|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
(a) She has avoided him most of the time.
(b) She has spent even more time with him than she used to.
(c) She has continued to see him.
(d) She has avoided him entirely.
2. Who is Ophelia in love with?
3. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(b) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
(c) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
(d) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
4. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
(a) Devil, demon, bane of Heaven.
(b) Fearsome creature.
(c) Angel and minister of grace.
(d) King, father, royal Dane.
5. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people always have lots of friends.
(b) Keep your good friends close to you.
(c) Do not worry about making friends.
(d) Good people rarely have any friends.
6. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Claudius and Hamlet.
(b) Polonius and Ophelia.
(c) Gertrude and Ophelia.
(d) Gertrude and Hamlet.
7. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When the cock crows.
(b) When the trumpets sound.
(c) When the sun comes up.
(d) When Horatio talks to it.
8. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) A tortured spirit.
(b) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather.
9. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) Poison poured in his ear.
(b) Poison poured down his throat.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) A knife in the back.
10. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
(a) Stop telling me what to do.
(b) Make sure you follow your own advice.
(c) Your advice is very wise.
(d) You give bad advice.
11. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) The ambassadors to Norway.
(b) Gertrude's nephews.
(c) Hamlet's old friends.
(d) Servants of the court.
12. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(b) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
(c) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(d) His coronation and the war with Norway.
13. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Stay away from him.
(b) Flirt with him.
(c) Make friends with him.
(d) Spy on him.
14. After the play, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and Claudius meet to discuss Hamlet. Polonius joins them. What does he tell Claudius?
(a) Hamlet is on his way to come see Claudius.
(b) Hamlet is acting crazy and threatening Gertrude.
(c) Hamlet is going to see his mother and Polonius will eavesdrop on their conversation.
(d) Hamlet is on his way to come see Ophelia.
15. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
2. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
4. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)