|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
2. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
(a) Trumpets being blown and ordinance being fired.
(b) A cock crowing.
(c) Men shouting and women screaming.
(d) Drunken singing.
3. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Do not go with the ghost.
(b) Send for a priest.
(c) Go with the ghost.
(d) Tell the king about the ghost.
4. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(b) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(c) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
(d) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
5. After the play is performed, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Ask the players to leave Elsinore.
(b) Go see his mother.
(c) Go see Ophelia.
(d) Go see Claudius.
6. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Hire an exorcist.
(b) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(c) Get revenge.
(d) Help the new king.
7. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
(a) Hamlet going crazy.
(b) Killing his brother.
(c) Marrying Gertrude.
(d) Having Hamlet killed.
8. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
(a) Nobody pays attention to what you wear.
(b) Buy the least expensive clothes you can find.
(c) Get costly, but not showy or ostentatious clothes.
(d) Buy the fanciest clothes you can find.
9. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
(b) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
(c) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
(d) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To cover for them while they take a break.
(b) To show him his father's ghost.
(c) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(d) To confirm what they have seen.
11. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
(a) He was wearing his father's armor.
(b) His clothes were in disarray.
(c) He was wearing the shirt she embroidered for him.
(d) He was still dressed all in black.
12. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) What happened is her fault.
(b) Protect her from the murderer.
(c) Do not blame her for what happened.
(d) She is a good woman.
13. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He is convinced that Hamlet needs to see a doctor.
(b) He is convinced Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(c) He does not think Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(d) He is suspicious that Hamlet is not really crazy.
14. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
(a) Tell the king.
(b) Talk to Hamlet himself.
(c) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(d) Tell the queen.
15. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
2. Before he returns to school, what does Laertes tell Ophelia about her boyfriend?
3. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
5. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)