|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message do the ambassadors bring Claudius back from Norway?
(a) Fortinbras wants to take over Denmark.
(b) Fortinbras wants to take over Denmark and Poland.
(c) Fortinbras will attack Poland, not Denmark.
(d) Fortinbras does not plan to attack any country at all.
2. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(b) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
(c) Send him to a doctor.
(d) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
3. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is better for women than for men.
(b) We shall have no more marriage.
(c) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
(d) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
4. What does the ghost do to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Puts a curse on him.
(b) Smiles at him.
(c) Beckons him to follow.
(d) Ignores him.
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To cover for them while they take a break.
(b) To show him his father's ghost.
(c) To confirm what they have seen.
(d) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ophelia in love with?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
3. What does Hamlet mean when he says "I will speak daggers to her, but use none."
4. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
5. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)