|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the ghost do to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Ignores him.
(b) Smiles at him.
(c) Puts a curse on him.
(d) Beckons him to follow.
2. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
(b) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
(c) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(d) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
3. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Do not go with the ghost.
(b) Tell the king about the ghost.
(c) Go with the ghost.
(d) Send for a priest.
4. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
(a) It makes the Danes look bad to other countries.
(b) It is an old tradition that every king should follow.
(c) It is something he should stop doing now that he is King.
(d) It should help him be a good leader.
5. Polonius asks Claudius to arrange for Hamlet to go somewhere after the play's performance. Where is Hamlet supposed to go?
(a) To see his mother.
(b) To see Ophelia.
(c) To see a doctor.
(d) To see Claudius.
6. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
(a) In Hamlet's bedroom.
(b) On the platform.
(c) In the throne room.
(d) On a ship.
7. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
(a) Talk to a priest.
(b) Tell Prince Hamlet about the ghost.
(c) Watch for the ghost on the next night.
(d) Talk to the king.
8. What time of day is it when the play starts?
(a) Late at night.
(d) After dinner.
9. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
(a) Apologize to Hamlet for killing his father.
(b) Stand trial for his crime so he can face public justice.
(c) Commit a sin so Hamlet can send his soul to hell.
(d) Confess his crime so the world will know about his guilt.
10. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
(b) Only if he is afraid of it.
(d) Not if he carries garlic and a crucifix.
11. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A welcoming speech by their sponsor, Prince Hamlet.
(b) A prologue, in which they summarize the upcoming play.
(c) An opening scene that shows how much the king and queen love each other.
(d) A dumbshow, in which they do not speak.
12. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
(a) Hamlet asks them to teach him how to play the recorder.
(b) Hamlet says they want to play him like a recorder and get information out of him.
(c) Hamlet says he wants to learn to play the recorder.
(d) Hamlet wants them to make the musicians stop playing the recorder.
13. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
(a) Talk to the local police department.
(b) Lie about him if that helps bring out the truth.
(c) Ask his son directly.
(d) Ask his son's friends and teachers.
14. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She has too much power over the country.
(b) She is grieving too much for his father.
(c) She forgot his father too quickly.
(d) She is responsible for his father's death.
15. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
(a) Buy the fanciest clothes you can find.
(b) Nobody pays attention to what you wear.
(c) Get costly, but not showy or ostentatious clothes.
(d) Buy the least expensive clothes you can find.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
3. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
4. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
5. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)