|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
(a) Hamlet is glad to see him.
(b) Hamlet ignores him.
(c) Hamlet does not seem to recognize him.
(d) Hamlet argues with him.
2. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
(a) Tell Prince Hamlet about the ghost.
(b) Watch for the ghost on the next night.
(c) Talk to a priest.
(d) Talk to the king.
3. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Polonius and Ophelia.
(b) Claudius and Hamlet.
(c) Gertrude and Hamlet.
(d) Gertrude and Ophelia.
4. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(b) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(c) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
(d) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
5. At the end of Act 2, Scene 2, what does Hamlet reveal about his reasons for wanting the players to perform?
(a) He thinks the players are very talented.
(b) He wants to use the play to test Claudius's conscience.
(c) He thinks the play will distract him.
(d) He thinks the play will remind Gertrude of her first husband.
6. After witnessing Hamlet's behavior during the play, what does Claudius say about his condition?
(a) Hamlet is crazy, but harmless.
(b) Hamlet is crazy and dangerous.
(c) Hamlet is not crazy, but he is dangerous.
(d) Hamlet is not crazy.
7. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They were sent for by Polonius.
(b) They came to see his father's funeral.
(c) They were sent for by the king.
(d) They came to visit him.
8. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
(a) Getrude wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Ophelia.
(b) Ophelia wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Horatio.
(c) Claudius wants Hamlet to sit nearby, but he prefers Ophelia.
(d) Gertrude wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Horatio.
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
(a) His clothes were in disarray.
(b) He was wearing the shirt she embroidered for him.
(c) He was still dressed all in black.
(d) He was wearing his father's armor.
10. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
(a) Get costly, but not showy or ostentatious clothes.
(b) Nobody pays attention to what you wear.
(c) Buy the fanciest clothes you can find.
(d) Buy the least expensive clothes you can find.
11. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is better for women than for men.
(b) We shall have no more marriage.
(c) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
(d) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
12. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
(a) He cannot repent because he still has the crown and the queen -- the two things he did the murder for.
(b) He wants to repent, but cannot tell anyone what he has done.
(c) He is sure that heaven will forgive him for his crime.
(d) Only the weak repent.
13. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
(a) Kill somebody.
(b) Get married.
(c) Pretend to be crazy.
(d) Leave the country forever.
14. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Make friends with him.
(b) Spy on him.
(c) Stay away from him.
(d) Flirt with him.
15. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's father.
(b) Hamlet's grandfather.
(c) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(d) A tortured spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamlet react when he sees the ghost for the first time?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, why is Ophelia frightened?
3. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
4. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
5. Who is Horatio?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)