|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
(a) Gertrude is talking about the dead king, but Hamlet is talking about Claudius.
(b) Getrude is talking about Claudius, but Hamlet is talking about the dead king.
(c) Hamlet has decided to act crazy even with his mother.
(d) Gertrude is using the dead king to force Hamlet to behave himself.
2. Ophelia comes to watch the play. Before the play begins, how does Hamlet act towards her?
(a) He flirts with her and makes suggestive remarks.
(b) He ignores her and pretends he does not see her.
(c) He is friendly and apologizes for his earlier behavior.
(d) He yells at her and tries to hit her.
3. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
(d) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
4. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
5. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
(a) Make sure you follow your own advice.
(b) Stop telling me what to do.
(c) You give bad advice.
(d) Your advice is very wise.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hamlet visits his mother in her room in Act 3, Scene 4, he speaks very harshly to his mother. What makes him stop?
2. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern tell Claudius that Hamlet is excited about in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
5. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)