|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
(b) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(c) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(d) His coronation and the war with Norway.
2. When Claudius hears that Hamlet has killed someone, what does he say?
(a) Hamlet needs to be sent to jail.
(b) Hamlet might have killed him.
(c) Hamlet is a brave man.
(d) Hamlet needs to be executed.
3. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
(a) He misses him.
(b) He is afraid of him.
(c) He loves him.
(d) He does not trust him.
4. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
(a) Find out how his son is doing in school.
(b) Find out if his son is getting enough to eat.
(c) Find out if his son is behaving appropriately.
(d) Find out if his son has a girlfriend.
5. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
(b) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
(c) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(d) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
2. What does Horatio say the ghost might do to Hamlet?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
4. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
5. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)