|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ophelia in love with?
2. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
3. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(b) More sad than angry.
(d) More angry than sad.
4. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Lunch time.
(b) After midnight.
(d) Almost midnight.
5. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
6. After Hamlet yells at Ophelia to go to a nunnery, what does she say about him?
(a) She is angry at him because she thinks he is crazy.
(b) She is sorry for him and for herself, because she thinks he is crazy.
(c) She is relieved that she did not marry him.
(d) She is angry because she does not think he is crazy, and he has hurt her feelings.
7. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Get revenge.
(b) Hire an exorcist.
(c) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(d) Help the new king.
8. At the end of Act 2, Scene 2, what does Hamlet reveal about his reasons for wanting the players to perform?
(a) He thinks the play will distract him.
(b) He thinks the play will remind Gertrude of her first husband.
(c) He thinks the players are very talented.
(d) He wants to use the play to test Claudius's conscience.
9. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Go with the ghost.
(b) Tell the king about the ghost.
(c) Do not go with the ghost.
(d) Send for a priest.
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To show him his father's ghost.
(b) To cover for them while they take a break.
(c) To confirm what they have seen.
(d) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
11. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) He feels like he really is going crazy.
(b) He tells them that he wants to marry Ophelia.
(c) He tells them about the ghost and his suspicions of Claudius.
(d) He is not crazy -- at least, not all the time.
12. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(b) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(c) His coronation and the war with Norway.
(d) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
13. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
(b) Marriage is better for women than for men.
(c) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
(d) We shall have no more marriage.
14. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
(b) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
(c) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
(d) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
15. What is the main idea of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
(a) Hamlet is thinking about killing Claudius.
(b) Hamlet is thinking about killing Ophelia.
(c) Hamlet is thinking about killing himself.
(d) Hamlet is thinking about proposing to Ophelia.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
2. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
3. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
4. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
5. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)