|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
(a) He was wearing the shirt she embroidered for him.
(b) He was wearing his father's armor.
(c) He was still dressed all in black.
(d) His clothes were in disarray.
2. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
(b) We shall have no more marriage.
(c) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
(d) Marriage is better for women than for men.
3. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(b) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(c) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(d) He wishes he was not born a prince.
4. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
5. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people rarely have any friends.
(b) Good people always have lots of friends.
(c) Keep your good friends close to you.
(d) Do not worry about making friends.
6. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
(a) Convince Hamlet to go back to school.
(b) Watch Hamlet and make sure he does not hurt anyone.
(c) Convince Fortinbras not to attack Denmark.
(d) Cheer Hamlet up and find out what is wrong with him.
7. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
(a) Hamlet has studied too hard at school.
(b) Hamlet is taking his father's death too hard.
(c) Hamlet is mad with love for Ophelia.
(d) Hamlet has always been a strange boy and his father's death has driven him insane.
8. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do not talk too much.
(b) Do not borrow money.
(c) Be true to yourself.
(d) Do well in school.
9. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She has too much power over the country.
(b) She forgot his father too quickly.
(c) She is responsible for his father's death.
(d) She is grieving too much for his father.
10. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
11. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
(a) He is upset and leaves before the play ends.
(b) He is uneasy and makes a joke about it.
(c) He is angry and asks Hamlet if he is making an accusation.
(d) He is bored and does not seem to care.
12. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Polonius and Ophelia.
(b) Gertrude and Hamlet.
(c) Claudius and Hamlet.
(d) Gertrude and Ophelia.
13. After Hamlet yells at Ophelia to go to a nunnery, what does she say about him?
(a) She is angry at him because she thinks he is crazy.
(b) She is relieved that she did not marry him.
(c) She is sorry for him and for herself, because she thinks he is crazy.
(d) She is angry because she does not think he is crazy, and he has hurt her feelings.
14. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
(a) He says he does not know if he ever loved her.
(b) He says he is still in love with her.
(c) He says he never loved her.
(d) He says both that he loved and he did not love her.
15. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Drinking and celebrating.
(c) Shouting and starting a fight.
(d) Reading and signing documents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
2. What is the main idea of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
3. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
5. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)