|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 4, Scene 2, what does Hamlet agree to do?
(a) Go to England.
(b) Go see the king.
(c) Talk to Gertrude.
(d) See a doctor.
2. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is crazy.
(b) He is determined to get revenge.
(c) He is not crazy.
(d) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
3. Who is Ophelia?
(a) Daughter of Hamlet, sister of Horatio.
(b) Daughter of Claudius, cousin of Hamlet.
(c) Daughter of Polonius, sister of Laertes.
(d) Daughter of Gertrude, sister of Hamlet.
4. When Hamlet and his mother finally talk in Gertrude's room, she says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." Hamlet responds, "Mother, you have my father much offended." Why is that dialogue important?
(a) Gertrude is talking about the dead king, but Hamlet is talking about Claudius.
(b) Hamlet has decided to act crazy even with his mother.
(c) Gertrude is using the dead king to force Hamlet to behave himself.
(d) Getrude is talking about Claudius, but Hamlet is talking about the dead king.
5. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(b) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(c) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
(d) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
2. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
3. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern tell Claudius that Hamlet is excited about in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. When Hamlet leaves his mother's room in Act 3, Scene 4, what does he take with him?
5. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)