|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
(a) Off to war.
(b) To go to a new school.
(c) Back to college.
(d) To live in another country.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
(a) He looked like he came out of Hell.
(b) He looked like he wanted to kiss her.
(c) He looked like he was ready to cry.
(d) He looked like he had seen a ghost.
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To show him his father's ghost.
(b) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(c) To confirm what they have seen.
(d) To cover for them while they take a break.
4. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
(a) Watch Polonius and see if he reacts to the play.
(b) Help Hamlet kill Claudius as the play is performed.
(c) Watch Gertrude and see if she reacts to the play.
(d) Watch Claudius and see if he reacts to the play.
5. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Polonius and Ophelia.
(b) Gertrude and Ophelia.
(c) Gertrude and Hamlet.
(d) Claudius and Hamlet.
6. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
(b) Do not borrow or lend money.
(c) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
(d) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
7. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
(a) The king's advisor, Polonius.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The king who just died.
(d) The prince, Hamlet.
8. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) Reading and signing documents.
(c) Shouting and starting a fight.
(d) Drinking and celebrating.
9. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A prologue, in which they summarize the upcoming play.
(b) An opening scene that shows how much the king and queen love each other.
(c) A welcoming speech by their sponsor, Prince Hamlet.
(d) A dumbshow, in which they do not speak.
11. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
(a) It is an old tradition that every king should follow.
(b) It makes the Danes look bad to other countries.
(c) It is something he should stop doing now that he is King.
(d) It should help him be a good leader.
12. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Take him to England next summer.
(b) Take him to England right away.
(c) Take him to a doctor.
(d) Kill him.
13. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
(b) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(c) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(d) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
14. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
(a) Talk to Hamlet himself.
(b) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(c) Tell the queen.
(d) Tell the king.
15. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
(a) Find out if his son is behaving appropriately.
(b) Find out if his son has a girlfriend.
(c) Find out how his son is doing in school.
(d) Find out if his son is getting enough to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it when the play starts?
2. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
3. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
4. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
5. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)