|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) Poison poured in his ear.
(b) Poison poured down his throat.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) A knife in the back.
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 2, what does Hamlet reveal about his reasons for wanting the players to perform?
(a) He thinks the play will remind Gertrude of her first husband.
(b) He thinks the play will distract him.
(c) He wants to use the play to test Claudius's conscience.
(d) He thinks the players are very talented.
3. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) After midnight.
(c) Lunch time.
(d) Almost midnight.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He would not look at her and would not speak to her.
(b) He stared at her but did not speak.
(c) He stared at her, then started to yell at her.
(d) He yelled at her but would not look at her.
5. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He greets her pleasantly.
(c) He yells at her.
(d) He stares at her but says nothing.
6. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
(b) Marriage is better for women than for men.
(c) We shall have no more marriage.
(d) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
7. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
(a) Watch for the ghost on the next night.
(b) Tell Prince Hamlet about the ghost.
(c) Talk to the king.
(d) Talk to a priest.
8. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
(a) He is sure that heaven will forgive him for his crime.
(b) Only the weak repent.
(c) He cannot repent because he still has the crown and the queen -- the two things he did the murder for.
(d) He wants to repent, but cannot tell anyone what he has done.
9. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's grandfather.
(b) A tortured spirit.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
10. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Do not borrow or lend money.
(b) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
(c) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
(d) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
11. In Act 2, Scene 1, why is Ophelia frightened?
(a) She saw Hamlet slap Gertrude in the face.
(b) She saw the ghost talking to Hamlet.
(c) She had an unpleasant encounter with Hamlet.
(d) She saw a fight between Claudius and Hamlet.
12. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
(a) Hamlet says he wants to learn to play the recorder.
(b) Hamlet says they want to play him like a recorder and get information out of him.
(c) Hamlet wants them to make the musicians stop playing the recorder.
(d) Hamlet asks them to teach him how to play the recorder.
13. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(b) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(c) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(d) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
14. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
(a) Make sure he does not hurt you.
(b) Do not trust his promises of love.
(c) Ask him to marry you.
(d) Do not go to bed with him.
15. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
(a) They are on watch.
(b) They are fighting in a battle.
(c) They are getting ready to go to sleep.
(d) They are eating a meal together.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
2. What country did the late King go to battle against?
3. What does Horatio say the ghost might do to Hamlet?
4. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)