|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) Hamlet's plan to kill Claudius.
(b) A treaty between Norway and Poland.
(c) A letter from Hamlet to Fortinbras.
(d) A love letter from Hamlet to Ophelia.
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
(a) Hamlet ignores him.
(b) Hamlet does not seem to recognize him.
(c) Hamlet argues with him.
(d) Hamlet is glad to see him.
3. What time of day is it when the play starts?
(a) After dinner.
(b) Late at night.
4. After the play is performed, what does Polonius ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Go see Ophelia.
(b) Go see Claudius.
(c) Go see the Queen.
(d) Ask the players to leave Elsinore.
5. Hamlet makes an ominous statement about married people: "those that are married already, all but one, shall live." What does that mean and who is he talking about?
(a) Everyone who is currently married will stay alive, except one person: Claudius.
(b) Everyone who plans to be married soon should be killed, except one person: Ophelia.
(c) Everyone who is currently married will stay alive, except one person: Polonius.
(d) Everyone who is currently married will be killed, except one person: Gertrude.
6. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
(b) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
(c) We shall have no more marriage.
(d) Marriage is better for women than for men.
7. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
(a) To go to a new school.
(b) To live in another country.
(c) Back to college.
(d) Off to war.
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, why is Ophelia frightened?
(a) She saw a fight between Claudius and Hamlet.
(b) She saw Hamlet slap Gertrude in the face.
(c) She had an unpleasant encounter with Hamlet.
(d) She saw the ghost talking to Hamlet.
9. After the play is performed, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Go see his mother.
(b) Go see Ophelia.
(c) Go see Claudius.
(d) Ask the players to leave Elsinore.
10. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(b) His father hated his mother.
(c) His mother was devoted to his father.
(d) His mother hated his father.
11. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(b) He does not believe it exists.
(c) He wants to talk to it.
(d) He wants it to leave him alone.
12. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(a) More angry than sad.
(d) More sad than angry.
13. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Help the new king.
(b) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(c) Hire an exorcist.
(d) Get revenge.
14. What does Horatio say the ghost might do to Hamlet?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Drive him crazy.
(c) Curse him.
(d) Bless him.
15. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
(a) Hamlet is telling him about the king's death.
(b) Hamlet is asking him about the life of an actor.
(c) Hamlet is coaching him on how to perform.
(d) Hamlet is complaining about how Ophelia is acting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
2. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
3. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
4. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
5. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)