|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
(a) It looks like it is crying.
(b) It looks like it is in pain.
(c) It looks like it wants to speak.
(d) It looks like it wants to scare people.
2. What does Hamlet mean when he says "I will speak daggers to her, but use none."
(a) He will try to kill Gertrude.
(b) He will speak harshly and honestly to Ophelia, but will not hurt her.
(c) He will insult Ophelia when he sees her again.
(d) He will speak harshly and honestly to Gertrude, but will not hurt her.
3. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Do not borrow or lend money.
(b) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
(c) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
(d) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
4. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
(a) Talking to Polonius.
5. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
(a) In Hamlet's bedroom.
(b) On a ship.
(c) On the platform.
(d) In the throne room.
6. Ophelia comes to watch the play. Before the play begins, how does Hamlet act towards her?
(a) He yells at her and tries to hit her.
(b) He flirts with her and makes suggestive remarks.
(c) He ignores her and pretends he does not see her.
(d) He is friendly and apologizes for his earlier behavior.
7. After watching the players give a speech about Hecuba and Priam, what does Hamlet say impresses him the most?
(a) How confident they are in their performances.
(b) How intelligent they are.
(c) How quickly they can learn new lines in a script.
(d) How much emotion they are able to summon up for a performance.
8. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
(a) Find out if his son is behaving appropriately.
(b) Find out how his son is doing in school.
(c) Find out if his son has a girlfriend.
(d) Find out if his son is getting enough to eat.
9. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is better for women than for men.
(b) We shall have no more marriage.
(c) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
(d) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
10. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
(a) He is uneasy and makes a joke about it.
(b) He is angry and asks Hamlet if he is making an accusation.
(c) He is bored and does not seem to care.
(d) He is upset and leaves before the play ends.
11. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) Protect her from the murderer.
(b) Do not blame her for what happened.
(c) What happened is her fault.
(d) She is a good woman.
12. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
13. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
(a) He looked like he had seen a ghost.
(b) He looked like he wanted to kiss her.
(c) He looked like he was ready to cry.
(d) He looked like he came out of Hell.
14. What is the main idea of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
(a) Hamlet is thinking about killing Claudius.
(b) Hamlet is thinking about killing himself.
(c) Hamlet is thinking about proposing to Ophelia.
(d) Hamlet is thinking about killing Ophelia.
15. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(b) To confirm what they have seen.
(c) To show him his father's ghost.
(d) To cover for them while they take a break.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
2. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
3. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
4. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
5. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)