|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
(c) The ambassadors to Norway.
(d) Laertes and Ophelia.
2. Hamlet's attitude towards Rosencrantz and Guildenstern changes over the course of the play. By Act 4, Scene 2, what does he say about them?
(a) They are dangerous.
(b) They are spies for Claudius.
(c) They are weak and foolish.
(d) They are good, true friends.
3. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) He feels like he really is going crazy.
(b) He tells them about the ghost and his suspicions of Claudius.
(c) He tells them that he wants to marry Ophelia.
(d) He is not crazy -- at least, not all the time.
4. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When the cock crows.
(b) When the trumpets sound.
(c) When Horatio talks to it.
(d) When the sun comes up.
5. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
(a) Talk to the king.
(b) Watch for the ghost on the next night.
(c) Tell Prince Hamlet about the ghost.
(d) Talk to a priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Claudius finally gives Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sealed orders for how to handle Hamlet. What do those orders say?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
3. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
4. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
5. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)