|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
(c) Talking to Polonius.
2. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
(a) He had a heart attack.
(b) He died in his sleep.
(c) He was stabbed.
(d) He was stung by a serpent.
3. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(a) More sad than angry.
(d) More angry than sad.
4. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
(a) The king who just died.
(b) The prince, Hamlet.
(c) The Queen.
(d) The king's advisor, Polonius.
5. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
(a) Mentions her father.
(b) Tries to leave the room.
(c) Gives back the letters and gifts Hamlet gave her.
(d) Kisses Hamlet.
6. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
(a) Devil, demon, bane of Heaven.
(b) Angel and minister of grace.
(c) King, father, royal Dane.
(d) Fearsome creature.
7. Where is Elsinore in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
(a) He looked like he came out of Hell.
(b) He looked like he was ready to cry.
(c) He looked like he wanted to kiss her.
(d) He looked like he had seen a ghost.
9. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(c) Pouring rain.
(d) Very cold.
10. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
(a) Watch Claudius and see if he reacts to the play.
(b) Watch Gertrude and see if she reacts to the play.
(c) Watch Polonius and see if he reacts to the play.
(d) Help Hamlet kill Claudius as the play is performed.
11. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
(a) They are getting ready to go to sleep.
(b) They are on watch.
(c) They are eating a meal together.
(d) They are fighting in a battle.
12. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
13. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He yelled at her but would not look at her.
(b) He stared at her, then started to yell at her.
(c) He stared at her but did not speak.
(d) He would not look at her and would not speak to her.
14. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) Poison poured down his throat.
(b) A knife in the back.
(c) Poison poured in his ear.
(d) A heart attack.
15. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) An opening scene that shows how much the king and queen love each other.
(b) A dumbshow, in which they do not speak.
(c) A welcoming speech by their sponsor, Prince Hamlet.
(d) A prologue, in which they summarize the upcoming play.
Short Answer Questions
1. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
2. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
3. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
4. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
5. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)