|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
(a) Trumpets being blown and ordinance being fired.
(b) Men shouting and women screaming.
(c) A cock crowing.
(d) Drunken singing.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
(a) He looked like he wanted to kiss her.
(b) He looked like he had seen a ghost.
(c) He looked like he was ready to cry.
(d) He looked like he came out of Hell.
3. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
(a) He says he never loved her.
(b) He says both that he loved and he did not love her.
(c) He says he does not know if he ever loved her.
(d) He says he is still in love with her.
4. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They came to visit him.
(b) They were sent for by the king.
(c) They were sent for by Polonius.
(d) They came to see his father's funeral.
5. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
6. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do not borrow money.
(b) Be true to yourself.
(c) Do well in school.
(d) Do not talk too much.
7. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
(a) Confess his crime so the world will know about his guilt.
(b) Apologize to Hamlet for killing his father.
(c) Stand trial for his crime so he can face public justice.
(d) Commit a sin so Hamlet can send his soul to hell.
8. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
(a) Ask his son directly.
(b) Talk to the local police department.
(c) Ask his son's friends and teachers.
(d) Lie about him if that helps bring out the truth.
9. When Claudius reacts to the play, what does Hamlet say in response?
(a) "For if the king like not the comedy, Why then, belike, he likes it not, perdy. "
(b) "What, frighted with false fire!"
(c) "It would cost you a groaning to take off my edge. "
(d) "Get me a fellowship in a cry of players."
10. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Do not borrow or lend money.
(b) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
(c) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
(d) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
11. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) Poison poured in his ear.
(b) A knife in the back.
(c) Poison poured down his throat.
(d) A heart attack.
12. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Help the new king.
(b) Hire an exorcist.
(c) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(d) Get revenge.
13. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
(a) He is sure that heaven will forgive him for his crime.
(b) He wants to repent, but cannot tell anyone what he has done.
(c) He cannot repent because he still has the crown and the queen -- the two things he did the murder for.
(d) Only the weak repent.
14. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
(a) Hamlet has studied too hard at school.
(b) Hamlet is taking his father's death too hard.
(c) Hamlet is mad with love for Ophelia.
(d) Hamlet has always been a strange boy and his father's death has driven him insane.
15. What is the main idea of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
(a) Hamlet is thinking about proposing to Ophelia.
(b) Hamlet is thinking about killing himself.
(c) Hamlet is thinking about killing Claudius.
(d) Hamlet is thinking about killing Ophelia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
2. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
4. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
5. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)