|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
(b) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
(c) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(d) Send him to a doctor.
2. What does Ophelia she say about the herb rosemary?
(a) The rosemary died when her father died.
(b) Rosemary stands for remembrance.
(c) Rosemary stands for thoughts.
(d) Rosemary is her favorite plant.
3. What time of day is it when the play starts?
(a) Late at night.
(b) After dinner.
4. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(b) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
(c) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
(d) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
5. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
(a) Tell the king.
(b) Tell the queen.
(c) Talk to Hamlet himself.
(d) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
2. Where is Elsinore in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 2, what does Hamlet reveal about his reasons for wanting the players to perform?
4. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)