|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the murder, Claudius tells Hamlet to leave right away. Where should Hamlet go?
(a) Back to school.
(c) Off to prison.
(d) To be locked in his room.
2. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
3. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(b) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
4. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
(a) He is sure that heaven will forgive him for his crime.
(b) He wants to repent, but cannot tell anyone what he has done.
(c) Only the weak repent.
(d) He cannot repent because he still has the crown and the queen -- the two things he did the murder for.
5. When he is asked where his first victim's body is, what does Hamlet do?
(a) He threatens to kill more people.
(b) He refuses to speak.
(c) He answers with a riddle.
(d) He laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
2. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
3. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
4. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
5. Who does Hamlet kill in his mother's room?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)