|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) Drinking and celebrating.
(c) Reading and signing documents.
(d) Shouting and starting a fight.
2. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She is responsible for his father's death.
(b) She forgot his father too quickly.
(c) She is grieving too much for his father.
(d) She has too much power over the country.
3. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
(a) Hamlet going crazy.
(b) Marrying Gertrude.
(c) Having Hamlet killed.
(d) Killing his brother.
4. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
(a) Do not trust his promises of love.
(b) Ask him to marry you.
(c) Do not go to bed with him.
(d) Make sure he does not hurt you.
5. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
(a) He is upset and leaves before the play ends.
(b) He is uneasy and makes a joke about it.
(c) He is bored and does not seem to care.
(d) He is angry and asks Hamlet if he is making an accusation.
6. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He does not think Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(b) He is convinced that Hamlet needs to see a doctor.
(c) He is suspicious that Hamlet is not really crazy.
(d) He is convinced Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
7. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
(b) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(c) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(d) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
8. What does the ghost do to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Puts a curse on him.
(b) Smiles at him.
(c) Beckons him to follow.
(d) Ignores him.
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
(a) Hamlet argues with him.
(b) Hamlet ignores him.
(c) Hamlet does not seem to recognize him.
(d) Hamlet is glad to see him.
10. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
(a) Hamlet is telling him about the king's death.
(b) Hamlet is complaining about how Ophelia is acting.
(c) Hamlet is asking him about the life of an actor.
(d) Hamlet is coaching him on how to perform.
11. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(b) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(c) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(d) He wishes he was not born a prince.
12. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's grandfather.
(b) A tortured spirit.
(c) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(d) Hamlet's father.
13. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Daughter of Polonius, sister of Laertes.
(b) Daughter of Hamlet, sister of Horatio.
(c) Daughter of Gertrude, sister of Hamlet.
(d) Daughter of Claudius, cousin of Hamlet.
14. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(a) Pouring rain.
(d) Very cold.
15. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Take him to England right away.
(b) Take him to England next summer.
(c) Take him to a doctor.
(d) Kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Claudius?
2. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
5. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)