|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
(a) Hamlet wants them to make the musicians stop playing the recorder.
(b) Hamlet says he wants to learn to play the recorder.
(c) Hamlet says they want to play him like a recorder and get information out of him.
(d) Hamlet asks them to teach him how to play the recorder.
2. After watching Hamlet and Ophelia together in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius decide to do with Hamlet?
(a) Have a private talk with him.
(b) Send him to a hospital.
(c) Send him back to school.
(d) Send him to England.
3. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(b) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
(c) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
(d) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
4. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Do not go with the ghost.
(b) Send for a priest.
(c) Tell the king about the ghost.
(d) Go with the ghost.
5. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(b) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
2. What does the ghost do to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
4. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
5. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)