|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Send for a priest.
(b) Go with the ghost.
(c) Do not go with the ghost.
(d) Tell the king about the ghost.
2. Hamlet makes an ominous statement about married people: "those that are married already, all but one, shall live." What does that mean and who is he talking about?
(a) Everyone who plans to be married soon should be killed, except one person: Ophelia.
(b) Everyone who is currently married will stay alive, except one person: Polonius.
(c) Everyone who is currently married will be killed, except one person: Gertrude.
(d) Everyone who is currently married will stay alive, except one person: Claudius.
3. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is not crazy.
(b) He is determined to get revenge.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
4. What does the ghost do to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Puts a curse on him.
(b) Ignores him.
(c) Smiles at him.
(d) Beckons him to follow.
5. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) A love letter from Hamlet to Ophelia.
(b) A letter from Hamlet to Fortinbras.
(c) Hamlet's plan to kill Claudius.
(d) A treaty between Norway and Poland.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
2. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
3. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
4. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
5. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)