|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
(a) Yes, Polonius says Hamlet is totally insane.
(b) Not entirely -- Polonius sees some reason or logic within the craziness.
(c) No, Polonius does not think Hamlet is crazy at all.
(d) Yes, but Polonius thinks it is easily cured.
2. After Hamlet yells at Ophelia to go to a nunnery, what does she say about him?
(a) She is angry at him because she thinks he is crazy.
(b) She is sorry for him and for herself, because she thinks he is crazy.
(c) She is relieved that she did not marry him.
(d) She is angry because she does not think he is crazy, and he has hurt her feelings.
3. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
(b) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(c) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(d) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
4. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(b) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(c) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
(d) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
5. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
(a) He is still a prince.
(b) The people of Denmark love him.
(c) He is crazy, but not a bad person.
(d) Gertrude will be upset if they are hard on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
2. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
3. After hearing about Hamlet's strange behavior, what does Polonius say about his own decisions?
4. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
5. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)