|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) A love letter from Hamlet to Ophelia.
(b) A letter from Hamlet to Fortinbras.
(c) Hamlet's plan to kill Claudius.
(d) A treaty between Norway and Poland.
2. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He is suspicious that Hamlet is not really crazy.
(b) He is convinced Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(c) He is convinced that Hamlet needs to see a doctor.
(d) He does not think Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
3. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
(a) Hamlet has always been a strange boy and his father's death has driven him insane.
(b) Hamlet is mad with love for Ophelia.
(c) Hamlet has studied too hard at school.
(d) Hamlet is taking his father's death too hard.
4. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
(b) Send him to a doctor.
(c) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
(d) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
5. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(b) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
(c) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
(d) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
2. When Claudius reacts to the play, what does Hamlet say in response?
3. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
4. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)