|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Horatio say the ghost might do to Hamlet?
(a) Curse him.
(b) Bless him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Drive him crazy.
2. After witnessing Hamlet's behavior during the play, what does Claudius say about his condition?
(a) Hamlet is not crazy.
(b) Hamlet is crazy and dangerous.
(c) Hamlet is not crazy, but he is dangerous.
(d) Hamlet is crazy, but harmless.
3. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
(a) No, Polonius does not think Hamlet is crazy at all.
(b) Not entirely -- Polonius sees some reason or logic within the craziness.
(c) Yes, but Polonius thinks it is easily cured.
(d) Yes, Polonius says Hamlet is totally insane.
4. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
(a) Stand trial for his crime so he can face public justice.
(b) Confess his crime so the world will know about his guilt.
(c) Apologize to Hamlet for killing his father.
(d) Commit a sin so Hamlet can send his soul to hell.
5. After discussing Hamlet with Polonius in Act 1, how has Ophelia interacted with Hamlet?
(a) She has avoided him most of the time.
(b) She has spent even more time with him than she used to.
(c) She has avoided him entirely.
(d) She has continued to see him.
6. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She is responsible for his father's death.
(b) She forgot his father too quickly.
(c) She has too much power over the country.
(d) She is grieving too much for his father.
7. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
(b) Do not borrow or lend money.
(c) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
(d) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
8. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
(b) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(c) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
(d) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
9. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
11. Before he returns to school, what does Laertes tell Ophelia about her boyfriend?
(a) Hamlet just wants her to sleep with him.
(b) Polonius is an abusive boyfriend.
(c) Horatio just wants her to sleep with him.
(d) As a prince, Hamlet may not get to choose who he marries.
12. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people rarely have any friends.
(b) Good people always have lots of friends.
(c) Keep your good friends close to you.
(d) Do not worry about making friends.
13. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
14. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
(a) He looked like he wanted to kiss her.
(b) He looked like he had seen a ghost.
(c) He looked like he was ready to cry.
(d) He looked like he came out of Hell.
15. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's grandfather.
(b) A tortured spirit.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
2. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
3. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
4. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
5. After Hamlet yells at Ophelia to go to a nunnery, what does she say about him?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)