|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, why is Ophelia frightened?
(a) She saw the ghost talking to Hamlet.
(b) She saw Hamlet slap Gertrude in the face.
(c) She saw a fight between Claudius and Hamlet.
(d) She had an unpleasant encounter with Hamlet.
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(a) Very cold.
(d) Pouring rain.
3. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When Horatio talks to it.
(b) When the sun comes up.
(c) When the trumpets sound.
(d) When the cock crows.
4. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do not talk too much.
(b) Do well in school.
(c) Be true to yourself.
(d) Do not borrow money.
5. What does the ghost do to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Puts a curse on him.
(b) Beckons him to follow.
(c) Smiles at him.
(d) Ignores him.
6. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Daughter of Polonius, sister of Laertes.
(b) Daughter of Claudius, cousin of Hamlet.
(c) Daughter of Hamlet, sister of Horatio.
(d) Daughter of Gertrude, sister of Hamlet.
7. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
(b) We shall have no more marriage.
(c) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
(d) Marriage is better for women than for men.
8. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She is grieving too much for his father.
(b) She has too much power over the country.
(c) She is responsible for his father's death.
(d) She forgot his father too quickly.
9. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
(a) She has spent even more time with him than she used to.
(b) She has avoided him entirely.
(c) She has continued to see him.
(d) She has avoided him most of the time.
10. At the end of Act 2, Scene 2, what does Hamlet reveal about his reasons for wanting the players to perform?
(a) He thinks the play will distract him.
(b) He thinks the players are very talented.
(c) He thinks the play will remind Gertrude of her first husband.
(d) He wants to use the play to test Claudius's conscience.
11. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(c) Avoid him.
(d) Argue with him.
12. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Hamlet's old friends.
(b) Gertrude's nephews.
(c) Servants of the court.
(d) The ambassadors to Norway.
13. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His mother hated his father.
(b) His mother was devoted to his father.
(c) His father hated his mother.
(d) His parents barely spoke to each other.
14. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
(a) Claudius stole from the state treasury.
(b) Claudius seduced his wife.
(c) Laertes seduced his wife.
(d) Polonius stole from the state treasury.
15. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Help him avenge the murder.
(b) Keep his secret.
(c) Help him break the news to his mother.
(d) Tell the world about the last king's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
2. When Claudius reacts to the play, what does Hamlet say in response?
3. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
4. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
5. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)