|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A dumbshow, in which they do not speak.
(b) A welcoming speech by their sponsor, Prince Hamlet.
(c) A prologue, in which they summarize the upcoming play.
(d) An opening scene that shows how much the king and queen love each other.
2. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
(a) Talk to a priest.
(b) Watch for the ghost on the next night.
(c) Talk to the king.
(d) Tell Prince Hamlet about the ghost.
3. At the end of Act 4, Scene 2, what does Hamlet agree to do?
(a) Talk to Gertrude.
(b) See a doctor.
(c) Go to England.
(d) Go see the king.
4. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
(a) His words and thoughts are not enough to convince heaven to forgive him.
(b) He says the right words, but they do not reach heaven because his thoughts are on earth.
(c) He does not speak his thoughts.
(d) His words lie, but his thoughts tell the truth.
5. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(b) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(c) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
(d) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
2. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
3. Who is Horatio?
4. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
5. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)