|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
(a) Watch Gertrude and see if she reacts to the play.
(b) Watch Claudius and see if he reacts to the play.
(c) Watch Polonius and see if he reacts to the play.
(d) Help Hamlet kill Claudius as the play is performed.
2. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
(a) No, Polonius does not think Hamlet is crazy at all.
(b) Yes, but Polonius thinks it is easily cured.
(c) Yes, Polonius says Hamlet is totally insane.
(d) Not entirely -- Polonius sees some reason or logic within the craziness.
3. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Avoid him.
(d) Argue with him.
4. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
5. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(b) Send him to a doctor.
(c) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
(d) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
3. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
4. Before he returns to school, what does Laertes tell Ophelia about her boyfriend?
5. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)