|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) He tells them that he wants to marry Ophelia.
(b) He tells them about the ghost and his suspicions of Claudius.
(c) He feels like he really is going crazy.
(d) He is not crazy -- at least, not all the time.
2. Ophelia comes to watch the play. Before the play begins, how does Hamlet act towards her?
(a) He flirts with her and makes suggestive remarks.
(b) He yells at her and tries to hit her.
(c) He ignores her and pretends he does not see her.
(d) He is friendly and apologizes for his earlier behavior.
3. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(b) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
(c) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(d) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
4. Before he returns to school, what does Laertes tell Ophelia about her boyfriend?
(a) Hamlet just wants her to sleep with him.
(b) Horatio just wants her to sleep with him.
(c) Polonius is an abusive boyfriend.
(d) As a prince, Hamlet may not get to choose who he marries.
5. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Hamlet's old friends.
(b) The ambassadors to Norway.
(c) Servants of the court.
(d) Gertrude's nephews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
2. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
4. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
5. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)