|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
(a) Drunken singing.
(b) Men shouting and women screaming.
(c) A cock crowing.
(d) Trumpets being blown and ordinance being fired.
2. What does Horatio say the ghost might do to Hamlet?
(a) Bless him.
(b) Drive him crazy.
(c) Curse him.
(d) Kill him.
3. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(a) More sad than angry.
(d) More angry than sad.
4. After the play, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and Claudius meet to discuss Hamlet. Polonius joins them. What does he tell Claudius?
(a) Hamlet is on his way to come see Claudius.
(b) Hamlet is going to see his mother and Polonius will eavesdrop on their conversation.
(c) Hamlet is acting crazy and threatening Gertrude.
(d) Hamlet is on his way to come see Ophelia.
5. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) He is not crazy -- at least, not all the time.
(b) He tells them about the ghost and his suspicions of Claudius.
(c) He tells them that he wants to marry Ophelia.
(d) He feels like he really is going crazy.
6. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Spy on him.
(b) Stay away from him.
(c) Make friends with him.
(d) Flirt with him.
7. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
(a) He cannot repent because he still has the crown and the queen -- the two things he did the murder for.
(b) He wants to repent, but cannot tell anyone what he has done.
(c) Only the weak repent.
(d) He is sure that heaven will forgive him for his crime.
8. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
(a) He died in his sleep.
(b) He was stabbed.
(c) He was stung by a serpent.
(d) He had a heart attack.
9. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do not borrow money.
(b) Be true to yourself.
(c) Do well in school.
(d) Do not talk too much.
10. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
(a) She has spent even more time with him than she used to.
(b) She has continued to see him.
(c) She has avoided him entirely.
(d) She has avoided him most of the time.
11. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Tell the world about the last king's death.
(b) Help him break the news to his mother.
(c) Help him avenge the murder.
(d) Keep his secret.
12. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
(a) Claudius wants Hamlet to sit nearby, but he prefers Ophelia.
(b) Ophelia wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Horatio.
(c) Gertrude wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Horatio.
(d) Getrude wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Ophelia.
13. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Avoid him.
(b) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Argue with him.
14. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's father.
(b) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(c) A tortured spirit.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather.
15. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
(a) Buy the fanciest clothes you can find.
(b) Nobody pays attention to what you wear.
(c) Buy the least expensive clothes you can find.
(d) Get costly, but not showy or ostentatious clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
3. After watching Hamlet and Ophelia together in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius decide to do with Hamlet?
4. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
5. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)