|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Polonius asks Claudius to arrange for Hamlet to go somewhere after the play's performance. Where is Hamlet supposed to go?
(a) To see a doctor.
(b) To see his mother.
(c) To see Ophelia.
(d) To see Claudius.
2. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
(c) Talking to Polonius.
3. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
(a) He is sure that heaven will forgive him for his crime.
(b) Only the weak repent.
(c) He wants to repent, but cannot tell anyone what he has done.
(d) He cannot repent because he still has the crown and the queen -- the two things he did the murder for.
4. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
5. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
(a) Mentions her father.
(b) Kisses Hamlet.
(c) Tries to leave the room.
(d) Gives back the letters and gifts Hamlet gave her.
6. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
(a) It looks like it is crying.
(b) It looks like it is in pain.
(c) It looks like it wants to scare people.
(d) It looks like it wants to speak.
7. What does Polonius ask Reynaldo to give to his son?
(c) Written notes.
(d) Money and written notes.
8. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
(a) Do not go to bed with him.
(b) Make sure he does not hurt you.
(c) Ask him to marry you.
(d) Do not trust his promises of love.
9. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
(a) Not if he carries garlic and a crucifix.
(c) Only if he is afraid of it.
10. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(b) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(c) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
(d) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
11. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Take him to England next summer.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Take him to a doctor.
(d) Take him to England right away.
12. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
(a) Hamlet is asking him about the life of an actor.
(b) Hamlet is complaining about how Ophelia is acting.
(c) Hamlet is telling him about the king's death.
(d) Hamlet is coaching him on how to perform.
13. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He yells at her.
(c) He stares at her but says nothing.
(d) He greets her pleasantly.
14. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When the sun comes up.
(b) When the cock crows.
(c) When Horatio talks to it.
(d) When the trumpets sound.
15. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He wants it to leave him alone.
(b) He wants to talk to it.
(c) He does not believe it exists.
(d) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ophelia?
2. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
3. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
4. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
5. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)