|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To cover for them while they take a break.
(b) To confirm what they have seen.
(c) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(d) To show him his father's ghost.
2. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A dumbshow, in which they do not speak.
(b) A welcoming speech by their sponsor, Prince Hamlet.
(c) A prologue, in which they summarize the upcoming play.
(d) An opening scene that shows how much the king and queen love each other.
3. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They were sent for by the king.
(b) They came to visit him.
(c) They came to see his father's funeral.
(d) They were sent for by Polonius.
4. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) A love letter from Hamlet to Ophelia.
(b) A letter from Hamlet to Fortinbras.
(c) Hamlet's plan to kill Claudius.
(d) A treaty between Norway and Poland.
5. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
(b) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
(c) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
(d) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
2. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
3. After Hamlet yells at Ophelia to go to a nunnery, what does she say about him?
4. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
5. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)