|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
(a) He yells at her.
(b) He greets her pleasantly.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He stares at her but says nothing.
2. Polonius asks Claudius to arrange for Hamlet to go somewhere after the play's performance. Where is Hamlet supposed to go?
(a) To see a doctor.
(b) To see Claudius.
(c) To see Ophelia.
(d) To see his mother.
3. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
(a) He says the right words, but they do not reach heaven because his thoughts are on earth.
(b) His words lie, but his thoughts tell the truth.
(c) He does not speak his thoughts.
(d) His words and thoughts are not enough to convince heaven to forgive him.
4. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
5. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(b) He wants to talk to it.
(c) He wants it to leave him alone.
(d) He does not believe it exists.
6. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
7. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Four times.
(d) Three times.
8. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people rarely have any friends.
(b) Good people always have lots of friends.
(c) Keep your good friends close to you.
(d) Do not worry about making friends.
9. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Spy on him.
(b) Stay away from him.
(c) Flirt with him.
(d) Make friends with him.
10. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
(b) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
(c) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
(d) Do not borrow or lend money.
11. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(b) Very cold.
(c) Pouring rain.
12. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To show him his father's ghost.
(b) To confirm what they have seen.
(c) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(d) To cover for them while they take a break.
13. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Lunch time.
(b) Almost midnight.
(d) After midnight.
14. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
(a) Hamlet is asking him about the life of an actor.
(b) Hamlet is coaching him on how to perform.
(c) Hamlet is complaining about how Ophelia is acting.
(d) Hamlet is telling him about the king's death.
15. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(b) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
(c) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(d) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
2. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
5. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)