|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
(a) He refuses to speak.
(b) He answers with a riddle.
(c) He threatens to kill more people.
(d) He laughs.
2. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
(a) They came to see his father's funeral.
(b) They were sent for by Polonius.
(c) They came to visit him.
(d) They were sent for by the king.
3. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Send him to a doctor.
(b) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(c) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
(d) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
4. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
(a) Apologize to Hamlet for killing his father.
(b) Confess his crime so the world will know about his guilt.
(c) Stand trial for his crime so he can face public justice.
(d) Commit a sin so Hamlet can send his soul to hell.
5. What does Polonius ask Reynaldo to give to his son?
(c) Money and written notes.
(d) Written notes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main idea of Hamlet's "To be or not to be" speech?
2. Who does the ghost claim to be?
3. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
4. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
5. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)