|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
2. After welcoming them to Elsinore, what does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do?
(a) Convince Fortinbras not to attack Denmark.
(b) Watch Hamlet and make sure he does not hurt anyone.
(c) Convince Hamlet to go back to school.
(d) Cheer Hamlet up and find out what is wrong with him.
3. After watching the players give a speech about Hecuba and Priam, what does Hamlet say impresses him the most?
(a) How intelligent they are.
(b) How much emotion they are able to summon up for a performance.
(c) How quickly they can learn new lines in a script.
(d) How confident they are in their performances.
4. What does Polonius ask Reynaldo to give to his son?
(c) Money and written notes.
(d) Written notes.
5. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
(a) They are on watch.
(b) They are eating a meal together.
(c) They are getting ready to go to sleep.
(d) They are fighting in a battle.
6. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(b) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
(c) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
(d) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
7. Before he returns to school, what does Laertes tell Ophelia about her boyfriend?
(a) Horatio just wants her to sleep with him.
(b) Polonius is an abusive boyfriend.
(c) As a prince, Hamlet may not get to choose who he marries.
(d) Hamlet just wants her to sleep with him.
8. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Help him break the news to his mother.
(b) Tell the world about the last king's death.
(c) Help him avenge the murder.
(d) Keep his secret.
9. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
(a) To go to a new school.
(b) To live in another country.
(c) Back to college.
(d) Off to war.
10. What message do the ambassadors bring Claudius back from Norway?
(a) Fortinbras wants to take over Denmark and Poland.
(b) Fortinbras does not plan to attack any country at all.
(c) Fortinbras will attack Poland, not Denmark.
(d) Fortinbras wants to take over Denmark.
11. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) A tortured spirit.
(b) Hamlet's father.
(c) Hamlet's grandfather.
(d) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
12. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The king's advisor, Polonius.
(c) The king who just died.
(d) The prince, Hamlet.
13. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He is suspicious that Hamlet is not really crazy.
(b) He is convinced Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(c) He does not think Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(d) He is convinced that Hamlet needs to see a doctor.
14. What country did the late King go to battle against?
15. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
(b) Do not borrow or lend money.
(c) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
(d) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
2. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
3. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Who is Claudius?
5. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)