|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, why is Ophelia frightened?
(a) She saw a fight between Claudius and Hamlet.
(b) She saw the ghost talking to Hamlet.
(c) She had an unpleasant encounter with Hamlet.
(d) She saw Hamlet slap Gertrude in the face.
2. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(b) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(c) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
(d) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
3. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(b) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(c) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(d) He wishes he was not born a prince.
4. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Reading and signing documents.
(b) Shouting and starting a fight.
(d) Drinking and celebrating.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
(a) He was wearing the shirt she embroidered for him.
(b) He was still dressed all in black.
(c) His clothes were in disarray.
(d) He was wearing his father's armor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
2. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
3. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does Hamlet tell Ophelia about his feelings for her?
5. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)