|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
(a) He is bored and does not seem to care.
(b) He is upset and leaves before the play ends.
(c) He is uneasy and makes a joke about it.
(d) He is angry and asks Hamlet if he is making an accusation.
2. When Claudius reacts to the play, what does Hamlet say in response?
(a) "For if the king like not the comedy, Why then, belike, he likes it not, perdy. "
(b) "It would cost you a groaning to take off my edge. "
(c) "Get me a fellowship in a cry of players."
(d) "What, frighted with false fire!"
3. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
(a) Nobody pays attention to what you wear.
(b) Get costly, but not showy or ostentatious clothes.
(c) Buy the fanciest clothes you can find.
(d) Buy the least expensive clothes you can find.
5. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
(a) Find out if his son is behaving appropriately.
(b) Find out if his son has a girlfriend.
(c) Find out how his son is doing in school.
(d) Find out if his son is getting enough to eat.
6. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
(a) He says he is still in love with her.
(b) He says he never loved her.
(c) He says he does not know if he ever loved her.
(d) He says both that he loved and he did not love her.
7. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To confirm what they have seen.
(b) To show him his father's ghost.
(c) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(d) To cover for them while they take a break.
8. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do not borrow money.
(b) Do not talk too much.
(c) Be true to yourself.
(d) Do well in school.
9. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
(a) Talk to Hamlet himself.
(b) Tell the queen.
(c) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(d) Tell the king.
10. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
(a) Hamlet says he wants to learn to play the recorder.
(b) Hamlet asks them to teach him how to play the recorder.
(c) Hamlet says they want to play him like a recorder and get information out of him.
(d) Hamlet wants them to make the musicians stop playing the recorder.
11. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) A treaty between Norway and Poland.
(b) A love letter from Hamlet to Ophelia.
(c) A letter from Hamlet to Fortinbras.
(d) Hamlet's plan to kill Claudius.
12. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A prologue, in which they summarize the upcoming play.
(b) A dumbshow, in which they do not speak.
(c) A welcoming speech by their sponsor, Prince Hamlet.
(d) An opening scene that shows how much the king and queen love each other.
13. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
(a) They are eating a meal together.
(b) They are fighting in a battle.
(c) They are on watch.
(d) They are getting ready to go to sleep.
14. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They came to see his father's funeral.
(b) They were sent for by the king.
(c) They were sent for by Polonius.
(d) They came to visit him.
15. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(b) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(c) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
(d) His coronation and the war with Norway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
2. What is the Prince of Norway's name?
3. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
4. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
5. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)