short Answer Questions
1. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
2. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
3. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
4. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)