|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do not talk too much.
(b) Be true to yourself.
(c) Do well in school.
(d) Do not borrow money.
2. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(b) Hamlet's father.
(c) A tortured spirit.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather.
3. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
4. After watching the players give a speech about Hecuba and Priam, what does Hamlet say impresses him the most?
(a) How quickly they can learn new lines in a script.
(b) How intelligent they are.
(c) How confident they are in their performances.
(d) How much emotion they are able to summon up for a performance.
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(b) His coronation and the war with Norway.
(c) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(d) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
6. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(b) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(c) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(d) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
7. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Do not worry about making friends.
(b) Keep your good friends close to you.
(c) Good people rarely have any friends.
(d) Good people always have lots of friends.
8. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
(a) It makes the Danes look bad to other countries.
(b) It should help him be a good leader.
(c) It is an old tradition that every king should follow.
(d) It is something he should stop doing now that he is King.
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To confirm what they have seen.
(b) To show him his father's ghost.
(c) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(d) To cover for them while they take a break.
10. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
(a) Find out if his son is behaving appropriately.
(b) Find out how his son is doing in school.
(c) Find out if his son has a girlfriend.
(d) Find out if his son is getting enough to eat.
11. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Avoid him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Argue with him.
(d) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
12. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
(a) Watch Hamlet and make sure he does not hurt anyone.
(b) Convince Fortinbras not to attack Denmark.
(c) Cheer Hamlet up and find out what is wrong with him.
(d) Convince Hamlet to go back to school.
13. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
(a) She has avoided him most of the time.
(b) She has continued to see him.
(c) She has spent even more time with him than she used to.
(d) She has avoided him entirely.
14. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
(a) He died in his sleep.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He was stung by a serpent.
(d) He was stabbed.
15. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
(a) In Hamlet's bedroom.
(b) On a ship.
(c) On the platform.
(d) In the throne room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Polonius ask Reynaldo to give to his son?
2. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
3. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
4. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
5. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)