|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After watching the players give a speech about Hecuba and Priam, what does Hamlet say impresses him the most?
(a) How much emotion they are able to summon up for a performance.
(b) How quickly they can learn new lines in a script.
(c) How confident they are in their performances.
(d) How intelligent they are.
2. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They were sent for by the king.
(b) They came to see his father's funeral.
(c) They came to visit him.
(d) They were sent for by Polonius.
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Hire an exorcist.
(b) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(c) Get revenge.
(d) Help the new king.
4. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Avoid him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(d) Argue with him.
5. Who is Claudius?
(a) Hamlet's brother.
(b) Hamlet's uncle and the new king.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) The Prince of Norway.
6. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
(a) He is uneasy and makes a joke about it.
(b) He is angry and asks Hamlet if he is making an accusation.
(c) He is upset and leaves before the play ends.
(d) He is bored and does not seem to care.
7. In Act 3, Scene 1, after they have had some time to talk to Hamlet, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern say about his behavior?
(a) He acts strangely, but does not seem crazy.
(b) He has lost his mind.
(c) He has not changed at all. He's normal.
(d) He is just unhappy about his father's death.
8. How does Hamlet react when he sees the ghost for the first time?
(a) He is upset and starts to cry.
(b) He is frightened and runs away.
(c) He is angry and tries to attack it.
(d) He is startled, but tries to talk to it.
9. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
(a) He is too frightened.
(b) He is too happy.
(c) He is too angry.
(d) He is too sad.
10. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(b) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
(c) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(d) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
11. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern tell Claudius that Hamlet is excited about in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Seeing the players perform.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Seeing Ophelia again.
(d) Fencing with Laertes.
12. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
(a) He was stabbed.
(b) He was stung by a serpent.
(c) He had a heart attack.
(d) He died in his sleep.
13. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
14. After the play is performed, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Go see his mother.
(b) Go see Ophelia.
(c) Go see Claudius.
(d) Ask the players to leave Elsinore.
15. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
(a) He is afraid of him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He misses him.
(d) He does not trust him.
Short Answer Questions
1. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
3. After watching Hamlet and Ophelia together in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius decide to do with Hamlet?
4. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
5. Polonius asks Claudius to arrange for Hamlet to go somewhere after the play's performance. Where is Hamlet supposed to go?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)