|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
(a) In Hamlet's bedroom.
(b) On a ship.
(c) In the throne room.
(d) On the platform.
2. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
(a) Hamlet going crazy.
(b) Having Hamlet killed.
(c) Marrying Gertrude.
(d) Killing his brother.
3. After watching the players give a speech about Hecuba and Priam, what does Hamlet say impresses him the most?
(a) How intelligent they are.
(b) How much emotion they are able to summon up for a performance.
(c) How confident they are in their performances.
(d) How quickly they can learn new lines in a script.
4. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He does not think Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(b) He is convinced Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(c) He is suspicious that Hamlet is not really crazy.
(d) He is convinced that Hamlet needs to see a doctor.
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To confirm what they have seen.
(b) To cover for them while they take a break.
(c) To show him his father's ghost.
(d) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
6. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Avoid him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(d) Argue with him.
7. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
(a) It looks like it wants to speak.
(b) It looks like it is in pain.
(c) It looks like it wants to scare people.
(d) It looks like it is crying.
8. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
9. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
(a) Polonius stole from the state treasury.
(b) Claudius stole from the state treasury.
(c) Claudius seduced his wife.
(d) Laertes seduced his wife.
10. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His mother hated his father.
(b) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(c) His mother was devoted to his father.
(d) His father hated his mother.
11. Where is Elsinore in Act 1, Scene 1?
12. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
(a) Hamlet is asking him about the life of an actor.
(b) Hamlet is coaching him on how to perform.
(c) Hamlet is telling him about the king's death.
(d) Hamlet is complaining about how Ophelia is acting.
13. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
(a) You give bad advice.
(b) Stop telling me what to do.
(c) Make sure you follow your own advice.
(d) Your advice is very wise.
14. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
(a) Pretend to be crazy.
(b) Kill somebody.
(c) Get married.
(d) Leave the country forever.
15. How does Hamlet react when he sees the ghost for the first time?
(a) He is angry and tries to attack it.
(b) He is frightened and runs away.
(c) He is upset and starts to cry.
(d) He is startled, but tries to talk to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
3. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
5. After the play, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and Claudius meet to discuss Hamlet. Polonius joins them. What does he tell Claudius?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)