|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people always have lots of friends.
(b) Keep your good friends close to you.
(c) Do not worry about making friends.
(d) Good people rarely have any friends.
2. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
(b) We shall have no more marriage.
(c) Marriage is better for women than for men.
(d) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
3. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(a) Very cold.
(c) Pouring rain.
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, after they have had some time to talk to Hamlet, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern say about his behavior?
(a) He has not changed at all. He's normal.
(b) He acts strangely, but does not seem crazy.
(c) He has lost his mind.
(d) He is just unhappy about his father's death.
5. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
(a) He cannot repent because he still has the crown and the queen -- the two things he did the murder for.
(b) He is sure that heaven will forgive him for his crime.
(c) He wants to repent, but cannot tell anyone what he has done.
(d) Only the weak repent.
6. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
(a) He is too frightened.
(b) He is too happy.
(c) He is too sad.
(d) He is too angry.
7. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
(a) Mentions her father.
(b) Tries to leave the room.
(c) Kisses Hamlet.
(d) Gives back the letters and gifts Hamlet gave her.
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
(a) He was still dressed all in black.
(b) His clothes were in disarray.
(c) He was wearing the shirt she embroidered for him.
(d) He was wearing his father's armor.
9. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(b) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(c) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(d) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
10. After Hamlet yells at Ophelia to go to a nunnery, what does she say about him?
(a) She is angry because she does not think he is crazy, and he has hurt her feelings.
(b) She is relieved that she did not marry him.
(c) She is sorry for him and for herself, because she thinks he is crazy.
(d) She is angry at him because she thinks he is crazy.
11. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(b) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(c) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(d) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
12. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
(a) They are fighting in a battle.
(b) They are getting ready to go to sleep.
(c) They are on watch.
(d) They are eating a meal together.
13. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
(a) Killing his brother.
(b) Having Hamlet killed.
(c) Hamlet going crazy.
(d) Marrying Gertrude.
14. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
(b) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
(c) Do not borrow or lend money.
(d) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
15. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(b) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
(c) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
(d) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
2. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
3. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
4. When Claudius reacts to the play, what does Hamlet say in response?
5. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)