|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His mother was devoted to his father.
(b) His father hated his mother.
(c) His mother hated his father.
(d) His parents barely spoke to each other.
2. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) What happened is her fault.
(b) Protect her from the murderer.
(c) She is a good woman.
(d) Do not blame her for what happened.
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
(a) Hamlet does not seem to recognize him.
(b) Hamlet ignores him.
(c) Hamlet argues with him.
(d) Hamlet is glad to see him.
4. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A prologue, in which they summarize the upcoming play.
(b) A dumbshow, in which they do not speak.
(c) A welcoming speech by their sponsor, Prince Hamlet.
(d) An opening scene that shows how much the king and queen love each other.
5. After watching Hamlet and Ophelia together in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius decide to do with Hamlet?
(a) Have a private talk with him.
(b) Send him to England.
(c) Send him to a hospital.
(d) Send him back to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
2. Before he returns to school, what does Laertes tell Ophelia about her boyfriend?
3. After the play is performed, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern ask Hamlet to do?
4. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
5. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)