Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Help him avenge the murder.
(b) Keep his secret.
(c) Help him break the news to his mother.
(d) Tell the world about the last king's death.
2. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
3. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
(a) Find out if his son has a girlfriend.
(b) Find out if his son is getting enough to eat.
(c) Find out if his son is behaving appropriately.
(d) Find out how his son is doing in school.
5. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(c) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
6. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people rarely have any friends.
(b) Do not worry about making friends.
(c) Keep your good friends close to you.
(d) Good people always have lots of friends.
7. Who is Ophelia in love with?
8. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She forgot his father too quickly.
(b) She is grieving too much for his father.
(c) She is responsible for his father's death.
(d) She has too much power over the country.
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(b) To show him his father's ghost.
(c) To cover for them while they take a break.
(d) To confirm what they have seen.
10. In Act 3, Scene 1, after they have had some time to talk to Hamlet, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern say about his behavior?
(a) He acts strangely, but does not seem crazy.
(b) He is just unhappy about his father's death.
(c) He has lost his mind.
(d) He has not changed at all. He's normal.
11. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
(a) He is too angry.
(b) He is too sad.
(c) He is too frightened.
(d) He is too happy.
12. After Hamlet yells at Ophelia to go to a nunnery, what does she say about him?
(a) She is sorry for him and for herself, because she thinks he is crazy.
(b) She is angry at him because she thinks he is crazy.
(c) She is relieved that she did not marry him.
(d) She is angry because she does not think he is crazy, and he has hurt her feelings.
13. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(b) Avoid him.
(c) Argue with him.
(d) Kill him.
14. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Take him to a doctor.
(b) Take him to England right away.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Take him to England next summer.
15. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They were sent for by the king.
(b) They came to see his father's funeral.
(c) They came to visit him.
(d) They were sent for by Polonius.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
2. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
3. After hearing about Hamlet's strange behavior, what does Polonius say about his own decisions?
4. Who is Claudius?
5. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)